Menu

Exercise - what do you do, and how did you start?

StaceyinLA

This is something I have GOT to start doing. I need to make it a non-negotiable part of my daily routine. The problem is, I have zero initiative or desire to do so. 

It's not a weight issue, but it's an overall long-term health issue.

How do I start, and what do I do?

I signed up for CrossFit in March. It's really awesome.

The things that make it work out great for me are that the workouts are very customizable to people's fitness levels, and very intense. Also, I go early in the morning and always on the same days. It's sort of spendy, so I'm not about to miss a class I've paid for. There is a pretty consistent group of people at the class I go to and they're super.

For me, making the "big" decision took a while, but it erased all of the little decisions about whether to exercise on any given day. I do a lot better with things in general when I'm not making the decisions 100x. And then it turns out that I really truly enjoy the chosen exercise.

What do you enjoy doing??  For me, I hate gyms and I hate doing workout dvds at home by myself.  So in 2006 I started doing kung fu and a cardio kickboxing class at a martial arts studio that my brother and cousins were training at.  That was the first time I ever focused on exercising regularly and I loved the atmosphere of working out with a bunch of people that were all doing the same thing and motivating others.  I still do the kickboxing class but not kung fu because of time issues.  Other forms of exercise I love our hiking and speed walking but the weather has to be right for that because I overheat very quickly.

Sometimes you have to experiment with different workouts before you find one you love.  If you find one you love its easy to make it a daily routine

I think it varies a lot by interests.  For me it was finding something that I could stick with.  I do have a weight issue and needed something low impact.  I searched craigslist for used stationary bikes and found one in good condition for not a lot of money.  I have been using it 6 days a week and worked my way up from 10 minutes a day to now doing 30.  Part of sticking with it is making it fit into my schedule/routine, and forcing myself to push through even when I don't want to do it.  I get up a bit earlier each day so I have time to ride the bike and then stretch afterward.  If I don't manage to get up on time, then I make myself set aside another time in the day and do it then.  It took several months for it to become routine for me.  I put on my music on my iPod and listen to that while I workout.  It is my chance for "me time" each day.

I saw a couple of things that made me think,  "I need to learn to do that!"    It's true, I bit off a rather large chunk, but it's all about the journey right?

Exercise doesn't have to be Jillian Michaels or  PX90.    Just getting yourself moving in some way can be very beneficial.         

Did you see the video someone posted in the exercise thread?   I think it's very well done.    You should join us over there.    

I walk daily outside either with my kids or after my kids are in bed (they are very young). That's what I need for my particular joint/muscle issues--a treadmill aggravates them. During the winter, I go to the local university or the city rec center and walk on their indoor track.

One thing that keeps me motivated is audio books. I listen to a book when I walk and it makes it much more enjoyable.

ETA: I read a book about doing the most important thing or things in your day before breakfast--so that's nurturing yourself physically, mentally, or spiritually; nurturing your relationships with others; and/or nurturing your vocation/career. People who exercise first thing in the morning are more likely to be consistent--I used to do it that way, but I have twin nurslings and I'm up half the night with them, so getting up before everyone else to exercise is not working right now.

Start small, with 10 minutes of a chosen activity, for instance. You'll often find that you will want to continue after the 10 minutes. Getting started is the hardest part.

I go out and run every day. I have been doing this for 40ish years. It is the time I think about what needs to be done for the day. My runs are more like scoots according to my kiddos. I run slower than most walkers.

It is also the time PE for my children gets done. I have always put them on a bike, Rollerblades, scooters or whatever. They come with me. It was also the time when all flashcards work was done during the elementary years. And every dog I have owned went, too. Multitasking at its finest.

I do it daily because I would go insane without that time. I spend about 50 minutes going 3 miles. Yep, I said I was slow.

I started to burn calories. I chose running specifically because I did not have to shower and put on makeup before I went.

Good luck.

I started with simply walking/hiking because it's easy, I love being outdoors, and there are great trails near my home. I'd say start with whatever you are most likely to actually DO, even if it's not ideal or intense enough by someone else's definition.

That's all I did for a year. Then I started adding more. I attended barre classes first, and I really liked that. But I wanted more variety, so I joined a gym that offers barre as well as a variety of other classes, and tons of machines. I like group exercise, because that seems to motivate me more and keep it a lot more fun than exercising alone. And I'm a total introvert, I don't do it because I like talking to people. I do it because the energy of the group seems to increase my own energy.

