Menu

S/O Never called for jury duty

PuddleJumper1

Anyone else never been called for jury duty? I think I'd find it quite fascinating to sit on a jury but I've never been called. From where do they pull people's names for possible duty? I've had a driving license and been registered to vote since I'm 18, have lived in 3 states in my adulthood (7 to 14 years in each) but have never been contacted. Seems odd to me to never be contacted. 

They use the voter registration lists.

I've been told to report for jury duty once, but it turns out that my previous state still had me registered to vote. I was not required or even permitted to serve on a jury in that state, since I no longer live there. A few years later, I'm STILL trying to get myself off their voter registration rolls ... just a few days ago, I received a questionnaire I was required to fill out and send back, for jury duty, in a state where I haven't lived since 2006 ... I still can't figure out how to get off their voter rolls, even though I'm registered in a different state and actually living in a different country!

They must use more than that though.  My husband has been called a few times and he is not a citizen so there is no way they got his name off of a voter registration list.  And that has been in 2 different states.

Maybe it's different in different states? South Carolina, the state that keeps calling me, uses the voter rolls.

Is your husband even eligible to serve on a jury? I thought you had to be a citizen ...  :confused1:

I was called once, after I had just had my 5th baby.  (I was barely home from the hospital.)  I was able to get out of it due to circumstances, but would have enjoyed it otherwise!  That was years ago!  That daughter was actually called for jury duty six months after she turned 18, but was about to leave the country for a year so couldn't go.   I think my husband has been called once or twice. 

Don't quote me on this, but I believe in my state is was ruled that using voter registration was discriminatory and they now use state issued IDs and licenses.

I looked it up. Where I am, they pull from voter registration, drivers licenses, and state IDs. The federal court here pulls only from voter registration.

Maybe it's different in different states? South Carolina, the state that keeps calling me, uses the voter rolls.

Is your husband even eligible to serve on a jury? I thought you had to be a citizen ... :confused1:

I'm in SC. We use licenses and state IDs also.

I was only called once - and it was right after we moved from VA to FL, but the notice was for VA, so of course, I was exempt from even having to show up.

I've always been registered to vote (and voted) and have had my driver's lic since I was 15.  I have no idea why I've slipped through the cracks, but it doesn't disappoint me much.  I'm rather neutral about it.

Hubby has been called twice, but never got on a jury.  Well, that's wrong, he did get on one once, but the case was settled before trial, so he never had to follow through.

I'm in SC. We use licenses and state IDs also.

I could have sworn the website I looked at said it was only the voter rolls ... but it was for federal courts, not state. Maybe it's different in SC with federal v. state court. I don't think I've ever been called for jury duty on a state court.

I don't know if they do this everywhere, but here they also send out questionnaires to determine who is eligible.  So these are not a summons, but just a questionnaire to find out if you are eligible at all.  That has at least resulted in them no longer sending a summons to my husband.

I've never seen one of those either. 

I could have sworn the website I looked at said it was only the voter rolls ... but it was for federal courts, not state. Maybe it's different in SC with federal v. state court. I don't think I've ever been called for jury duty on a state court.

Yes, you're right for federal court. I've only been called for federal once and it was cancelled the morning it was supposed to start. DH has never been called for federal. We always get called for county and local courts.

My husband keeps getting called.  I haven't, so far.

I've wondered if they have trouble getting enough men so that their juries aren't skewed towards women.  There are somewhat fewer men in the retirement age categories -- http://www.indexmundi.com/united_states/sex_ratio.html  -- and they may tend to pull more people from that age group as they either are no longer working, or are more secure in their jobs. 

Men may also try to get out of it more often?

This all being based on one data point means it probably doesn't mean anything.

They use the voter registration lists.

They use SSA list more likely or IRS list.

Hubby was called before we got our green card and we though it was from DMV. I was called before green card and before I apply for my non- driver's ID at DMV. So the only list we were on is SSA and IRS. It's by the state.

I was called once in VA but was exempt because I am an attorney.  I was never called again.

I was called a few months ago in FL and being an attorney does not exempt you.  I went and sat with about 100 other people.  We filled out a form that asked what you did for a living, what your spouse did for a living, whether you or a family member had ever been a victim of a violent crime, and whether any member of your immediate family works in law enforcement.  30 of the 100 were randomly selected to be taken up to be questioned by the lawyers in court.  Of those 30 I think 6 were going to be chosen.  I was one of the 70 who was sent home.  They told us that counts as jury duty so I can't be called again for either 1 or 3 years (can't remember).

I was kind of hoping to be selected.  I practiced corporate law and have never been inside a courtroom in my life.

My husband has never been called.

I was called once in VA but was exempt because I am an attorney.  I was never called again.

