Menu

Any moms who've had a posterior-facing baby during pregnancy?

mommylawyer

I'm expecting baby number 5 in 6 weeks or so. The baby is posterior (face forward). I had a minor freak out today and called my midwife in a panic. She assured me she's not too worried since I've had four other children. However, I was just wondering if any of you had a posterior baby that (a) turned before labor, (B) turned during labor, © didn't turn but you survived. I am planning a home birth (my second) so I am not planning on any anesthetic intervention. Thanks!

My dd was posterior. It made for nasty back labor, but we all made it through. She was super early though and there was a lot else going on. My mom had two posterior babies. Her first baby and then my little sister. She said the back pain was horrendous, and the labor a little longer, but it was all ok in the end and neither baby seemed stressed by it.

DD was my first, and she was 'sunny side up'. I was induced, as she was two weeks overdue, so I had the added pleasure of Pitocin-induced labor. It was incredibly painful back labor. I don't know how much of that was because she was posterior or because of the Pit...or a combination of both.

She and I were both fine throughout the entire labor process. Hard labor lasted about 5 hours.

My first was posterior. He also malpresented (I think that's the term - he kept looking up instead of keeping his head tucked). Everyone seemed way more concerned about that part than him being posterior, but we both came through it fine. He's a happy, healthy 9 year old now. :laugh:

My first was, and he was vacuum-assisted. He kept "turtling" (sliding back up between pushes) and so the OB used the vacuum to hold him down and to gently rotate him. I had an epidural right off the bat and labored laying in bed all night before he was born. I often wonder if he would have turned on his own during labor if I'd been up and moving.

I'm pretty sure #4 was posterior because I had minor "back-labor-like" symptoms for days before he was born (pressure around my tailbone with radiation down my legs, double-peaked contractions), but he was born by c-section (planned, repeat) so I don't know for sure and I never thought to ask anyone :)

My baby A was posterior but he was also malpresented. His chin tucked into my pelvis and he got absolutely stuck in the (long because he was stuck) pushing phase. I think it's called mentum posterior. The very experienced OB told me she had only had that position one other time. It's rare, even for posterior babies in my understanding.

#4 was posterior even during delivery. #5 was every which way except what she was supposed to be until about a week befo I had her. she did flip flop often before birth but ultimately was born facing the right way. ;). I had an anterior placenta with her, which is why my mw said she was probably transverse and posterior so much.

My posterior (during birth) baby was a homebirth. Thank goodness for Hypnobabies and a water birth! But it still wasn't my hardest birth. She was well over 8# and my midwife about fainted seeing how her hear presented. But it really wasn't bad. #5 also was a homebirth, but she was born in the caul. :)

I have a couple close friends who were able to deliver posterior-facing babes. I could not, unfortunately; after many hours of labor, mine became a c-section, but it was somewhat a question whether I'd be able to deliver naturally anyway because of my particular anatomy. If you've already delivered several babies I'd imagine your chances greatly improve!

Yes, but we were in Germany. I had very good midwives who helped him turn during labor. Yes, I had back labor. I spent all of my labor on my hands and knees until the midwives started flipping me every which way during pushing to get him to turn. As soon as he turned he was crowning.

And no meds whatsoever for me (and he was a VBAC). I got to the hospital at 9 PM and he was born at 11:30 PM.

DS was posterior. He turned before he was born, but not before is due date. I went 5 days over and I remember doing excercises to turn him but not what they were. He was breech pretty late, so posterior was an upgrade. I had back labor for early false labor, but it went away when he turned.

spinningbabies.com

My 2nd, 3rd, and 4th were all posterior during pregnancy. They were also all overdue.

The 2nd turned while I was pushing. Ouch. I think it would have been better if the nurse hadn't told me to wait to push until the doctor came in. (Hello, don't push? I'm not doing this! My body is doing it on its own!) She was an induction at 10 days. Pain meds, no epidural.

The 3rd turned and put me into gradual labor at 10 days just before I was scheduled for an induction. This was a much better experience than the previous labor. Also pain meds, no epidural. If I was at home I think it would have been fine. The midwife didn't want to check the dilation, and he was actually born "too soon" after the meds were administered.

The 4th didn't turn until mid-labor. He was an induction at hmmm...8 days over? This hospital was WAY better than my previous induction and let me use a ball and stuff to move around during contractions instead of being tied down on one side. This was actual my very best labor of them all. No issues, and no pain meds at all. The teaching students had a look of shock and told me I didn't even make any noise pushing him out. (Definitely the largest number of spectators at this birth, lol!)

