Menu

Rant: To the woman sipping coffee outside Starbucks at 8:30pm . . .

SKL

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone else offended by the naked troll pictures posted in this thread? :huh: :svengo:

Yeah I'm not either. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I can't help but secretly wonder if those trolls are looking at us with "more than just curiosity..." :)

Oops... wrong thread! :D

But I can't help but secretly wonder if those trolls are looking at us with "more than just curiosity..." :)

Oops... wrong thread!

Oh my, you just made my day. :lol:  Now I am thoroughly frightened. :ohmy:  I always did think those troll dolls were secretly a bit sinister. What with those creepy smiles and all.

Perhaps you should just ignore the Ignore notice.

Of course, if I'm the one SKL is ignoring, she just got another one of those irritating notices! ;)

I've never used the ignore function, but if you get a notice each time there's a post you're ignoring, that totally would NOT work for me.  I'd be clicking on each one to see what I'm ignoring, totally defeating the purpose of ignoring someone in the first place.   :lol:

Perhaps you should just ignore the Ignore notice.

Of course, if I'm the one SKL is ignoring, she just got another one of those irritating notices! ;)

They need to add that feature.  An ignore ignore notice ignore.  

I don't think you are the only one she is ignoring.  

It's a very convenient time to ignore us, too.  You know, right when we ask her to clarify herself.

What an odd word... ignore.  

I've never used the ignore function, but if you get a notice each time there's a post you're ignoring, that totally would NOT work for me.  I'd be clicking on each one to see what I'm ignoring, totally defeating the purpose of ignoring someone in the first place.   :lol:

Yeah, I like to know what I'm ignoring in advance.

I've never used the ignore function, but if you get a notice each time there's a post you're ignoring, that totally would NOT work for me.  I'd be clicking on each one to see what I'm ignoring, totally defeating the purpose of ignoring someone in the first place.

I'm far to curious to be able to do that.

I've never used the ignore function, but if you get a notice each time there's a post you're ignoring, that totally would NOT work for me. I'd be clicking on each one to see what I'm ignoring, totally defeating the purpose of ignoring someone in the first place. :lol:

Same here.

I think the curiosity would drive me nuts.

I've never used the ignore function, but if you get a notice each time there's a post you're ignoring, that totally would NOT work for me. I'd be clicking on each one to see what I'm ignoring, totally defeating the purpose of ignoring someone in the first place. :lol:

I make good use of the ignore function, and you do not recieve notices.

Every place within a thread a poster you have on ignore posts you get a thin box with thier username. You can click to see the post, or just keep scrollin' on by. Any thread they start still shows up like normal.

I frequently choose to click and read, but with a grain of salt. It is a big board and if I've put some poster on ignore it is to remind myself that reading his/her posts may cause me to twitch, groan, or need the big wine glass. :P

Maybe we should start a club. :D

What shall we name it?  The Ignore Club?  Maybe we can play like Tyler Durden and ignore ourselves.

I make good use of the ignore function, and you do not recieve notices.

Every place within a thread a poster you have on ignore posts you get a thin box with thier username. You can click to see the post, or just keep scrollin' on by. Any thread they start still shows up like normal.

I frequently choose to click and read, but with a grain of salt. It is a big board and if I've put some poster on ignore it is to remind myself that reading his/her posts may cause me to twitch, groan, or need the big wine glass. :P

Thanks for the clarification -- I didn't know how it worked. :)

Hey! I can Like posts again -- I have been getting that message that said I'd used up my Like Quota for the day, but I just tried it again and POOF, it worked!

:party:

That's a club benefit.  Your quotas are ignored.

Give me a break. I didn't accuse anyone in particular.

It was more of an observation about the thread in general. Some of you have the weirdest definition of "internet troll". Are you telling me, in all seriousness, that you don't think some of the posts here weren't made with the intent just to piss off someone else in the thread? Ohhhhh.... exactly. That'd be a form of trolling. And since it wasn't all on "their side" or "their side" or by just a certain poster or two, I'm not going through all 12 pages to call out every single post that looks like it could be a trolling post and who the intended victim of the trolling was. So. Observation of the thread in general. Supportive enough? Good grief.

Shocking, isn't it, that I was actually defending SKL and remarking on how some parts of the thread were contentious just for the sake of contention? And, sad that some people can't see past their personal opinion about me to see that I wasn't being an asshole at all.

Have a great day.

So if you didn't mean to accuse anyone in particular, again, why bother? Because what inevitably happens is that you cast the net so wide that everyone is left thinking they were meant to be caught in it. And folks get upset, just like what what ended up happening.

The other thing is that I've given up trying to figure out who's stirring the pot. It may be that someone is or it honestly may be that they passionately believes you should never let your children out of your sight for more then ten seconds And if you do you're putting them in great peril and they need for you to understand that so you're children aren't abducted. That's tiresome but it's not trolling and since this is such a diverse board it's probably the safer and more generally true assumption. But then it's best to counter their beliefs with facts and reason and move on.

BUT I was wrong about you being specific. That would violate board rules. Probably best to simply not mention trolling, turn off the computer and go make brownies. I did. :D

Oh my, you just made my day. :lol:  Now I am thoroughly frightened. :ohmy:  I always did think those troll dolls were secretly a bit sinister. What with those creepy smiles and all.

