Menu

Rant: To the woman sipping coffee outside Starbucks at 8:30pm . . .

SKL

I was 4 when I started Kindy in a public school, therefore 6 when I started 2nd grade. My oldest was also 4 when she started kindy at a DoDDs school. Several of my niece/nephews started at 4 in the local Catholic school. Not completely unusual and I certainly wouldn't call someone a liar because of it.

No one has called her a liar because of it. I'm not sure why you got that impression. :confused:

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow -- I wouldn't want to live in a place where the police were like that! I guess most of the time, there's no way of knowing until it's too late, though. :(

Me too. Though there are good and bad everywhere it helps if those in charge are on the good side. I will admit I have always struggled with elected police though so I am probably biased.

So I went to look at the law in Texas. I can leave my kids for up to 5 minutes and the oldest for however long I want. Except here is the issue. Leaving your kids for the legal 5 minutes is grounds for a neglectful supervision investigation from CPS...............................and people wonder why SKL was upset about having the cops called! CPS should not be investigating people who are not breaking the law but it is clear they are doing it here.

https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Protection/About_Child_Protective_Services/faqchildalone.asp

Can I leave a child alone in my car for a short period of time? 

Answer: No. Do not leave a child in a motor vehicle for any length of time.  If children are trapped inside cars, especially in hot weather, they can suffer from heat exhaustion or heat stroke in a matter of minutes, leading to permanent disability or death.

Heat stroke, also known as hyperthermia, can cause shock, seizures, irregular heartbeat, and heart attack, as well as brain, liver, and kidney damage.

Leaving a child unattended in a car is aa crime that is punishable under the Texas Penal Code, Title 5, Chapter 22, Section 10:

Sec. 22.10. LEAVING A CHILD IN A VEHICLE. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly leaves a child in a motor vehicle for longer than five minutes, knowing that the child is:

(1) younger than seven years of age; and

(2) not attended by an individual in the vehicle who is 14 years of age or older.

( An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor. )

Leaving a child unattended in a car is also a form of neglectful supervision that is investigated by Child Protective Services.

I can see how a 6 year old can be going into 2nd.  If my dd5 was in ps she would be going into 1st grade here(well even homeschooling she is), she is still 5 until sept 19th, which means she would be 6 starting 2nd.  Our schools have a cut off of sept 1 generally speaking, BUT they accept registerations for kids who don't make that cut off yet prove they can handle the work load.  Now that is the public schools.  The charter schools(which are similar to private schools but are publically funded) has it's own set of cut off dates.  I don't remember if SKLs kids go to public or private but that would account for the cut offs being so late.

Back when I was a kid the cut off was actually March 1.  But then there got to be so much red shirting they just pushed the cut off back.  If you live in an area with a March 1 cut off then again kids turning 7 in oct and jan would be going into 2nd grade. 

The assumption of course that everyone made is the kids were already 7 since they were starting 2nd but that does not automatically mean that SKLs story is untruthful which is what is being implied based on having kids ready for 2nd at 6.5 rather than only at 7

Wow -- I wouldn't want to live in a place where the police were like that! I guess most of the time, there's no way of knowing until it's too late, though. :(

The police in my hometown are bad news. Many of the things they do are unethical at best, sometimes criminal. One example, the cop pulled over a woman. He told her he was giving her a ticket. She said she couldn't afford a ticket and asked if there was anything she could do. He gave her the option of having s@x with him. She agreed.

I trust and respect cops in general. I do not trust the cops in my hometown.

This is the type of reasoning that causes our children to never grow up.  We wonder why we are so tired all the time--- because we keep our children "safe" by never allowing them them any perceived dangers-- so we do everything for them and take them with us all the time.

A resounding "YES" to this!

It amazes me that people even consider calling the cops on kids who appear to be fine, even if left alone in a car for a while.  I try to go about my own business, without budding in on others' business, unless there appears to be a direct danger.

My second dd would've been 6 when she started 2nd in public school.  She was 5 when she started 1st.  We pulled her to homeschool right after 1st.  Now that I think about it dh may have been 6 in 2nd.  He and I are the same age but his birthday fell before the cutoff.  He graduated at 17 as do many other children each year. 

