Menu

I have some confessions to make

Guest inoubliable

Guest inoubliable

I detest Nutella. Keurigs make me twitch.

I don't understand what's so fantastic about The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Dr. Who, or Downton Abbey.

I don't have a Twitter. I don't have a Pinterest account. I've never felt the need to go to Ebay for anything. I don't own an Apple anything.

I've never been to Disney-anywhere and have no interest in doing so.

I can still hang out here, though, right? :(

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope so! Although I sure do like Nutella, I gave up on Keurig when mine died, my life is so much simpler now!

Big Bang Theory is by the same guy who brought us Two and a Half Men. I know it's geared toward geeks, but it's still just a sitcom. HIMYM was good at one point (IMO) and I still watch it, but it's not must-see TV anymore. Never got into Dr. Who or Downton Abby.

I'm with you on almost the rest! I just don't like eBay. I don't like being bullied into rating every transaction.

Guest submarines

I don't understand what's so fantastic about The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Dr. Who, or Downton Abbey.

I don't have a Twitter. I don't have a Pinterest account. I've never felt the need to go to Ebay for anything. I don't own an Apple anything.

I'm with you on everything except I make my own dark chocolate nutella about once a year, and I do shop on ebay, but I'm in Canada so our shopping options are limited.

I don't like Keurigs either. I don't feel as strongly as Bill though - LOL. I am a coffee snob. To each their own. Nutella is ok. I've been to Disney because we have family there including a "cast member" who has gotten us in for greatly reduced rates. Meh - feel like cattle in Disney. Not my thing. I used to be vegetarian, but I was constantly anemic and have some food sensitivities when it comes to legumes, so I really had to give it up.

I don't watch ANY network TV, but I LOVE Downton Abbey. And yes, I do watch it on my iPad. It's a guilty pleasure. If I try to watch network TV now I tend to think the acting is marginal at best and the ads are beyond obnoxious. Never bought anything on e-bay, but DH does regularly.

I set up a twitter account so I could watch presidential debates online and have only used it for that kind of thing so far. I have a pinterest account and that was very useful for book marking stuff when we were remodeling 2 bathrooms this fall (still finishing up).

Oh, and I'm generally liberal too and live in a very liberal area.

Anyway - this is a diverse group, which is part of what I love about it. Learn something every day. Hooray!

You are my long-lost soul mate! :laugh: I'm not vegan, but am a lifelong vegetarian (with several long-term vegan periods thrown in). I know veganism wasn't part of your confession, but I mention it because I think it is further proof.

I do own an iPhone, but other than that, I could have written your entire post. Especially the Keurig and Disney thing. *shudders* My parents actually did take me to Disney when I was eight; by the time the day was halfway over, I had told them never to bring me again. And I meant it. If my son wants to go, he's gonna have to go with someone else.

I went to Disney when I was 10. Those are 4 days I'll never get back.

I may feel more strongly about Keurig coffee than even Bill, if that's possible.

I have a Facebook account I never use, and have no interest in any other social media, including Pintrest. (I do have a Ravelry account but they are the single best source of knitting patterns for just about anything, so...)

eta: I own an iPhone. I own it because my Blackberry Storm (original) died and everything else was so freaking big, it wouldn't fit in my wristlet. That is why I bought an iPhone. (But I do actually like it quite a bit, nearly 2 years later)

I'm sure the list of my "issues" and "shortcomings" could go on all day. I think we can all find plenty of common ground here, though. ;)

I hope so, because my list isn't that different from yours. I do like "Dr. Who" and Nutella. I have an iPod (very old) but rarely use it.

Ditto everything but Apple. I married a FanBoy, so he converted me.

Oh, and we've done Disney despite my lifelong aversion to all things Disney - because I heard from other Allergy Moms that it is a great vacation spot for kids with LTFA. And, yep, it is.

Keurigs make me shudder. I am a coffee snob though. When we *must* do Starbucks, the baristas ask DH or me many questions.

Disney is my worst nightmare on steroids. Too much - stuff to see - too many people - too much money. Ugh - no.

