Menu

How many vacuums do you need to buy before you find one that doesn't break within 6 months?

QuirkyKapers

I went through quite a few. I had a dyson animal and after a year it just died. I need a vacuum with a bag since I noticed that bagless ones didn't do me any favors with my asthma and allergies. I almost got a Miele but had a hard time finding a seller here, back when I wanted one. Now I see they sell them at lots of places. I ended up trying an Oreck and although it's nice, I ended up moving it to be an upstairs vac for the kids to use because I can't vacuum my frieze area rug in the living room with it. I now have a Kenmore canister that I love. I've had it for a couple years now. It gets quite the work out because we have 2 dogs and a cat.

I had a kenmore cannister for 10 years. It was great while it lasted. It died this summer and the replacement part was a couple hundred bucks, so I just got a meile. So far so good. I didn't even buy the power head (yet) and it's doing a fabulous job on all of the dog hair and dust.

I don't believe in bagless :-)

We went through several Dysons. Ugh.

About four years ago, after going through countless vacs, we did a ton of research and settled on a Kenmore canister that Consumer Reports rated excellent. It was in the $400 - $450 range. It's still going strong. No problems, and it just keeps going. I love that it will go almost totally flat to get under furniture, too. :)

We use bags, too - having learned the hard way that allergies and asthma don't work well with bagless. So if you're looking for bagless, I have no idea.

Good luck on the vacuum hunt!

I had a kenmore cannister for 10 years. It was great while it lasted. It died this summer and the replacement part was a couple hundred bucks, so I just got a meile. So far so good. I didn't even buy the power head (yet) and it's doing a fabulous job on all of the dog hair and dust.

I don't believe in bagless :-)

We tried a bagless...once. Hated that vacuum. We got a Panasonic off Amazon and have been very happy with it. It's just like my old Kenmore, which I loved.

We had our Kirby from 1997 until last month. I agree with a previous poster—very heavy and bulky to carry, and a pain to swap from hose to beater bar. Bits of it started falling apart last year (so got a good 15 years or so out of it). We traded it in at the local vacuum repair shop and asked what he had used that he would recommend, based on what we use it for. We now have a used Electrolux canister and are loving it. If we didn't have babies in the house though, we seriously discussed putting in a central vac system.

Erica in OR

We had one Kenmore canister vac after another, because DH was hooked on Kenmore for some reason. I finally bought a Dyson (purple animal) at least 8 years ago, and it still runs like new. I did have to replace the hose a few months ago, but the part was cheap and the repair took about 2 minutes.

The first vac I bought was an Electrolux upright...in 1982. I finally replaced it in 2004 because it needed a minor part which we couldn't find because it was just old. We replaced it with another Electrolux upright, and it's still going strong.

We bought an Electrolux cannister for downstairs, which is all hardwood with a few throw rugs. I have replaced the wand on it, and the cord doesn't rewind, but otherwise it still works like a champ, going on nine years now.

huh, my dyson lasted like 6 or 8 years? i broke 2 attachments, but finally dropped the body part while emptying it and . . it didnt latch. i had to hold it shut while emptying and it started leaking. i got another dyson, tho, as i'd been happy with it. i dont vacuum more than once a week max tho

Gotta put in my plug for Simplicity! I now have two. One is around 14 yo and still works like it was brand new. The other is only two years old; it is doing great also. I don't think I will ever buy another brand again. Btw, both have bags. We are another family that knows that bagless and allergies do not work well together...that includes Rainbow (the worst on allergies according to every allergist I've spoken to).

An Electrolux Canister will last you forever. My mom had one for 30 years before she replaced it. I'm not sure how old my grandmother's was. We had one for 10 years before one of the kids vacuumed up water and it broke. :/ I wish I had money for another one because we've gone through at least 5 in just a few years, one being a Dyson.

Answer: 97

OK, just kidding, sort of. As I live in a 10,000 sq ft B&B, we go through a lot a vacuums. A lot. I've had a couple dysons, hoovers, kirbys.... sometimes I just get cheap ones from Walmart, so I don't feel bad when they die. And they all die.

I purchased my electrolux 20 years ago when I got married. My mother replaced her 35 year old electrolux when I bougt mine. I replaced the hose once. If I had to replace it I would get an Oreck or a Miele. I am just not sure electrolux is what it used to be.