This is getting silly. SKL has posted multiple times before on the afterschooling board about her girls, including the fact they are younger than their classmates. She wanted them both in the same grade and worked with the school to accelerate them.

I don't really know, because I don't spend that much time out in the neighborhood. My kids are just getting to the point where they are old enough to do a few things on their own (outside of my property). The only other incident I recall in the city where I was last night was 3 years ago, when my then-3.5yo daughter was pouting and putzing after losing a privilege at the park. She was walking very slowly, as was her typical reaction to being "controlled." We were walking along a sidewalk in an absolutely safe part of the park (nothing around but grass on both sides of the path, no possibility of getting lost) and she got behind me and her sister. I was essentially letting her tantrum play out by letting her putz to her heart's content. However, another mom took her by the hand and when I came to claim her, I was berated repeatedly because "she was not with an adult." :/ After the third round of verbal attacks I took my kid by the hand and turned to leave, but Mrs. Busybody came after me and said "I'm worried about her, please stay, I don't want you to go home and hurt her." :/ I kept walking. Shortly thereafter, I saw a cop driving around, though I can't say whether that was coincidental or not.

I admire your restraint. I guarantee I'd have given that busybody a lecture of my own, in a very loud voice, probably with cussing, much like I did the time some guy tried to tell me I was destroying DS's self-image and making him (DS) uncomfortable by carrying him on my back in the Asian-style carrier and jokingly/affectionately referring to him as the little monkey on my back when the guy commented that I had something on my back as a way to strike up small talk.

I admire your restraint. I guarantee I'd have given that busybody a lecture of my own, in a very loud voice, probably with cussing, much like I did the time some guy tried to tell me I was destroying DS's self-image and making him (DS) uncomfortable by carrying him on my back in the Asian-style carrier and jokingly/affectionately referring to him as the little monkey on my back when the guy commented that I had something on my back as a way to strike up small talk.

Believe me, I was angry.  I sputtered out a few sentences to the woman, but I wasn't able to think that clearly.  Too bad I missed an opportunity to educate a busybody.  ;)  I also didn't want to freak my kids out any more than they already were.

The only cop we know really well (a family member) regularly jokes and brags about the ability cops have to say "STOP RESISTING ARREST" and beat the hell out of someone if they're annoyed with them. As long as they avoid their police camera.

I really am surprised how quickly people are willing to go along with "the authorities."

This is getting silly. SKL has posted multiple times before on the afterschooling board about her girls, including the fact they are younger than their classmates. She wanted them both in the same grade and worked with the school to accelerate them.

When my kids entered KG, in my state, the cutoff date was October 1.  Many people in my famliy, including myself, were 6 going into 2nd grade.  My girls were born a little past the cutoff, but their private KG let them start early because they were ready.

Believe me, I was angry.  I sputtered out a few sentences to the woman, but I wasn't able to think that clearly.  To bad I missed an opportunity to educate a busybody.  ;)  I also didn't want to freak my kids out any more than they already were.

Really?  I thought you got into our car after telling the officer there wasn't a problem?  Weren't you in such a hurry that you said you didn't even have time to speak with the officer?  How did you "sputter out a few sentences" to that woman from the parking lot?  Were you yelling? Was this before or after the cop left?  Were you still in the car?

Really?  I thought you got into our car after telling the officer there wasn't a problem?  Weren't you in such a hurry that you said you didn't even have time to speak with the officer?  How did you "sputter out a few sentences" to that woman from the parking lot?  Were you yelling? Was this before or after the cop left?  Were you still in the car?

I was responding to Ravin's comment on an incident that happened 3 years ago.

This is starting to feel like a witch hunt.

You see why I am uncomfortable with being in a defensive position with the authorities?  Even here on this forum I'm being accused of all kinds of bad judgment, lies, and other character flaws.  How do I know that police officer wasn't in an equally uncharitable mood?

We had a visit from a police officer once because a childless bachelor called to report that "some" kids were throwing rocks. In reality, he saw one preschool boy throwing rocks, which he told the police officer. Because he had seen my girls playing (not throwing rocks or destroying property—playing) with the boy on other occasions, he apparently decided he better report them and have the policeman talk to us too because they "might" have also thrown rocks, even though he had never witnessed them doing anything like that. I'm afraid my expression while talking to the officer registered how ridiculous I found the whole experience, though I managed to remain polite. I basically just confirmed that they didn't do what the Kid Hater didn't see them do and said that I would make sure they continued to not do it.

