Menu

S/o words you wish would disappear

Danestress

We have a thread currently in words one seldom hears. What words do you wish you could hear less of?

If I ruled the linguistic world, I would impose fines for saying (or writing) "veggies" in place of "vegetables." I don't know why I hate it soo much, but I just hate reading about 'fruits and veggies.' Is it really so burdensome to write the whole word?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ginormous and Ridonculous drive me nuts!

Other words I hear teens use about 50 times in 10 minutes are "epic, ridiculous, and epic fail." Those words in and of themselves are fine, but teens overuse them and I am just tired of hearing them!

Veggies doesn't bother me.

I would ban the word panties.  That word makes me shudder. 

I would also ban Ginormous.

We have a thread currently in words one seldom hears. What words do you wish you could hear less of?

If I ruled the linguistic world, I would impose fines for saying (or writing) "veggies" in place of "vegetables." I don't know why I hate it soo much, but I just hate reading about 'fruits and veggies.' Is it really so burdensome to write the whole word?

I never say veggies, but my husband might like it if I did. 

I have no idea why but I say vegetables with a "N" sound inserted in the middle.

VegeN-tables

It annoys the dickens out of him. 

Preggers and anywho make me shudder, too.

Girls - when referring to body parts.  I'm fine with almost any other name, but calling breasts "girls" makes me cringe.  They are not separate from us.  

Gifted or gifting.  I am well aware of the origins of the use of the word, but its recent comeback is disappointing.  I am completely comfortable with "given" and "giving."  

Busted.  

And last but not least - squat.  I have no idea but the sound of the word squat is just bizarre to me.  

Wow, I have a lot of word peeves.   :huh:

I cringe when I hear someone use POP instea of soda. Literally cringe.

I don't mind panties, but can't stand the phrase "big girl panties".

Hubby is a word I can do without, especially when a younger woman says it. Don't know why.

Hash tag. I hate that word with all my being.

Stop turning nouns into verbs. I can take just about anything else.

Exactly!!!!  Such as "leverage" and other insipid "business speak" "action" or "power" words.  For pity's sake, speak normally!

I am also on the verge of banning "meep", my eldest's favorite say-it-all word, gleaned from a cartoon character she saw 2 years ago.  Why now, I have no idea.  She has been told that overuse of it will get the word banned entirely in our house, so she is learning to become very circumspect.  Basically, we told her use of it as an OCCASIONAL (not every day) interjection is fine, but if there is a real word, phrase, or sentence that will express what she means she is expected to use it and not just "meep" at us.

I mean, criminentlies, how hard can it be to avoid silly or nonsensical wording, dagnabbit?

Ginormous and Ridonculous drive me nuts!

Other words I hear teens use about 50 times in 10 minutes are "epic, ridiculous, and epic fail." Those words in and of themselves are fine, but teens overuse them and I am just tired of hearing them!

:lol:  I've looked at my boys more than once this summer and said "If everything is epic, then nothing is."  They agree, and then keep saying the word (only now they say it with a smile as they watch it annoy me :lol:).

I hate the word 'puter for computer.  Preggers should go.  As should hubby for husband.  

I also really don't like the word fart.

I don't mind the word "veggie" - but I have a hard time with Veggie-Tales (or however that's spelled.) My kids love them :glare:

Why all the portmanteau hate.

Next folks will be arguing against the use of slithy, or even Wikipedia!

Ginormous is a good word. Chillax is far better than chill pill. What kind of world would we have without Muppets, or infotainment? ;)

Mimsy arguments against word addition is anti- Bardology. Anyway, this board can't exist without the use of sheeple. :)

Yep, I agree with fart, booger, and preggers.  I don't care for curse words, and I especially hate "fricken" "friggen" or any other sounds-similar word. 

I could really do without the world using "baby-daddy" or "baby-mama".

It also annoys the heck out of me when dh says "sammich".

Hubby, Hubs, and Hubster.  :ack2:

Preggers & preggo

the 'f' word for passing gas.

Panties.

Pop for soda.

That Pittsburghese word for you, you plural, etc.  It is treated as a curse word in my house. :ack2: :ack2: :ack2:   I can't even type it...  but it begins with "Y" and ends with "inz."  :ack2: :ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

Preggers and anywho make me shudder, too.

Girls - when referring to body parts. I'm fine with almost any other name, but calling breasts "girls" makes me cringe. They are not separate from us.

Gifted or gifting. I am well aware of the origins of the use of the word, but its recent comeback is disappointing. I am completely comfortable with "given" and "giving."

Busted.

And last but not least - squat. I have no idea but the sound of the word squat is just bizarre to me.

Wow, I have a lot of word peeves. :huh:

Oh, I hate "gifted"and "gifting".

To the general population:

Another is "convicted" when one is not referring to a felon. Yes, I know it is being used correctly, but "convinced" is getting lonely from lack of use.

I wish the old fashioned nickname for Richard was no longer used to refer to a man's penis.

I think "baby daddy" is ridiculous.

Oh, what does "ridonkulous" stand for? I know "chilax" is relax and chill. I know "ginormous" is giant and enormous.

Exactly!!!! Such as "leverage" and other insipid "business speak" "action" or "power" words. For pity's sake, speak normally!

I am also on the verge of banning "meep", my eldest's favorite say-it-all word, gleaned from a cartoon character she saw 2 years ago. Why now, I have no idea. She has been told that overuse of it will get the word banned entirely in our house, so she is learning to become very circumspect. Basically, we told her use of it as an OCCASIONAL (not every day) interjection is fine, but if there is a real word, phrase, or sentence that will express what she means she is expected to use it and not just "meep" at us.

I mean, criminentlies, how hard can it be to avoid silly or nonsensical wording, dagnabbit?

LOL

dd meeps also. Must be the age.

Oh, I hate "gifted"and "gifting".

To the general population:

Another is "convicted" when one is not referring to a felon. Yes, I know it is being used correctly, but "convinced" is getting lonely from lack of use.

I wish the old fashioned nickname for Richard was no longer used to refer to a man's penis.

I think "baby daddy" is ridiculous.

Oh, what does "ridonkulous" stand for? I know "chilax" is relax and chill. I know "ginormous" is giant and enormous.

Or the perfectly nice name of Peter. What about Johnson? What's the history there? Oh, and because I can be immature like that, I want to giggle when I hear 'junk'.

I always assumed ridonkulous was ridiculous and donkey combined, but when I did a quick search, it seems it became popular after being used in a movie. Where the writer got it, I don't know. And I can't figure out what movie.

Or the perfectly nice name of Peter.

I always assumed ridonkulous was ridiculous and donkey combined, but when I did a quick search, it seems it became popular after being used in a movie. Where the writer got it, I don't know. And I can't figure out what movie.

I agree. I think Peter is coming back to being a name again.

LIKE - I really want to get rid of it.  It is overused.  My dd has friends that say "like" 4 or 5 times each sentence.  It drives me batty.   We could just drop the word from the English language then have people either think before they speak or stumble around their sentences and say "um.." all through them instead.  

Issues - that is another one.  I had a van whose engine blew.  The mechanic said that model had "issues."  No, it didn't have "issues"  It had problems.  Let's just be honest and call a problem a problem.

LIKE - I really want to get rid of it. It is overused. My dd has friends that say "like" 4 or 5 times each sentence. It drives me batty. We could just drop the word from the English language then have people either think before they speak or stumble around their sentences and say "um.." all through them instead.

Issues - that is another one. I had a van whose engine blew. The mechanic said that model had "issues." No, it didn't have "issues" It had problems. Let's just be honest and call a problem a problem.

"Houston, we have an issue" just doesn't work, does it?