Menu

Weird non-food phobias

I have a lot of ones already mentioned. I get the heebiejeebies from styrofoam and chalk. I also don't like touching soft things with very dry hands, such as fleece blankets in winter. Opening canned biscuits makes me nervous too.

This stems from social anxiety, I'm sure, but I always get a little thrill of panic when the phone rings or someone knocks on the door. I'm not afraid of talking to the person, but the sudden ring/knock startles me.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also hate anything that has tons of small holes that are connected to each other (wasp nests, honey combs, sacs of tadpole eggs). It makes me feel like there are tiny little eyes or something inside each little hole. Weird, I know.

This one actually has a name. It's called trypophobia (I don't recommend looking it up if you have this fear as the first image is usually of a lotus seed pod *shudder*). :D

I have 2 weird ones. Maybe someone knows the name of these phobias.

The first is wind in my mouth. Can't even stand the thought of it! It dries your mouth out and that makes me anxious and jittery and just a freakazoid. It is for this reason I'm addicted (no really, I am their #1 customer!) to Lipsmackers (to keep my lips moist) and will not speak outside on a windy day. I will cover my mouth with my hand. The dentists' hygenists are often very rude when I fight the air hose or suction. Give me a root canal over that blasted suction any day!

The second is some social phobia. I don't like approaching a crowd alone, especially if I know them a bit but I'm not terribly familiar with them. I feel awkward and back in high school. :glare: It has been brought to my attention that while approaching a crowd like this, that I "rang" like a telephone. I'm guessing that it was a nervous tic, but I was completely unaware. They said that I did it every day of that week that we were all together. I seriously had no idea. I was self-talking and telling myself "it's okay, they're just people, you're walking fine, etc." when I may have blanked out for a few seconds. That would be when I "rang". I think this is a hard one to define because it only seems to come out with people who I don't know really well, so they typically don't feel comfortable enough to say anything. Those who know me well wouldn't hear the "ring" because I'm not nervous near them. So weird.

This thread is making me :lol:. (Sorry about that!)

The only one I can identify with so far is the snake phobia (but that's a common one, not a weird one, I think). I have worked very hard to overcome it so as not to teach my dc the same thing & have touched a snake at a local nature center & stood near one as it crossed a path in front of us recently. (And, hey, I didn't scream or run away.) I will say that growing up, as a student, I *never* looked up "S" words in the dictionary, nor did I use the "S" encyclopedia (lest I come across snake pics). :tongue_smilie:

I don't like walking/being near swampy areas for fear of a croc/alligator (no, I don't know the difference between them, nor do I care) lunging out.

This one actually has a name. It's called trypophobia (I don't recommend looking it up if you have this fear as the first image is usually of a lotus seed pod *shudder*). :D

Wow. A real phobia! lol. Okay, I had to look it up. I found this site:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/2011/07/26/do-you-have-trypophobia-unofficial-phobia-might-make-your-skin-crawl/#433-6

Seems like only some things made my skin go all crawly---including that lotus seed pod! I got an actual full on body shiver looking at that thing! Ack! And the eggs on the back of the frog.:ack2: And of course the honeycomb. But the sponges and pores on a human or cheese didn't get me.

Come to NJ!

It's actually against the law to pump your own gas in NJ.

Why?

Huh. You learn something new everyday!

I can't sleep if my feet aren't covered up by a blanket. I know why, when I was very young I was convinced that whatever creepy thing lived under the bed couldn't get me if my feet were protected. By the blanket. Yep. So now, I have to keep them covered or it feels weird.

And the monster can't grab them. :D

And opening Pilsbury dough products. I hate the noise, I hate anticipating it popping, I hate the feel of it popping, and I'm just sure it's going to explode all over me.

I'm like this too! I also can't sleep with any of my arms or legs dangling off of the bed. :tongue_smilie:

I didn't know there were places that still HAD attendants that pumped your gas for you. I have NEVER in all my driving years seen that.

I only see it in southern IN/OH.

I can't sleep if my feet aren't covered up by a blanket. I know why, when I was very young I was convinced that whatever creepy thing lived under the bed couldn't get me if my feet were protected. By the blanket. Yep. So now, I have to keep them covered or it feels weird.

I'm not the only one! I also keep my neck and wrists covered. I even know it's irrational. Like a killer monster couldn't just slash me through a friggin sheet. No idea. I also can't sleep with a closet open. At all. I will not sleep.

You all are making me feel not quite so insane! :lol: If someone else out there does it, I can't be *that* crazy, right? :tongue_smilie:

The sound of crunching when someone is eating - ice, candy, etc. Makes my skin crawl. Yes, I make my children leave the room.

:iagree:this this!!!!!! just made the child leave the room. she was eating CHIPS!!! ACK!!

Come to NJ!

It's actually against the law to pump your own gas in NJ.

Why?

because (I heard) it is a way the state created jobs.

Robin in NJ

Okay. I STILL have goosebumps all over my arms and them is standing up. WHY did I look? lol

I didn't know there were places that still HAD attendants that pumped your gas for you. I have NEVER in all my driving years seen that.

It is actually illegal to pump your own gas here in Oregon. I had the opposite problem - I had never had to pump my own gas. The first time I got gas out of state I sat at the station for 10 minutes before I realized nobody was coming to pump my gas! Then I had to ask someone how to do it!

Eyeballs. Can't put on mascara and freak if I have to use eye drops. I almost fainted in the Ophthalmologist's office when they numbed my eyes and moved that big stick in to pressure test them. When I asked him if a lot of people have this kind of trouble, he said "people who are as fearful as you are about eyes, don't get their eyes checked." I guess that meant that I was the worst he had ever seen.