Really? I thought you got into our car after telling the officer there wasn't a problem? Weren't you in such a hurry that you said you didn't even have time to speak with the officer? How did you "sputter out a few sentences" to that woman from the parking lot? Were you yelling? Was this before or after the cop left? Were you still in the car?

I haven't even read the whole thread but understood that she was discussing a separate incident.

*Lu mused to no one in particular...*

I do not understand the level of vitriol in this thread toward SKL. She made a choice, it didn't go exactly as planned, she dealt with the consequences, and came here to vent her frustration.

I bet we have a dozen threads everyday with the same progression of a choice playing out; I have only seen a few venting threads where there was unanimous support for the actions of the venting board member. And let's face it, the second you make any parenting choice you are going to have those who agree and disagree. While you may not agree with her choice or her framing of the incident for herself, is it necessary to vilify her?

We had a visit from a police officer once because a childless bachelor called to report that "some' kids were throwing rocks. In reality, he saw one preschool boy throwing rocks, which he told the police officer. Because he had seen my girls playing (not throwing rocks or destroying property—playing) with the boy on other occasions, he apparently decided he better report them and have the policeman talk to us too because they "might" have also thrown rocks, even though he had never witnessed them doing anything like that. I'm afraid my expression while talking to the officer registered how ridiculous I found the whole experience, though I managed to remain polite. I basically just confirmed that they didn't do what the Kid Hater didn't see them do and said that I would make sure they continued to not do it.

Gotta love The Village.  ;)

You see why I am uncomfortable with being in a defensive position with the authorities?  Even here on this forum I'm being accused of all kinds of bad judgment, lies, and other character flaws.  How do I know that police officer wasn't in an equally uncharitable mood?

Good point.

A person who really cared about others would never have called police without giving the parent a few minutes to come back to the car.

I'm with SKL on this one.  If I saw two young kids alone in a car (especially if I didn't see the mom leave), I would definitely wait around a bit to both keep an eye on them and see if the mom returned.  I would probably give it at least 10 minutes.

There is a difference between calling police to make sure the kids are safe, and calling just to get a mom in trouble.  I think to call the police that fast, the motive is more to "show the mom what's what".

Is it possible that a store employee made the call? I have a friend who had the police appear at her PT appointment when she left her kids (14,7, 5) at McDonalds in front of the complex eating lunch and doing schoolwork. Apparently it is McDonald's policy in our area to call on any unsupervised children OR loitering teens during school hours-and the manager made the call. The police didn't seem concerned when they arrived at all-the younger DC were supervised by the teen (kids have to be over 12 to be left alone in my state, but a 13 yr old can babysit multiple infants without any legal issues) and the teen wasn't truant, since she's legally enrolled in a homeschooling program, but they still had to deal with it.

I can see why it's frustrating-I've skipped getting a lot of "receipts held by cashier" at gas stations because of the "DC under age 12 cannot be left unsupervised" and not wanting to deal with the potential fallout of not dragging my kid out of the car to run in and pick up a piece of paper.

And, FWIW, as a mom with an accelerated kid, it gets very frustrating that my DD can be in a group class with older kids, have no trouble, but the instructor cannot allow her to walk out to my car instead of my going in to get her because of her age-and that's when the instructor has told me that DD is more responsible and capable than many of the middle school kids. If anything, the fact that SKL's kids are young for their grade makes me feel they're more likely to be able to handle themselves for a short time than the other way around-because usually emotionally immature, less responsible than grade-peers kids aren't candidates for acceleration in a group setting.

Well, I guess this thread isn't going to die so I might as well chime in.  ;)   

SKL's choice to leave her kids in the car was a perfectly legal and valid choice.

When we make legal and valid choices that do not infringe upon the rights of others, we should not have to contend with community/police intervention.  And no, I don't believe SKL's children's rights were infringed upon by having them wait safely in a locked car for 3 minutes.  And I don't subscribe to the notion that we should "appreciate" people who decide to intervene when it's completely unnecessary to do so.  Starbucks woman's intervention was unnecessary, a waste of police resources, and could have become a catalyst for a much more invasive and potentially damaging police/CPS investigation.