Another thing that helps is to schedule it. Set aside one hour that will be your exercise time every day, and keep it just like you would any appointment. Also schedule one or two days a week that you do not exercise, so you can relish the break, guilt-free.

The book Younger Next Year for Women was really motivating for me. Podcasts can be great too.

I am in no way affiliated with the company, but I started the Beachbody home fitness programs about a year ago now and LOVE them.  I started with one called Chalene Extreme, then did P90X3, now Chalene Johnson's PiYo.  What I love about them is that they come with a whole set of DVDs and a schedule so that you do different workouts each day and every few weeks you get entirely new ones to do and everything gets changed up.  I've found them so effective and fun and I never get bored like I used to. 

What do you enjoy doing??  For me, I hate gyms and I hate doing workout dvds at home by myself.  So in 2006 I started doing kung fu and a cardio kickboxing class at a martial arts studio that my brother and cousins were training at.  That was the first time I ever focused on exercising regularly and I loved the atmosphere of working out with a bunch of people that were all doing the same thing and motivating others.

This is exactly why Aikido is the first exercise I've ever been able to stick with.

Think non-traditional, and figure out what you can fit into your life.

I suggest P90X3. It will strengthen your ankles, wrists and lower back. It only takes 30 minutes and you can do it at home.

I used to love Tae Bo, which takes no equipment and you can find it at target for $10, but I found more benefit for myself with more advanced programs.

You could also do C25K, or C210K, which will get you running for an hour. I advise you get very expensive running shoes if you go that rout. Personally I feel that running is a great mom thing. Podcasts, fresh air, music, and an aggression release.

I haven't been very good about exercising for a long time so I started just walking regularly again. I'd like to add in more, but for now this is working. I've lost 10 lbs. this summer really just with the walking. The two things that have made me be consistent are to get a FitBit Zip and to get a dog. The Zip motivates me by showing the data and the dog makes me actually do it even when I want to stay in bed. Without the dog I worked hard to get 10,000 steps a day, with the dog and I'm averaging 12-13,000 without trying hard and on a good day I have 18,000-20,000 steps. 

how to start - you just do.

20 minutes 3x per week is a basic and good first place to start if you have no initiative.  walking is underrated for the benefits.  find some trails where you are, and take your kids for a 'home school' nature hike.

what?

what do you like?  try different things.

I originally added yoga for the flexibility while I was regularly using a x-cntry skier.  then I fell in love with the yoga, which has many benefits. (and there are many different teachers/dvds and they're all different.  you might hate one and love another.).   I've added a barre to my rotation to add variety and because it looked like a more strenuous workout that would build muscle.  (and I did too energetic of a grand pliĂƒÂ© - and my knee is making me pay, so I've had to back off and just let it heal.)

When I started some 15 years ago, I had a special needs baby in the house, and I live in Oregon where many months of the year it is dark and rainy in the mornings (I'm more of a morning person, so for me doing exercise first thing in the morning is the way for it to be done). I do not need a social outlet or external motivation, and I'm a bit of a cheapskate, so with childcare needs, weather, and introversion factored in, I prefer exercise at home to in a gym or on the streets. So I ended up getting a treadmill. I use it early in the morning when the kids are still asleep. For the first 10-12 years all I did was walk on it. Now I jog 3 days (5 mph--not very fast) and I walk the other two. Works well for me.

I've found I like the sort of exercises that grow with you.  So they are easy when you start, which is encouraging for me, yet as you get better, they get harder.  So you don't have to learn a new set of exercises, but instead get to keep discovering new aspects of what you already know - get a deeper understanding and experience.  I've also found I like defined programs - do this, this, and this, and you are done - and ones that allow you to do the whole thing from the beginning and you learn it more and more as you go, just by doing it with focus, instead of having an initial learning curve.  I just want to *do* the thing, not have to stop and rewind and modify and generally put in a lot of study before I can get on with the exercising part.  And I like to have quickish success - not necessarily with weight/inch loss, but just *something* noticeable.  And programs that grow with you and you can learn as you do them have provided that for me - every day I notice something new, get better at some aspect :).