I hate Nutella. I like my Cafe Vienna so no Keurigs here. I only like very old school Dr Who and in very small doses.

I HATE 'The Handmaid's Tale' with the passion of a thousand suns. My mother tricked me into reading it. But I'm not really that into sci-fi. I also hated 1984 and The Giver.

I tried to watch Downtown Abbey and hated it.

I do love TBBT though I cringe when it ventures into the Two & 1/2 Men territory. I absolutely hate that show. I adore Apple products and if I ever win the lotto I'll have nothing but.

I think Channing Tatum is ugly and I don't get the appeal of Ryan Gosling either.

I really have a lot in common with Tard the grumpy cat now that I think about it. Or maybe it's Monday and I'm coming off a crappy weekend. I don't know.

I detest Nutella. Me too, blech

Keurigs make me twitch. Making one cup of coffee at at time at my house would be suicide, I need my own POT!

I did like Big Bang but got annoyed when it got very un-family friendly. I hate period dramas, don't like most sitcoms or things on actual tv channels either.

(Although, whole household of Whovians here, goes back to my childhood)

I have Twitter because my sister wanted me to, I don't "get it". I despise Apple products and think Itunes is from the devil.

I have bought off ebay, a dulcimer and some book lots years ago. Pinterest, I can take or leave, don't go there much.

I went to Disney three years ago for the first time, turns out, I don't like theme parks at all. My kids have no interest in going back either, unless we can go to the Harry Potter place only.

Can we still hang even though I like Dr. Who? :D

I hope so. I'm with you on most of these. I do enjoy Downton Abbey (but don't rank it among the best Masterpiece productions). My Dc keep asking me why everyone wants to go to Disney. They don't get it either. I try to explain (I think they'd enjoy parts of it), but they look at me like I'm crazy and tell me they want to go hiking and horseback riding. We aren't a big amusement park family.

No twitter or Pinterest here. Have a facebook account I keep saying I'll delete and rarely even look at.

For a long time I didn't own anything Apple, but recently we took the plunge.

Ebay-- I've been fortunate enough to find some good deals on curriculum there, but it is time consuming.

I detest Nutella. . Keurigs make me twitch.

I'm not a fan of Nutella, either. Keurigs seem way overpriced to me - and I'm not a coffee drinker.

The only one of those shows I've seen is How I Met Your Mother. It's nothing special, but I watch when I have nothing better to do.

I have Twitter, but have no idea how to use it - so never go. I have Pinterest, and like it but only go about once a month or so. I've ordered off eBay in the past, but only go there when my parents want me to find some obscure thing they remember from childhood that is no longer available.

Apple... :ohmy: Blasphemy!! :laugh: J/K. I LOVE my Mac. I only like the iDevices, but I own a couple.

Disney is fun...in the middle of the week, in off season. ;)

I don't like things that waste my time or money, so most of OP's items are on my list as well. ;)

I think the last time I saw prime time TV was when I was in high school. The commercials I've had the misfortune to view convince me that I'm not missing anything. :)

Don't drink coffee and am not tempted by gadgets of any kind in the kitchen.

eBay has been useful for me both buying (children's clothes) and selling.

The Nutella we bought from Costco was eventually thrown away as it expired.

Disneyland/world is something my dc can spend their own time and money on when they are adults.

I also have no idea who Ryan Gosling is.

Men in skirts make me cringe.

I pretty much lurk.

Apple preferences here include Braeburn and Gala.

Regards,

Kareni

What are you talking about? There is only one kind of apple---MacIntosh (not the computer type).

I really used to think the word apple meant MacIntosh b/c that's what was grown where I grew up and those were the only apples I'd been given to eat. I think I was 12 before I understood that there were different varieties! Thought I'd post since we're talking true confessions.

That's all me except I do like the Big Bang Theory.

I'll hang out with you.