When I see kids sitting in a car by themselves, I assess whether they are in any danger (based on their age, the weather, the relative safety of the area, etc.).  If I'm concerned, I'll stay where I can keep an eye on them until their parent returns (and they've always returned within 1-2 minutes).  Starbucks woman's actions in this case make no sense to me.  Why immediately call the police?  How difficult would it have been to monitor the situation for a few minutes, when she was just sitting there drinking her coffee anyway?

SKL - I get why you were upset by this.  You came here to vent (which was absolutely clear from your very first post).  Add me to the list of people who are shocked by the reaction you received.  

Is it possible that a store employee made the call?

.... If anything, the fact that SKL's kids are young for their grade makes me feel they're more likely to be able to handle themselves for a short time than the other way around-because usually emotionally immature, less responsible than grade-peers kids aren't candidates for acceleration in a group setting.

I highly doubt a Starbucks employee made the call, because my kids were inside the car the whole time, and it was unlikely that they were visible to someone inside Starbucks, especially someone busy doing their job.  And I don't think the parking lot is Starbucks' property.  I could see McDs needing a policy because it's such a kid-oriented place.

I mentioned my kids' grade instead of their age because I didn't want people to picture a couple of little KG kids.  My daughters have been doing everything with older kids since they were 4.  School, sports, summer camps, and so on.  When they're not with 2nd graders (and older), they are with adults:  at work with Mom, at social events with business colleagues, traveling internationally, etc.  And they are used to having time together with very loose supervision, because their maturity level justifies it.  They are more than capable of understanding that I'm going to run into FedEx for a few minutes and they need to do xyz in the car so that I can run out and zip to the library immediately.

I highly doubt a Starbucks employee made the call, because my kids were inside the car the whole time, and it was unlikely that they were visible to someone inside Starbucks, especially someone busy doing their job.  And I don't think the parking lot is Starbucks' property.  I could see McDs needing a policy because it's such a kid-oriented place.

I mentioned my kids' grade instead of their age because I didn't want people to picture a couple of little KG kids.  My daughters have been doing everything with older kids since they were 4.  School, sports, summer camps, and so on.  When they're not with 2nd graders (and older), they are with adults:  at work with Mom, at social events with business colleagues, traveling internationally, etc.  And they are used to having time together with very loose supervision, because their maturity level justifies it.  They are more than capable of understanding that I'm going to run into FedEx for a few minutes and they need to do xyz in the car so that I can run out and zip to the library immediately.

Of course this ignores that the person who called in the report saw younger children than you implied left alone in the car. 

Of course this ignores that the person who called in the report saw younger children than you implied left alone in the car.

How is someone supposed to know the maturity of your child by looking at them. I would guess most people would go by perceived age. If your dd's are also small for their age(I don't know if they are) then the person could have easily thought they were around 5.

And, FWIW, as a mom with an accelerated kid, it gets very frustrating that my DD can be in a group class with older kids, have no trouble, but the instructor cannot allow her to walk out to my car instead of my going in to get her because of her age-and that's when the instructor has told me that DD is more responsible and capable than many of the middle school kids. If anything, the fact that SKL's kids are young for their grade makes me feel they're more likely to be able to handle themselves for a short time than the other way around-because usually emotionally immature, less responsible than grade-peers kids aren't candidates for acceleration in a group setting.

I have kids accelerated and mature for age too (in many ways, my DD can be a little high strung). My 12 year old is in a camp this week and I am spending 10-15 minutes every day waiting for him to get out of camp because ALL of them (6th to 8th graders) have to walk up as a group with an instructor after I send him in alone every day. I totally get that is an irritant. Kids up until age 10 at this place need to have a parent show up in the classroom for pick up. However, places like this have to consider their own liability obligations given how litigious our society has become. It is completely understandable to me why a business owner would call the police immediately if he/she saw unattended young kids on his property depending on the exact situation. (I'm not speaking to the OPs situation FTR, just in general.)

I get it. Things had not gone smoothly that day, you were all hungry and tired, and you were stressed. Knowing your kids and your area, you believed your kids would be okay in the car, doing what you told them to do.