I was called a few months ago in FL and being an attorney does not exempt you.  I went and sat with about 100 other people.  We filled out a form that asked what you did for a living, what your spouse did for a living, whether you or a family member had ever been a victim of a violent crime, and whether any member of your immediate family works in law enforcement.  30 of the 100 were randomly selected to be taken up to be questioned by the lawyers in court.  Of those 30 I think 6 were going to be chosen.  I was one of the 70 who was sent home.  They told us that counts as jury duty so I can't be called again for either 1 or 3 years (can't remember).

I was kind of hoping to be selected.  I practiced corporate law and have never been inside a courtroom in my life.

My husband has never been called.

I didn't know there were states where attorneys were exempted.  Dh is an attorney and was called in WA.  He ended up not being selected because he's an attorney, but it was a problem for the defense because they had already refused others for different reasons (and since the other side knew the defense would refuse dh, it seems like they were able to use that to their advantage).  Since attorneys are nearly always not selected, it does make sense to exempt them to avoid problems like that.

I received several notices when we lived in California, always deferred because I was caring for babies and small children. Dh served on a jury once when we lived there. We've never been called up when we lived in other states.

I've been called a couple times that I recall.  The first time, there was a law that lawyers couldn't serve on juries, so I got out of that one.  The next time was when my kids were preschoolers.  Being a single working mom of preschoolers as well as a key player in the business I co-own was the reason I gave for needing to be excused.  I haven't heard from them since.

I was called once but it was a week before my due date. They wouldn't accept the note from my midwife but said that I had to go in-person to request the exemption. I guess they wanted to see with their own eyes that I was hugely pregnant.

DH gets called every few years so it's weird that I've only ever been called up once in my life. I've been registered to vote since I was 18 and have had a drivers' license since I was 17.

dh gets called all the time. He never gets picked. 

I've been called twice. My jurisdiction has an exception for primary caregiver of a person who has disabilities. I've used this exception both times. 

ETA: I've been registered to vote since 18 and had a driver's license since 16.

I get called about once a year, but am always able to get out of it. I do want to serve some day, but I can't now with young children and my lifestyle. However, I doubt if they'll ever pick me as long as we live in this county since my bil is a prosecuting attorney.

I've gotten called several times, but have never actually even gone to the courthouse. The first time I got a breastfeeding exemption. The second was about a month before we moved. I had the option to request a delay, so I did, and then we moved out of state before my next time came up. I don't remember why I requested a delay - I wouldn't have actually minded doing it. I think it was supposed to be helping at DS's day camp that week. The next time was shortly after my baby was born. They didn't have a breastfeeding exemption, but when I explained the accommodations I'd need for pumping on the pre-form they sent, they never called me. The last time, I actually was called for a specific date, but when I called the day ahead of time to find out if I actually needed to report, it turned out I was excused.

Nope.  I have never once been called for jury duty.  I'm kind of disappointed actually.  I want to be on a big case though.  You know, the kind where they put you up in a hotel.  I could use a good holiday.  ;)

James Bond got called for jury duty once.  He was in Afghanistan at the time, and he would gladly have come back to serve on a jury, but apparently being deployed is an automatic out.    <_<

I used to get called about once a year from the time I was 18 until I got married.  Since then I have only been called once.  I think it could be interesting to serve on a jury, but I never have.  Usually I just sit at the courthouse all morning and then get sent home.  Last time I tried to get out of serving because I was breastfeeding an infant that wouldn't take a bottle.  They didn't excuse me, but limited my term to three days.  I didn't end up having to go in.

My DH has been getting called a lot in the last few years.  I am always amazed when they let him serve on a jury.  He is a reserve police officer, the son of a retired Sheriff, and knows almost all the local law enforcement.  One would think a defense lawyer wouldn't want him, but they seem to like him.

I've been called but never served. The first time, I had moved out of the state (and the letter had been sent to my mother's old address). I received it late and they wanted me to mail them a copy of my license in my new state.

The second time, DS was an infant. I wrote in that I was at home with him all day and nursing him. I was granted a deferral. They sent me another notice 4 months later! I was like, um, yeah, he's still a baby, and I have no plans to put him in anyone else's care. They excused me. If called now, I'd have to ask to be excused again. I do not have childcare for him, he is too young to be legally left alone, and the law does not require DH's employer to accommodate my jury duty, only his.

I've been called twice. The first time I was to report the day before my wedding, after which I was immediately moving out of state. I called in and was dismissed over the phone. The second time, I called the night before and my jury number was not on the list, so I didn't report that time. The second one fulfilled my "responsibility" for whatever time it is because I had to be available. 

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. I have never been called, in any of the places we've lived (and if they look at voter registration I always vote).  I'm 46, so I've been around a while.

Now that I've been involved with debate for a couple of years, I actually think it would be interesting to serve. 

