Menu

If you love your Mac (or if you hate it)...

Aspasia

We need a new desktop. We've always used PCs, but dh has his heart set on getting a Mac. He can't seem to explain to me why they're so much better. So if you love your Mac, tell me why. Conversely, if you hate Macs, your reasons would also be helpful.

We basically only use the computer for word processing, internet, and photo/video storage and organization (lots of photos over here). We tend to use our iPads far more than we use the desktop, but as the kids get older, they'll be using the desktop.

Based on the few times I've used other people's Macs, I'm assuming the learning curve will be pretty steep. Is it really worth it? How smoothly does data transfer from a PC to a Mac? Basically, should I fix what isn't broken?

I love my Mac.  The data transfer was easy, the programs are much more intuitive than I found Microsoft to be, and I've never wanted to go back.  

The main selling point for me was the customer service.  LOVE the genius bar.  My youngest poured a sippy cup full of juice into my laptop - they replaced it for free that same day without any special protection plan purchase, or hassle.  

I found Macs much more intuitive and easy to use than PCs - both in hardware & software. Yes, there are differences in, for example, Pages (Apple's wp program) v. Word; but not enough that I ever found it hard to learn Pages or switch between the two.

I've also never had glitches after updating my Mac. I'm constantly agonizing and fighting the computers at work (PCs) after various updates.

Macs are considered the most user-friendly, so I do not think of them as having a steep learning curve.  Also, you rarely have virus issues.  I love my Mac, and will probably never have another kind!  Plus their customer service (genius bar at the stores) is superb.

That said, they are a lot pricier, and if you are only using the computer for what you listed, I'd maybe go for a less expensive PC.

Macs are considered the most user-friendly, so I do not think of them as having a steep learning curve. Also, you rarely have virus issues. I love my Mac, and will probably never have another kind! Plus their customer service (genius bar at the stores) is superb.

That said, they are a lot pricier, and if you are only using the computer for what you listed, I'd maybe go for a less expensive PC.

The virus thing is a big selling point for me. I'm so sick of dealing with malware issues! And we have iPads, iPods, and Apple TV, so we've had some experience with Apple service (most notably after a shattered iPad screen). We have been super duper happy with them.

What kind of uses would you say justify the cost of a Mac?

I switched from PC to Mac in 2008. I would never go back.

--switching is easy. If you have qualms, get the book, Switching to the Mac, from the Missing Manual series. Note: there is no book on switching to the PC....

-- Macs are much easier to use than PCs. But if you need help, check out courses at your nearest Apple store.

-- When you look at cost, be sure to compare cost of MS Office vs Apple's similar products. Yikes! Also consider cost of anti-virus software for PCs.

-- iPhoto is free with a Mac. It is a great photo editing and photo organization program. So easy to upload photos from anything, intuitive overall.

The cost is higher because the hardware is higher quality and more tightly integrated. With Macs, you pay $$$. With PCs, you pay time, aggravation, more time, more aggravation, ad nauseum.  I can't tell you how many Mac haters have then asked for my husband's help with their PCs because they were virus-laden, broken, messed up, etc. They don't seem to see the irony . . . We just don't have those kinds of problems. We have had Macs since 1985; we would never get a PC. Who needs the hassle?

I have used Macs for years, and we also have Windows computers. For years, I swore by my Macs, but I honestly don't think the quality is as good as it used to be, and the prices are very high for what you get if it's not going to be far more reliable than a Windows-based product.

I'm shopping for a new laptop right now, and a few years ago, I wouldn't have looked at anything other than a MacBook Pro, but this time around, I'm looking at other brands -- and not considering another Mac.

I have used Macs for years, and we also have Windows computers. For years, I swore by my Macs, but I honestly don't think the quality is as good as it used to be, and the prices are very high for what you get if it's not going to be far more reliable than a Windows-based product.

I'm shopping for a new laptop right now, and a few years ago, I wouldn't have looked at anything other than a MacBook Pro, but this time around, I'm looking at other brands -- and not considering another Mac.

Is that mainly because of the cost? What kinds of reliability issues have you seen with your Macs?

