Menu

When you were younger...

Night Elf

What is one Christmas gift you remember from when you were younger? With so many Christmases under my belt, there is one memory that sticks out in my mind.

Mine is a red bicycle. When we woke up that morning, my sister and I were all excited, going through all of our Santa stuff and unwrapping gifts. When it was over and we were about to get something to eat and play with our toys, my mom asked me why I hadn't gotten excited over my bike. I told her something like 'oh no, that's not mine. Santa left that for Terri (my sister)'. I was so used to my older sister getting big things that the idea it could be mine never crossed my mind. When she told me that Santa had really left it for me, I cried really hard because I was so happy. I remember my mom being floored because I was crying. I'll have to talk to her today and ask her if she remembers that Christmas.

What is one Christmas gift you remember from when you were younger? With so many Christmases under my belt, there is one memory that sticks out in my mind.

Mine is a red bicycle. When we woke up that morning, my sister and I were all excited, going through all of our Santa stuff and unwrapping gifts. When it was over and we were about to get something to eat and play with our toys, my mom asked me why I hadn't gotten excited over my bike. I told her something like 'oh no, that's not mine. Santa left that for Terri (my sister)'. I was so used to my older sister getting big things that the idea it could be mine never crossed my mind. When she told me that Santa had really left it for me, I cried really hard because I was so happy. I remember my mom being floored because I was crying. I'll have to talk to her today and ask her if she remembers that Christmas.

That's sweet.

The present that stands out most in my mind was also a red bicycle! I had to use the restroom in the middle of the night, and though I tried to resist peeking at the tree, I just couldn't help myself. When I saw two bikes (my younger sister got one too) beside the tree, I almost screamed. I couldn't sleep after that and was happy when I could finally celebrate out loud.

Lol, I was ungrateful so I remember all the presents I got that weren't what I wanted. My mom insisted on buying barbies, dollhouses and other stereotypical girl stuff. What I really wanted was a rock tumbler, a microscope, a race track with the little cars etc. I asked every year for the same handful of items and never got them.

I guess the violin was the one that amazed me most. I was 9 and too old for Santa, and I knew my parents were poor (child #5 had just been born) and that violins were expensive. I never imagined they'd go all out like that for me - just me. I still have that violin, waiting for my kids to grow into it. :)

Other than that, from my Santa days, I had a favorite doll and loved receiving doll stuff - clothes, furniture.

Never got a bike for Christmas. It isn't a great time of year to ride a bike around here. :)

Apparently, I've been an office-supplies dork from the beginning. My absolute favorite gift was a huge box of office supplies my mother scrounged from her workplace. Most of the paper had writing on one side, the page of file-folder labels had about six stickers left, and the binder dividers had rather ominous labels (most memorably, "Infractions"), but it was still the gift that got the most use. Come to think of it, I suspect I still have a box of those tiny staples floating around somewhere.

A highchair for a doll. I didn't like dolls that much so I crammed my Teddy Bear into it. :laugh:

I can't remember how old I was, but I remember one year opening presents on Christmas morning and there being a note from Santa that said to look out the living room window. My brother and I were so excited to see a new swing set (the A-frame metal one that most people got back then). We were so amazed that Santa had taken the time to put it together in our yard while we slept and still deliver all those gifts!

I remember three things: a doll baby and highchair (I had to be around 8), and a Barbie townhouse (about 10). I still have the doll - she was always my favorite. The highchair is getting used and dearly loved by my nieces. The townhouse could very well be in my brother's attic, but I think we got rid of it during a decluttering.

I got a guitar for my 10th Christmas. It was in a box and the box was oddly shaped. I thought it was an ironing board in the box. I was slightly disappointed when I opened it because I could use the toy ironing board to play with. I had no idea how to use the guitar. I didn't get lessons until I was 15.

I asked for a stuffed tiger. My mom got me a stuffed leopard by mistake . (Couldn't she tell the difference between stripes and spots?!) But I loved "Spotty" and slept with him for years - until the other girls at the dorm stole him, put him up in a tall tree and he molded. I still miss Spotty.

How cruel. Nobody could retrieve him for you?

I have two that I really remember: My "Chrissy" doll, who had hair that "grew" out of the top of her head, and my Barbie townhouse.