I started with a stress relief program that combined gentle yoga and meditation, because I wanted to increase my body awareness.  Funnily enough, though I didn't pick it for the stress relief part, three weeks into the program I discovered that I had a *ton* of buried stress :lol:.  Anyway, the increasing body awareness and decreasing stress was enough to keep me going.  And the increased body awareness led to my wanting to do more and more with it, to step up what I asked it to do, to do some actual strength building with it.  I went with T-Tapp, which I've enjoyed so far - I get better every time I do it and become aware more and more of my body.  I started with the Basic Workout, but it went too fast for me, and I ended up with Senior Fit, which has been *perfect*.  Goes slow, is centered around the basic form and so has a lot of good repetition to cement learning the form while still being interesting all the way through.  It's a bit long - the learning workout is 67min and the regular one is 47min - but the stress relief program got me in the habit of doing 45min a day, so it's worked out fine.  T-Tapp MORE would be my pick for a shorter, but slow-moving, workout.

I run. I don't want to exercise with others or chat and I don't want to drive or pay. The chances I would work out to a DVD are almost zero. I tried some from the library. Not my cup of tea. I have come to really like my alone time. I started by walking as fast as I could. I then would run as long as I could, walk until I could breathe, rinse, repeat. I'm competitive with myself so I tried to get better every week. It's my private thing I don't have to share. I added in kettle bell/resistance training after I started to like my body and wanted to see changes. I have done yoga since college but it wasn't vigorous enough to whip me into shape. I still practice though because I like it. I bike ride once or twice/week too because it is fun. You don't have to pick just one thing. Maybe yoga one day/walk/ swim/ bike ride alternate again. Variety is the spice of life.

I joined Curves about three years ago. I go 3-4 times a week, at the same time each day. The camaraderie really helps me to keep going. The ladies really encourage each other. A few of the ladies that I workout with have actually started serving in a soup kitchen together. We do that once a month. We tend to chat a bit during and after working out. Love it!

Well, we have a treadmill. We bought our first one because we wanted to walk and didn'r have a good place to do it. We stopped for a few years then started back again. Then I stopped for a couple of years and now I'm walking again. The only good thing about walking for me is being able to watch tv while I walk. We put the treadmill in our bedroom. We now have some great places to walk but I would rather use the treadmill and tv then go outside.

I think it really depends on your personality and the time you can dedicate. I am an introvert with a dog - walking is for me :laugh:  I got a fitbit about a month a go and realized how much more I really needed to walk,. Today I ran a little. I hope to up my step goal and run some in the middle of my walks - my dog is very excited about that possibility! 

Well, I would agree with others it depends on YOU! I do things that I find fun and challenging. Have you ever thought there was something you would like to learn to do? 

14 yrs ago I realized I had put on 30 lbs from Depo. So I jumped into examining my diet and started exercising. At first I just joined a gym and started trying out the treadmills and various weight machines. I found I really enjoyed walking and weights and I moved onto free weights. I kept with various combos of things, different at different times. 1 yr in someone introduced me to yoga and  loved that too and did it for a year on my own with books and videos before finding a local studio. I practiced at the studio until it closed, about 5 yrs or so. Later I found another studio and practiced throughout my second pregnancy. I've also done various workout classes at different gyms pilates, bootcamp, kickboxing etc. trying whatever I thought sounded good. 

Over the years dh and I have also enjoyed biking and hiking as well.We generally do lots of family walks/hikes although at various times during the last few years I've not been able to do much of anything due to Hashimotos.

I did Crossfit for awhile. I did it on my own as there was no gym anywhere close when I started. Eventually there was one a couple hours away that I trained at for a few months but I decided it wasn't really what I wanted to do anymore. I did p90x before baby #3.

These days we've added kayaking, canoeing and rock climbing to the list. I LOVE rock-climbing and if we had a local gym I'd do that all the time. We still enjoy walks. I'm doing bodyweight exercises, I've enjoyed those for a good while. I still remember the first time I tried to do a pushup I had been working out for years and was in pretty good shape but couldn't do one at all, it was so awesome when I was able to really nail them ( I felt the same way when I finally nailed the pull-ups doing p90x).

I've rarely ran though. It isn't my thing. I'm not much of a swimmer either although I did take lessons at one point and tried. I tried one class of TKD and was meh. I'm not interested in any dance classes - although I did try water zumba at some point. 