Try Miele, they're sometimes a bit pricey, but are built to last.
I've heard great things about Miele.

I'm saving up for this Miele. I'm tired of vacuum cleaners that either don't last or quickly lose suction power.

I have a Kirby that I have a love/hate relationship with. If it wasn't so dang heavy and bulky to carry upstairs and downstairs I would love it. I've had the Kirby since '04. Wow! I can't believe it's almost ten years old. Before that, we were going through a vacuum a year.

My mother had a Kirby while I was growing up and I hated it. Because she was a single working mother and I was the oldest, I did a lot of the housework. I fought with that monster regularly. Yes it worked and lasted for years, but I would not own one because of my, um, Kirby trauma from childhood.

Why I love my dyson: 5 year warranty. That alone buys me 5 years of vacuuming. I have had my animal for 2 years with no problems. That screeching sound is likely a belt. They will send you a new one free.

Interesting, I had mine for 4 years and it started that noise. I called CS and had no less than 3 separate people (two claiming to be management) that the belts weren't meant to be changed and "You know vacuums don't last forever"

I swore that day I wouldn't own a Dyson anything ever again. I guess they've decided to rethink that approach.

We just bought a vacuum- a brand sold at our local dealer called Royal. We told them we wanted something basic that would last 10 years. We have only one room & some stairs with carpet, the rest is wood.

We looked at those Kenmore top rated ones at Sears and they were total junk! I had almost ordered one on Amazon for close to $500 and I'm so glad my husband insisted we look at them in person first. I wonder if they've downgraded since the rating or something. All the hinges were plastic and at the store we went to every single floor model was already broken! I don't think it was a vandalism thing, the hinges were just really cheaply done. Plus I really don't dig Sears.

When we have a real house and a pile of cash to spend, I think I'll go with Miele.

ETA: The volume (I mean loudness) of the thing was important to me, and this one we bought is great- nice & quiet. Much less noise than my MIL's Kenmores.

We just bought a Rainbow. As in, today at about 5:00 p.m. Less for the vacuum aspect, and more for the fact that you leave it running 24/7 and it is also an air cleaner/humidifier and when you want to vacuum you plug the hose into your "humidifier" and away you go - and because I can use it to vacuum up wet messes - and with kids and pets, I have my fair share of wet messes. It also has an 8 year warranty on it.

My Mom still has her Rainbow, and that thing must be about 25 years old or so, now.

I do have a Dyson Animal upright. It's been going strong since Valentine's Day 2009.

I love my Sebo! I looked at Miele, but the upright twists and it feels strange. We took the carpet from the car into the store, vacuumed it with the Miele, and it didn't snap, crackle, pop as much as I thought it should. Then I tried the Miele canister, and with carpet, you have to buy the most expensive one. It was pricey and the vacuum bag was small. I went to another store, put the same carpet down (literally right after trying out the Miele), used the Sebo upright, and it picked up WAY more. And the upright had as much or more power with tools than the Miele canister, and wasn't as expensive.

I bought a used G4 Kirby off of Ebay for $100 dollars 6 years ago. It runs like a champ. It is heavy, but we have a single story home. If I had a two story house I would by another one for upstairs. That is how much I love my Kirby.

My parents had one when I was growing up and it lasted for 20 years before it died.

I purchased my electrolux 20 years ago when I got married. My mother replaced her 35 year old electrolux when I bougt mine. I replaced the hose once. If I had to replace it I would get an Oreck or a Miele. I am just not sure electrolux is what it used to be.

Maybe not, but both of mine (upright for the carpet upstairs, cannister for the hardwood downstairs) are over eight years old now, which beats the six-month mark that the OP asked about. :D

My Kirby is going strong after 23 years. It has been serviced once (new cord).

We had a Dyson briefly-- it lasted one year and one week. They changed the design by the time ours broke--and told us we would just have to purchase the 'new and improved' model. I will NEVER have a Dyson again.

Yes, the Kirby is heavy-- but we live in a 1-story so it is not even an issue.

I grew up changing the belts and putting on shampoo attachment and hoses so I don't consider that a hassel... I remember my parents purchasing a Kirby when I was 5.... it lasted 30 years (then they gave it away-- it was STILL working great!).