I had a Chrissy doll!!! I wanted her so badly, but I remember being just a bit disappointed that her hair grew from one single hole on top of her head. I think I was naive enough at that age that I thought her hair might really magically grow. :lol:

The Art Box. We got these more than one year, but it was a cardboard banker's box filled with all kinds of art supplies and paper. It was the best gift ever.
When I was four, my grandpa got me a hammer, a box of nails, and a piece of wood labeled "My Pounding Board". I loved that thing and used it for years until the board broke. I think I had the hammer until a few years ago. It was being held together with duct tape.

I love both these ideas! People on the threads asking for frugal ideas could use these even now.

I remember my first Cabbage Patch doll. I wanted one more than anything in the ENTIRE world that year. When I woke up Christmas morning my boy, Graham Sebastian, was sitting on the counter waiting for me. I actually still have him to this day. I also have pictures of my mom reading me the adoption oath. My mom died a couple of years after that and this is the only Christmas I remember with her.

Best one I remember is Donny and Marie dolls with the stage. I don't know how my parents could afford it but I was the happiest child.

The other two gifts that stand out were a tape recorder and one year my very own white ice skates (the first pair I had that were not hand me downs).

I have two that I really remember: My "Chrissy" doll, who had hair that "grew" out of the top of her head, and my Barbie townhouse.

I totally have a Crissy doll. My uncle bought it for me because my name is Crissy and it is actually spelled correctly on the box. Everyone has always spelled it Chrissy, assuming it is short for Christine.

I asked for a stuffed tiger. My mom got me a stuffed leopard by mistake . (Couldn't she tell the difference between stripes and spots?!) But I loved "Spotty" and slept with him for years - until the other girls at the dorm stole him, put him up in a tall tree and he molded. I still miss Spotty.

:grouphug:

I remember when I was around four- it couldn't have been any older because my brother wasn't born yet- my parents were flat out broke. My mom couldn't bear to let me think that Santa just didn't want to give me many presents, so she took me to the store and I got to pick out one new outfit for my one barbie. I don't know why, but that sticks out most vividly in my memories. And I have no idea how she explained Santa not coming that year. Actually, that may have been when I learned the truth about him, because I don't remember any Christmases where I actually believed Santa was coming.

And yes, knowing that I remember things from that young does terrify me. Hopefully dd's memory isn't as good, because I want to have this whole parenting thing down a little better before she starts remembering everything I do. ;)

I had a Chrissy doll!!! I wanted her so badly, but I remember being just a bit disappointed that her hair grew from one single hole on top of her head. I think I was naive enough at that age that I thought her hair might really magically grow. :lol:

I had Crissy's little sister. I think she had red hair. My mom kept those dolls for years but when I had dd and wanted them my mom admitted she had donated all our dolls..

The Art Box. We got these more than one year, but it was a cardboard banker's box filled with all kinds of art supplies and paper. It was the best gift ever.

My DD is getting something similar, except it'll be specifically scrapbooking stuff...and about 1000 photos to scrapbook. We already have all the other art & craft stuff.

When I was four, my grandpa got me a hammer, a box of nails, and a piece of wood labeled "My Pounding Board". I loved that thing and used it for years until the board broke. I think I had the hammer until a few years ago. It was being held together with duct tape.

This is also similar to an idea I have floating around for DD. Her own tools and wood for a project - in this case a cat house/scratching post for the kitties.

ETA: I forgot to add my memorable gift. The whole Trixie Belden collection. A huge box with SO many books!!! I was in heaven! Unfortunately, Mom lent my collection to a friend of hers for her daughter after I was done with them, and I only got about 5 of them back. :(

Best one I remember is Donny and Marie dolls with the stage. I don't know how my parents could afford it but I was the happiest child.

The other two gifts that stand out were a tape recorder and one year my very own white ice skates (the first pair I had that were not hand me downs).

I got the same set! I was so young that I thought Donny and Marie were married though!

I remember looking through the catalogs when I was a kid, and we were told by my Grandma to write down at least 5 things we wanted for Christmas. We had to write down the page number and letter of the product and what the product was. The year I was in 4th grade, Benji was popular. All I wanted that year was a Benji bag with a Benji puppet in it. I don't remember anything else about that Christmas, but I remember how happy I was to get that gift. :)

My sister got a Benji dog one year. Ii think she still has it and now she has a schitzu named....Benji

I had Crissy's little sister. I think she had red hair. My mom kept those dolls for years but when I had dd and wanted them my mom admitted she had donated all our dolls..