Since you'll be home, take advantage of being able to do all the different movements during labor. I'd also do lots of movements beforehand to see if you can get turning and engagement on your own.

My DS was posterior during labor, though he hadn't been at my prenatal visits. My midwife advised me to get into stinkbug position (bum in the air, arms on the ground--so upper body lower than if on hands and knees) as long as I could stand it, and then I went to hands and knees. I think I was in stinkbug for about 20 minutes and hands and knees for 20 more. He turned and I didn't have back labor. My water had not broken (he was almost born in the caul) so it made turning easier for him.

Chuck was posterior right up until she was born. Before labor, during labor, we were trying all things to get her to turn. It was a homebirth and eventually water birth. I delayed getting in the water in the hopes that she would turn, then I could get in. Eventually, I got so tired I just needed to get in. Then at some point labor seemed to stop for awhile. I was really wanting an epidural but the thought of getting out, dried off, dressed, out to the car, to the hospital, checked in, hooked up, was just too much. I had enough and said, "I don't care if you're sunny side up, you're coming out now" and pushed her out. The midwife's assistant is the one who checked and said she had turned (felt the back of the skull not a squishy face) but I'm not sure.

Posterior here too. 21 hours labor - an epidural after 14. Pitocin. Awful back labor until I had the epidural, then relief.

The good news? The OB and nurses twisted me in a position that turned DD during labor. It involved twisting my torso, crossing one leg over the other, and lifting my arms up. I don't know why it worked, all I know is that it worked and I was so glad. She was born face down.

It was all completely worth it in the end.

All three of mine switched to posterior just before going into labor. First was a c-section, 2nd was vbac after 2 hours of pushing. 3rd was forceps delivery after 2 hours of pushing getting nowhere. All three were horrifically painful. I only managed to be drug free for the 2nd and will never do that again.

My third child was found to be kneeling breech at 35 weeks by ultrasound (we couldn't determine his position manually due to anterior placenta). I freaked, I was planning another homebirth and a presentation like that meant a c/s. I tried every position known to man to get him to flip and he wouldn't budge. At 36 weeks I had a chiropractor give me an adjustment and and she did the Webster technique. Right away I felt my baby moving more than usual, it sounds funny, but he seemed happy and like he had more room. He flipped all the way around to head down just 3 hours later and stayed put until 41 weeks when he was born big and healthy in a natural birth.

Both my sister's babies were posterior and turned in labour, both were homebirths with midwives.

One of mine was posterior at check up on my due date (and I was already 4-5 cm). I went swimming that afternoon. I felt a significant change during dinner (she turned? she engaged? I don't know) and then regular contractions. She was born 15 min. after we got to the hospital.

So, my recommendation is go swimming. :thumbup:

I have 2 stories on this. First son was face-up. 22 hours of labor and 2 pushing, close to a c-section but when he went into distress they literally pulled him out. After that there was no wall AT ALL between my..well the wall was completely gone. The next 3 were face down. Number 5 was face-up. Tear was not nearly as bad and the labor was short. * Note I have 2nd degree tears on all births. However I still have a recto-vaginal fistula(super small) that I am not addressing because I just don't feel like it.

My first and my fourth both were born posterior. I ended up with pitocin with both of them and an epidural with #1 and vacuum assisted delivery. They were 8 lb 11 oz and 9 lb 3 oz. I didn't know either was facing the wrong way so I never tried to get them to adjust position.

My third baby was delivered face up. Long labor, difficult, i think they assisted with forceps. Mid wife had to call a doctor in, when her attempts to turn her didnt work. I remember my mid wife putting me into crazy positions to try to turn my baby, but no luck. Other than needing stitches, no complications, healthy baby. I may have helped that she was three weeks early, but she was still 7lb 6oz.

Trust that your care providers know what they're doing. It's not that uncommon.

My third was posterior until my last midwife appointment. Less than a week later I gave birth in my bathtub after 30 minutes of labor. Dh delivered him because the midwife hadn't made it. He doesn't remember which way the baby was facing! :laugh: But it was certainly a quick and easy labor and I assumed he turned that last week.

If you are planning a hb my advice is to get to the best, most knowledgable chiropractor within a 50 mile radius. My first two where c-sections with malpresentation. I muscled my way through number 3 naturally with similar presentation (12 hours of labor). A friend if mine absolutely insisted that I go to a chiropractor with number 4 and it was amazing!! I did not even know I was in labor until transition and within 35 minutes I was nursing my sweet baby girl. I could talk all day about the experience, but I'll spare you.

