Menu

Rant: To the woman sipping coffee outside Starbucks at 8:30pm . . .

SKL

I have never talked myself out of a ticket but the cops usually knock 10-15km/hr off of it.  So the ticket still costs lots but is better than it would be. I know when I am speeding, so if I get pulled over I have my window down and license and registration out the window before they even walk up. Last time I got pulled over for it we were late for cadet camp.  It is a cop that works in the corps and was waiting for us.  I told the one that pulled me over this and he kept my license and registration with him and told him to drop the kids off and come straight back.  He knocked 15 km/hr off my ticket because I did just that.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told the one that pulled me over this and he kept my license and registration with him and told him to drop the kids off and come straight back.  He knocked 15 km/hr off my ticket because I did just that.

Isn't it illegal to drive without a license and registration? Here, that would be a ticket for not having proper documentation! 

I was pulled over once when I was young, and I was so freaked out and had a clean record, the cop let me off with a warning. When I was pulled over in VA last summer on my way to the Outer Banks, the cop said about 12 words to me, wrote the summons, and left. He was completely unemotional--not rude, but totally neutral. DH and I switched places after that! Thankfully, that one ticket didn't hit my insurance. I was worried about a big hike.

I have never successfully talked myself out of a ticket. I've only had a few, one I KNOW the cop clocked the speeder beside me and I got the ticket. I wasn't speeding because cops sat there every day. I once got pulled over on a six lane interstate because of expired tags and the cop was going the opposite direction. Yup, I'm a magnet. 

Once I got pulled over because my car matched the description of a stolen car.  The cop just happened to notice that my new tags were not on my license plates.  (It was January and my birthday is in October.)  I explained that the tags had been delayed because of an error at their end and after I finally got them, I was traveling etc.  He wrote me a ticket and said "explain it to the judge."  :/  So I had to take off work and go to court.  I brought all my proof of them cashing my check months before the due date, and the envelope with the tags coming after the due date (it's a miracle I still had the envelope).  So they were going to let me off with "only" court costs (about $60 I think).  Finally the stenographer spoke up and said, "I don't think she should have to pay anything at all."  So they let me off.  It was all I could do not to turn a somersault.  I had to control myself because the other people in traffic court were getting fines, jail, etc.  Yikes.

This year on Palm Sunday, my kid poked her palm leaf in my face as I was driving, and I hit someone's mailbox.  I responsibly drove back and offered to pay for the mailbox and labor to install it, but the owner insisted on calling the cops.  The cops gave me a ticket "to make sure insurance pays the claim."  The ticket was not waiverable, thus I had to go to court.  Sigh.  I explained myself, and they decided that having a palm leaf stuck in your face is not included under the "failure to control" statute, and found me innocent.  Once again, I had to suppress a beaming grin.  If I'd been driving from anywhere other than church, I probably would have had a fine.

FWIW,

when I was little, a few hundred years ago, my mom left my sister and I alone in the car to run into the bank.  We knew not to open the car door or windows for anyone.  A lady decided that my mom hadn't parked the car correctly and started pounding on the windows, shouting for us to open up and let her in.  Her companion went to the opposite door and was trying to get in.  Needless to say, it scared the bejeezus out of both of us.  My mom came back and they took off in their car. 

I wouldn't have called the cops like the Starbucks lady, but I definitely would have kept an eye on the situation to make sure the kids were okay until mom came back.  I think in this day and age we are all responsible for kids, whether they are ours or not.  In my area there have been horrible stories of child neglect.  Starbucks lady probably thought she was doing the right thing. 

I've never been ticketed even though I was pulled over a few times when younger. I look really young and when I was a teenager it meant I kind of got away with a lot. I was pulled over about two years ago (the first time in probably 15 years) and he let me go with a warning since I have such a clean record. I had one bad experience the first time I was pulled over at 16, but still wasn't ticketed.

Guest inoubliable

12 pages? 

Trollololololol.

In to say that I've been pulled over a few times. Never had a ticket. 

Carry on.

I'm so confused. Exactly who is the troll in this thread supposed to be? SKL has been here a while and has been consistent in who she is and what her family is like. I may not always agree with her but I see nothing in her posts here that are trollish. So, seriously, who's the troll? And why post in this thread at all if that is all you have to offer?

Guest inoubliable

I posted WAY back when the topic was viable, actually. :)

There's a few people here trolling each other. I wasn't saying anyone in particular. Sorry that you thought I meant SKL.

There's a few people here trolling each other. I wasn't saying anyone in particular. Sorry that you thought I meant SKL.

What does that even mean?

Guest inoubliable

What does that even mean?

