Menu

How have you changed because of this board or other forums?

With the recent Chick Fil-A controversy, a new "e-card" has shown up twice in my newsfeed on facebook: "Your relentless political facebook posts finally turned me around to your way of thinking,' said nobody ever." And I've seen people here say that no one's mind will ever be changed because of a forum discussion. However, I don't personally find that to be the case and I'm certain I can't be the only one. So I thought it would be interesting for those of use who have changed in one way or another due to online discussions, to share those thoughts in a general way (not politicking).

I'll start but I'm going to keep it fairly general, however I will say that within these areas, I have had major shifts in thought as I've considered discussions here.

-The biggest change in me was hearing from the RC and EO groups. My family left our protestant church and are preparing for baptism in the Eastern Orthodox Church. I had a very closed mind before some extremely gracious ladies took the time to walk me through Church history.

-I see other's opinions as just that now, rather than taking personal offense.

-I'm no longer angry at certain groups of people, having heard from them first-hand, so to speak.

-I look at welfare in a new light.

-I no longer feel that homeschooling is right for every single person and have no ill-will toward those who choose otherwise. I was once vehement that God commanded us all to homeschool.

-I've found a lot of common ground with people I never thought I could.

I'm sure there's more.

Much could be said about just growing up a little more and God doing these works in me and I would say that is true but I also know that without these forums, I wouldn't have had the opportunity. I am so thankful! :)

NEXT!

I agree with WendyK! :)

I also have started to look at behavioral issues in a new light. I have one who is going through evaluations and will probably be ADHD, maybe SPD, etc... and I always thought, in the back of my mind, if I just disciplined him a little more, a little better...seeing others travelling the same road. People even further along the road, and having them tell me that I really can't treat him like my NT child and expect the same results, that has changed how I interact with him somewhat.

I also enjoy threads discussing religion and religious beliefs. I always learn so much.

I think I have a much more open mind than years ago.....I am not so black/white on issues.

I can appreciate some one else's opinion even if it is different than mine.

I am more compassionate.

I think I tend to look more for solutions now than reasons why something can't be done.

I am encouraged to try new things, be myself even irl, and I am not so afraid to ask for advice....I don't need to know it all.....I am not less of a person or stupid if I need help.

It was a forum that actually got me thinking about homeschool. I never, ever thought I would do this. I always thought homeschoolers were freak shows (no offense). But I used to spend a lot of time on Diaper Swappers, and one day I randomly wandered over to their homeschool forum (I guess you can only talk about cloth diapers for so long, huh?). I don't know why, but once I got there, I realized that homeschooling was very different from what I thought. I then checked out a bunch of homeschooling books from the library and the rest is history. :001_smile:

I've also learned to just be less extreme in my views in general. A lot of people make a lot of good arguments about a lot of stuff. Sometimes I think my arguments are good, too, but I have to acknowledge that the other side often makes some good points. My world is less black and white because of forums.

I think I *try* to focus more on the important issues and really, there aren't very many. I try to be less judgmental of others in general. I care less about what other people do in their lives and care less about what other people think(although I still care too much).

I think I have a much more open mind than years ago.....I am not so black/white on issues.

I am more compassionate.

I think I tend to look more for solutions now than reasons why something can't be done.

I am encouraged to try new things, be myself even irl, and I am not so afraid to ask for advice....I don't need to know it all.....I am not less of a person or stupid if I need help.

:iagree: :)

~snip~

-The biggest change in me was hearing from the RC and EO groups. My family left our protestant church and are preparing for baptism in the Eastern Orthodox Church. I had a very closed mind before some extremely gracious ladies took the time to walk me through Church history.

~snip~

-I no longer feel that homeschooling is right for every single person and have no ill-will toward those who choose otherwise. I was once vehement that God commanded us all to homeschool.

~snip~

Much could be said about just growing up a little more and God doing these works in me and I would say that is true but I also know that without these forums, I wouldn't have had the opportunity. I am so thankful! :)

NEXT!

I am more compassionate.