I get it. I also get the cop checking into it. It does seem a little aggressive for someone to immediately call the cops on you. If I lived where you do and had seen you walk into the FedEx store and leave your kiddos in the car, I most 

likely would have watched for a few minutes to make sure they were safe. Once you had exited the store, I would have then realized everything was fine. More often than not people do NOT think things through and they just react. That

seems to be what happened here.

Deep breath, girl! Keep doing what you think is the right thing to do by your kids and just know there will always be someone who disagrees, whether or not it is any of their business.

They are school-aged children and they look like school-aged children.  And the situation they were in was neither illegal nor dangerous, nor did it look dangerous.

You have it in for me, it seems.  Not sure what I ever did to you.  This is not the first time you accused me of lying here on this forum when I was not.

They are school-aged children and they look like school-aged children.  And the situation they were in was neither illegal nor dangerous, nor did it look dangerous.

You have it in for me, it seems.  Not sure what I ever did to you.  This is not the first time you accused me of lying here on this forum when I was not.

You referred to them as your "second grade daughters" which implies to most people they are around 7-8 years old.  Is that their age or not?  In my state "school age" can include 4 year olds, so simply callng them school -aged children presents a wide range.

Wow, this is becoming The Thread that Wouldn't Die. :eek:

Hey SKL, maybe it'll go off on a crazy tangent about cupcakes or kilts or something, and you'll be as famous as Paige from the Great Cupcake Kerfuffle thread. :D

It sounds like you could use a break from all the criticism and I don't think anything constructive or helpful is going to come out of this in the end, anyway, so if you want me to sabotage the thread and turn it into something goofy, just let me know.

As it is, it has become nothing more than a lot of re-hashing of the same few points over and over again (on all sides,) and I thought you might be getting pretty sick of it.

You referred to them as your "second grade daughters" which implies to most people they are around 7-8 years old. Is that their age or not? In my state "school age" can include 4 year olds, so simply callng them school -aged children presents a wide range.

There was a thread here this week in which a mom has a 5 year old she considers a second grader.

SKL has been consistent all over this forum on all the boards about what grade her kids are in and she has been for years.

I

You referred to them as your "second grade daughters" which implies to most people they are around 7-8 years old. Is that their age or not? In my state "school age" can include 4 year olds, so simply callng them school -aged children presents a wide range.

I'm not SKL, but I was confused about that as well and SKL was kind enough to clear it up.

Her dds are around 6.5 years old. They will turn 7 in October and January.

I haven't even read the whole thread but understood that she was discussing a separate incident.

*Lu mused to no one in particular...*

I do not understand the level of vitriol in this thread toward SKL. She made a choice, it didn't go exactly as planned, she dealt with the consequences, and came here to vent her frustration.

I bet we have a dozen threads everyday with the same progression of a choice playing out; I have only seen a few venting threads where there was unanimous support for the actions of the venting board member. And let's face it, the second you make any parenting choice you are going to have those who agree and disagree. While you may not agree with her choice or her framing of the incident for herself, is it necessary to vilify her?

Like!!

Chocolate Reign, it is time to reign it in.  You have made your point, you don't believe her.  So MOVE ON! Why keep harping on it? other than to stir the pot which really is your MO more than hers. 

SKL I think you have more than defended yourself in this thread.  Time to move on to other things.  So what was on your dd's school supply list this year?  I have to say I am so glad to be homeschooling not just to avoid the big lists but because the schools out here don't allow the pretty binders or folders, or zippered binders etc.  Everyone must only use the plain basic ones to keep it fair between those that can afford the fancy and those that can't.  Technically I can't "really" afford the fancier stuff most of the time, but there have been good sales this year, and I still remember wanting that stuff as a kid.  I got some binders with adorable owl designs, and folders with puppies and kitties, and another binder in teal and black with plants but done in a way that makes me think it was asian inspired design, so pretty.  And zippered binders of course...hmmm I think I got more binders than necessary but I love them lol

Well, I guess this thread isn't going to die so I might as well chime in.  ;)   

SKL's choice to leave her kids in the car was a perfectly legal and valid choice.

When we make legal and valid choices that do not infringe upon the rights of others, we should not have to contend with community/police intervention.  And no, I don't believe SKL's children's rights were infringed upon by having them wait safely in a locked car for 3 minutes.  And I don't subscribe to the notion that we should "appreciate" people who decide to intervene when it's completely unnecessary to do so.  Starbucks woman's intervention was unnecessary, a waste of police resources, and could have become a catalyst for a much more invasive and potentially damaging police/CPS investigation.

