Cake Poll!

Which is better: Cake or Icing?  

1. 1. Which is better: Cake or Icing?

• Cake tastes much better than icing.
    • Icing tastes much better than cake.
    • I like it all!
    • I don't like cake or icing.
    • Other
    • What is this "icing" you speak of? It's called frosting!

Poll coming...

I hate icing. I always scrape it off. It's just so sugary it seems to burn my throat when I eat it. Dh hates cake. He says it's boring and has a gross consistency. Ds will tolerate icing on cake but doesn't need it. Dd only eats lemon cake, with or without lemon icing. :D

Do you prefer the icing, the cake, both, or neither? Also, if you have a favorite cake flavor, feel free to post it!

I think this may be something that changes with age. However, I have a niece who loathed sugary stuff and would flip over her cake before eating it from the bottom, so as to avoid the frosting. This was true since she was a tot.

Personally, I like cake with a little frosting (especially if it's whipped cream or sour cream frosting) but they always seem to put too much on. When I was a kid, someone gave us a tub full of lemon frosting and I used to happily eat it by the spoonful. I could not do that today.

My favorite kind of cake is angel food. I also like plain old white cake. Lemon is fun too.

Just cake. Growing up we'd make just the cake and sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Sometimes mom would make a kind of frosting: margarine mixed with sugar and crushed pineapple or canned peaches. Can't believe we used to think that was yummy. My favorite is lemon cake with lemon pudding. I've never been fond of frosting.

When I first ate at dh's parents' house his mom made her usual yellow cake with chocolate frosting. The frosting was like fudge. It was a 2-layer cake and I just ate the cake parts out (not fond of chocolate either) and the frosting was thick enough to stand up on the plate by itself!

Lemon is fun too.

I'm with your dd. Lemon cake is the best. Chocolate runs a close second. I like frosting if it is creamy but not too thick. I'd rather a simple glaze.

The lemon cake I made yesterday was unbelievable. It was just a boxed mix, but I added 2 cups of blueberries and only added 2/3 c. water instead of 1 1/3 c. The blueberries sank to the bottom as the cake cooked and the end result was amazing. (No, I didn't frost it. I just sprinkled a little powdered sugar on top.) :D It is my new favorite cake!

I usually pick off the icing. Or frosting. Is there a difference?

However, I just made a cake (Angry Birds!) for a birthday party today and made cream cheese frosting, doubling the cream cheese and halving the powdered sugar. I could eat that stuff straight out of the bowl.

No preference on cake flavor, except I'm always craving Funfetti now that we can't have it. :glare:

With a single exception I don't like icing. I do like homemade cream cheese icing on carrot cake but that's it. Otherwise, I scrape it off, too. My favorite is warm chocolate cake with a pat of butter. Second would be just about any other cake, warm, with a pat of butter. Awhile back I had a pc of chocolate cake, warm, with a pat of plain cream cheese. It was really good but failed to achieve the perfect meltiness of butter.

Thanks . . . now I need cake.

Major sweet tooth here and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE icing! (I always want the corner peice):D

:iagree: I say eating cake is a good excuse to get frosting into your mouth.:D And I like buttercream, yes the super duper sweet bakery frosting. I'll take the giant rose too.:tongue_smilie:

I love frosting, but only if it's my own homemade butter cream with vanilla and almond, even better if on white cake but I can live with chocolate cake too. My DH's favorite is my homemade german chocolate cake with pecan frosting, especially if you leave it a little less stiff and put it on when warm so it sinks into the cake. He would prefer mock whip cream over butter cream any day. There are lots of different kinds of frosting and icing, some I like, some I don't, so I don't dare lump them altogether. :D

I don't ever frost my cakes. I either make German-style kuchen which have tons of fruit (either on top or inside), or if I make American cake I use powdered sugar, or sometimes whipped cream.

I don't much like most American cakes from a box or store, but if they're at least fairly moist, I'll eat a small slice and a bit of the frosting but toss most of the icing, esp. if it's got big thick decorations.

I do like the cream cheese frosting on carrot cake! But still not too thick.

My mom used to make cakes for a living and still does them every now and then, so I've had my share of cake and probably yours too. I ♥ cake! My mom makes her own frosting though and I hate it. It's too sweet. Blech. I do like frosting, just not hers. Probably because she doesn't make butter cream. She made our wedding cake I insisted on a different kind of frosting. I also insisted that every other layer (there were 5 tiers) be strawberry, which is my FAVORITE cake ever. James Bond made me a strawberry birthday cake once and put dark chocolate frosting on it. I was very wary of this, but it turned out to be AMAZING. It's what I ask for every year on my birthday now.

My other favorite cakes are lemon with or without frosting and red velvet with cream cheese frosting. If it's a yellow, white or chocolate cake, I like it to have a fruit layer in the middle. Mmmmm....cake.

