Menu

If your library had bed bugs

indigomama

If your library had bedbugs..  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Would you feel comfortable going there ever again?

• Yes, if they treated for the bugs
    • Heck no!
    • Other

Our library closed last week, for a few days to treat for bed bugs. They said, that the bugs were only on the chairs, but......it completely grosses me out.

I don't want to go back, but buying all the books we would check out is going to get very expensive.

What would you do?

How do you treat a library for bed bugs? Didn't someone here once say that bed bugs can hide in the spines of books? If not, I'd go to the library myself without the kids, get in, get what I need, and get out without touching the furniture. I'd be creeped out too. I bought a lot of books when my kids were younger because I didn't like our library systerm but that did get expensive.

I would talk to them and find out how they were treating the library, if they are treating all locations, and storage and how they plan to progress as they go forward.  

You can get bedbugs anywhere, but honestly knowing that there was a problem would make me unlikely to go back for at least 6mths or so. It would be cheaper to buy/resell books than to deal with bedbugs at home. 

I didn't know bed bugs were a real thing.

Are they like roaches? (ie resistant to everything, including the first 10 phases of the apocalypse?)

A very, very real, hard to get rid of thing.  For many years they were kept at bay by various pesticides.  Now they're resistant and seemingly everywhere.

I would talk to them and find out how they were treating the library, if they are treating all locations, and storage and how they plan to progress as they go forward.  

You can get bedbugs anywhere, but honestly knowing that there was a problem would make me unlikely to go back for at least 6mths or so. It would be cheaper to buy/resell books than to deal with bedbugs at home. 

I haven't called them yet, I should. I figured they were getting lots of calls, and was going to wait.

And that's a good point about buying and reselling.  My problem tends to be when I buy books, I just keep them all. I should think about selling some to help fund my new book need :)

I'd probably take my chances with the bugs. What I will not do, however, is go anywhere near the library's upholstered chairs. When I was with the Friends of the Library, the library director came to us to ask for money to have the chairs cleaned and explained in horrific detail just why they needed cleaning so often. 

I know it's just as bad with any kind of public seating, including airplane seats, but knowing the specific details of those particular chairs? *shudder*

Funny...someone was just talking to me about this. They said the treatment is to heat the house/building to a certain temperature for a certain amount of time. The bedbugs can't withstand the heat.

But to answer your question...I might still check out books, put them in a plastic bag in my car and park in the sun. I don't know if I would ever sit in the chairs again.

Dumb question, but, can you microwave books to kill the bugs? I know that's what they recommend you do to wood figurines that might have termites.

Well, I went off to google and the RFID tag will spark in a microwave. I wonder about an oven? How long and how hot does it need to be to kill the critters?

Our good friends had bed bugs in the fall, and it was a nightmare lasting many, many months with multiple pesticide treatments.  We've also gotten bitten in 3 different hotel rooms, so I've already been strategizing what to do about travel and library books.  

I'd probably call the library to see if they're using chemicals or heat.  Heat tends to be more effective, but more expensive.  If it's chemicals, I'd assume there could still be bugs and would probably not take my kids there or sit on any furniture.  Even if it's heat I'd be wary. 

In summer I'd check out books and leave them in my trunk for a few days in the sun.  Also I'd keep the shoes I wore in the garage.  I have been considering getting a Packtite to heat treat luggage and library books before they come in the house, but haven't sprung for it yet.  But if I heard that our library had bedbugs, I'd get the Packtite.  Given the critters' resistance to pesticides, I think they're going to be with us for some time.

Amy

It would depend on which library.  Some counties I do not trust enough to return.  Other counties I might suck it up and go again.  I would also be concerned if they were a branch that shared books, because bedbugs looooove to travel . . .

Blech.

This never occurred to me. The very idea terrifies me utterly.

I'd want to know how they treated. There are companies who do this for libraries. They come in with big trucks and treat the books and building etc. My dh is a librarian so I've heard about the technology. His libraries have never needed it. But, my husband is an academic librarian and his library is well funded compared to a typical community library.

Compared to what you would have to pay to get rid of bed bugs in your house, Amazon marketplace seems like a good deal.

I would need assurances from the library that they had a follow up and the building is 'clean'.

No way, but I am the one who won't go to ANY library in case of bed bugs. I think there is just about no way that more libraries are not contaminated. I have read about some libraries keepingcthe issue quiet and spot treating. Getting rid of bed bugs costs a small fortune once you have them. ((Shudder.))

I'd probably take my chances with the bugs. What I will not do, however, is go anywhere near the library's upholstered chairs. When I was with the Friends of the Library, the library director came to us to ask for money to have the chairs cleaned and explained in horrific detail just why they needed cleaning so often. 

I know it's just as bad with any kind of public seating, including airplane seats, but knowing the specific details of those particular chairs? *shudder*

Yeah, if I was responsible for furnishing a library the chairs would not have fabric upholstery. I would cover them with some kind of vinyl that could be wiped clean. Yeah, that kind of ruins the big comfy reading chair experience but I think if most people realized what kinds of things transpire in library chairs they wouldn't be comfortable sitting in them anyhow. 

I would if they heat treated by people who are professionals in dealing with that large of a building and all the books. I would need some MAJOR convincing.  I would  NOT be back if they treated with just chemicals.  I would want to know who was doing the treatment and some really, really deep information on what was being done.  If they were just trying to "spot" treat. NOPE!  NO WAY!!! 

We ended up with bed bugs last summer and it was a nightmare.  We couldn't get rid of them!  It was MONTHS before I was sure the nasty creatures were out of my house.  The cost was extreme...not just the treatment (multiple required) but what we had to replace because the chemicals didn't seem to be cutting it on some of the furniture, so we gave up and burned them.  

I deleted my vote after thinking some more because when we had scabies, I wound up doing a lot of things I sincerely thought I would never under any circumstance even consider doing. :(

Mini Update: I called our library. They used a chemical treatment. And will use another chemical treatment in a couple of weeks. They didn't feel they needed to use a heating treatment, yet.

I love books, but I would steer clear of that library for a good long while! I would also be concerned about the other libraries in the area if they participate in an interlibrary loan program. :ack2:

I work with a number of hotel housekeeping managers.  Everyone should believe that they have been exposed to bed bugs.   The real issue is whether management has a proactive plan when the bugs are suspected/detected.  

How did the library find the bed bugs?  If it was with a bed bug sniffing dog, there is the possibility that there aren't live bugs, but just residue from bugs that have previously been there.  I am choosing to take reasonable precautions, but I am not willing to avoid going places that I would otherwise frequent due to bed bugs.  

I voted yes, but was assuming heat treatment. I live in a town that has been hit hard with bedbugs. I wouldn't trust chemical treatment and would need to see at least six months with no new reports before I deemed the library safe again.

With chemical treatment...nope.  I would avoid them for several months at least. 

So, going forward you have to decide.  Do you buy and hope that the warehouse you buy from doesn't have bedbugs?  Or do you gamble with books you know have been exposed?  

Does anyone know if freezing the books when you get them home would affect them?  If there were live ones in the books, would the the cold kill them? 

Ugg!  

I wouldn't be bringing books from that library into my house.  IF I did they would stay in a sealed plastic bag and be removed only to be read (at the kitchen table, over hardwood floors) then put right back in the bag.  

The more I think about this the more I realize it is quite possible that any library we enter has bed bugs (or will at some point).  I think we are going to have a new "no library books upstairs" rule (downstairs is mainly wood and leather).