~snip~

~snip~

I've also learned to just be less extreme in my views in general. A lot of people make a lot of good arguments about a lot of stuff. Sometimes I think my arguments are good, too, but I have to acknowledge that the other side often makes some good points. My world is less black and white because of forums.

:iagree: with the above and I also no longer believe public school is evil.;)

I am much, much more open minded. I have a tendency to be a very black/white person. I don't even usually participate but just reading the discussions has opened up my mind and heart.:) I think the Hive has truly helped me love all mankind not just those that think and behave as I do.;)

Lots of helpful information about parenting and boundaries with people in general. Some statements have made me stop and go huh...never thought of that. One statement that has helped me is "Don't let your feelings of mercy allow her to behave without integrity." I pondered over that for weeks. :)

I agree with many of the previous points about understanding others' points of view more, and being more compassionate.

I think I've actually become a more confident, self-assured person after having 'talked' to so many people here and realised that there are so many other people who think in a similar way to myself, who worry about similar things, who even share some of my 'peculiarities' :tongue_smilie:.

I've also learned a lot about Americans. I always assumed that America was very similar to Britain, just bigger and bolder, but I realise now how very, very different you are in so many ways.

Too many things to list, but I'll try anyway in chronological order, in honor of TWTM.

Threads on the following topics changed my view, or at the very least opened my mind to being sympathetic for another view:

The promise ring and courting

Quiverfull

The Pearls

Vision Forum

Homeschool Conventions

Growing Kids God's Way

Protestant Christianity (specifically Evangelical Christianity and/or Modern Christianity)

The Roman Catholic Church

The Eastern Orthodox Church

Christian History

Reading Pagan Classics

What is Classical Education

and finally, Kilts

just to name a few...

Many areas of my life have changed fairly dramatically: parenting, marriage, worship, homeschooling...I'm happy with all the changes and I'm grateful for the people on this forum who are and have been willing to share their views and their lives here.

May God bless each and every one...:grouphug:. I fluffy, puffy heart love you guys!

p.s. the chronological thing didn't work out too well, after the promise ring it was all downhill from there and I don't remember what changed when after that. I do remember that was my first "oh wow, I never thought of it that way," moment here though.

Edited by JenniferB

I changed the way we homeschool. Before I knew about this board we did Calvert because Calvert and Laurel Springs (I think, anyway, I was never interested in them) were the only homeschool providers I knew about. Who knew there were so many choices? Who knew that you didn't have to use the same level of the same product across the board? Not me! Now I can't imagine trying to use an all-in-one boxed curriculum as written. You ladies have ruined me. :tongue_smilie:

I am more compassionate.

These are some of mine as well. I've learned quite a bit about compassion and the reality of some very hard lives on this board.

I've also become an atheist :) That's not ENTIRELY due to this board, but it certainly did contribute in profound ways. Reading other Pov's, and even MY OWN POV as written out by others who shared my beliefs, and express them in other words, helped me see my own beliefs in a new way, and I knew I could no longer maintain them. I was an extremely right-wing, conservative Evangelical. Now, I'm not.

I wonder if I'm the only one who went that way because of the board. :lol:

My biggest change happened on an unschooling board. My parenting was already leaning in that direction but what I read there made so much sense that I lost all my doubts and became the parent I wanted to be. I'm just glad it happened fairly early in my children's lives because we've reaped some wonderful benefits.

The first thing to pop into my head about this board is just how different same situations can turn out. I see 5 people in the same situation and see 5 different ways it plays out. I used to think I had all the answers and yet I was walking such a narrow path that I didn't realize there were other answers that were just as valid. And I'll confess that I've gotten taken down a peg or two over the years. :tongue_smilie:

I am more compassionate.

:iagree:

People bring things to light in a way I never considered. I find myself going, 'oh... that makes sense' and then even if I don't agree, I can see the logic of the other 'side'.

I've 'met' and 'conversed' with people from all walks of life, all faiths, all religions. Living where we do, and being a SAHM who doesn't work, go to college, etc, I wouldn't get that opportunity at this time in my life otherwise.

I've learned a lot about other religions, and I've discovered how much I'm sometimes clueless as to what they're talking about! :lol: I've never known technicalities and such - we just never were taught all that. So I've had to sit and try to figure out what some are talking about sometimes, and it's always educational!

I've discovered a lot about curriculum. I had, before deciding to actually homeschool, done an online search and found some of the different things out there - but most of them left me feeling like, 'meh' - they just weren't what I was looking for. I read TWTM after I had decided to homeschool and knew it was the perfect approach for me, and I really don't know what brought me here... but I was able to take a lot of info in when I came. (Sometimes too much - I have to admit, I was second guessing my choice to use the math program that I did within a few weeks of being a 'regular' on here. Granted, my reasons were valid - the comments of others regarding the curriculum were opening my eyes to ways that I wasn't sure would work for my kids - but I decided to stick it out for the year anyway. Halfway through I knew we wouldn't keep it any longer than that. But sometimes, if I get too entrenched on the curriculum board, I find myself seeing all these options that make me think I should have done ___ instead of ___. But I've gotten to where I just don't bother unless I'm actually making plans for new stuff or I'm commenting on something I have experience with. :D )

I agree with others that one of the main changes from this board and others I've been on is that I see many points of view, many ways that people can be great parents and great people. I once thought there was the One Right Way and couldn't guess why people didn't do what was obviously the ORW. :rolleyes:

Being on this board stepped up my commitment to teach my children well and not buy into the "Well, gee, they're homeschooled, so they will naturally be extremely bright with 2 hours a day of work" picture I foolishly embraced in early homeschool life. :tongue_smilie:

I like that on this board, you can find someone who has some knowledge about practically any quirky thing you can imagine: Quinoa recipes, traveling by RV, good hamster cages, Ticonderoga pencils, Egyptian gods and goddesses, coconut oil - the list is endless.

I do believe I have changed. I think more critically about my point of view and the opinions I hold. Threads here have sparked introspection on concepts that I thought were long settled in my mind. Sometimes my ideas are reinforced all the more and sometimes they shift in the opposite direction.

It has also been very reassuring to hear from people coping with similar circumstances. And let's not forget the practical knowledge gained that I have applied and thus changed certain aspects of my life as well. I do appreciate my time spent here.

I have learned so much from this forum. I have also wasted more time on here than I care to admit :tongue_smilie:. I think the biggest thing that I have gained from this forum thus far is the confidence in my choice to homeschool. More specifically the confidence to branch out and choose curriculum that works for our family. I would have never found that courage without the hive, I probably would have still been trying to get that box curriculum I started with to work.

I also agree that this forum has completely opened up my eyes to the world around me. I have very much enjoyed reading about others religious beliefs, approaches to parnthood, etc.. Thank you all for the blessing that you have been in my life!

Being on this board stepped up my commitment to teach my children well and not buy into the "Well, gee, they're homeschooled, so they will naturally be extremely bright with 2 hours a day of work" picture I foolishly embraced in early homeschool life.

This. I was kind of surrounded by this type of thinking early on. Coming here was very intimidating to me at first. I've learned to reach for more and expect more from our kids. I found permission to take homeschooling much more seriously and information on how to do it. We are all having a much richer experience because of this.

-I am much more accepting of other Christian denomination's beliefs.

-I am WAY less judgmental of those who do things differently.

-I have much more confidence in my homeschooling endeavor

-I am so much less arrogant than I used to be

-It is so freeing to realize that hundreds of mothers go through the same issues that I face with my naughty kids and generally come out on the other side okay.

I've come to realize that not all Christians are horrible and closed-minded, the way I previously assumed.

Alternately, I've come to realize that not all non-Christians are sad people walking around sadly :D. I guess since I was brought up in an area where practically everyone went to church, I assumed anyone that didn't would be walking around in dark cloak, hatching schemes - kind of like a Disney villain. :lol:

This forum has shown me that non-Christians can be fun, wise, HAPPY, interesting, content and really cool.

(And also, that I was much, MUCH more sheltered than I thought! :lol:)

1. I feel much more empowered as a homeschooling mom.

2. I received a lot of great advice a year ago this month, when my daughter shared with me that she was suffering from depression. I can't thank the posters enough for their input! Ya'll were there when I needed help the most.