I've never been called but dh has been several times. Recently he was called in and was almost picked on a death penalty case. He was scared when it kept getting later and they were dismissing people yet he was still there. He was relieved he was let go in the end. He spent the entire day sitting directly across from the accused guy and it wore on him. He was especially relieved he wasn't picked when the trial recently ended and the guy was given the death penalty.

I had always thought it would be interesting but dh's recent encounter has made me rethink that.

I've never been called but dh has been several times. Recently he was called in and was almost picked on a death penalty case. He was scared when it kept getting later and they were dismissing people yet he was still there. He was relieved he was let go in the end. He spent the entire day sitting directly across from the accused guy and it wore on him. He was especially relieved he wasn't picked when the trial recently ended and the guy was given the death penalty.

I had always thought it would be interesting but dh's recent encounter has made me rethink that.

I was called up about 15 years ago and sat on a trial for a guy who was driving without a license, and it was interesting and eye-opening.   DH was called up a couple of years ago and picked for this horrible child abuse case.   He was beside himself, he said he could barely sit there without puking during the preliminary stuff.   Thankfully, the accused decided to just confess(or whatever you call it) right before the trial started and so they didn't need a jury after all.

I think I have been called four times. I've never served. Once I had just started a new job days before. I'm not sure that got me out of it. I think I had to call in and wasn't needed. Two times I had infants or was the only caregiver of my homeschooled children.  The last time I was moving to a different town before my term on the jury would have begun. Although I really couldn't do it any of those times, I think it would have been interesting. Kind of intimidating to have justice be in my hands, but interesting.

DH was called once and served on a jury for an armed robbery case. I asked if the deliberations were difficult, but he said it was blatantly obvious the guy was guilty.

My dad has never been called for jury duty. Except for his college years, he has lived in the same town his entire life.  He's 80.

I am 44 and I've never served on a jury.  I've been called twice in my life.  the first time I would have liked to have done it but it was the day before the first day of college fall classes.  The second time, I could have done it although it would have been inconvenient.  I made it to questioning and the defense lawyer irritated me (and I think the rest of the jury).  

The defense lawyer tried to get me thrown off for cause, but because he'd irritated me I made sure he had to use one of his Without Cause allotments

I've gotten the letters that tell me to call an automated line every night for a week to see if they need me, but it always tells me that I am not needed. I would actually like to be a juror, but I doubt that a defense attorney would keep me on a jury. I would not have a problem being unbiased, but I doubt they would see it that way :glare: .  I have been told several times that close relatives of law enforcement are often removed from the pool. My dad and brother are both local law enforcement. I think I would do a good job though.

I've been called four times.  

Twice before children, both times the phone system said I wasn't needed.

Twice after children.  First time, I had a 7-week old that I was b*feeding.  The ped doc faxed over a letter, and I was excused.  Second time, I was homeschooling a 7 y.o. and 10 y.o. I faxed over my county paperwork and was excused.

Now I really don't have an excuse, and I figure that my time is coming :driving:.  We'll see!

I'm 20 and have yet to be called  :tongue_smilie: I know I just jinxed myself, too. I'm sure I'll be posting in a few weeks about my letter.

In all seriousness, there are specific cases I could not serve on due to past traumas. I know some judges are accommodating to that, but not all. 

Also, my brother is a police officer, so the defense may not want me if the case has a lot of police officer witnesses or is a crime against an officer or what have you. 

I've gotten the letters that tell me to call an automated line every night for a week to see if they need me, but it always tells me that I am not needed. I would actually like to be a juror, but I doubt that a defense attorney would keep me on a jury. I would not have a problem being unbiased, but I doubt they would see it that way :glare: .  I have been told several times that close relatives of law enforcement are often removed from the pool. My dad and brother are both local law enforcement. I think I would do a good job though.

A friend of mine served WHILE he was a judge at a different level.  He said that everyone knows that it is bad idea, but occasionally you get a clueless lawyer or someone representing themselves.  He named a Supreme Court judge that had served on a jury.  

I've never been called or served.  I'd be stricken during voir dire anyhow because I'm an attorney (I'm not currently licensed w/ the bar, I took associate status to focus on my family) but I would love, love, LOVE to serve on a jury. I would LOVE to see the dynamic of how the jurors make decisions.  I would PAY to go to jury duty.

Dream come true.  But I don't think it will happen.   :crying:  :nopity: 

DH just reminded me that I did get called years ago to Federal jury duty, but the courthouse was 2 1/2 hours away in LA while we lived on an Army base in the Mojave Desert. There was no public transportation from where we lived down to the courthouse and our one car was registered in Delaware (we were allowed to keep the tags as DH was active duty military). I just wrote on the exemption form that I had no transportation and got excused. So that's twice in the 19 1/2 years I've been an adult.