Menu

How much does heat concern you when kids have to be outside?

We had a field trip today that was scheduled weeks ago. The kids spent two hours outside in humid, mid-upper 90-degree weather (about a half hour in the direct sun). I really, really wanted to bail on the trip but decided not to because I felt like I was being a baby about it and believed that the program organizers would modify the schedule to keep the kids outdoors less (they didn't). I was not happy when we arrived and I found out the schedule for the class (hour and a half walk, half hour collecting pond specimens, half hour in the nature center), but we stayed anyway.

Thankfully, the girls did better than I expected, but a few of the kids had a hard time with the heat. Some of the moms were very concerned, but others thought it was really no big deal and that we were concerned for nothing. Do you think this kind of outside time is excessive given the weather? Would you have skipped or rescheduled the class under the circumstances? Would you have requested a curtailed outdoor session?

TIA!

I think they should have modified the class to accommodate for the heat. It can be dangerous to be out that long in the heat if you are unprepared for it.

Sort of off topic, but it drives me nuts to see people standing outside holding Clearance Sale signs, or whatever on those terribly hot days, too. They shouldn't have to do that kind of work in 90+ degree weather.

The first thing I'd be most concerned about is how hydrated *my* kids were and how I know how *my* kids do in heat. I say that, because I really think different kids can handle heat differently.

The second concern would be the time. You say it was only a half hour in the direct sun. For my kids, yes, that would have been fine.

My kids were running around in 107* yesterday in the direct sun for about 30 minutes. They were not as hydrated as I like, so I called an end after the half hour. On a normal day, if they had sunscreen on, they probably could have stayed longer. When the temps get extreme, I really think each person should be considered on a case-by-case basis.

My oldest and I both get heat triggered migraines and this happens more often when it's really humid. :glare:

We were supposed to spend the day at the open air Farmer's Market today. No respite from the heat and humidity. Had to nix that and hope we can go this weekend after it cools down a little.

If you have large groups of kids, I think activities need to be modified. My middle daughter fainted during a summer camp activity last year and the doctor said it was heat-related. This was a camp for kids with medical conditions and it did concern me that she became ill (two other kids also had heat-related problems that day). Additionally, this is an out of state camp so I worried.

The camp was very pro-active (they have nurses and doctors at the camp) and quickly modified all activities and made sure that water was always available for all the campers.

I worry a lot about hot days but try not to obsess over them.

Here, not worried at all. When we lived in AZ it was difficult to go out at all between April and October.

I don't think I ever knew you were from AZ. That must have been a huge change for you!

I am in the deep south, so hot and humid is fairly typical weather.

For our own family, we do go out in it - but we also take plenty of drinks, dress accordingly, pack cold bandanas to put around our necks, wear sunscreen and a hat, etc.

We had a four-hour outside class last month and I was shocked at how many parents didn't pack more than a small drink for their children. :001_huh: Thankfully, I always pack extras, so I was able to give some of the children something to drink.

I was actually shocked on many levels at this class. According to paperwork, parents are to stay on property. But then they had waiver/forms the day of the class, in case the parents needed to leave. Three or four mothers stayed, the rest left.

The instructors asked every parent dropping off, "Did you pack extra fluids? It is to be 95 degrees today and they will need plenty to drink." I was standing right there by this one mother when she said her son had plenty to drink. What did he have? One 8 oz bottle of water - for four hours outside when temps were near 100.

It would have been fine for my family. It really depends on a person's health, hydration and acclimation to climate. I intentionally build up exposure during to summer meaning when we had 90 degree days in May with high humidity we had shorter hikes but with this week of 90+ days we are very active outside.

We would never go outside if heat were in issue.:confused:

Dd just spent 5 hours at a track meet, and she will do it again on Sat. My kids don't just go out in it, they run hard in it.

That said, I start hydrating them the night before a day like today when I know they will be out for an extended amount of time.

That would not touch my radar. My son plays brutal three hour tennis matches in high heat and humidity (not that I would recommend that).

Heat and humidity can be dangerous, but people in my neck of the woods have worked in fields for generations in that kind of heat. I actually would be concerned about a child who was intensely bothered by it. One does get used to things, though. If you live in a very cool climate or spend a lot of time inside, I would be more watchful.

That said, I am vigilant about hydration and sunscreen. Absolutely vigilant. And I also watch closely for problems when they are really exerting themselves.

Edited by Danestress

I would be concerned. We tend to limit outdoor activities in the summer.

I'm use to the heat, but even I am careful to pay attention to my body. I've had times when I knew I wasn't drinking enough water or had been out too long.

Being in excessive heat can be dangerous. We don't have the humidity here, but staying hydrated is a must. We are very careful in hot weather to avoid too much exposure, dress appropriately, and always carry lots of water.

Knowing the signs of dehydration, even when it's slight, is important. I'm not a fearful person, but people really do die of heatstroke. Often because they don't realize how quickly their body can become overheated.

I think it would depend on the kid or person.

That kind of heat wouldn't have bothered me now or as a kid. My husband got heatstroke more than once as a kid and the heat really, really gets to him now.

So far, DS hasn't shown any sign of being as sensitive as my husband, but I go a little far with small babies like DD and keep her out of the dry heat we have here if goes past the low 90s unless absolutely necessary.

A lot.

I overheat very, very easily and always have. Having had a few rounds with heat stroke/exhaustion it is not something I would wish on anyone, let alone my kids. Both boys have exhibited that they have enough of me to be more heat-sensitive so right now we just don't go out during the afternoon. I also make sure that they stay hydrated.

We don't do heat well here. My older daughter ends up collapsing. She can't take hot showers either. My younger daughter usually only swims or dives in the heat and that helps a lot. The only trouble is that often with days of hot weather comes bad air quality days too. Fortunately, we are now in a cleaner part of the country so not quite as often as in the DC area.

As long as there are no known health issues which are triggered by the weather, you have access to water, dress appropriately, and can be in the shade regularly, I don't have any issues.

I have some dietary restrictions if I'm going to be in the heat...and I hate being out in the heat...but we would have gone and taken water, etc.

It would have seemed normal to me. I think a lot of it is what you acclimate to and our environments are generally temp controlled 24/7/365 so we have lost the ability to deal with it. For most(barring med issues) it shouldn't be a problem w/ proper hydration and clothing. We always played outside as kids, no matter what the weather.

I would be perfectly happy if I never saw temps over 80 degrees again. I hate the heat. I hate pools and swimming and most everything that is traditionally done in the summer. If I could, I would hibernate through the summer. The only thing good about it in my opinion is fresh veggies.

I grew up in the deep, deep South with no air conditioning. I make sure my kids drink plenty of water and find shade when they need it, but I think that people are in general more durable that we give them credit for. Of course, I'm sitting in the air conditioning right now. It's hot out there. :D

We had a field trip today that was scheduled weeks ago. The kids spent two hours outside in humid, mid-upper 90-degree weather (about a half hour in the direct sun). I really, really wanted to bail on the trip but decided not to because I felt like I was being a baby about it and believed that the program organizers would modify the schedule to keep the kids outdoors less (they didn't). I was not happy when we arrived and I found out the schedule for the class (hour and a half walk, half hour collecting pond specimens, half hour in the nature center), but we stayed anyway.

Thankfully, the girls did better than I expected, but a few of the kids had a hard time with the heat. Some of the moms were very concerned, but others thought it was really no big deal and that we were concerned for nothing. Do you think this kind of outside time is excessive given the weather? Would you have skipped or rescheduled the class under the circumstances? Would you have requested a curtailed outdoor session?

TIA!

If I had brought water bottles for each person in my family and sunscreen, I'd be fine with it. I would expect other parents to deal with the situation as they feel fit, but would not want the field trip modified if I or someone else did not bring adequate supplies for their own family.

I would worry about my son because he is very sensitive to heat. All my kids are very fair skinned so I worry about a lot of time in the sun as well.

Edited to add: I have asthma and being out in high heat/humidity especially with air quality warnings is very hard for me. We haven't been out the last two days except we went to our pool at 5pm today. The whole pool is in the shade in the late afternoon.

I When I was a kid, I attended Gril Scout camp all summer. Some days were so incredibly hooooooooot, but there was always water play. The couselors also made sure we drank water, sat in the shade, and rested. I don't remember anything bad ever happening to any of us.

Huckleberry Finn adventures, anyone?

Edited by LibraryLover

Mid-90's is nothin' here in Houston :) We are going to Six Flags all day one day next week in San Antonio, and I just looked...supposed to be 107 that day. Now THAT'S hot...not sure how fun it will be, but if you want to go to amusement parks around here, you have to deal with heat.

Edited by mandymom

I think we're a nation of weather wusses. Too cold, too hot. And then we try to make out like its not us being wusses, it's dangerous. For a few people or extreme activity, maybe, but if you're prepared, cowboy up, I say.

:iagree: Turn off the Xbox and go outside! Start with 30 minutes and an iced water bottle. You will live!

It wouldn't occur to me to be concerned about that field trip, unless someone is sensitive to the heat.

Youngest dd had heat induced hives when she was young and it made her want to stay inside during hot weather. I actually think her fear ended up making it worse, because now whenever she gets overheated she breaks out in hives. Perhaps if I had insisted she spend some time outside most days, she would have built up more of a tolerance.

As it is, she went on a paleontology dig earlier this month- to Utah- and had an allergic reaction to the sun that results in hives, itching, etc. Ugh.

Having said that, I kind of agree with Littlebug. Hot weather? Blech.

. The kids spent two hours outside in humid, mid-upper 90-degree weather (about a half hour in the direct sun). I really, really wanted to bail on the trip but decided not to because I felt like I was being a baby about it and believed that the program organizers would modify the schedule to keep the kids outdoors less (they didn't). I was not happy when we arrived and I found out the schedule for the class (hour and a half walk, half hour collecting pond specimens, half hour in the nature center), but we stayed anyway.

I would not have given that a second thought. I mean, wandering around a pond with a bunch of kids in sticky upper-90s heat is certainly not my personal idea of a good time, but my children would have been perfectly fine. I would have slathered them with sunblock beforehand and brought lots of water, though.

OK, thanks everyone. It looks like we're split kind of like our IRL group was! I think I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who doesn't handle heat well either (and didn't even when I was thin :001_huh:). I try to be a good sport, but the reality is that I'm miserable in the heat, and my purple face tends to scare people! So the idea of a surprise 2-hour hike into the woods really threw me when we were all sort of expecting a modified program.

Two kids made it through the hike but ended up going home early because they felt so sick afterward, and my oldest told me later that while she enjoyed what she learned, she wasn't feeling well on the trip but was embarrassed to ask to go back in front of her friends :( Ironically, my youngest, who normally gets nauseated when she can't cool down, did just fine. I may not believe her the next time she complains about it!

Anyway, I think I'll just trust my instincts and research the trip better next time so I'm prepared.

Thanks again!

My children would have have been able to handle that. They were feeling faint today because it got up to 80, with 5% humidity. 85 and we all collapse. Of course, they think of nothing of going out at -15 in shorts... :lol:

:lol: This is us too. All winter long, people are constantly asking us, "Where are your coats?!" I bought both girls heavy PJs and big comforters for last winter because we were keeping the heat down pretty low. They were sweating and miserable at night. They kept the comforters and slept in light PJs, and most nights I found the comforters kicked off. I think we're all just wired oddly (except for my tropical DH, who loves heat and hates winter :lol:).

Edited by melissel

Here, not worried at all. When we lived in AZ it was difficult to go out at all between April and October.

:iagree: here in GA, the high humidity doesn't zap the moisture out of the kids like it does in low humidity areas such as AZ. In AZ, we couldn't be out between the hours of 10am and 5pm without heavy sunblock, a gallon of water and plenty of shade.

Here in GA, no big deal, slap on some sunscreen, bring a bottle of water and we are off!

:iagree: here in GA, the high humidity doesn't zap the moisture out of the kids like it does in low humidity areas such as AZ. In AZ, we couldn't be out between the hours of 10am and 5pm without heavy sunblock, a gallon of water and plenty of shade.

Here in GA, no big deal, slap on some sunscreen, bring a bottle of water and we are off!

I really can't imagine either option! Once, when we were dating, DH booked a trip for us to Miami Beach in August. The heat and humidity were nothing to him, but I was queasy for almost every minute we spent outside the hotel :( He was not happy. Our next trip there was in February and I was happy as a clam :tongue_smilie:

I would not take ds or dd out in that weather. Neither would tolerate it well.

:iagree: We are very heat concious living in the desert as we do. We don't go outside during peak hours (12-4) if we can avoid it. No outside activities this time of year at all. Kids don't do any outside sports this time of year. I mean to say that there are no team sports going on in the summer. We have seasonal sports spring and fall.

We each carry large water bottles with us everywhere and we stop to refill as needed. All stores, theaters, roller rinks, etc. allow us to bring in our bottles. You just can't go without them.

I personally drink almost a gallon of water a day. My dh works outside in the heat and drinks nearly 2 gallons and has a gatorade when he gets home.

Just the way it is here.

Under those circumstances, water available, lots of shade, only two hours and temps under 100, my whole family down to the toddler would do fine and I would not be concerned.

My kids had a water play activity outside today, in 108 degrees. The dew point was up in the 40s, but we generally don't do humidity. There was plentiful filtered water and an air conditioned building available for anyone who needed it.

Disclaimer: We live in AZ, and we've camped in a real tent under the conditions in the OP. :001_smile: Everyone lugs a personal water bottle or cup around, and anything under 100 is fair game for hiking, parties, and such.

Edited by SilverMoon

TIA!

So mid-upper 90s, in the shade, for an hour and a half to two hours? I get that they were walking... but honestly, no, I wouldn't worry about it. I would take a lot of water, and let them pour it on their heads if they wanted (we have soccer players who are used to that sort of thing lol), but no, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Very, very, concerned about heat. Especially for my dd11 who has Mito. She has heat intolerance due to Dysautonomia and any stress on her body can land her in the ER. She starts to "melt" at around 65 degrees. so NC summers are hard on her. She ran a low-grade fever last week, which we think was because she got overheated last Sunday. She also has a hard time staying hydrated. We only stay out in the heat for very short times and sometimes she'll play outside in the evening, if it's cool. We do have a kool-tie but that only does so much for her.

Our other kids do not like the heat either and dehydrate quickly also. We push water and Gatorade all summer and usually wet them down before they go outside if they are going to be out for a little while.

:lol: This is us too. All winter long, people are constantly asking us, "Where are your coats?!" I bought both girls heavy PJs and big comforters for last winter because we were keeping the heat down pretty low. They were sweating and miserable at night. They kept the comforters and slept in light PJs, and most nights I found the comforters kicked off. I think we're all just wired oddly (except for my tropical DH, who loves heat and hates winter :lol:).

I definitely get it! MIL is always wondering where our coats are in the winter, but it feels good to me!

As long as they had sunscreen and water to drink, I would be fine. Heat doesn't seem to bother my kids. If it were a very physical thing, like a soccer game, I might be a little worried.

However, I hate the heat so I might have rethought the trip based on that alone. ;)

The first thing I'd be most concerned about is how hydrated *my* kids were and how I know how *my* kids do in heat. I say that, because I really think different kids can handle heat differently.

The second concern would be the time. You say it was only a half hour in the direct sun. For my kids, yes, that would have been fine.

My kids were running around in 107* yesterday in the direct sun for about 30 minutes. They were not as hydrated as I like, so I called an end after the half hour. On a normal day, if they had sunscreen on, they probably could have stayed longer. When the temps get extreme, I really think each person should be considered on a case-by-case basis.

:iagree: It has been over 100 the last couple of days here, and two of my kids do very well with the heat as long as they have water, but my middle child needs more water than most and dehydrates easily. We generally do not go out everyday on high temps, but once in awhile if we hydrate well the day before is not a big deal for us.

Depends on the individual child.

Our youngest DS overheats VERY fast and still doesn't quite recognize how he's feeling until it is too late. So I am pretty cautious with him.

Other DS does fine in heat. Doesn't necessarily like it, but is good to stop when he needs to and always in drinking a lot. Can handle it well.

DD is from a much cooler climate. The heat has been a real shock to her! She is learning how to tolerate it, but it isn't easy for her yet. It took my husband and I about two summers before we got used to it when we moved down South.

It doesn't concern me at all if there is plenty water to drink and access to shade when needed. I have a son who will play basketball all day in this heat. Water is good.:001_smile:

:iagree:We'd spend most of our time from May to September indoors if we couldn't go out in that weather.