There's no way that I'm going through 12 pages to point out specific posts where I'm pretty sure posters are posting *just* to dick with someone else in the thread. I think we're all smart enough to see it, if we want to. I was simply commenting (I guess I wasn't detailed enough) on how funny it is that some of the most innocuous threads here end up being 12+ pages of contention or debate. 

I guess SKL should have put JAWM in the thread title. 

There's no way that I'm going through 12 pages to point out specific posts where I'm pretty sure posters are posting *just* to dick with someone else in the thread. I think we're all smart enough to see it, if we want to. I was simply commenting (I guess I wasn't detailed enough) on how funny it is that some of the most innocuous threads here end up being 12+ pages of contention or debate. 

I guess it was your use of the word troll.  I would call that stirring the pot.  I imagine a troll as someone who creates a fake profile, has no intent to be serious in their posting, and only wants to create drama.  I guess there could be some people on here doing that.  I was absent for awhile and there are a lot of new people.  Or maybe my definition of a troll is wrong.  

Then why not just say what you mean and who you think is trolling? I've never called anyone out on this forum of being a troll but I have called someone out on always changing their story. I didn't do it in a round about way either. I just really don't get the few posters who have hinted at a troll in this very thread but not gone further. If you don't mean SKL, but are posting in her thread, why don't you just be blunt and honest? I'm just not seeing it. I see many posters being who they've always been, but no one I would call a troll. People disagree. So what?

Then why not just say what you mean and who you think is trolling? I've never called anyone out on this forum of being a troll but I have called someone out on always changing their story. I didn't do it in a round about way either. I just really don't get the few posters who have hinted at a troll in this very thread but not gone further. If you don't mean SKL, but are posting in her thread, why don't you just be blunt and honest? I'm just not seeing it. I see many posters being who they've always been, but no one I would call a troll. People disagree. So what?

It's because there isn't a troll.  I'd say that post was more trollish than any others.

I didn't know that a thread with lots of pages was a bad thing.  As long as people are staying civil and observing the forum rules.

Exactly.  Some of the accusers are regularly on other really long threads (where people are seriously discussing various issues), just to stir the pot. 

Since trolls have been introduced into this discussion.... Do trolls leave their troll children in the troll mobile unattended while they run into Troll Foods or get a latte at Trollbucks?  Do trolls even drive? Well, I guess the photo below answers that one, but there are so many other unanswered questions. 

9515277876_d11923e811.jpg

Actually, I don't get the troll comment either (guess my definition of "troll" is different).  But that doesn't stop me from having fun with it.   :D

OK, where did you get binders with an owl design?

Walmart! There was 2 designs.  One had little owls all over, the other had 1 big owl on the front.  Spine of the one with the big owl is dark pink, spine of the one with the little owls had pastel colored zig zags.  They are quite cute, and cost me $5.97CDN each so I am sure cheaper in the US.

Since trolls have been introduced into this discussion.... Do trolls leave their troll children in the troll mobile unattended while they run into Troll Foods or get a latte at Trollbucks?  Do trolls even drive? Well, I guess the photo below answers that one, but there are so many other unanswered questions. 

9515277876_d11923e811.jpg

Actually, I don't get the troll comment either (guess my definition of "troll" is different).  But that doesn't stop me from having fun with it.   :D

Is that troll naked?  

Children die in cars almost daily and they die fast because of the heat. 8:30 is still hot. Cars are stolen every day, her children were in the car. There is so much that is wrong with leaving young children unattended in a car. I would have called. I have called.

An earlier post you stated that it was not culturally acceptable here to allow children to wait for parents in the car. Actually, looking around me, I would say that is an incorrect assumption. 

The number of child deaths from overheating in cars has increased tremendously in recent years. It has gone up from almost nothing. Most of those deaths are infants in car seats who were forgotten, in the back seat, rear facing. There was an article recently published (as a response to a death in Alabama) that showed a direct inverse link with the mandatory backseat carseat law of recent years. It floored me. Wish I could find a link for it. The number of deaths due to heat stroke were higher than the number of deaths prevented by moving babies to the backseat and staying rear facing. 

I did find an interesting link. http://www.ggweather.com/heat/  It seems that SKL's girls had a very slim chance of expiring due to heat. I'm guessing that less than one percent of the total deaths for 8 yos it happened to had some sort of extenuating circumstance. I'll be willing to bet the house that it wasn't a parent making a quick run into the store in the evening.

At that age, I left mine in the car alone at times. They were old enough to get out of the car, enter the store, and find me if they were getting hot or needed anything.   Random kidnapping from a locked car is so statistically small a possibility that it wouldn't have even crossed my mine. They would be more likely to be kidnapped if I had taken them in the store where they would have been allowed to be looking around and not plastered to my side.  Of course, you probably think I should have still had them glued to me. Glue just isn't my style.