That is really long winded, just to say there are lots of ways to be active, not one way is the right way so I feel I might as well have fun and if I'm not having fun I'll try something else. Doing fun things excite me and keeps me motivated. My dh is trying to find his groove right now with exercising and that has been great as we've been doing even more fitness activities together, we try to do this at least once a week, having an active family is a big goal of ours at this point. I don't see exercise as just something to get done but being active as a lifestyle, ymmv. I think of all the cool activities I wanted to do, I mean really we are adults and there are so many cool things out there. Life is too short to be boring :) I want to dh build me an obstacle course with my own rock wall next and if they had them here I think pole dancing sounds cool, not because of the sexy factor (although dh wouldn't mind I'm sure) but man, those ladies sure build some strength and flexibility! OH, and surfing sounds neat. I've done some skating but not much but I could see getting into that.

Oh, the other thing I'm doing lately is working on the monkey bars. We did goape- goape.com- last week for our anniversary. I believe we'll be doing a Warrior Dash. I've been working on the monkey bars trying to prep for this and just for fun. 

I'm so rambling.... I was mainly just addressing the motivation aspect, trying to highlight the fun stuff out there. When I started I just jumped in with what was easy as I hadn't a clue about anything but I was motivated because I wanted to lose weight and get in better shape, you have to find your own motivation. 

I would either start walking, then add 10 girls push ups, or try a variety of exercise classes to see if there is anything that interests you. Try yoga, barre, zumba, pilates, whatever seems fun, or at least not like pure torture to you.

Whatever you do, DON'T try Bikram or hot yoga until you have a good level of fitness. Regular cool yoga is plenty intense. :o

I started doing yoga a few years ago and got into the habit of exercising regularly. The little studio I was going to closed so I started running because I wanted to lose some weight. I also didn't want to join a traditional gym. I started to hate running and wasn't exercising much for several months. I decided that it would be better for me to walk regularly than to run infrequently. So now I walk 4 miles pretty consistently, usually 3-4 days a week. I walk outside. I would hate walking on a treadmill.  I know it's not running and I don't get my heart rate quite as high but I actually really enjoy it. I look forward to it. 

My advice is to think about what you wouldn't mind doing and do that. If you don't like it you probably won't keep up with it no matter what the health benefits are. Are you an outdoorsy person? Would you like doing classes at a gym? Do you like weight machines or something like a treadmill or elliptical? Do you want to do a sport like softball or volleyball? 

HTH,

Elise in NC

Thanks for all the ideas! My problem is, I don't really LOVE anything I can do on a regular basis. I'd love hiking, but have nowhere to hike. I love volleyball, but there is nowhere to play regularly. I don't want to join a gym or anything because they are all at least a 20 minute drive and I know that'll discourage me.

I guess I'll start with walking, and maybe some other exercises then go from there. I think I'd like to do a little weight training for strength also once I get a little stamina going.

The thing I like about walking outside is that you go so far, then you HAVE to walk back! lol

I need built-in incentive.

I really like my bodymedia monitor--just got back on it a few days ago and it is highly motivating for me.

Dd and I are on Day 3 of Couch to 5K. I am so out of shape, running 60 seconds is a challenge (at least by the 6th time...you cycle 60 secs running/jogging with 90 secs of walking 3X the first week for 20 mins). It's embarassing not to be able to run more than a minute at a time, but you know what? I DID IT.

Also, the place I do it is the graveyard on our property.

Interesting to ponder that as I am thinking, "I'd better finish this or I'm going to end up there a heckuva lot sooner than I want to, and it'll be my own dang fault."

Thanks for all the ideas! My problem is, I don't really LOVE anything I can do on a regular basis. I'd love hiking, but have nowhere to hike. I love volleyball, but there is nowhere to play regularly. I don't want to join a gym or anything because they are all at least a 20 minute drive and I know that'll discourage me.

I guess I'll start with walking, and maybe some other exercises then go from there. I think I'd like to do a little weight training for strength also once I get a little stamina going.

What are your specific goals with exercising? Do you want to tone upper and/or lower muscles; do indoor vs outdoor; be with a group; increase aerobic fitness; play a sport?

You may not be able find one form of exercise to achieve it all, nor do you have to. You can do several things throughout the week, with each activity adding one part to your fitness goals. For example, walking is low-impact (few injuries),weight baring to help maintain bone density, cheap, easy to do on own or with children/friends, but you're not going to gain much muscle or aerobic endurance, and it takes a lot of walking to burn many calories (though it keeps you away from food). So as long as you don't get really hungry after a walk and eat a ton, it's great.