The cost is higher because the hardware is higher quality and more tightly integrated. With Macs, you pay $$$. With PCs, you pay time, aggravation, more time, more aggravation, ad nauseum. I can't tell you how many Mac haters have then asked for my husband's help with their PCs because they were virus-laden, broken, messed up, etc. They don't seem to see the irony . . . We just don't have those kinds of problems. We have had Macs since 1985; we would never get a PC. Who needs the hassle?

This perfectly describes the problems we've had with our PCs! Before I started researching the Mac vs PC debate today, I honestly thought that was just part and parcel with owning a computer. Turns out it's just part and parcel with owning a PC.

Love my mac for all the reasons mentioned above. It was super easy to learn when I switched over years ago. We have 3 pcs and my mac in the house. The pcs are forever needing restarted or messing up some way. The mac just works. Also, I find a mac way easier to use than a pc. I can easily find whatever I am looking for. Everything just makes sense. Not so with a pc. Everything seems to be all split up and scattered about. But maybe I am just spoiled now. :-)

The short answer... because they just work. 

The long answer... because they work the way you expect them too.  They are intuitive to use.  If I think that's what I should have to do in order to use something on my mac that's the way it works.  My kids and I switched over in 2011 and will never look back.  It took them about 2 days to make the switch over to knowing how to work everything.  I've never had an issue with my macbook pro or their imac until recently, when their CDrom drive broke. 

Before I had this macbook I had a Dell laptop, it was less than a year old and had needed repairs a half dozen times.  Enough that the the tech guys they sent out knew me by name and would chat about this kids with me.  My husband has the same model which is now 3 years old and has had 3 times as many repairs and updates, including one time when they had to replace the motherboard on it. 

We've had this argument in our house and just last week I (the mac person) won. Here's why:

I have a 4 year old mac laptop.  The one that was $999 back then (the cheap one).  We also have a brand new desktop PC that we've set up basically as a media server - it stores digital movies and is hooked up to our largest TV to serve things like prime video, netflix and hulu (we have hulu plus but most of the stuff we watch is for computers only).  It is a "top of the line" video gaming system per the sales guy at best buy. 

My four year old cheap laptop is better for watching videos than the new top of the line PC desktop.  The PC is unstable and has constant video and sound issues. You have to restart it every 3 hours.

My laptop never freezes up unless I have 30 tabs open in firefox while also editing photos in photoshop.  I might have to reset the PRAM once or twice a year after I ignore running out of memory warnings for a month.

I will say that for laptops and iPads, buy the extended warranty.  It paid for itself when the laptop hinges cracked and they replaced the entire monitor with a new one.

Macs might be more expensive but they are so worth it.  The learning curve with each operating system update is much less.  They crash less.  I used to spend random days yelling at my computer and reinstalling operating systems and used to get so frustrated with my PC's.  When I got a mac that all stopped.  Except for the cracked hinge issue the only time I even needed tech support was once when a baby was "playing" typing and turned the brightness of the monitor all the way off. I didn't realize the brightness key was even there, much less how to turn it on.  For the sheer lack of frustration factor, they are worth it.

Love, love, love, love my Apple products!

I never knew how much until I got one.  Dh argued with me.  I had asked for a Macbook for my birthday 4 years ago.  He tried to get me to get a PC laptop instead.  I insisted because I had been playing with my friend's and loved it.

I have NEVER gone back.

Desktop needed replacing, we got a Mac.  

We have iPhones, iPads, and a desktop and a laptop.......

We do have ONE PC desktop.  I don't touch it.

Dawn

They just work.  I got my macbook 2 years ago, and I don't know why I waited so long and struggled with PC's.  You plug them in, turn them on, go through very, very little setup (compared to a PC), and BOOM you're going.  You turn it on and you can do stuff almost immediately.  James Bond turns on his PC and he has to wait, and wait, and wait, while it boots up before doing anything.  We can turn ours on at the same time, and I'm working on mine while he's still waiting for his to boot up.    

I love that all the apple products can talk to each other, and just work together.  I plugged in my apple airport (wireless router), and hit the networks setting on my my mac, and then search for networks.  About 30 seconds later, it found the airport, I clicked on it, put in a password to protect it, set it as my home network, and I was done.  No putting in disks, going through a million steps, and then hoping you did it right (this has happened!), or anything like that.  They just freaking work.  I can never go back to PC.  If I have to do something on James Bond or Indy's PC, I get so irritated, and want to just toss it across the room.  I have PC rage.   ;)

We're waiting for apple to come out with a touch screen desktop before we invest in one of those.  Indy is dying for an apple.