Wasn't Crissy's red-haired sister called Cinnamon? I vaguely remember that because I recall wanting one and my grandmother steering me toward the blond sister (Velvet?) and muttering something about Cinnamon being a name for a lady of the evening. At the time, I didn't know what she meant.

A pogo stick! I was in 4th grade. My older sister got one also. We were fearless on those things. We could joust whilst hanging onto the pogo stick with our knees. We could go up and down stairs and could swing it around mid-jump and land back on it. Looking back it's a wonder we didn't get major head trauma! We did have bruised legs and knees :) Maybe this is why I ended up having all boys :p

My favorite Christmas gift was a Chatty Cathy doll who had a large wardrobe made by my Mom. I loved that doll so much that my DD's middle name is Catherine after Chatty Cathy. My second favorite gift was a Kodak Instamatic camera, which I used to take photos of our wire fox terrier. That was the year I got several Cherry Ames books, too.

My dad would sometimes switch tags on the wrapped presents that were put out before Christmas. Even though we had a no touch rule once a package was wrapped, we kids would try to see who the package was for and guess what it might be. Well, before Christmas I saw this package with my name on it, but it was heavy and looked like it might be some tool in an oblong box for my brother. Come Christmas morning I didn't even bother to look at the tag because I just knew if was for my brother. Finally my mom told me to open it. I was surprised that it was a 4 piece placesetting of silverware for my hope chest. (BTW, my hope chest was made out of cardboard!)

I was also amazed when my dad wanted me to open a particular present first. I thought he meant one I had been eyeing for several days, but it was a different one. It turned out to be a Kodak X15 camera! Anyone remember the ones with the flash cubes! I was so excited and felt grown up to have a camera.

A very large chalkboard. I wanted a chalkboard, and my parents bought me this super huge mega chalkboard on a stand. I was so thrilled. It exceeded my expectations.

oh, you just sparked a memory! I got a large chalkboard, too--LOVED that thing. It was two-sided and on a stand.

I had one, and I remember Velvet, too. In fact, it may have been Velvet, not Crissy! Loved that doll. I had a Baby Tender Love from my grandparents one year--softed doll skin ever. Still remember it!

One year, my mom gave me a box of Scholastic books from the school booksale. She hated that I read so much, because it worried her that I did not want to go out and play. But that year, she just gave me a gift that told me, somewhere inside her, there was a place that accepted me and wanted to make me happy on my terms instead of hers.

I have some poignant and negative/sad memories of Christmas, too--but I'm trying not to share too much of those!

A funny one--I woke very early one Christmas morning when I was probably 7 or 8, and found a wrapped gift on the floor near my bed. It was too dark to see, so I waited and waited, just about dying with the thrill of that "unknown" present...As soon as I could see, I opened it--Turned out it was one I had wrapped for a boy across the street, Robbie. Such disappointment! But I laughed at myself, too.

The Christmas I remember best was the one where my parents had warned us they didn't have much money and not to expect a lot, and then I ended up getting a bunch of books for Christmas. Seriously, best Christmas ever.I also remember being thrilled with my Beatles albums (on vinyl, of course).

I must have been 8 or 9 when I got Lillian Geminee my Cabbage Patch kid. It was the year they were really hard to find. My mom was worried I would be disappointed that she didn't look like me. I have red hair and freckles, and my doll is black with long braids. She said she waited in line for over 3 hours and the doll I got was one of the last ones. I loved her. I still have her. I also loved the doll house my dad built for me. Sweet memories.

I had a Baby Tender Love from my grandparents one year--softed doll skin ever. Still remember it!

I also had Baby Tender Love. This was my favorite until something happened to break its head. My dad put it in the basement and promised to fix it when he got a chance. Then one day I unexpectedly caught a glance of its eyes staring up at me from the top of its head and I freaked out and became afraid of the doll. Luckily I had other dolls. I really loved baby dolls!

The year I got my first Cabbage Patch doll (seems to be a theme here). Her name was Letty Doreen. They were very hard to find at the time, but my mom worked at Sears and was able to put one aside for me. And also the year my mom got me a preemie Cabbage Patch doll and sewed my doll a bunch of clothes and a moses basket, and I loved those things just as much as the doll.

My parents couldn't afford to buy me a Cabbage Patch Doll. On Christmas Eve when I was 8 there was a raffle at a local store (my mom gave me money to enter once) and I won a doll! I was taken to a room, that seemed to have dolls stacked to the ceiling, and was allowed to pick which one I wanted. It was awesome!