Volleyball is hard to play on your own, though you may want to try similar games such as wallyball (volleyball in a racquetball court), beach volleyball. Other ball games where you could probably transition quickly to could be racquetball, squash and tennis.

Weight training is great, though make sure you get some training in correct body positioning and lifting technique as well as an appropriate training schedule so you can get the most out of your time with unnecessary injuries.

All the best on your personal fitness journey!

I second T-Tapp.  The best overall health-building workout I've ever done!  I've used it for years now and it improves not only my body, but my thinking, my sleeping, my attitude and other things I won't mention here!  I can never recommend it highly enough!   And I hate exercising btw.  The whole right side of my body is misaligned so I can't run or walk or bike enough to make it worth doing really, but T-Tapp is a challenging workout that actually helps my alignment issues.

I hope you find something that works well for you! 

Another vote for a treadmill, mainly because it's mindless exercise and you can set your own pace.

I just bought a new one. It's the Epic A42t and I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods. It has a lot of nice features, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I tried out several different brands, from the very low-priced ones up to the crazy-expensive ones that I would have been too cheap to buy even if I'd loved them, and the one at Dick's was my favorite.

Though pretty expensive, we finally bit the bullet to get a gym membership with child care. However much I want to just bike around with the kids in the neighborhood, run, or exercise when DH got home to watch the kids it wasn't working out (so to speak).

I do elliptical work outs for 30-45 min, then machine weight lifting for 15-30 min x 3-4 days per week. We after school and during the school year we walk the 1+ mile round trip daily. Eventually we will bike to school but DC aren't there yet. I use my fitness pal to just record weight amounts so I know how much I am lifting at each machine I use. But the app also allows you to record food, aerobic exercise, etc.

Honestly, the child care has been the biggest motivator for me! And our gym has a huge indoor slide system for older kids which the kids love too. 

ETA: - saw your other replies and realize this won't work for you.  I'd say look into a fun sport you may want to try that's nearby: karate, archery, swimming, dancing, etc?

As others have stated, there are a million ways to exercise.  So, except to suggest checking out Fitness Blender website (so that you can find various exercises, if you want) I'm not going to rehash them.  I'm going to suggest some ways to think about exercise.

1.  You need some specific and measurable goal(s).  "More strength and stamina" is not specific or measurable.  This really matters, because you won't ever feel like you are making any progress or getting your goals met if you have nothing to measure it by.  The goal needs to be something that really matters to YOU.  If weight lifting isn't your hobby/sport, then increasing your deadlift by 20lb isn't a goal that's going to matter to you, even though it's specific.  Here's one from my own life that will sound goofy, but mattered to ME.  I wanted to be able to kneel during mass without my back/hip hurting.  So figure out what is motivating this desire to have have more strength and stamina and build your goal around THAT. 

2. Be honest with yourself about what you are and aren't willing to do.  A lot of people will tell you "exercise in the morning", but if the truth is that you aren't getting enough sleep already, you aren't going to last by scheduling yourself to get up earlier to exercise.  If you abhor something, say weightlifting, you aren't going to do it.  One of my exercises is running, but I have a lot to do in the morning during the week, and I'm someone who absolutely requires 7 hrs a night.  Since my dh and I got to bed around 10:15, there was no way I was going to bed earlier so I could get up earlier.  I'd only get an hour or so with him after the kids went to bed. Not for me.  So during the week I run around 9am, after I've been up for a while, had my breakfast, and done a bunch of morning chores.  On my Sat long runs (where I run outside instead of on our treadmill) I do run earlier to beat the heat, but I don't have all those weekday responsibilities, either.

3. You are going to have to give something up in order to exercise.  The fact is, that right now you are already filling your 24 hrs.  So, unless you are going to short your sleep in order to exercise (which I would never do, I think it would be healthier to give up the exercise over the sleep), you are going to have to eliminate something from your life.  Come to terms with this now, or you will be perpetually "not finding the time".  What I give up is an earlier end to our school day.  My 15 year old watches the 3 year old while I exercise.  Which means around here schoolwork often doesn't start until around 10:30a, and often goes until 4 or later. 