ETA:  James Bond needed a new laptop, and bought a PC (despite my warnings about Windows 8).  He's only had it a few months, and he absolutely HATES windows 8 so much.  All he does while he's using it is gripe, gripe, gripe.  I just sit and smile at him smugly while I type on my macbook.

I bought my first Mac about 2 months ago. After a lot of research I purchased the Mac Mini desktop which is more reasonable $$ then most Macs, and then I purchased a huge $200 monitor, $69 kanex Bluetooth keyboard, a mouse and a $29 external DVD drive to complete my set-up. Couldn't be happier and feel the overall cost isn't too much more then I would spend for a high end desktop. Learning curve was quick and I subscribed to the Microsoft Office suite for $9.99 a month to get Word, Excel, etc.

I love that it all syncs easily with my iPad and iPhone that I have been using for the last couple of years. Additionally I stream movies to my Apple TV from the Mac after burning from DVDs, so I have a full media center.

I generally have preferred macs but I am not a purist or fangirl or anything. I have had very good experiences with the OS and with my iMac desktops. I have had three separate lemon experiences with iBook and MacBook laptops - starting with the recall of the first larger iBook and concluding with a customer service nightmare of a MacBook Pro that I swear had each and every major component fail and be replaced in turn until it was basically a new machine. Then my husband promptly fried it the first time it was actually working for more than 5 minutes. I have had exactly 1 reliable MacBook and that is a used one my brother's husband gave me when his office surplused it out. Aside from needing a new battery, it's still a workhorse. I know good mac laptops exist but we have had a bad run of it since they got rid of the g3 PowerBooks "pismo" (the black ones from the late 1990s). In fact when I was dealing with the customer service ugh of the last MacBook Pro, I told the customer service guy that if they could just please find me an old pismo in the mac museum and send that to me with a wifi option added, I'd call it good and stop having them pay to repair my POS MacBook Pro.

We just bought a used business class laptop from my friend's tech workplace garage sale for my husband- a Lenovo running Linux. It's a sweet little machine and seems excellent so far. We paid $150. No way am I going to shell out a premium price for pricey mac laptops that consistently have (for me) not proven to be a premium product. I probably will keep buying iMacs though.

Is that mainly because of the cost? What kinds of reliability issues have you seen with your Macs?

The cost isn't a factor. It has been mostly little glitchy things, but also bigger things like overheating and batteries refusing to hold a charge. My newest iPad has been glitchy, as well.

I really don't think the quality is the same as it used to be.

The cost is higher because the hardware is higher quality and more tightly integrated. With Macs, you pay $$$. With PCs, you pay time, aggravation, more time, more aggravation, ad nauseum.  I can't tell you how many Mac haters have then asked for my husband's help with their PCs because they were virus-laden, broken, messed up, etc. They don't seem to see the irony . . . We just don't have those kinds of problems. We have had Macs since 1985; we would never get a PC. Who needs the hassle?

This.  This must be repeated.  Over and over.  

DH convinced me to switch years ago.  Happy Mac user here.  I hate fiddling with computers.  Hate it. What other people consider routine maintenance/care for a PC, I find super annoying.  My Macs don't need that kind of care.  I pull them out of the box, plug them in and they work.  And then they keep working.  I have a 10 year old Mac laptop that still works in this house.   :)  Among many others. 

The transfer was easy, and the adjustment period took maybe 2 weeks with my minimal usage at the time.  Just some minor things - getting used to the way the mouse worked, etc.  You will love iPhoto!  

My DH still works at a company that sells software made for PC, by the way.  His company pays for his Mac.   :)  He just runs a program that essentially turns his Mac into a PC, if he needs it.  In fact, his CEO has switched to Mac now, too, among other senior management.  There is some irony there.   :)

My brother is a Mac hater.  He loves messing with computers.  It's his thing.  And that's okay. There's room for both of us.  I'm not a PC hater, just love my Mac.

ETA: We mostly buy refurbished from the Apple Store now.  Same warranty.  Comes like new!  Also, use the educator discount - it applies to homeschoolers.  