When I see kids sitting in a car by themselves, I assess whether they are in any danger (based on their age, the weather, the relative safety of the area, etc.).  If I'm concerned, I'll stay where I can keep an eye on them until their parent returns (and they've always returned within 1-2 minutes).  Starbucks woman's actions in this case make no sense to me.  Why immediately call the police?  How difficult would it have been to monitor the situation for a few minutes, when she was just sitting there drinking her coffee anyway?

SKL - I get why you were upset by this.  You came here to vent (which was absolutely clear from your very first post).  Add me to the list of people who are shocked by the reaction you received.  

I agree.

You referred to them as your "second grade daughters" which implies to most people they are around 7-8 years old.  Is that their age or not?  In my state "school age" can include 4 year olds, so simply callng them school -aged children presents a wide range.

Second grade means second grade.  In my state, second graders can easily range from age 6 to 8.  My dd will be 7 in 2 months, so what difference does it make?

They are easily old enough to walk themselves to and from school in any state.  If they can do that, they can sit in a car for 3 minutes without imploding.

When my sister was 6, she ran a bookstore alone for short periods of time.  And nobody called the cops.

For that matter, the picture people will get of "6 years old" is a broad range.  Some six-year-olds are just entering KG, some are well-traveled second-graders.  I chose to use grade level since it is more descriptive of where my kids are at in all the important respects.

On the other hand, maybe it's flattering that so many people are so interested in you.  :001_smile:

As I tell my kids "love me or hate me at least your still talking about me"  I mean sometimes it can make you feel almost famous to have so many people watching everything you do lol

Second grade means second grade.  In my state, second graders can easily range from age 6 to 8.  My dd will be 7 in 2 months, so what difference does it make?

They are easily old enough to walk themselves to and from school in any state.  If they can do that, they can sit in a car for 3 minutes without imploding.

When my sister was 6, she ran a bookstore alone for short periods of time.  And nobody called the cops.

For that matter, the picture people will get of "6 years old" is a broad range.  Some six-year-olds are just entering KG, some are well-traveled second-graders.  I chose to use grade level since it is more descriptive of where my kids are at in all the important respects.

But someone observing your kids would see children that likely appear younger than what most would think of as being in the second grade age range, and that is what matters when the person belives children are being left unattended.

Since all that needs to be said has been...

I don't see why we ,as a forum, keep on engaging ChocolateReign in conversations. I realize this is a public forum and trolls are as welcome as anybody else, I suppose. But seriously? No one will "win" in a discussion with this person....and further engaging him/her only erodes away anything constructive coming from a thread.

Now with that said....will someone please tell me how to someone on ignore? I'm on an iPad and can't figure it out. Thanks in advance.

Since all that needs to be sad has been...

I don't see why we ,as a forum, keep on engaging ChocolateReign in conversations. I realize this is a public forum and trolls are as welcome as anybody else, I suppose. But seriously? No one will "win" in a discussion with this person....and further engaging him/her only erodes away anything constructive coming from a thread.

Now with that said....will someone please tell me how to someone on ignore? I'm on an iPad and can't figure it out. Thanks in advance.

My 1700+ likes must mean a few out there like me. ;)

Wow, this is becoming The Thread that Wouldn't Die. :eek:

Hey SKL, maybe it'll go off on a crazy tangent about cupcakes or kilts or something, and you'll be as famous as Paige from the Great Cupcake Kerfuffle thread. :D

It sounds like you could use a break from all the criticism and I don't think anything constructive or helpful is going to come out of this in the end, anyway, so if you want me to sabotage the thread and turn it into something goofy, just let me know.

As it is, it has become nothing more than a lot of re-hashing of the same few points over and over again (on all sides,) and I thought you might be getting pretty sick of it.

:iagree: Even if I participated. I'm sorry if I kept the thread going. I hope you are having a better day today SKL. :)

Since all that needs to be sad has been...

Click on your name up at the top of the page in the upper right hand corner, a menu will show up. Click on "manage ignore prefs." That will take you to another page where you can type in the name of anyone you want on your ignore list. You then click on whether or not you want to ignore their posts, signatures and/or block them from sending you PMs.