Yea..I thought the same thing.  Creepy.  However, I did like those pens with the eyes that had the same kind of hair as the trolls.  I liked to braid and twist the hair while I was learning exciting things at school.  :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oops... wrong thread! :D

Or since the trolls are naked are we looking at them with more than curiosity?

There has to be a happy medium.  Can't children be taught to sit for 5 minutes without causing the car to explode?

This is the type of reasoning that causes our children to never grow up.  We wonder why we are so tired all the time--- because we keep our children "safe" by never allowing them them any perceived dangers-- so we do everything for them and take them with us all the time.

Children at 8 yrs old 100 yrs ago could be left at home, with younger children, and a gun to ward off intruders.

Now we cannot leave them in a locked car, 50 ft from mom, for 5 minutes?

Finally!  A voice of reason!  My 7 year old 2nd grader is FINE in the car.

Is there a way to tell who is ignoring me? Sometimes I think people are when I comment in a thread and am, well, ignored.

I keep reading this thread, just because I am so blown away that it's still going!

Ifs there a way to tell who is ignoring me? Sometimes I think people are when I comment in a thread and am, well, ignored.

I don't know, but I doubt it.

But it would be fun if we could find out, though! :)

(Oh, and I guess you now know that I'm not ignoring you. ;))

I guess it was your use of the word troll.  I would call that stirring the pot.  I imagine a troll as someone who creates a fake profile, has no intent to be serious in their posting, and only wants to create drama.  I guess there could be some people on here doing that.  I was absent for awhile and there are a lot of new people.  Or maybe my definition of a troll is wrong.  

If I understand correctly, that is the definition of *a troll*, but *trolling* has an additional definition of posting something deliberately inflammatory to stir up trouble or aggravate people.  At least that is how it has been explained to me.

I actually read the whole thread.  (Yes, I have things I should be doing, but....)

I'm really glad some of the posters here don't live near me.  They would have an absolute conniption upon seeing my 9yo ds in the car alone watching his baby brother nap.  :svengo:

Wait! We're allowed to say 'asshole' on here? It's not censured? It's the Honor System that keeps these boards generally free of vulgarity (lascivious kindergarteners notwithstanding)???

I guess we can!! At another board, we started saying Asshat to get around it. 

Guest inoubliable

Wait! We're allowed to say 'asshole' on here? It's not censured? It's the Honor System that keeps these boards generally free of vulgarity (lascivious kindergarteners notwithstanding)???

Well, you know, until the community reports the comment with "asshole" in it. ;)

I was 4 when I started Kindergarten. In my state the cutoff used to be after my bday - early October - for private schools, at least. I started at St. James when I was four. It definitely happens. My youngest was 4 last year when he started Kindergarten. He's not yet 6 and doing 1st grade this year. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who knows a kid who was held back a year at home before starting Kindergarten, making them 6. Weird to see anyone here having to defend the "you can be 4 and still be in Kindergarten" fact. 

Since this thread is still alive, I will do my part to keep it alive.   In keeping with the topic, I regularly go to a coffee shop.  They have a frequent user card so they know me.  A few years back, my kids were 7 and 9, after having a particularly harrowing day chasing down a runaway pet, I went to my happy place, the coffee shop.  Upon getting there, I decided to *gasp* leave my children in. the. suv.   I parked in front of the window.  I could see them as I went in. In case anyone wonders, yes, the suv did have tinted glass windows.  I walked right in, they handed me my drink, like I said, they know me.  As I turned to leave, a lady wondered who owned said suv.  In hindsight, I should have ignored question and just walked right out to my car.  But in reality, I stupidly said I did.  She proceeded to lecture me about the safety of children in the car: What would happen if something happened to me while I was in here?  (I was thinking, they would unbuckle and come and see what was going on).  Told me if I didn't want my children, she would take them.  Meanwhile she is blocking the door, I couldn't get around her.  She was an older lady, and there was a group of some other older ladies sitting at a table.  She turns to them and they join, in.  All I am thinking is I need to get the h*** out of there and she has now wasted more time with her lecture than if I had just been in and out. I finally just shoved past.  ( I could still see my kids the entire time this was happening and they were fine). SKL, having just had a stressful situation happen and heaping another on top, makes for a crappy day.  :grouphug:

Later, I talked with a cop and told her the situation. I was concerned about the legalities etc.  The cop said if the car is where you can see it and it is no more than 15- 20 minutes, there isn't a problem.  If it is hot, leave the windows cracked.  Don't leave the keys in the car. 

I don't know the women's history and why she was so upset.  But I often have wondered if she had a situation where she did that and had something happen to one of her children.  I wasn't really as upset about the fact that she was concerned but for the fact that she made a scene so the entire coffee shop started participating  and that if she was really concerned, she would have not gone on and on.  Seriously, lecture me as I am walking to my car.  Don't block the door so it makes an uncomfortable situation even more so.  The employees at the coffee shop later told me they couldn't believe what had happened and apologized.    

I admit, I am a weird person magnet.  Once, before I had children, I was in a fast food place.  There was a lady in a wheelchair doing crafts.  I talked to her about what she was doing.  After about 5 minutes of conversation, she asked if I would like a job helping her get bathed and dressed everyday.  Ah...nope.  I didn't go back to that fast food place again.