I did not have posterior baby. I was afraid of having a posterior baby, though. I knew he would probably be big (he was) and felt that his position, if not perfect, would be the main impediment to a VBAC. I read up on spinningbabies and also a blog called Natural Birth in Kitsap, which has pictures of exercises and positions.

The rule I read somewhere, and which I faithfully observed, was that if there was a laser shooting out of your bellybutton, it would hit the floor in whatever position you're in. So if you're sitting, you're sitting forward. If you're laying down, your torso is rotated toward the ground, even if it's just slightly. You don't plop on the couch with the tablet on your stomach, you sit up straight and hold it forward. I sat on an exercise ball. I propped pillows behind myself while sleeping so that I could be positioned just so.

I didn't do a whole lot of the exercises, but I did practice good posture. In the end, that was enough for me.

Good luck!

My first baby was posterior toward the end of my pregnancy. They tried hard to get her to turn during labor, but she never did and was born sunny-side up. Labor was really not too bad; I actually dozed through a lot of it (11 hours). I had a lot of back pressure, and an early urge to push, but not a lot of actual back pain. (I have friends who said the back pain of a posterior baby was awful, though.) Pushing took 1.5 hours, but IDK if that was because she was posterior, or because she was my first. (My others have been MUCH faster in pushing -- 20 minutes, 5 minutes, and 1 minute. None of them were posterior, though one had slightly sticky shoulders, and another had the cord around his neck.) For what it's worth, I didn't tear with DD, nor with any of the others, and they've all been pretty big (two were over 9 pounds, and one was close to 9), with big heads.

Honestly, that labor was easier than my second. I was so determined to avoid another posterior baby that I spent a lot of time leaning forward, encouraging #2 to stay anterior. Well, he did, but also ended up really far forward on my pubic bone, and it was pretty painful, trying to get him back and under it. After that, I gave up and decided I'd sit however I wanted, and if the baby was posterior, so be it. Don't worry too much -- it might be just fine!

My little guy was posterior. I pushed for about five hours at home before transferring to the hospital and maybe about two more hours at the hospital before I accepted it was time for a cesarean. I don't think he was perfectly posterior. Both my midwife and the OB that first cheked me thought he was a bit asynclitic, so his head was tilted to the side a little. I also had very painful brusitis in my knee (went away as soon as kiddo was born) which made it nearly impossible for me to spend much time on my hands and knees. He tried to turn when I first started pushing, but he didn't make it. My guess is that is when he tilted his head. I went to a chiropractor at 40.5 weeks, but it didn't help him turn. I'm short, and I don't think he had much room left. If I had to do it again, I would have gone to the chiropractor earlier

I won't lie about the pain. It hurt. A lot. It wasn't enough to make me want to give up on my homebirth and go to the hospital, but if I had been there already, it would have been hard to resist an epidural.

My sister and I were both posterior when we were born. We never turned. My mom went natural with a midwife. I know that she did push for a good while.

I had a few of things going against me with my LO (first baby, brusitis, tilted head...). If one or two of those things had been different, my guess is that I could have avoided the cesarean.

I would do the spinning baby exercises, go to the chiropractor, and try not to worry. Hugs.

My first two were both posterior. My oldest was born that way ... only 8 hr. labor 30 min of pushing. I am tiny (was under 100 lb .pre and post pregnancy. Back labor wasn't fun but hey were more concerned withthe placental abruption (partial.-- location made doctor believe vag. delivery safer) -- everything went well ... other than mentioning that's why the back labor was so bad and that he wanted to see what was going on.

My second was posterior through labor (8 hrs. again) and then flipped and made her way out without me even pushing (almost a nurse delivery).

My second was,but as my first was breech, I found this a vast improvement, lol. First was also very large, and second was 5 weeks early, so the 3 pound plus weight difference helped a lot. I did have lots of back pain, but actual delivery was a breeze- I am sure that was due to size though. His weird little scrunched, red, hairy face came poking out and that was the first anyone knew about it, that he was posterior.

So I guess my advice is have a very small baby, and it won't matter. Not real helpful, am I?

I finally popped onto the new boards just to answer this, lol. The Love changed position CONSTANTLY during pregnancy, and settled into posterior (again) during early labor. (I had done the spinningbabies stuff to turn him anterior, but he kept turning posterior again within a few hours.) Once I relaxed about it and decided he could come out however he wanted, we were fine. He was born at home, posterior with what we think was a nuchal hand, on knees in the water, no tearing, and he FLEW out. The midwife missed it sort of flew, lol. Labor was never consistant--strong but 15-60 min apart all day, and then once my water broke he was out in under 8 minutes. It was intense when I had them, but completely manageable. I use HypnoBabies and so it was just lots of pressure. (I love HypnoBabies for that. It really helps you relax your muscles, which lets the baby come out much more easily, at least in my experience.)