I grew up changing the belts and putting on shampoo attachment and hoses so I don't consider that a hassel... I remember my parents purchasing a Kirby when I was 5.... it lasted 30 years (then they gave it away-- it was STILL working great!).

Funny, that's exactly why I hate it. I grew up using it. I hated putting on that carpet attachment, then turning the wheel to take it off and put on the hose attachment. Hated emptying the bag. Still, I don't deny how good they are. My mother got hers as a wedding gift, and it lasted around 30 years. The only reason she got rid of it was because she could no longer handle it and needed something lighter.

I'm actually surprised more people aren't piping in with recommendations for a cheapie Shark. i love that darn thing. I also have a Dyson telescope. I can't say it was worth it.

Nobody mentioning the Roomba? I love that darn thing, too.

We have had 2 in 12 years. Our first, a Hoover bag vaccum, died after 2 years. The second is a Hoover ballets that I picked up at Walmart for $40. It is going strong, even vacuumed a nail and some sawdust with it. The nail punctured a belt....oops!

I have similar vacuum issues. I had a dyson. Hated it. I had a hoover, broke it. I have a miele, resent it. Yes, I resent my miele. It cost $80000 (slight exaggeration). It's suction is acceptable but it's vacuum bags are squished into this tiny compartment. The bags never actually get full and they have to be changed all. The. Time. They are Way overpriced and there are no knock off substitutions. I resent getting overcharged for a vacuum and then continue to be ripped off by the bags. Grrrr!

I have a Kenmore Progressive Blueberry. It gets mixed reviews on their site, but we have had Zero problems with it in the 3 years we've had it. I love that the bags are easy to remember because sears only has like 2 different styles. My husband tells me every time he uses it how he wishes we would have bought it instead of the Dyson or the Oreck. My kids also like it because it's not that heavy to move around. I also love that the head disconnects with a simple push and I'm off with my wand to do baseboards or stairs etc.

Forgot to add that I love how mine has two power settings the first one turns the vacuum on without turning on the rotating brush, which makes doing bare floors easier. If you click it one notch higher that turns on the brush. It also has a strength slider, so I can turn up and down how hard the suction is, so I can vacuum area rugs like the little ones you'd put by a door with out sucking them up. I love that all of this is on the handle makes it easy to switch from one thing to another.

I have a Kenmore Progressive Blueberry. It gets mixed reviews on their site, but we have had Zero problems with it in the 3 years we've had it. I love that the bags are easy to remember because sears only has like 2 different styles. My husband tells me every time he uses it how he wishes we would have bought it instead of the Dyson or the Oreck. My kids also like it because it's not that heavy to move around. I also love that the head disconnects with a simple push and I'm off with my wand to do baseboards or stairs etc.

Forgot to add that I love how mine has two power settings the first one turns the vacuum on without turning on the rotating brush, which makes doing bare floors easier. If you click it one notch higher that turns on the brush. It also has a strength slider, so I can turn up and down how hard the suction is, so I can vacuum area rugs like the little ones you'd put by a door with out sucking them up. I love that all of this is on the handle makes it easy to switch from one thing to another.

I loved my Kenmore cannister. It was an older model and was just over 20 years old when it died. I regret not spending the money to get another one. I would get another but I don't know how much longer Sears will be around, and if the Kenmore brand is still what it used to be. How old is yours?

I have similar vacuum issues. I had a dyson. Hated it. I had a hoover, broke it. I have a miele, resent it. Yes, I resent my miele. It cost $80000 (slight exaggeration). It's suction is acceptable but it's vacuum bags are squished into this tiny compartment. The bags never actually get full and they have to be changed all. The. Time. They are Way overpriced and there are no knock off substitutions. I resent getting overcharged for a vacuum and then continue to be ripped off by the bags. Grrrr!

I get cheap knock-of substitutions from Amazon. Filtrete 3M makes them. They say Meile on the front and they include the filters. I also order these little lemony pills to put in them when I change the bags so it smells like lemons when I vacuum.

I loved my Kenmore cannister. It was an older model and was just over 20 years old when it died. I regret not spending the money to get another one. I would get another but I don't know how much longer Sears will be around, and if the Kenmore brand is still what it used to be. How old is yours?

It's a little over 3 years old.