I have a Mac desktop, I love the easy integration with other devices like my phone, iPad, etc. But, we also have PC laptops that are cheaper. I wouldn't want a kid hauling around a $1,200 or $1,500 laptop for debate team practice or robotics class or whatever, kwim?

We need a new desktop. We've always used PCs, but dh has his heart set on getting a Mac. He can't seem to explain to me why they're so much better. So if you love your Mac, tell me why. Conversely, if you hate Macs, your reasons would also be helpful.

We basically only use the computer for word processing, internet, and photo/video storage and organization (lots of photos over here). We tend to use our iPads far more than we use the desktop, but as the kids get older, they'll be using the desktop.

Based on the few times I've used other people's Macs, I'm assuming the learning curve will be pretty steep. Is it really worth it? How smoothly does data transfer from a PC to a Mac? Basically, should I fix what isn't broken?

We have a Mac and I guess I'd say I love it, as much as I'd say I love any computer. :) What I do really love is that it is all very seamless with other Mac products. If you already use an iPad or have an iphone it is really nice being able to type in one thing on one device and having it appear everywhere. 

I find it easier to use, but not sure exactly why. It wasn't much of a learning curve. We also have a PC laptop for the kids and a very old laptop that runs Linux. Of all of them the Mac is my favorite, but it's also what I'm used to now. I find everything transfers fairly easily, it wasn't much of an issue. 

I have limited mac experience. I did graphic design for a while but our office used PCs. I went to a job interview where I had to create something using a Mac. I was a wreck. I don't know how they are considered user-friendly. 

Me either.  After 20 years of PC's, Macs are NOT intuitive.  iPhoto drives me nuts!  (I actually do have a Macbook Pro, a mini, an ipad, and an iphone - you'd think that would be enough Mac experience!)

--switching is easy. If you have qualms, get the book, Switching to the Mac, from the Missing Manual series. Note: there is no book on switching to the PC

Because you don't need one.   :001_smile:

What have you all been doing to your PCs that you have all these problems?   :confused:

Once you go MAC you never go back.   I <3 my Macbook.  Easy to use, fewer virus issues, easy to upgrade.  Great support.  

However, my dh and the kids all have PCs.  For what the kids need their laptops for the pc is fine. If they were making movies and heavy into graphic arts I would have them switch to a mac.

If you are a computer person, which I am not, then I'm told you can't do things with the Mac that you can with PCs.  I have a Mac, and my dh & ds hate it.  Mac is easier for the average person but not for someone that wants to do advance computing. 

It's the same with the iphone vs android phones.  Iphones are easier to use but less flexible. 

We have a couple macs, a couple PC laptops and one "Linux box" (whatever that means). The macs never crash or get viruses. You don't even have to DO anything to prevent viruses.. They just never get them. I will admit that our Mac mini is my least favorite mac. There's not really a learning curve beyond learning here everything is.

We have a couple macs, a couple PC laptops and one "Linux box" (whatever that means). The macs never crash or get viruses. You don't even have to DO anything to prevent viruses.. They just never get them. I will admit that our Mac mini is my least favorite mac. There's not really a learning curve beyond learning here everything is.

:iagree:  Except for the Mac mini bit. I  don't have one of those. But I have had several iMacs and mac desktops, a Macbook (my new baby), and other Apple products.  I absolutely loathed my PCs.  Not even the most expensive VAIO held a candle to my refurb discount iMac or Macbook.  There's no maintenance.  For the first time in 5 years, I cleared some stuff out after dh filled mine with music.  And I updated my RAM-that took 5 minutes and $20.  Macs also don't automatically restart on you and make you lose all your work (my school PCs always do this!!!), don't need defragmented, and almost NEVER get viruses. 

If you are a computer person, which I am not, then I'm told you can't do things with the Mac that you can with PCs.  I have a Mac, and my dh & ds hate it.  Mac is easier for the average person but not for someone that wants to do advance computing. 

It's the same with the iphone vs android phones.  Iphones are easier to use but less flexible. 

I disagree.  The local college's tech department, IT, and computer graphics all use Macs.  There is really not a big gap in what you can do on PC vs. Mac and Macs are very popular in education and graphics. I took a few computer and networking classes last year and there was nothing I couldn't do on the Macs for my classes and my teachers hands down preferred Macs (Comp Sci teachers).  Of course preferences vary, but that's a myth that they can't do advanced computing with Macs or iPhones. 