I have to second (or third or fourth) the recommendation for spinningbabies.com. Also, get thee to a chiropractor experienced with pregnant women (and the Webster technique.) Getting everything lined up properly can help a posterior baby turn. But, even if the baby is posterior during labor, there might be a reason for that, especially if this is not your first baby. Having good labor support can help you deal with a posterior labor.

my kids were. first did not turn. In fact he turned posterior during labor which led to the most awful pain in my life. I was shocked at that pain. I had done so well in labor until then. It completely threw me off mentally. I did have a 4th degree tear but survived. Second kid did same thing in labor but Dr was there and aware of previous kid doing it and was able to turn her back. THAT was painful as well but not as bad as that back labor.....

i personally wouldn't do a home labor with my history of kids turning posterior. My first basically had one more try to get out or they would have done a c section. That was a long hard labor and scary when it seemed all that work wasn't going to get him out. If the midwife could turn the child it would be different. But that was a horrible experience and I can't imagine doing it at home.

My 2nd was posterior. Back labor was painful, but found that a rice sock held to my lower back during contractions helped a lot. Assuming a hands and knees position helped too and she turned within three or four contractions after this....once she turned, things went very quickly! Hope this helps!

I have had 4 of them. :blink: My first took 4 hours of pushing in all kinds of positions and then he finally turned. My Dr. attempted to turn him manually during labor, but it didn't work. My second was posterior a week before I was induced but luckily she must have turned. She was my largest and had shoulder dystocia. My third I had to do hands and knees ect. for an hour or so before she turned. She did not completely rotate though and came out a bit crooked. Poor thing had very bruised cheeks. Of course it was no shocked that when I started pushing with my 4th my CNM discovered that he was also posterior. He was the fastest to turn. I think it took like 20-30minutes and then I was able to push him out fairly quickly.

My first one was posterior. It ended in a c-section. HOWEVER that was over 35 years ago. During a visit with my Dr. for #3, she said she had reviewed my chart and there were things that could be done that weren't. IOW, I probably did not need that C -Section and I definately did not need the 2nd.

#3 and #4 were both V Bac with no complications.

My first was posterior. We are both alive. :D I won't lie, it was not fun. They told me he eventually turned, but it did me no good because he turned as they were applying the forceps. The back labor is real. Had I known how long it would last and what it would feel like, I would have gotten an epidural before it was too late. It took a long time to get the baby out. Still, I didn't get an epidural for my other deliveries so I must not have been too traumatized. Even with forceps, my recovery was not worse than my other kids. If I was having another baby and knew he or she was posterior, I would not be too upset. I think I'd think a little more about finally getting an epidural, but I'm not sure if I'd really decide to take it. At least you know and your midwife can help you into positions to move the baby right away. I think the only reason I didn't have a c-section was because my OB was an old country doc who delivers for the Amish routinely. He's used to no epidurals, waiting it out, and is happy to deliver breach. I think it would have been easier if it wasn't my first.

My third was posterior. I think he may have been in that position for 3-4 weeks and I think it may have dampened the labor I was having. He was 2 weeks late (the others were 1-3 weeks early) and I had many, many times when I had full blown labor (once I had to leave The Two Towers because my contractions had gone from 10 minutes apart to 2 minutes apart and it was scaring my neighbors in the theater) that didn't go anywhere.

He was so solidly at the cervix that they had to push his head back to break my water. He was blocking the exit. (He also got a small scratch from the device.)

Yes, the back labor was stiff. It was more painful than general non-medicated labor. My OB did not feel that he was facing the wrong way before the labor progressed, so it came out while I was pushing. I had to hold back several times so the doctor could get his hand in there and turn him on his side while he came out. That hurt.

He was a slightly longer labor than his brothers, but it goes really fast for me (so 3 hours vs. 45-90 minutes). He did need oxygen when he came out. Everything was fine though. It was just a bit more uncomfortable than usual.

Thank you for all of your stories, advice, and encouragement. My midwife has assured me that she's not worried. She has pointed me to spinningbabies.com (I think I've printed out everything on and referred to by the site). I've got six weeks of (trying not to) worry to get through. Of course, if my midwife isn't worried, I guess I shouldn't be either. Thank you again for the support - I need it! :001_smile:

• 3 weeks later...

It is fairly common. My 3rd would not be rotated, but finally flipped during the last minutes of labor. She broke a collarbone, and labor was more uncomfortable than my other 2, but I didn't need an epidural.