Guest inoubliable

Oh good. I was having a really crappy morning. Someone that I thought was becoming a really good friend sent me an email in the wee hours of the morning. Basically saying that I was a complete weirdo for not "appreciating pop culture". I am "impossible to talk to" because I don't have a favorite Starbucks coffee, or know the latest episode of any of those shows, or have a Pinterest board with nothing but Nutella recipes. I am apparently doing a huge disservice to my kids by homeschooling them in the first place, but with things like cancelling cable, not owning any Apple products, or owning and teaching them how to use a Keurig machine I am essentially guaranteeing them to be the weirdos in any circle they try to join later in life. Because "normal kids" know about these things. It was a bizarre email that came out of nowhere and kinda made me go :confused1: and :crying: at the same time. So... we're no longer friends, I guess. Oh, and I should be tweeting about my day so that people will *know* that I'm homeschooling and not just sitting around. *sigh* It made my whole day crap. I should have checked in here after I posted this. I feel so much better reading the replies.

Honestly, it sounds like maybe she's just trying to justify her own lifestyle choices. I think insecure people really need to seek out other people that think and do things EXACTLY like them to be comfortable.

We haven't had cable for years, starbucks is mediocre, and my geeky kids are homeschooled too. :D I do have a few friends that seem a bit overly defensive about some of our choices and I've distanced myself appropriately. Apple products? Seriously? ROFL. Sorry you had to wake up on a Monday morning to that kind of nonsense! Sounds like jr. high behavoir to me.

Well, I've never had Nutella (although my oldest swears its heavenly).

I don't ever drink coffee so I see no need for a Keurig.

I do LOVE The Big Bang Theory.

I watch HIMYM but I'm not real upset that it's ending.

Never saw Dr. Who or Downton Abbey even though I watch plenty of tv and love science fiction.

I have a Twitter only to join contests and I never use it otherwise.

I like Pinterest (a bit too much).

I don't do Ebay and only have a 5 year old Itouch from Apple.

We only go to Disney because my brother works there and we get in free.

I have friends that agree and friends that disagree on every one of these things. I don't understand why anyone would end a friendship over it. :-(

Guest inoubliable
Honestly, it sounds like maybe she's just trying to justify her own lifestyle choices. I think insecure people really need to seek out other people that think and do things EXACTLY like them to be comfortable.

Yes, I think this is exactly what's going on. Strange, though. I'm not obnoxious in my choices not to own Apple products. I'm not shouting from the rooftops that I don't enjoy Nutella. I mean, if you ask me why I don't go to Starbucks I'll tell you it's because I don't want to pay all that money for something with that many calories. I wouldn't say it in a snotty way, though. I don't know why but I felt like she was defending her choices.

Never saw Dr. Who or Downton Abbey even though I watch plenty of tv and love science fiction.

I don't understand why anyone would end a friendship over it. :-(

I just couldn't get into them, even though I do generally like period pieces and sci-fi. I certainly don't hold it against someone who DOES watch them, though. Yet that was the tone of her email. I kinda think maybe something else is going on, but I'm too weirded out now to care or want to find out. It's as if someone picked a fight with someone over the color of ink their pen. Too weird.

Oh good. I was having a really crappy morning. Someone that I thought was becoming a really good friend sent me an email in the wee hours of the morning. Basically saying that I was a complete weirdo for not "appreciating pop culture". I am "impossible to talk to" because I don't have a favorite Starbucks coffee, or know the latest episode of any of those shows, or have a Pinterest board with nothing but Nutella recipes. I am apparently doing a huge disservice to my kids by homeschooling them in the first place, but with things like cancelling cable, not owning any Apple products, or owning and teaching them how to use a Keurig machine I am essentially guaranteeing them to be the weirdos in any circle they try to join later in life. Because "normal kids" know about these things. It was a bizarre email that came out of nowhere and kinda made me go :confused1: and :crying: at the same time. So... we're no longer friends, I guess. Oh, and I should be tweeting about my day so that people will *know* that I'm homeschooling and not just sitting around. *sigh* It made my whole day crap. I should have checked in here after I posted this. I feel so much better reading the replies.

Good grief! I can't help but wonder if she was drunk or something? Perhaps she was trying to be funny?

Who wants to have normal kids anyway? :) :)

Well, phooey, I'm big on cultural literacy, and I'm not sure what Keurig is, although I'm pretty sure it has to do with coffee. I've never made coffee in my life using ANY machine, nor have my kids. If they aspire to work at Starbucks they've got a rough road ahead of them. I guess they'll have to choose a different career.