If you are a computer person, which I am not, then I'm told you can't do things with the Mac that you can with PCs. I have a Mac, and my dh & ds hate it. Mac is easier for the average person but not for someone that wants to do advance computing.

This is untrue, you can still do advanced computing "stuff" on a mac. But mac has more protections on it to prevent the average user from accidentally messing something up.

I

Because you don't need one.   :001_smile:

What have you all been doing to your PCs that you have all these problems?   :confused:

:lol: Just using them.  I'm much harder on my Macs than PCs.  I took the computer and networking classes and most of what they teach you is PC troubleshooting because sooooooo much can easily go wrong.  Macs have safeguards in place so you don't accidentally screw up your computer.  Even the most innocent PC usage can end in disasters.  Sound cards corrupted, video cards corrupted, accidentally deleted program files, viruses, malware, randomly non-functioning programming...

I will admit that I did used to do a lot manually on my PC. The only frustrations I have had with my Mac is not being able to override and just do whatever I want. We are all pretty STEM-y in our family.

That being said, you can still program and such on the Mac, it is just that you have to be more deliberate about it. And it is much harder to break in to the boot up screen or override something that isn't working or taking on the Mac. A lot is set to do things automatically. There are still a lot of things I could do on the PC that I cannot do on my Mac.

We are a Mac family. When I was working I used and liked PCs; I've since been converted, LOL.

My son is a computer geek -- he used to obsessively watch Steve Jobs' talks live, for example -- but after saying he wanted a MacBook for college, now wants a PC (gasp!) in order to run Linux/Ubuntu. Of course he'll keep his current Mac laptop.

BTW we were just at UC Berkeley for an information session for prospective sudents. There was a student panel of current EE/CS majors. Someone asked "Mac or PC?" and the consensus was 4-1 Macs :D.

Oh, and instructions like this crack me up (this one is from Reach Records' Merchline FAQ page):

• How do I unzip my digital file(s)?

When you purchase digital items via Merchline, the file arrives on your computer in a compressed format called zip. Before you can access the media, you will need to decompress, or "unzip" the zip file.
Unzipping is accomplished by:

If you're on a Mac, double-click the file. You're done.

If you're on a PC, right-click the file and choose "Extract All..." Don't see an "Extract All..." option? Try renaming the file to something simple, like "file.zip". The important thing is to make sure the name ends with ".zip". Then right-click it again. You should now see "Extract All..." in the menu. If you still do not see an "Extract All..." option, double-click the file. This will open a window listing the files inside. Press Ctrl+A to select all the files, then drag them into a folder or onto your desktop. If that does not work either, then you may not have unzipping software built in to your PC. In this case, please download unzipping software here, and repeat the steps above. 

:iagree: Except for the Mac mini bit. I don't have one of those. But I have had several iMacs and mac desktops, a Macbook (my new baby), and other Apple products. I absolutely loathed my PCs. Not even the most expensive VAIO held a candle to my refurb discount iMac or Macbook. There's no maintenance. For the first time in 5 years, I cleared some stuff out after dh filled mine with music. And I updated my RAM-that took 5 minutes and $20. Macs also don't automatically restart on you and make you lose all your work (my school PCs always do this!!!), don't need defragmented, and almost NEVER get viruses.

I hated our Vaio, too! It looked gorgeous and stylish, but it was a nightmare to own. I will never buy another Sony computer.

I disagree.  The local college's tech department, IT, and computer graphics all use Macs.  There is really not a big gap in what you can do on PC vs. Mac and Macs are very popular in education and graphics. I took a few computer and networking classes last year and there was nothing I couldn't do on the Macs for my classes and my teachers hands down preferred Macs (Comp Sci teachers).  Of course preferences vary, but that's a myth that they can't do advanced computing with Macs or iPhones. 

LIke I said, I am not a computer person; I use a MacBook Pro.  My ds did have to "jailbreak" his iphone 5 to do what he wanted on it; he's since sold his iphone and has an android phone.