3. I loved getting to know moms from different cultural and religious backgrounds. We're quite a cool bunch of people!:D

I don't think I've changed an opinion that's already formed, but I've definitely been helped to form opinions about things I didn't know much about by listening to people here.

I've also solidified views that I was unsure about. While I haven't really posted much in those threads, reading about Joanne's struggles with health care has definitely had an affect on the stringency of my opinions about what should be done about health care here.

I am a lot more open-minded than I used to be. I feel less judgmental. I am more aware of behavioral and dietary issues. I am more understanding of different parenting styles and choices. Sometimes IRL when I encounter a problem I find myself asking, "Now, if I asked the Hive what to do about XYZ, what advice would I receive?"

I spend an exorbitant amount of time every summer researching curricula and other resources that I would never have come across were it not for this place.

Whenever I see an errant apostrophe IRL I giggle and think of Mrs. Mungo. :tongue_smilie:

I spot logical fallacies with a quickness!

I've also become an atheist :)

I've moved from being an apathist (someone who is uninterested in whether there is a deity or not) to an agnostic. It was only a millimeter to one side but I realized people are much more fired up about religion than I thought, and perhaps I should bother to state the deity vs. no deity is unprovable with what we have thus far.

I've also learned I am constitutionally unable to believe in a non-evil deity creating everlasting punishment. It just isn't in me. Reading the board has made me think on this topic for the first time.

But, for the most part, this board is expensive but enlightening, and I believe I am a considerably better teacher for it.

-I've found a lot of common ground with people I never thought I could.

See? You've made a east coast blue state liberal Democrat friend! :001_smile:

And I've made a west coast conservative friend! And all because of dogs-- aren't they marvelous creatures?

I feel so blessed to call you a friend, Alenee!

astrid (who, incidentally, thinks that every congressman on both sides of the aisle should have to train dogs. It's very humbling and great for building patience!)

Alternately, I've come to realize that not all non-Christians are sad people walking around sadly :D. I guess since I was brought up in an area where practically everyone went to church, I assumed anyone that didn't would be walking around in dark cloak, hatching schemes - kind of like a Disney villain. :lol:

This forum has shown me that non-Christians can be fun, wise, HAPPY, interesting, content and really cool.

(And also, that I was much, MUCH more sheltered than I thought! :lol:)

:lol: I live in an area that's 99.999999% Christian, and now I am so tempted to throw on a black cloak and a giant fake mustache and walk down the street twirling it and cackling. :D

I personally do not change my mind on issues very often as a result of reading what other people think, but it has been known to happen occasionally.

However, I believe it's well worthwhile to gain a fuller understanding of somebody else's view, even if I'm never going to agree with it.

Being on this board stepped up my commitment to teach my children well and not buy into the "Well, gee, they're homeschooled, so they will naturally be extremely bright with 2 hours a day of work" picture I foolishly embraced in early homeschool life. :tongue_smilie:

There, you changed my POV on this. No, really, I have been walking around thinking this all summer. Its really sad. :crying:

:lol: I live in an area that's 99.999999% Christian, and now I am so tempted to throw on a black cloak and a giant fake mustache and walk down the street twirling it and cackling. :D

Oh, Mergath, what I wouldn't pay to see that?,!:lol::lol:

Lol:lol::lol::lol:

However, in my neck of the woods....no one would look at you twice....oy!

Edited by Mommyfaithe

I've also learned I am constitutionally unable to believe in a non-evil deity creating everlasting punishment. It just isn't in me. Reading the board has made me think on this topic for the first time.

This is how I've begun to feel and I was what would be called a fundamentalist. I didn't even know I was that before coming here.( I know that doesn't seem possible, but our church doesn't use the word fundamentalist. ) I still have many questions that I am working through. Seeing so many viewpoints has been mind stretching and encouraged me to go searching on my own.

Edited by Onceuponatime

These are some of mine as well. I've learned quite a bit about compassion and the reality of some very hard lives on this board.