Guest inoubliable

If they aspire to work at Starbucks they've got a rough road ahead of them. I guess they'll have to choose a different career.

I seriously LOL'd at that. Thank you.

I don't even know what a Keurig is. :blushing:

I love Nutella, Doctor Who, and Downton Abbey. I do have Twitter and Pinterest and love Apple products (I am typing this on my iMac).

I watched three episodes of Big Bang Theory and laughed only once or twice. Maybe the first few episodes stunk and it got better later in the series, but I don't care enough to find out,

I don't have enough experience with Keurig to have an opinion, but I am a coffee addict. I've never been to Disney anywhere but would like to go sometime.

Guest inoubliable

I don't even know what a Keurig is. :blushing:

You're not missing much. LOL. And that's all I'm going to say so that I don't sound like a horrible, awful, snobby, anti-consumer freak.

DH and I drink coffee all. day. long. And into the night. He just made another pot, actually. He likes his with a splash of soy milk and I take mine black. I think those are the biggest reasons why we don't get into Starbucks and having a Keurig. We couldn't afford to drink that much coffee with either, and we're not into the fancy flavors.

PUHLEASE. Of course you can, silly. ;)

I've never even *had* Nutella and I don't drink coffee, so Keurig-Schmeurig. I don't care for fancy shoes. I dislike chick flicks. I've had exactly one pedicure in my life, and I wasn't a fan. I wear jeans -- not fancy ones, mind you, b/c brand name clothes do nothing for me. I don't like wine; give me a Michelob Ultra any day!

Having said that, I love Pinterest, Ebay, HIMYM and BBT. I'm learning to like Twitter. ;)

Lisa

I love Nutella, I think Keurigs are overrated. I don't watch any of those shows, I prefer Once Upon a Time, Nashville and Last Resort :)

Twitter bores me but I do love Pinterest. Meh on eBay and I despise Apple. I also think the Channing Tatum is no big deal.

I have been to Disney World and Disneyland (Disney World is much better :p)

I think that makes us even hehe.

I don't know how to use the Wii in our house.

I cannot read James Joyce. I just can't. I don't get him and I think his books are a waste of trees.

I have never visited Pinterest.

I really like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. More than I like Homer.

There are some people on the home school circuit I would like to drop kick. :w00t:

SWB

I cannot read James Joyce. I just can't. I don't get him and I think his books are a waste of trees.

There are some people on the home school circuit I would like to drop kick. :w00t:

SWB

Glad to know I'm not alone!

Gerard Butler makes my ovaries shrink, though he only rates a four on the JM-SOS, the John Mayer Scale of Ovary Shrinkage (with Mayer himself coming in at eleven). Ryan Gosling is a two.

I like Lady Gaga.

I don't like Disney, cupcakes, non-ironic euphemisms, kilts (except on Ewan McGregor, ironic or not), or Mike's; and I'd rather eat paste mixed with Vegemite on a rice cake than Nutella.

ETA: Love Buffy though. :D And I don't know what a Keurig (sp?) is... other than it has something to do with coffee.

Guest inoubliable

I'd rather eat paste mixed with Vegemite on a rice cake than Nutella.

I've never seen my intense dislike for Nutella described so perfectly.

I don't understand the Ryan Gosling thing. But then, I have a thing for Jeff Goldblum.

Um, wow. Good riddance to her, I say. Who needs enemies if you have "friends" like that?

:grouphug:

FWIW, I have no idea who any of the famous people mentioned in this thread are. In kilts, or out. And I don't get the big deal on kilts, either - although I did see a real life dude in one at the airport when I was waiting to pick up my sister before Christmas and I thought of the Hive. There was no point in snapping a photo, though - because I also don't know how to post photos on here!

ETA: As mentioned before, I'm not a fan of Nutella (it's too sweet for me). However, if the choice is between Vegemite and Nutella - I'll eat the Nutella straight off the spoon and finish the whole jar!! Vegemite... :ack2: