• 21-25
    • 26-30
    • 31-32

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? I'm really surprised that most adults would only get 21 or fewer correct. Maybe a non-English speaker taking it in English? Or something. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me at all that the WTM folks got 28-32 right. Most of the questions seemed *really* easy. A lot of the answers seemed that someone could easily guess the right answer if they didn't just know.

I missed the one about the Maimonides. Sad thing is, I HAVE read about them before! :glare:

The only other one I got wrong, I KNEW the answer to and accidentally hit the wrong button.

Not too difficult of a quiz. Most of us with a basic understanding of various religions could do fairly well.

Of course, many of the questions were not really about religion but about America, and I would think some who don't live in the States might now know those.

I only knew all of the teacher/classroom ones because I taught for so many years in PS in the US.

Dawn

Ignore that ninny who voted that she only got 6-10 right. That was me--and I got 8 wrong and 24 correct. I read the poll wrong. Sorry! :blush:

I would have only missed five if I had gone with my first instinct instead of thinking that the really obvious ones must be trick questions. :tongue_smilie:

I saw this awhile ago, so I forget which ones I got wrong, but I know it was only two. Like others, I'm astounded that anyone could score below about 25 on this since I thought all but a few of them were extremely easy, but I'm usually surprised by how badly Americans score on all kinds of tests, so...

I missed 4.

....I also didn't know Maimonides, and couldn't remember which religion went with the Dalai Lama.

Me too!

Hey, I thought that agnostics believe the world was created by God, but that he stepped back and let it go on without any more involvement. Where did I get that idea? Hmmmmmm....And along with that i just hit the wrong button and immediately realized it. Nirvana is a Buddhist belief, not Hindu.

So anyway, I'm tickled that I got a 28. Not bad for an old lady.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I saw this awhile ago, so I forget which ones I got wrong, but I know it was only two. Like others, I'm astounded that anyone could score below about 25 on this since I thought all but a few of them were extremely easy, but I'm usually surprised by how badly Americans score on all kinds of tests, so...

Lots of people would pick a wrong answer just because it's multiple choice test. At least that occasionally happens to me--especially if they seem too easy.

Me too!

Hey, I thought that agnostics believe the world was created by God, but that he stepped back and let it go on without any more involvement. Where did I get that idea? Hmmmmmm....And along with that i just hit the wrong button and immediately realized it. Nirvana is a Buddhist belief, not Hindu.

So anyway, I'm tickled that I got a 28. Not bad for an old lady.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I believe that would be a Deist. See? I do know this stuff. :tongue_smilie:

Or maybe a theistic evolutionist... :001_unsure:

I missed two - one was a wrong click and the other was The Great Awakening. I had that down to two choices but chose poorly. ;) But, I love religion - reading about it, talking about it, studying it. I'm a Catholic, but previously was Protestant, had very close friends in high school who were Mormon (and love talking with the missionaries that come by once in a while), and dh and I studied Judaism for a while when we left Protestantism.

29 :) Did better than I thought. It's been awhile since hs/college and I wasn't sure if I was mixing up hinduism with buddism on a few questions. I didn't know the jewish guy or the Great Awakening guy and Messed up Pakastan. I know they don't follow muslim law, as many other countries in the area, so I wasn't sure if they had a stronger Christian base. Should've know (we have Pakastan reletives. If I had thought about it more, I would've known.)

Um, I got 8 wrong and there were several others that I was lucky on my guessing. I guess I'm not one of the smartest fish in the sea. :tongue_smilie:

Well you're darn smart compared to the "average American" :001_smile:

Re atheists apparently knowing more about religion I would expect that if you did a proper quiz more with in-depth questions, you'd find that many religious people who can't remember the basics of other faiths would have lots of detailed knowledge on their own religion, ie they've learned 'deep' rather than 'wide'.

Edited by Hotdrink

32 right. I was pretty sure on most of them. I'm a Protestant (Reformed) Christian who's always been interested in World History, religion, and people groups. I don't remember much about Maimonides other than he was Jewish. I'm off to Google and learn :)

Edited by ladydusk
I knew his descent, I can't spell his name.

Here is the original article cited in the Christian Science piece; it has more details and interpretation.

Some members might be pleased to know that the survey included control general knowledge questions, including one that asked who was the author of Moby Dick. ;)

Edited by Hotdrink

Here is the original article cited in the Christian Science piece; it has more details and interpretation.

Some members might be pleased to know that the survey included control general knowledge questions, including one that asked who was the author of Moby Dick. ;)

Thanks for linking! Interesting read, and if you click to read the next two sections, you can find out the nine general knowledge questions.

I've taken it before and got them all correct. I think the title "Smarter than an atheist" is both misleading and insulting. Misleading to believers because it doesn't mean atheists are more intelligent; just better informed about various religions. Insulting to atheists because, well what does it mean? Most of us know "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?", so it sounds like atheists aren't supposed to be smart. :confused:

The reason many atheists and agnostics do better is simply a matter of research. Many of us came from religious backgrounds, and didn't just stop believing in a deity/deities. We researched other religions to find out if maybe it was just our own we no longer believed in. By the time we come to the come to the conclusion that we don't believe any of them, we've learned a lot about most of them.

Another reasonable explanation I've seen is that Catholics or Protestants or Pagans or etc. of whatever educational level all categorize themselves the same way; whereas very educated nonbelievers are more likely to describe themselves as atheists, while the less educated tend to describe themselves as 'not religious' or 'spiritual but no organized religion.'

I'd want to see some actual supporting survey data for that; but it seems reasonable that a description that still carries some social stigma would have some variation in its usage, and educational level seems a likely one.

I missed 4.

When the Morman religion was founded - i thought it was earlier than 1800.

Maimonides - never heard of him and guessed wrong.

First Great Awakening - knew it wasn't Billy Graham but couldn't remember much of what it was about.

Indonesia question - didn't know where they fell.

I was raised Catholic, but left the church and now self-identify as an evangelistic, non-denominational Christian. But I guess the couple years I spent at a UU church helped broaden my knowledge.