I've also become an atheist :) That's not ENTIRELY due to this board, but it certainly did contribute in profound ways. Reading other Pov's, and even MY OWN POV as written out by others who shared my beliefs, and express them in other words, helped me see my own beliefs in a new way, and I knew I could no longer maintain them. I was an extremely right-wing, conservative Evangelical. Now, I'm not.

Do you mind if I ask how your family and friends handled this change in you? Was it a difficult transition?

I converted to Eastern Orthodoxy. I was already really struggling with Evangelical Protestantism. I quietly read many of the posts by the EO ladies on the boards and grew to admire the quietness and calmness. Then over time I found I already agreed with most of the theology. We would have these religious threads on the forum, and when the EO ladies would reply I would find myself agreeing with them. This was something I looked into and walked away from for a couple years, before I making the plunge to really exploring and attending an EO church.

Like others posters, I couldn't handle and "angry" God who initiates eternal punishment on his creation. (that is a bit of an oversimplification of what I was struggling with, but it was a large factor.)

I have told a couple friends that I would probably be agnostic of Jewish(convert) if I hadn't had what I considered a very real encounter with Jesus. I was the only thing that kept me from no walking away from Christianity as a whole.

Edited by Juniper

I've participated in the 52 books a year threads for a couple of years. It's caused me to be far more intentional about reading/thinking about literature; I've broadened the genres/authors that I read exponentially because of the discussions.

Weekly/yearly reports have made me far more intentional about what we've accomplished with homeschooling. Reading others reports (via the weekly thread) and adventures has led us to do and try some fascinating things...

Oh geez.

Before the Hive, I'd never heard of:

The Pearls (gee, thanks for THAT enlightenment! :glare::lol:)

TeA

bOOks

and was a closet kilt lover.

I double check my knee jerk reactions now. I channel my inner Mrs. Mungo, Audrey, Faith, Atrid and Faithe to see if I'm acting or reacting, and it's also given me more confidence in making hard decisions.

I'm also nowhere near as lonely. :001_smile:

Do you mind if I ask how your family and friends handled this change in you? Was it a difficult transition?

I don't mind sharing. If you want more, you can PM. I don't want to hijack. Maybe it'd be an interesting topic for a new thread. Changes in spiritual belief after marriage, or something to that effect. (Do forgive this response here, all. I promise not to post on the issue any more in this thread!)

Husband: Hubby and I were missionaries for a pretty well-known Evangelical organization for about 7 years. We moved and left ministry for him to take a new job when we never got full financial support (we lived off of the "love offerings" of others, and the construction work dh did, even though he had an advanced degree in his non-religion-related field). Amazingly, we began losing faith at the same time, and over the course of two years, we dropped hints at one another before eventually just "coming out" to one another. It was a wonderful relief. I don't know how it would have been if one of us had left the faith and the other hadn't, or something like that.

Kids: They were young, but had been pretty well subsumed in church. AWANAS, Sunday School, VBS, Church, etc. However, my oldest child at 7 didn't seem to ever believe, and she had friends giving her a hard time about reading Harry Potter, etc. She was fine with quitting. Younger son cried when he found out we weren't going to church any more, but he got over it in a couple of weeks :) Youngest child has no memory of church.

Other family: We came from non-Evangelical homes, so there was no big deal there. (DH's family was Catholic, but only 2 of of the 9 kids remain members-- issues with a pedophile priest, among other things--. I grew up in non-religious home).

Friends: Fortunately we moved before things got ugly. We lived in a place where just about everyone was either a Christian or assumed to be one. We knew we'd lose friends if they found out, and our kids would have suffered. Still have friends in that town who don't know. Haven't even come out to most distant, Christian, FB friends. No reason to. Perhaps one day I'll share it, and they'll be amazed I haven't turned into some horrible, evil being, and that we've still managed to have loving friendships, even though I don't believe any more. (I just had a Skype conversation last night with one of the few friends from the previous city that I told about my atheism. She has 5 young girls and finally divorced her husband who has had an addiction to child pornography for years. She felt she could talk with me because I didn't believe anymore, and that he people in her church were giving her a hard time and preaching Bible verses to her about the evils of divorce, and what a woman's "true, Godly" response should be. So, sometimes, it appears I can be helpful in my atheism. :)

That's all :)

ETA: Was it difficult? Certain things, yes. Leaving church, for one. I was ready to go much sooner than hubby, but he said we should wait until summer and then slide quietly from our church duties, saying that we were too busy and traveling that summer (which was true), and then just not go back. He was very wise! I was afraid first about Hell, about my children going to Hell, because even when you don't actually believe in such things anymore, there's a very deep fear and programming inside of you. Fortunately, that's gone now. Otherwise, I almost 12-stepped it--like an addict. I went to friends (ex-friends in some cases) and family and apologized for being such an aggressive proselytizer, and tried to make right. That was hard.

