Menu

Can I have a Christians Opinion Please?

mom2bee

There is a booth at our local fair, every year that is run by a regional Christian ministry. This booth is full of games, activities and crafts. All of which are publicized as being free to everyone.Visiting this booth allows kids to have their faces painted, make a craft (bracelet) solve geometric puzzles, and get a balloon animal. You also are offered Pro-Christian literature such as pamphlets. bumper stickers etc...

My questions are:

Is it okay for Non-Christians to visit these Ministry type booths and partake of the activities or is considered rude/taking advantage because one isn't Christian?

(ETA: And One isn't about to convert to Christianity, however one is open to polite religious discussion about Christian ideals, principles, beliefs, morals etc.)

If you go as a Non-Christian to a free-to-the-public-event that is hosted by a Christian Ministry or Church, what is the etiquette to be followed?

I ask because of an experience I had at the fair this year that I hadn't anticipated and while I was irritated and upset at first, I now wonder if I was in the wrong after all.

There is a booth at our local fair, every year that is run by a regional Christian ministry. This booth is full of games, activities and crafts. All of which are publicized as being free to everyone.Visiting this booth allows kids to have their faces painted, make a craft (bracelet) solve geometric puzzles, and get a balloon animal. You also are offered Pro-Christian literature such as pamphlets. bumper stickers etc...

My questions are:

Is it okay for Non-Christians to visit these Ministry type booths and partake of the activities or is considered rude/taking advantage because one isn't Christian?

(ETA: And One isn't about to convert to Christianity, however one is open to polite religious discussion about Christian ideals, principles, beliefs, morals etc.)

Yes, it is absolutely acceptable for a non-Christian to participate in the activities. 

If you go as a Non-Christian to a free-to-the-public-event that is hosted by a Christian Ministry or Church, what is the etiquette to be followed?

Just common courtesy, really. Other than that, I can't think of anything in particular that would require a "Christian specific" etiquette. 

It's totally fine and normal to enjoy the fun that Christan groups freely share with the general public.

One should be polite, and, probably not chat about religion (a topic of disagreement) keeping to small talk and chit-chat. Religious overtures can be met with a smile and a sidestep, not an honest statement of disagreement in the hearing of small (indoctrinated) children.

If the other party is insistent any that religion is the only topic, but disagreement is frowned on, it is they who are being rude. Their hospitality and kindness are an ill-motivated attempt to get them a captive audience.

If they only want to offer fun and kindness to Christian children, they should do so at their own Church functions, without public invitations issued.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I would expect a Christian organization to be happy to have non-christian kids come to an event organized for the public. Etiquette? I've no idea. I wouldn't think there would be expectations of response. Basic politeness and respect maybe (going both directions)?

Typically part of these events, in addition to evangelizing, is just providing service to the community; in this case, providing some free fun.

So long as you don't plan on marching in there and screaming about how they've all been brainwashed or any other derogatory comment about their belief system, you should be good. ;)

There should be no problem with a non-Christian partaking at all.  As for etiquette, I am not sure exactly what you mean.  Obviously you would not want to say anything to put down the hosts or Christianity.  And you wouldn't want to do anything you wouldn't do at a gathering sponsored by your own house of worship.  (You wouldn't, for example, pass out business cards or cuss or imbibe something the religion frowns upon.)  Mostly, as in any gathering anywhere, you would look to see what others are doing if you are not sure how to behave.

I was raised Christian and I still feel awkward in certain Christian church situations.  I may wonder whether it's OK to take communion in someone else's church or if others are offended if I don't cross myself, for example.  Or be unsure whether it's OK for a woman to wear pants or sit next to an unrelated man.  I have also been in other houses of worship - especially Hindu temples - where I was sure of stumbling and only hoped people around would be understanding.  Which most people generally are.

It's intended to be a mission service in the community. If it is Catholic, beyond a doubt it is expect many who aren't catholic or Christian may participate and be welcome to do so. If it is not, then I have no idea, tho I would presume it would be fine.

As for etiquette, um what? The norm? You know, please, thank you, hello, good bye...One per kid... Don't leave them there for free sitter service... I can't think what else besides that kind of normal polite interaction would be expected and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if even that was often lacking.

I can't imagine why on earth not.  I would have every expectation that any church there is strictly to serve the community, not make a determination on who can participate in their free activities.  You should be able to go with no expectation and no guilt whatever your intention.

Be as polite as you would be to any other booth with a reasonable expectation to that same courtesy in return. 

I might assume they would mention their church, give you a flyer, and invite you to come by if you are looking for a church. I have a sinking feeling that your experience was something more than this though, and I am sorry.  :(  To do anything more puts people waaaay out of their comfort level, surely defeating any other purpose, hope, or prayer that the church has for that time, at that place.

We have attended many such events in the past, and no one has ever tried to convert us. They might have had a table with some informational flyers and someone to answer questions about their church, but no one was walking around trying to preach to anyone or invite them to join their church or attend their services.

I am a devout Christian and loathe this type of thing. I avoid them like the plague. That being said, they are hoping that non-Christians will come. I used to feel bad when I was younger going to them as a Christian, like I was using up resources meant for evangelizing non-Christians. The only etiquette I can think of is to not get into a fiery debate over religion unless instigated. And, you don't have to take their tracts. You can politely refuse just as you would at any other booth. I really hope someone at these booths wasn't rude to you. If so, just remember that not all Christians are like that.

Based on my experience with my church and previous churches that put on public events:

Yes, you can go regardless of your intentions of converting or not.  It's meant to be a service to the community and a way of letting the community know they are there.  

I would hope guests would be polite.  I would hope a non-believer to either accept any literature with a thank you and a smile (you can toss it later).  If taking the literature is too difficult, I would hope it would be declined politely.   I would hope guests would not argue with the hosts about religion or make any critical and unkind remarks about the hosts' beliefs or intelligence.   

If the hosts are not kind and polite, I would hope the guests would not hold it against all Christians.  

We have a fair of that type every year. I guarantee you that it is meant to be fun for the community. Of course we show the church (ours is historical and we have docents who tell the history) but we aren't literature-passers. We could be, we just don't. Everyone is welcome! And they don't have to be a Christian, be thinking about becoming one, or anything like that. 

We think we've found something good in Christ, and of course, we want to share that--but part of that joy is in who we try to become--giving, joyful, community-minded people whose beliefs aren't limited to Sunday worship, so we have healthy, "godly" fun, and invite others to do that, too.

It doesn't sound like your experience was a good one. Sorry. We are human, too, and frequently really screw up. 

We have a fair of that type every year. I guarantee you that it is meant to be fun for the community. Of course we show the church (ours is historical and we have docents who tell the history) but we aren't literature-passers. We could be, we just don't. Everyone is welcome! And they don't have to be a Christian, be thinking about becoming one, or anything like that.

We think we've found something good in Christ, and of course, we want to share that--but part of that joy is in who we try to become--giving, joyful, community-minded people whose beliefs aren't limited to Sunday worship, so we have healthy, "godly" fun, and invite others to do that, too.

It doesn't sound like your experience was a good one. Sorry. We are human, too, and frequently really screw up.

I was going to write something similar, so I'll just agree with Chris. :)

Sorry I left this thread hanging. Yeah, for the first time in about 7 or 8 years of going to this booth, we had a problem this year. One of the balloon animal making women got mad when we politely asked that they not use a sharpie to write 'Jesus Loves Me' on the balloon animals that they made for the kids in our group. We make that same request every single year and its never been a problem. Ever.

This year one of the balloon ladies (never seen her before) got mad. Very mad, very quickly. She insisted on it and I told her no, thank you, we didn't want the message added to the balloons.

She started grumbling that we were trouble makers and no one in the last two weeks has declined a "Jesus Loves Me" so I told her that we aren't Christians and would prefer not to have a Pro-Christian message for the kids, please and thank you.

She wrote "Jesus" on the balloon-cat of one the kids balloons anyway and we asked for a different one, told her we didn't want that balloon. She snatched the balloon-cat back from a 7yo kid and she told us that we were selfish, taking advantage of them and testing her paitience because we "already don't love the lord!" She refused to make another balloon. We pressed her and she snapped that she would make one more, only one!!!

I thought she was being quite unreasonable and politely pointed out that she had written on the balloon after we'd asked her not to several times. Angrilly she said she would make one more and only one balloon when she knew that we needed two. (One child had recieved a balloon-cross when he'd asked for a cat and the little girl wanted a Cat but the lady wrote "Jesus" on it and the little girl didn't want the "Jesus Cat" anymore.)

We wound up getting the balloons because another guy came over and made them but it made me wonder if they had just been paitiently tolerating us all these years or if that woman was just tired.

I wanted very badly to ask her "What Would Jesus Do" because she got so angry and was yelling at kids, but I refrained from doing so because I didn't want to be glib.

That lady was way out of line. I'm glad the "other guy" behaved both more appropriately and more "Christianly" towards you. I'm very very sure that the attitude of previous years and the majority of the volunteers is the correct indicator of the "feelings" of this group towards you -- I don't think they've been just patiently tolerating you. Don't let one rotten apple spoil your experiences, eh?

Sorry I left this thread hanging. Yeah, for the first time in about 7 or 8 years of going to this booth, we had a problem this year. One of the balloon animal making women got mad when we politely asked that they not use a sharpie to write 'Jesus Loves Me' on the balloon animals that they made for the kids in our group. We make that same request every single year and its never been a problem. Ever.

This year one of the balloon ladies (never seen her before) got mad. Very mad, very quickly. She insisted on it and I told her no, thank you, we didn't want the message added to the balloons.

She started grumbling that we were trouble makers and no one in the last two weeks has declined a "Jesus Loves Me" so I told her that we aren't Christians and would prefer not to have a Pro-Christian message for the kids, please and thank you.

