Menu

How do you use kale?

Debbi in Texas

I made some for the first time when I made some chicken soup recently. It came out great, so I think throwing it in a soup might be a good way to use it.

I ate a bit raw and I do not like the taste of raw kale so I wouldn't think a salad is a good choice.

My absolute FAVORITE!!!

Sauté the Kale in Olive Oil- when it gets soft, add in minced garlic, smidgin' of lemon juice, handful (or more) of slivered almonds and a handful (or more) of raisins- cook for a few minutes more. When it's done sprinkle some feta over it and toss.

I'm telling you- it's SO good!

Besides sauteeing with a little olive oil and cooked bacon, I make kale pesto. Made with kale, pepitas, parmesan cheese, olive oil, salt and pepper. Chop the kale in the food processor before adding the other ingredients. I use it on homemade pizza dough with tomatoes, parmesan and goat cheese. Or on pasta. In fact I made pesto pizza for lunch today. It was delish.

In a marinated salad:

1/4 cup EVOO

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1 t. Honey

Mix dressing and pour over kale torn into bite sized pieces. Rub dressing into kale. Refrigerate at least several hours, better overnight.

Cut up one tart and one sweet apple and toss with salad.

Rip into smaller leaves and saute it in butter with minced garlic (take out the big center vein first).  Then mix into the frying pan 1 cup of heavy cream, 3 slices of chopped turkey bacon, I cup of halved grape tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Now dump it all into a casserole dish.  Make 6 wells in the dish and crack a raw egg into each well.  Bake 1/2 hour at 350 degrees.  Makes a great main dish and even my kids love it!

Kale soup...adapted from a recipe in a Susan Branch cookbook

1 lb kale, thoroughly washed (I just use two bunches, whatever that weighs…maybe ½ lb?)

1.5 lbs linguica

3T butter

2T olive oil

½ c celery, chopped

1 c onions, chopped

½ c carrots, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

4 medium potatoes, diced

8 c chicken stock

4 c beef broth

28 oz diced tomatoes

14.5 oz stewed tomatoes

1-19 oz can garbanzo beans

1 tsp basil

1 tsp thyme

Sea salt, fresh pepper, to taste

Directions

Use tender part of kale only – leaves only, no stems. Chop into fairly small pieces – set aside. If using fresh tomatoes, peel, seed and chop them and set aside. Prick linguica with fork and drop into boiling water for 10 min. to get rid of the fat. Cut into 1/2†slices and quarter them. (If using Italian sausage, frit it; drain fat; reserve.) Melt the butter and oil in a large heavy soup pot; add celery, onions, carrots and garlic. Cook slowly till soft – add potatoes, chicken stock and beef broth. Bring to boil; reduce to simmer and cook, partially covered for 15 minutes until potatoes are cooked through. Stir in tomatoes and garbanzo beans. Simmer 15 minutes more. Add kale, linguica, basil, thyme and salt & pepper to taste. Simmer about 7 minutes more.

Well, first we slice it into thin strips, then we take a small amount.....

...and feed it to the rabbit. I have a great (I think) sautéed kale and bean dish that I like, but the rest of the family won't touch kale on general principle. Ranks right up there with collard greens.

I had a delicious kale salad at a restaurant yesterday. It had grated carrots and dried cranberries, and it was amazingly good. I would have thought kale was too tough to use in a salad but maybe the dressing tenderizes it. At any rate, it had a very nice texture and great flavor combinations. I'm planning to try to recreate it at home.

In a marinated salad:

1/4 cup EVOO

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1 t. Honey

Mix dressing and pour over kale torn into bite sized pieces. Rub dressing into kale. Refrigerate at least several hours, better overnight.

Cut up one tart and one sweet apple and toss with salad.

We also eat kale in a marinated salad. Our recipe has the above ingredients but also apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, salt, & pepper. We top with apples, onion, raisins, cashews, and diced chicken.

Even my kids love it.

I also sometimes add it to breakfast casseroles.

I also cook it with sausage & sweet potatoes - all in one pot until done. You can add apples to this as well.

Rip into smaller leaves and saute it in butter with minced garlic (take out the big center vein first). Then mix into the frying pan 1 cup of heavy cream, 3 slices of chopped turkey bacon, I cup of halved grape tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Now dump it all into a casserole dish. Make 6 wells in the dish and crack a raw egg into each well. Bake 1/2 hour at 350 degrees. Makes a great main dish and even my kids love it!

Yum! Gonna try that!

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/oc6n23/stand-up-jim-gaffigan--jim-gaffigan---kale-propaganda

Just for fun. I love kale, but my family finds this hysterical.

That was hilarious.  I love Jim Gaffigan.

I can honestly say I've never had kale.  Is it anything like collard greens?  If so, I will run screaming the other way.  I hate collard greens.  They stink when they're cooking and taste like dirty feet.  At least what I imagine dirty feet would taste like, having never actually eaten dirty feet.  Just the thought makes me shudder.  Of course James Bond loves them.  My mom makes them for him, and he's so happy when we visit, because that's about the only time he'll ever get them.  Shudder.

http://mywildveganways.blogspot.com/2014/05/i-love-my-farmer-co-op.html

Here's a link to my blog post with a kale recipe I use constantly.

And here it is copied and pasted.

Aka 'that's a lot of kale' my farmer's co-op is a big old highlight in my week. Yesterday's box 'o delicious had kale which happens to be the best breakfast is the world.

Kale for Breakfast Kale

One bunch of kale, cut into strips

Coconut or olive oil

1/2 tsp minced garlic

1 cup walnuts (pecans are super delicious, too)

1 avocado sliced

Salt to taste

Melt a tablespoon or so of the oil in a heated pan and add the walnuts. Move the nuts around for a minute or so and add the kale. Cook all this on medium until the kale starts to brighten a little, not too much, you want it crunchy. Add the garlic and salt and cook for another couple of minutes. Put it all on a plate and top with avocado. Eat. Now, go out into the world and be awesome.

That was hilarious.  I love Jim Gaffigan.

I can honestly say I've never had kale.  Is it anything like collard greens?  If so, I will run screaming the other way.  I hate collard greens.  They stink when they're cooking and taste like dirty feet.  At least what I imagine dirty feet would taste like, having never actually eaten dirty feet.  Just the thought makes me shudder.  Of course James Bond loves them.  My mom makes them for him, and he's so happy when we visit, because that's about the only time he'll ever get them.  Shudder.

To me, kale is much milder tasting than collard, mustard, or turnip greens.