Menu

If have one "mantra" that drives your parenting philosophy...

...what is it?

Please don't count Scripture.

Thanks, and interested in seeing the results...

SuperDad (who really likes CM's "children are persons" thing but isn't sure if it's the "one"... I'm shopping for a parenting mantra like some people shop for wedding dresses :D).

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one will die.

Stolen from, of all people, Ted Allen (who said it during a Queer Eye for the Straight Guy makeover while watching somebody mess up a marinade). Helps me keep things in perspective.

HA! I said this to my eldest today. She insists that she almost died from "the maths" today. ;)

This too shall pass.

I like this. It was one of my grandmother's favorite sayings.

Mine would be: Just stay calm. The situation only goes downhill if we don't remain calm.

This may be what you are considering scripture, but I have to go with "Grace". I agree with pp that any parenting philosophy I would hold to would have to be grounded in scripture.

...what is it?

Please don't count Scripture.

Thanks, and interested in seeing the results...

SuperDad (who really likes CM's "children are persons" thing but isn't sure if it's the "one"... I'm shopping for a parenting mantra like some people shop for wedding dresses :D).

Which scripture would you like excluded? All? Christian Bible, Book of Mormon, Quran, Tanakh, Buddhist sutras, Hindu Vedas, the Guru Granth Sahib, Tao te Ching...

Do you believe there is no worthy maxim in any of these (or other) ancient and sacred texts?

Which scripture would you like excluded? All? Christian Bible, Book of Mormon, Quran, Tanakh, Buddhist sutras, Hindu Vedas, the Guru Granth Sahib, Tao te Ching...

Do you believe there is no worthy maxim in any of these (or other) ancient and sacred texts?

:chillpill:...maybe they don't like it, or believe in it. No need to challenge, it's not your call. I am a christian, btw.

:chillpill:...maybe they don't like it, or believe in it. No need to challenge, it's not your call. I am a christian, btw.

I don't need a chill pill. I'm not excited in the least. Neither am I challenging anyone or trying to make a call for anyone else. I'm merely trying to find out if the OP meant to refer to any particular scripture, or if he meant all scripture, so I can answer the question. I am also a Christian, but my Number One parenting mantra does not come from my Holy Scriptures but from another culture's.

I agree. Either the OP isn't interested in religious mantras, OR knows all applicable Scriptures and is trying to put things into more easily remembered nutshell. OP didn't say the basis of the mantra couldn't be Scripture, just not Scripture itself. (Oh, and I suppose there could be other options, too, for why this request was made.)

Keep calm. Carry on.

Why, if you don't mind? Scripture is the foundation that any "mantra" I could have would be built on.

Oh, no, I definitely believe in Scripture. Scripture drives everything that I do, say, choose, and believe. So for me, the first answer to a question like this would be a Scripture quote. But I've already studied Scripture and I feel like I have a good grasp of how it is directing me to raise my children. I want to explore other ideas. Does that make any sense? Sorry... I'm low on coffee right now.

I'm raising people.

I like this.

Children are washable.

I was raised in a home where messes were not allowed and I was not allowed to be dirty, ever. I'm pretty sure my kids learn best when covered in some form of goo, so I have to remind myself often that they are washable. It also means that whatever is bugging me is probably trivial and will be 'washed away' later and forgotten, so chill out.

When the kids were younger it was along the lines of "family harmony first". This was most important for all of us in the early hsing days. Now we seem to have that covered. :001_smile:

I have moved on to something closer to "challenge ourselves to go beyond what is easy".

due to the circumstances in which I was raised:

It was imperative to me my kids grew up knowing with absolute certainty they were loved for who they are. (made it easier to teach them Heavenly Father loved them even more than I did.;)) Four are now adults, and we have a great relationship. What gives me even more joy is watching my kids interact with, love, support and have fun with, each other.

This too shall pass.

This is my life mantra. :tongue_smilie:

It will be all right in the end. If it is not all right; it is not the end.

-Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Amber in SJ

I like this one too.

Don't sweat the small stuff. And, by the way, it is all small stuff.

Most days I even remember.

and this one.

Children are washable.

I was raised in a home where messes were not allowed and I was not allowed to be dirty, ever. I'm pretty sure my kids learn best when covered in some form of goo, so I have to remind myself often that they are washable. It also means that whatever is bugging me is probably trivial and will be 'washed away' later and forgotten, so chill out.

I often say "That't what soap is for", I say it to my kids, extended family, daycare parents, friends etc. Anytime they comment on a messy craft/game/kid etc I just say "that's what soap is for"

As to the bolded I used to have a poem I gave out to daycare families about that very thing, about dressing kids for true success by having them arrive ready to get messy. My experience with kids is the messier the play, the more they learn/grow from it.