She wrote "Jesus" on the balloon-cat of one the kids balloons anyway and we asked for a different one, told her we didn't want that balloon. She snatched the balloon-cat back from a 7yo kid and she told us that we were selfish, taking advantage of them and testing her paitience because we "already don't love the lord!" She refused to make another balloon. We pressed her and she snapped that she would make one more, only one!!!

I thought she was being quite unreasonable and politely pointed out that she had written on the balloon after we'd asked her not to several times. Angrilly she said she would make one more and only one balloon when she knew that we needed two. (One child had recieved a balloon-cross when he'd asked for a cat and the little girl wanted a Cat but the lady wrote "Jesus" on it and the little girl didn't want the "Jesus Cat" anymore.)

We wound up getting the balloons because another guy came over and made them but it made me wonder if they had just been paitiently tolerating us all these years or if that woman was just tired.

I wanted very badly to ask her "What Would Jesus Do" because she got so angry and was yelling at kids, but I refrained from doing so because I didn't want to be glib.

I wasn't going to comment because everyone else had already done a good job answering your questions but oh my word.  I'm a Christian.  I was raised that way and we attend an amazing church in our area. As others have said, Christians aren't perfect and we DO make mistakes every day.  BUT, that lady was way out of line. Period.

The entire purpose of an open-to-the-public community event is to serve the public. It doesn't matter if the public we are serving is all christian, is atheist, jewish, catholic, or whatever else.  It says in the Bible to "love your neighbor as yourself."  It doesn't say, "love your neighbor only if they too are practicing christians."  That verse was written in a time when your "neighbor" could be a roman who wanted you to dead or someone who worshipped any number of roman gods that were popular at the time.

I'm sorry you had that experience. :(  :grouphug:

You are a better soul than me. If someone treated a child in my care that way, I wouldn't concern myself with restraining from being 'glib'. I'd have said something more in line with the heathen she perceived me to be (I might of regretted it later) and I'd have contacted the organization she was with and let them know that they had a vinegar coated religious snob manning the booth for kids.

(The whole 'catch more flies with honey than vinegar' adage)

Thats not the best way to react, but it is what I probably would've done.

Actually, I am not a Christian so maybe I am looking at this the wrong way...I just feel offended at the idea of someone treating anyone that way, but maybe as a Non-Christian we have no business at certain Christian sponsored events. Was it a Church fair or a State Fair with a Church booth?

If it was a Church Fair, maybe you shouldn't have gone. She was still a rude jerk, it wouldn't matter what Group Affiliation she had, religious or not, she was a jerk. But perhaps it isn't kind to use up their groups resources at their event if you aren't a member of their group.

If it was a Church Fair, maybe you shouldn't have gone. She was still a rude jerk, it wouldn't matter what Group Affiliation she had, religious or not, she was a jerk. But perhaps it isn't kind to use up their groups resources at their event if you aren't a member of their group.

These things are usually set up to show goodwill to the community. Yes, there are often Christian messages strewn about, but they are typically set up to serve the community. Everyone is typically welcome. I think the lady in question was WAY, WAY out of line. My uncle is a Gideon and makes balloon animals at his church carnivals. I don't even think it's occurred to him to write anything on the balloons and he makes whatever the kids ask for.

Wow, crazy lady. She didn't just cross the line, she obliterated it as she flew over.

Our local church has an annual carnival and the pastor goes door-to-door to invite everyone in the neighborhood. The first time he came I told him we are Muslim and he said the carnival was for the neighborhood, not just for Christians. We went and had a fabulous time and everyone was very welcoming. It was nice to meet some neighbors.

:cursing:

I'm so sorry. PLEASE know that we're not all like that!

That woman was very wrong.  I'm so sorry you were treated in such a nasty way!!  I cannot imagine any excuse for that behavior!

I am sorry this happened to you. That lady was way out of line.  As Christians we are not to push our beliefs on others. It is up to everyone to make their individual choice.  My guess is it is a event that was open to anyone.  You had every right to request that the balloon not have a Christian symbol or saying on it. I hope after the event the man talked to her and she won't be coming to any more events.  That's just not acceptable.  Hugs to you.

I have one more thought to add to this whole thing.  I already said up thread that I'm a Christian too, but I would have asked to have nothing written on the balloon as well.  We have dye issues in our house and having a bunch of it all over a balloon would be problematic especially since simply touching the message would cause transfer.  Apparently THAT didn't occur to Ms. Rudey either.

I've participated in a booth my church sets up at a small community fair every summer.

We have crafts, face painting and such.  We have no idea if the people who come by the booth are Christian or not. We don't ask.  There is a table with literature that people can take or not.  There are free Bibles which people can take or not. Nothing is pressed on anyone.  Well, there was the one time some skateboarding boys came by and we pressed bottles of water on them because it was hot and they were sweaty and looked like they needed a drink.   They were hesitant but did take the water.  (I don't like to see kids without water in hot weather.)  Who knows, maybe someday one of them will come back and talk to us.

That balloon lady was way out of line.  Why write anything on the balloons?  

Sorry you had that experience.  Bet that lady won't be back next year.