I just wanted to say that SKL has been a trooper though all of this.  She had a crazy night, was freaked out by what happened, and her ranting post turned out to be a memorably epic board post. She stuck with the thread, calmly and kindly defended herself when she felt it necessary, even responding after being accused of lying (more than once).  I am sure I could not have been that big of a person here.

I considered IMing her, but it seemed that a public post expressing my admiration and respect was far more appropriate. :wub:

SKL, you're a peach.  And an awesome mom.  I can only imagine that you model this same kind of mature behavior to your girls. They will be better people because of it.  And you're a great boardie too.

Accusations of trolling are pretty divisive and serious. If you're not willing to support your accusation then don't bring it up.

Guest inoubliable

Accusations of trolling are pretty divisive and serious. If you're not willing to support your accusation then don't bring it up.

Give me a break. I didn't accuse anyone in particular. 

It was more of an observation about the thread in general. Some of you have the weirdest definition of "internet troll". Are you telling me, in all seriousness, that you don't think some of the posts here weren't made with the intent just to piss off someone else in the thread? Ohhhhh.... exactly. That'd be a form of trolling. And since it wasn't all on "their side" or "their side" or by just a certain poster or two, I'm not going through all 12 pages to call out every single post that looks like it could be a trolling post and who the intended victim of the trolling was. So. Observation of the thread in general. Supportive enough? Good grief.

Shocking, isn't it, that I was actually defending SKL and remarking on how some parts of the thread were contentious just for the sake of contention? And, sad that some people can't see past their personal opinion about me to see that I wasn't being an asshole at all. 

Have a great day.

Walmart! There was 2 designs.  One had little owls all over, the other had 1 big owl on the front.  Spine of the one with the big owl is dark pink, spine of the one with the little owls had pastel colored zig zags.  They are quite cute, and cost me $5.97CDN each so I am sure cheaper in the US.

Thanks!

Guest submarines

Give me a break. I didn't accuse anyone in particular. 

It was more of an observation about the thread in general. Some of you have the weirdest definition of "internet troll". Are you telling me, in all seriousness, that you don't think some of the posts here weren't made with the intent just to piss off someone else in the thread? Ohhhhh.... exactly. That'd be a form of trolling. And since it wasn't all on "their side" or "their side" or by just a certain poster or two, I'm not going through all 12 pages to call out every single post that looks like it could be a trolling post and who the intended victim of the trolling was. So. Observation of the thread in general. Supportive enough? Good grief.

Shocking, isn't it, that I was actually defending SKL and remarking on how some parts of the thread were contentious just for the sake of contention? And, sad that some people can't see past their personal opinion about me to see that I wasn't being an asshole at all. 

Have a great day.

ITA^

I'll take it one step further. Anyone who read this thread and then states that she doesn't understand what KKinVA is talking about, either is not very attentive (and I don't blame her, the thread it not really worth a careful read) or is engaging in trolling herself (or maybe by alternative definition, is "stirring the pot.")

Wow, 12 pages?? I wish I didn't have to get up early...I bet this is an interesting thread!!!

I'd say it's more entertaining than interesting.   ;)  The biggest revelation to me from this thread was the level of paranoia and judgment coming from some posters.  Not pretty. 

The thing about trolling is that it's in the eye of the beholder sometimes.

I suspect I know what KK may be talking about, but I am not sure.  By the way, KK is not the only person who brought up trolling in this thread - in a similarly open-ended way.  At least one person who brought up trolling "liked" one of the posts I would consider a trolling post.  So maybe I am just stupid.

I agree that there has been trolling in this thread, but not any more than in other long threads that the Long Thread Police haven't scolded anyone over. I would argue that popping on just to make a random allusion to trolling is also trolling or at the very least stirring the pot.

I agree that there has been trolling in this thread, but not any more than in other long threads that the Long Thread Police haven't scolded anyone over. I would argue that popping on just to make a random allusion to trolling is also trolling or at the very least stirring the pot.

:iagree:

Can someone clarify what trolling means at this forum? Troll and trolling has typically  meant to me that it's a person who is just coming in to stir the pot and say obnoxious things to cause drama. It could be a regular poster or a person no one knows. 

I just finally read the entire thread. Do I get a cupcake? A kilted hottie? 

Can someone clarify what trolling means at this forum? Troll and trolling has typically meant to me that it's a person who is just coming in to stir the pot and say obnoxious things to cause drama. It could be a regular poster or a person no one knows.

I just finally read the entire thread. Do I get a cupcake? A kilted hottie?

Can I intrest you in an aspirin?