4. You may have to experiment, a lot, to find your right mix of exercises.  I never thought I'd be a runner.  I started out of desperation to do something.  Figured I'd hate it, but suck it up and get it done, because at least it was efficient.  Well, it turns out I am a runner and it suits me.  I can't say that I "love" it (though I think I am learning to like it) but I like the feeling of accomplishment that I get from getting better (faster or longer or whatever).  I started with C25K, like lots of people, and felt that 60 seconds was going to kill me.  Now my short runs are 3 miles and my long runs are 7.  I may not love running, but when I get home from a 7 mile run I feel like a total bada$$.  I like kicking the treadmill up and seeing if I can go just a little bit faster than usual.  My point is, be willing to try things that you don't think you'll like, regardless of why you think you won't like them. 

5. Learn about and use the hard/easy training principle.  Neither your body nor your mind can take day after day of hard training.  You will quickly learn to hate your workout.  You'll dread it.  You will create an aversion which will make the next workout progressively harder to build your mind up to.  So you don't do 2 hard days back to back.  Example from my own training: yesterday was hard.  I ran 3 miles in the morning, then met a friend that night at Planet Fitness and did 30 minutes on the arc trainer, plus various strength exercises.  That was a hard day.  Today I'm doing easy yoga.  This is an easy day.  Tomorrow I will do a speedwork run (hard) and maybe some strength training.  Thur I will do pilates (easy).  Fri I will do a short, slow run (easy).  Sat I will do a long run (hard).  Sun is rest.  You do not get stronger while you are exercising.  You get stronger when you are recovering from exercise.  You must build those recovery days in or you will never get stronger, only tired, and maybe even sick if you push it to overtraining syndrome.

6. Be willing to invest $$.  It doesn't have to be a ton right away, but good sports bras (regardless of what you do), comfortable exercise clothes, and reasonably good shoes are a minimum.  Exercise equipment  is a "you get what you pay for" deal.  So when you are ready to start buying, learn about the equipment and what you need to get equipment that will satisfy you before you buy.  If you decide to try exercise videos, be willing to spend money regularly to replace them (even if the same kind of video) because you will quickly get bored listening to the same person say the same thing.

Good luck!  You can do it!

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but you can also spread your exercise throughout the day. I do it with the rebounder (hop on a few times a day for 10 minutes) and also randomly do squats and knee lifts for like 3 minutes or so several times a day. Squats will give you a very nice hiney.  ;)

One thing more to add: if you are the type that likes checklists and completing things....look for a program where you can see your progress as you move through it.  I believe that this is why C25K is so helpful to a lot of people.  Most people use an app, and they can check off after they've done a workout.  They can see that they are X number of workouts through the 8 week program. 

There is a lot of cognitive behavorial therapy type research that backs up how powerful this is for most people.  You don't need to do C25K or running.  But find something where you can plot your progress through a course of action.

I think success (success meaning that you continue with it for the long haul) in exercising boils down to two simple things:

1. Find something you like to do. You will have a hard time continuing something you dislike. BUT everything will be hard at first, so give it time before you bag it.

2. Just do it! Nike said it best. There will be days that you're not going to feel like doing it, but do it anyway. You will ALWAYS be glad you did. I find it easiest if I pick a regular time.

I bought a 16 dollar pedometer (don't go cheap, it;s a waste) Stick it in my pocket and do whatever  I have to do to get 10K steps.

So I check it throughout the day. On sedentary days, I look at it at lunch time and go "I better figure out a time to walk this afternoon."

Karate, kickboxing, and kali/silat.

I started karate first because I was trying to help my son when he first started (he was 4 at the time) and the sensei suggested I join the adults class to learn more. I loved it. I started kickboxing to get in better shape so I could do better in karate/sparring. I recently started kali/silat which is a different martial art with a different instructor to expand my knowledge base but I still study primarily with my original sensei.

I don't like gyms. At all.  I don't like having to dedicate 1-1.5 hours a day exercising and that is what first got me interested in Bodyrock/Daily Hiit. Their exercises are on Youtube, free, and are only 12-15 minutes long. They have a huge Facebook following and a website. It is high intensity interval training so at the end of the 12 minutes you are wiped. I figure if I can't handle 12 minutes a day than I will never be able to get in shape. I toss in yoga every few days or the same day if I am motivated and call it a day. I have fallen off the wagon several times over the 3 years I have been doing it but I am back at it this summer and plan to stick with it. For real this time ;)