I like it all. In fact, cake is my absolute #1 favorite sweet food. I can eat cake without icing, but it's not my preference. The more icing the better.

And now I want cake which means I have to get dressed and go to the store. But now I've got a hankering. :)

Poll coming...

I hate icing. I always scrape it off. It's just so sugary it seems to burn my throat when I eat it. Dh hates cake. He says it's boring and has a gross consistency. Ds will tolerate icing on cake but doesn't need it. Dd only eats lemon cake, with or without lemon icing. :D

Do you prefer the icing, the cake, both, or neither? Also, if you have a favorite cake flavor, feel free to post it!

DH and I both dislike icing!! We're generally the ones scraping it off our cake, too.

Granted, DH doesn't care for sweets much at all, so it's unsurprising that he finds icing too sugary.

I will say that my favorite cake is marble - with chocolate chip icing (made with - yep - melted chocolate chips). Now that's an icing that I definitely eat!

Oh, and for the kids I usually do the icing with Cool Whip and pudding. It's good stuff - not real sweet.

It totally depends. If it is my homemade butter cream than the frosting is best. If it is store bought cake the cake is better. Most store bought frosting is WAY too sweet, and has little flavor to it other than that. My buttercream, with coconut or almond extract in it, is the exception and is to die for :)

Poll coming...

I used to be like you in not liking the icing very much, and then I discovered

. The only thing i do differently than the gal in the video is that I add all the (room temperature) butter at once and mix it for 15 minutes on low.

When it's done it is the most amazingly smooth and velvety consistency you can imagine. It's not sickeningly sweet like regular American buttercream. I'll never eat American buttercream again.

I chose Other. I generally only love home-made icing. Bakery icing is the worst. Canned store-bought icing is a little better than bakery icing. My favorite home-made icings are a marshmallow one in the KitchenAide book and the Hershey's "Perfect Chocolate" one. Actually, I also think the recipe for Hershey's "Perfect Chocolate Cake" is amazing.

I love chocolate frosting. I also enjoy a good cream cheese frosting on carrot cakes. And I think a lemon glaze seriously enhances lemon cakes.

Other than those, I do not like nor make frostings. I bake a lot.

I would make an exception if I needed to hide an ugly spot in a cake!

I like cake better than frosting. I prefer to eat cake with no frosting at all, unless it's red velvet cake or key lime cake with cream cheese & pecan frosting, and then I like both together. I can.not.stand that greasy buttercream frosting the bakeries put on their cakes. Blechhh!

I love the frosting - it's the best part of the cake! However, I prefer a lighter whipped frosting over the super sweet sugary kind. If it's too sweet I eat a little bit with the cake and toss the rest.

Chocolate cake is preferred, esp if it comes with coconut pecan or mocha frosting, but carrot cake is a strong second.

I recently made a cake from scratch from a recipe in an old Fanny Farmer cookbook. I was so surprised at the difference from the boxed cake mixes I am accustomed to. I really liked it, not as sweet, heavier consistency, much more filling.

There's nothing better than cake with delicious, homemade buttercream. Chocolate or lemon are the best.

There's nothing worse than cake with store-bought, hyper sweet frosting.

Quality makes all the difference.

:iagree: I really dislike the typical cake fristings from store bought cakes or store bought frosting in cans.

Homemade frosting is a perfect compliment to cake. Our local health food co-op makes a heavenly fudgy frosting too.

...I don't much like most American cakes from a box or store...

There's nothing better than cake with delicious, homemade buttercream. Chocolate or lemon are the best.

There's nothing worse than cake with store-bought, hyper sweet frosting.

Quality makes all the difference.

It depends on the cake, and it depends on the icing. Quality makes a huge difference.

If you've not had cake and frosting made at home, from quality ingredients (not a mix! real butter!), then give it a try. There are very, very easy recipes out there and the resulting cake is *so* much better than store-bought that you'll never go back.

Yes, it's definitely called frosting here, not icing. :D

I *LOVE* frosting!! I always try to get the corner piece of cake. But I like thick, creamy buttercream type frosting... there's a trend to do the whipped cream type frosting and I don't like that nearly as much.

MelMichigan... would you be open to sharing your homemade frosting recipe with the vanila and almond? Because that sounds heavenly and I'd be tempted to eat spoonfuls right out of the bowl!! :D

I have never liked cake or icing/frosting (store or home. I like certain chips, however). I do like certain ice cream.

Yeah, homemade icing/frosting is no more enjoyable than store-bought icing for me either. It's all :ack2: to me.

Totally depends on the kind of frosting/icing. Homemade the way I learned from MIL? Yum. Nasty chemical-y tasting stuff usually on store-bought bakery cakes (from a grocery store bakery)? Ew.

Really, though--the best is an even mix. Just the right amount of frosting to get the perfect mix with each bite!