I do actually agree with this.  Both my DH and I have higher degrees in comp sci/software engineering.  Some labs at our college did have macs for particular purposes.  But as someone who doesn't mind to get in and monkey with things at a low level, I much prefer PCs.  Also, if you keep things well configured and your virus software up to date with regular runs, we have not had huge issues with viruses, malware, etc.

I actually do not find macs more intuitive either and have worked in software design and usability.  I think people get used to a certain style and want to stick with it.  We do have apple products and android/PC products in our house right now, so we're very familiar with current iterations. 

I bought my first Mac about 2 months ago. After a lot of research I purchased the Mac Mini desktop which is more reasonable $$ then most Macs, and then I purchased a huge $200 monitor, $69 kanex Bluetooth keyboard, a mouse and a $29 external DVD drive to complete my set-up. Couldn't be happier and feel the overall cost isn't too much more then I would spend for a high end desktop. Learning curve was quick and I subscribed to the Microsoft Office suite for $9.99 a month to get Word, Excel, etc.

I love that it all syncs easily with my iPad and iPhone that I have been using for the last couple of years. Additionally I stream movies to my Apple TV from the Mac after burning from DVDs, so I have a full media center.

Dream.come.true.

But I still want a MacBook Pro too!

We up graded our tech a couple months back. After many months of research we chose an iMac to replace our 10 year old Dell xp desktop. It has been a small learning curve for us, but Winows 8 would have been as well. We needed something that had a good chance of lasting a decade or more in working condition. The school where I work uses all macs & has some desktops almost 20 years old still being used daily.

I didn't choose an iPad for my tablet as I wanted to be able to add extra memory & be able to read flash drives. I chose the new Samsung 8.4 Tab Pro. Dd wanted to stick with Windows & chose the Asus 11.6 Transformer Book. Both of us are happy with ourchoices.

The only issue we have come across is when dd made a movie on the iMac in iMovie & is now finding that it won't play on her Asus. Any ideas how to fix that? She was using photos & videos taken on her GoPro.

Macs are less virus-prone, more intuitive, and have better tech support. 

It depends on what you want, but the above statement is a myth.

Macs are just as susceptible to virus and malware.  Your safety is only as good as your security and you.  Keep the AV suite up to date and watch what you do always. I am in IT, and I have taken viruses and malware off of a Mac, so this isn't even a point.

Both can and will crash and usually it is because of the user adding hardware and software.  

Tech support is like any other and can be just as much of a pain. It is much harder to find an Apple bar to have service done than it is to have your Windows pc serviced.  While the bar locations have increased in number, it is still difficult to find one in a close proximity.  I do not suggest that you take a Mac anywhere else but the bar.  It is also more costly to repair and shopping around will not yield a better price of much difference as it might with a Windows pc.

And no, HTML5 is not taking over the world and replacing Flash yet, if ever.  

As well, Apple devices in general do not like DHCP.  You may need to get an Apple router too, especially if you are not very tech minded.  It just makes it easier to link all Apple devices too.  Keep that in mind. They are great pieces of hardware, so not really an issue. 

Now, you have to consider the standard build too.  An Apple's standard build is inferior to that of the Windows machine.  You will need to order more memory, for example.  Watch the specs and details before you commit to your purchase.  It is more expensive to go back.

Now, make a list of what you want to do on it.  You may find that what you want is not best run or used on a Mac or vice versa.  For business, hands down it is Windows.  For leisure, toss a coin.

A Mac can run Windows now too.  You can have a dual boot system.  The reason is the Mac uses the intel chips too.   :)

I like them both for various reasons.  

Your only consideration is what you want to do with it, price, and availability (where will get repaired or where will you buy).

Hope that helps some!

We have several Mac laptops, love them.  I have a MacBook Air, DH has a slightly older MacBook Pro.  We also still have several older Mac laptops (another Pro, black MacBook, and a couple that are several years older than that).  They just keep on truckin' and the kids use them.  They've taken much use and abuse, including being knocked off the couch several times when they were running.  My toddlers have all thought the power cords were delicious.  

About a year ago DH also got a souped up PC laptop especially for gaming, for some of the games that needed a bit more than his Pro could do.  He uses it for gaming but cusses at it frequently (and this is the guy that was a die-hard PC-only guy when we met.)  I used a PC laptop for about a year between Macs and it wasn't for me.  Hated it more than a college one night stand.