Edited by Ipsey

I understand more about people who take things more to heart than I do. You would have to beat me over the head with a stick to offend me. I am pretty oblivious to things that others take as slams against them. I try to watch what I say more now because I see how many people really take things much more personally than I do. I hope I am better at not offending people because of it.

I have told a couple friends that I would probably be agnostic of Jewish(convert) if I hadn't had what I considered a very real encounter with Jesus. I was the only thing that kept me from no walking away from Christianity as a whole.

I had SO looked into coverting to Judaism after years of leaving my Protestant non-denom church (and after trying the home church thing). Then you became EO and I became Catholic.

Huh. So, doppleganger, what shall we do next? I mean, maybe if we start planning this we could be more powerful. ;)

So I thought it would be interesting for those of use who have changed in one way or another due to online discussions, to share those thoughts in a general way (not politicking).

Nothing on the forum has changed my mind about anything. I did learn there are many more atheist homeschoolers than I thought. I do have some IRL atheist homeschooling friends, but we are definitely in the minority. We usually keep our mouths shut about what we (don't) believe, except when talking to each other.

I've also become an atheist :)

Not because of this board or any other board, but homeschooling in general contributed. I had never met conservative Christians or heard of YEC until we began homeschooling. The first group we joined locally required a statement of faith that I disagreed with. (I was raised Catholic but converted to Methodist when dh and I married.) Ds was told at age six that he would be going to hell because his parents let him watch Harry Potter (we hadn't started reading it yet, and only saw the first movie). I started to do some research on that type of Christianity and decided that I no longer believed in any version. I explored some other religions, including pantheism, various types of Paganism, and New Age. Eventually I decided I didn't believe any of it.

I've learned that no matter what you say, what you believe, what you think... there's always someone who will disagree with you.

That's not true! :lol: J/K Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I've found some great recommendations on the book threads and movie/Netflix threads, for both me and ds. I think it was here I first heard of Downton Abbey.

Originally I came and started posting just so I could get my 50 posts and sell on the For Sale board. I stayed because I enjoyed the company. :001_smile:

See? You've made a east coast blue state liberal Democrat friend! :001_smile:

And I've made a west coast conservative friend! And all because of dogs-- aren't they marvelous creatures?

I feel so blessed to call you a friend, Alenee!

astrid (who, incidentally, thinks that every congressman on both sides of the aisle should have to train dogs. It's very humbling and great for building patience!)

:lol::lol: :grouphug: You're definitely right about the dog thing! ;)

I have to add this one: at one point, I was so offended by someone on the boards that I put them on ignore. However, something really did change in the past two years... I finally took that person off ignore and now I actually look forward to reading their pov, even if I disagree.

Not because of this board or any other board, but homeschooling in general contributed. I had never met conservative Christians or heard of YEC until we began homeschooling. The first group we joined locally required a statement of faith that I disagreed with. (I was raised Catholic but converted to Methodist when dh and I married.) Ds was told at age six that he would be going to hell because his parents let him watch Harry Potter (we hadn't started reading it yet, and only saw the first movie). I started to do some research on that type of Christianity and decided that I no longer believed in any version.

This applies to me to. Coming to this board and other homeschooling resources exposed me to different ideas about Christianity that led me to thinking about what I really believed and I realized that I didn't really believe even the basic tenets. I'm still searching for what I do believe, if anything.

ETA: I was never strict, evangelical, fundamentalist, conservative, etc. I grew up United Methodist and spent some time going to Catholic church. My beliefs were always more to the liberal side.