Menu

Can I be sad for a minute?

AimeeM

My mom, niece, and nephews called to wish me a happy birthday. My 8 year old niece got on the phone and I asked her what was on her Christmas list (trying to get ideas early). I was thinking about trying to get her an AG doll (I gave her some of DD's old AG books last time she came to visit). 

She said a tablet... and her daddy :( 

Her dad is in jail for trying to kill her mom (my sister), and the children, or at least in front of the children. He will be going to/transferred to prison soon. To top it all off, they are about to lose their house and probably move in with my mom.

I feel so sad for her. For all of them. 

I know. I can't do anything for her and it kills me. 

As much as it hurts to say it, I think losing the house is for the best, long-term. So many bad memories. On top of that, my sister has struggled to keep up with it, financially, for so long and it has taken such a toll on her emotionally. Staying with my mom will allow her to set aside money more easily, and in a supportive environment. 

My mom, niece, and nephews called to wish me a happy birthday. My 8 year old niece got on the phone and I asked her what was on her Christmas list (trying to get ideas early). I was thinking about trying to get her an AG doll (I gave her some of DD's old AG books last time she came to visit). 

She said a tablet... and her daddy :(

Her dad is in jail for trying to kill her mom (my sister), and the children, or at least in front of the children. He will be going to/transferred to prison soon. To top it all off, they are about to lose their house and probably move in with my mom.

I feel so sad for her. For all of them. 

Oh my...talk about some childhood memories. Are the kids in counseling? Mom could most likely benefit too. Big Hugs. At least you know your sis is safe now.

Oh my...talk about some childhood memories. Are the kids in counseling? Mom could most likely benefit too. Big Hugs. At least you know your sis is safe now.

Mom hasn't the time. She's working more than full time just to try to keep a roof over their heads. She's resisting the gentle prodding to contact the DV center for help (they have resources to help her, both with counseling and financially). She is only just now considering counseling for the children, I think. 

I know it's fairly common for a woman in her position, but still hard for me to understand (I would never say that to her, though) - she still loves him and is hoping he will get out of this somehow, I think :( 

I'm pretty sure she's only considering counseling because Niece's emotional state is spilling over into school and I think the school may be pushing for it (the counseling). I'm not sure, though.

Don't get me wrong - she's a great mother... she's just still pretty emotionally dependent on BIL, regardless of what has happened, and is having a hard time distancing herself (and the children). 

I'm not sure how to talk to her about it, what to say, or what to do right now. DH will not help her financially any more (and as hard as it is, I agree with him), as she apparently used some of the cash assistance we've given to send to her husband in jail, or to bail him out of other things (this wasn't the first incident). DH will send her food and things like that DIRECTLY, and will buy things directly for the children, but...

Well, I'm rambling. I'm sorry.

Aimee, it's a great idea to send food and gifts.

I think the behavior she displays is quite common - even in the face of such harrowing evidence that he needs to be locked up. If drugs or alcohol were part of it, she may be thinking he is a wonderful guy when he is sober, or not depressed, or taking his meds, etc. Any excuse is a good excuse. Her whole life has turned upside down. Encourage her to go to counseling if you can.

Gentle but smart support is what your dh and you are offering already - blessings to all of you!

Aimee, it's a great idea to send food and gifts.

I think the behavior she displays is quite common - even in the face of such harrowing evidence that he needs to be locked up. If drugs or alcohol were part of it, she may be thinking he is a wonderful guy when he is sober, or not depressed, or taking his meds, etc. Any excuse is a good excuse. Her whole life has turned upside down. Encourage her to go to counseling if you can.

Gentle but smart support is what your dh and you are offering already - blessings to all of you!

Drugs, alcohol, and mental illness (the drugs and alcohol seemingly an attempt to self medicate the mental illness, even though he had a psychiatrist, court ordered counseling, and medications available to him - he didn't always like taking the medications).

He wasn't a good guy when sober, but many years ago, before the mental illness and substance abuse surfaced, he WAS a good guy - I can attest to that, so I do see why she struggles. He was a kind, considerate man who would have given anybody the shirt off his back - playful, a loving partner, and a good father. Shortly before they married, things started going downhill quickly, but for many years prior, when they were dating, he was a very "steady" guy. 

Drugs, alcohol, and mental illness (the drugs and alcohol seemingly an attempt to self medicate the mental illness, even though he had a psychiatrist, court ordered counseling, and medications available to him - he didn't always like taking the medications).

He wasn't a good guy when sober, but many years ago, before the mental illness and substance abuse surfaced, he WAS a good guy - I can attest to that, so I do see why she struggles. He was a kind, considerate man who would have given anybody the shirt off his back - playful, a loving partner, and a good father. Shortly before they married, things started going downhill quickly, but for many years prior, when they were dating, he was a very "steady" guy. 

Is it possible he was on his best behavior to win her over, and relaxed & showed her who he really was once he thought he had her?

Sounds like she's mourning who she thought he could be, and not who he actually is.

Is it possible he was on his best behavior to win her over, and relaxed & showed her who he really was once he thought he had her?

Sounds like she's mourning who she thought he could be, and not who he actually is.

I don't care the man, but I have to say - I don't think he did so. They dated for years and years before marrying.