Menu

If you have a bathroom off your master bedroom

plain jane

Would you prefer to have more counter space or a double sink?

We are planning our ensuite renovation but can't decide what to do. Currently there is one sink with a very long (ugly) counter. I use the counter as a change table as its the perfect size and spot for that (beside sink is great for cloth wipes!)

Dh says we should take out the long counter and replace the vanity with one that has a double sink. Dh and I are rarely in the barroom at the same time so I see no use for this other than resale.

I am more concerned with resale and what most people are looking in a bathroom than what my preference is (which is another long counter for diaper changes and later make up or whatever).

What says the Hive? What's desirable these days?

Double sink... most women 40 and under don't use vanities anymore, and with at least 50% of women working outside of the home, chances are they and their spouses are in the bathroom at the same time.

I say this with one caveat...the double sink should be at least 5' long. 4' double sinks are only fit for children ;) If you have a 4' space, re-position the sink so that it is centered on the vanity (giving a bit more "personal" counter space on each side.

That's what I'd do, anyhow.

Double sink... most women 40 and under don't use vanities anymore, and with at least 50% of women working outside of the home, chances are they and their spouses are in the bathroom at the same time.

I say this with one caveat...the double sink should be at least 5' long. 4' double sinks are only fit for children ;) If you have a 4' space, re-position the sink so that it is centered on the vanity (giving a bit more "personal" counter space on each side.

It's actually going to be 6 feet. :). Two sinks and counter space, I guess. Lol

Single sink with a longer counter.

It never occurred to me that a double sink would be more desirable and better for resale. Even when DH and I were both working outside the home full-time, we didn't find our single sink to be a problem (we have a single sink with a long counter, and I prefer that).

I agree with this but what I most like in a shared bathroom is a separate water closet with a door. If you don't already have that, and putting in just one sink would open up space for that, that's what I'd do.

Would you prefer to have more counter space or a double sink?

We are planning our ensuite renovation but can't decide what to do. Currently there is one sink with a very long (ugly) counter. I use the counter as a change table as its the perfect size and spot for that (beside sink is great for cloth wipes!)

Dh says we should take out the long counter and replace the vanity with one that has a double sink. Dh and I are rarely in the barroom at the same time so I see no use for this other than resale.

I am more concerned with resale and what most people are looking in a bathroom than what my preference is (which is another long counter for diaper changes and later make up or whatever).

What says the Hive? What's desirable these days?

Double sink. If I moved into a house that had an en suite master bathroom, I'd think one sink was very odd, and I'd be looking at remodeling.

We don't store stuff on our counter. Under the sink, in a near-by closet, never on the counter.

What about putting in a double sink base and all of the plumbing, but not cutting out the second hole? That way you would both be getting what you want. You could even buy the second sink and matching faucet to have for future use.

I remember using our extra long counter for a changing area as well. I think I'd rather share a sink if I still had babies around.

Double sink. We chose this house over the one across the street based on the single vs. double sink. The people who bought the house across the street thought they could live with the single; they've commented that they really don't like it, though.

Even though we don't usually get ready at the same time on weekday mornings, sometimes we do. We also get ready for bed at the same time, get ready for church at the same time, get ready to go out to the movies/dinner/parties at the same time.

When our kids were still young enough to need help/supervision with nighttime toothbrushing, they used the double sink so we could get them both done at once.

Our last house had one sink and a long counter. It looked weird, IMO. That being said, our new house has a double sink setup, and we pretty much just use one. :p

At 6', though, it sounds like the best of both worlds - plenty of space and two sinks!

You wrote that you and your DH are rarely in the bathroom at the same time... Well, in our Master Bathroom, you walk into an an area where there is a sink/countertop on your left (hers) and a sink/countertop on your right (his). At the end of that area, there is a thin door, which leads to the shower and one (1) toilet. There have been times when we wished that we had two (2) toilets...

GL with whatever you decide!

We have a short-ish area for our sink top in the bathroom. The old owners had double pedestal sinks, which was annoying. We put in a single vanity with two sinks and a storage tower in the middle. Nothing needs to sit on the counter except soap. I even hid power outlets in there and under the sinks. My hair dryer and toothbrushes live in the tower, and DH's electric razors live in their chargers under his sink. All of our hair products, deodorants, makeup, etc. go in the tower. It's much easier to clean too because everything stays put away. Just wipe down the counters, clean the sinks and mirrors, and dust the tower a bit. It does not come out as far as the countertop does, so it's not super bulky feeling. It matches the vanity cabinet underneath. I puffy heart that thing! :)

We have a double sink, but I'd rather have one in the middle of the long counter. We have no drawers, so I'd love drawers on the ends. We rarely actually use the sinks at the same time, and it's two sinks to clean. Dh doesn't have a beard and shaves in the shower. We basically use our sinks to wash hands and brush teeth. I use it to wash my face, too.

I like the double sink so much that when we built our home I had a double put in the children's bathroom too. Another great thing about a double sink is over the holidays, when we had a couple of long-term guests, it was easy to move a kid or two to using the master bathroom without driving me crazy.

I'd definitely prefer two sinks. Just make sure you put a light over it if there is a light over the original sink. I have the same set up at my house, a very long master bath counter with a sink on one end. I get the counter half of the bathroom, since I have more stuff to spread out . ;) We'll eventually put in a new vanity; for now, other things are taking priority.

Double. I hate, hate, HATE my single sink. It is soooo hard for two of us to get ready at once. I have personal space issues, even with Dh.

My personal space issues get DH kicked out of the bathroom altogether. I'd definitely rather have one sink and more counter space.

I guess I'd do double sinks for the resale value, since most people prefer it, but we have a tiny master bath with one sink and no counter space (just the little area around the sink) and I've never seen a need for more of either. Just more things to break or clean. Actually, I'm a minimalist to a less-than-healthy degree and duplicate sinks would be a slight turn-off for me in house buying. But I'm weird.

Double sink. We keep all our 'stuff' in the cabinets &/or drawers under the sinks, so we don't have much need for counter space. Love the double-sinks, though. (Our house originally had a single sink w/ a long counter & we tore it out to put in double sinks.)

We never ever found a need for our double sink when we had one for 5+ years. Now we have single sink in the master bath. It's fine. We're married. We can spit into the same sink.

That said, we are clearly in the minority as far as preferring single to double sinks. We don't need a lot of personal space- we shower together in a small tub and share a double bed so we don't seek to spread out by nature I guess.

Dh wanted to add that another advantage of a double sink is that you don't have to worry if the cat is sitting in a sink -- you still have one you can use.

Our cats rarely sit in the sink, so it's an odd comment. But I guess dh likes to be prepared.