Can't stand the part in Clockwork Orange when the hold open his eyes with clips. shudder.

Edited by lewelma

Puke. I hate puke, I panic sometimes out of the blue thinking "oh my gosh what if my kid pukes here or pukes in church or pukes at the wedding in 6 weeks" on and on and on. I haven't puked in 10 years. I am scared to death about the next time I might puke. Yes, I am totally puke crazy.

:iagree: But I have you beat. May 9, 1976. Let's see, that's 36 years.

Yes, whenever I am not thinking about something else, it's puke! We're currently on a family vacation and it's always in the back of my mind. We went to San Francisco and did a 1-hour boat tour and sure enough a kid puked on the boat. We are heading to Disneyland in a few days I just know I'll encounter puke. Each time dh heads out on a business trip, I wonder who at home will puke. I always am looking for it. The other day at the store, I heard the cashier telling a (regular?) customer, "Ya feeling better now?" I had just joined the line so didn't hear the beginning of their conversation and immediately thought, "He must've been sick to his stomach." And then the cashier said something like, "That must've been a bad wreck..." Duh...

It's a horrible phobia because you just don't know what the next moment will bring. A knock on the door in the middle of the night, a phone call a half hour before co-op starts, etc.

Oh, and I hate the feel of microfiber cloth.

:iagree: But I have you beat. May 9, 1976. Let's see, that's 36 years.

Yes, whenever I am not thinking about something else, it's puke! We're currently on a family vacation and it's always in the back of my mind. We went to San Francisco and did a 1-hour boat tour and sure enough a kid puked on the boat. We are heading to Disneyland in a few days I just know I'll encounter puke. Each time dh heads out on a business trip, I wonder who at home will puke. I always am looking for it. The other day at the store, I heard the cashier telling a (regular?) customer, "Ya feeling better now?" I had just joined the line so didn't hear the beginning of their conversation and immediately thought, "He must've been sick to his stomach." And then the cashier said something like, "That must've been a bad wreck..." Duh...

It's a horrible phobia because you just don't know what the next moment will bring. A knock on the door in the middle of the night, a phone call a half hour before co-op starts, etc.

Oh, and I hate the feel of microfiber cloth.

I have the vomit phobia too :( It's controlled my life since I was a little girl. It's never gone away or gotten any better. We all had the stomach flu a few months ago and while I didn't throw up, everyone else did and it caused a MASSIVE panic attack in me for several days.

Then I have the "normal" dislikes like when someone else is chewing ice.....HATE that sound.

Microfiber on dry hands

forks stuck together....makes me grind my teeth together!!

nuclear war

earthquakes

I have issues :001_huh:

I'm first aid phobic, particularly CPR phobic. I can handle minor cuts, minor bruises, minor burns and epileptic fits. If you want to damage yourself in some other way, please wait until someone else shows up. :eek:

:iagree: I passed out in front of the class when I had to get my First Aid Certificate for work. :lol: We weren't even actually doing anything at the time -the instructor was just talking about a procedure and suddenly everything went dark :001_huh: So I really hope no one needs First Aid from me because they won't be getting it ;)

I have a weird thing but it's only when I'm pregnant. I can't stand the sight of curly lettuce :lol: The kind with the wriggly edges - it makes my skin crawl and gives me the shivers . It's how I always know I'm pregnant - someone serves me a Ceaser salad with curly lettuce and I start creeping out :lol:

Feet.

I detest them. I do not want anyone touching mine and I do not want anyone's to touch me. No foot to foot touching either. I have even been known to stop teatime with my dh because his foot grazes me. :tongue_smilie:

I can handle baby/little kid's feet until they start looking too much like grown up feet. My dd8 knows not to get her feet anywhere near me. They have reached the "gross" stage for me. My dd4 and ds2 are still a go on the foot touching...for now. :001_smile:

I hate it when people's teeth scrape their forks when they're eating. :ack2: I can feel the ickyness of the metal on my teeth just from hearing it. :eek: I also hate aluminum foil. :ack2: I guess I have issues with metal. :p hehe

I absolutely abhor cockroaches and palmetto bugs too. I can handle any other kind of bug or critter living except those. shudder

Edited by Ibbygirl

And opening Pilsbury dough products. I hate the noise, I hate anticipating it popping, I hate the feel of it popping, and I'm just sure it's going to explode all over me.

No. Way. I can't believe I've found someone else who can't open a Pillsbury can. I have to ask a dd to do it and I can't even stay in the room. You are not alone! Are you also afraid of balloons popping? I can barely be in a room with helium balloons.

And the covered feet thing.....when I was a little kid, my dad and I watched the original movie of The Blob on our tiny black and white TV, and I was so terrified that the blob was going to come out from under the foot of my bed and engulf me that I slept in socks until I went away to college. Not that I was still scared at that point......not really....:tongue_smilie:

Puke. I hate puke, I panic sometimes out of the blue thinking "oh my gosh what if my kid pukes here or pukes in church or pukes at the wedding in 6 weeks" on and on and on. I haven't puked in 10 years. I am scared to death about the next time I might puke. Yes, I am totally puke crazy.

I also HATE wet toilet paper or tissues. Makes me gag and I dont like to gag because....then I might puke :001_huh:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

My phobia of vomit (emetophobia) actually got to the point where they had to prescribe me Celexa. I was constantly scared of stomach flu/food poisoning. It is still always in the back of my mind, but not eating away at me as much. It is a horrible fear :grouphug:

The last time I puked was in June after nose surgery and really, it wasn't that bad. It is just the fear of the extreme nausea/loss of control.

:iagree: with both of these, too.

My hands must be covered as well. When I was little, my whole body had to be covered (except head) so in the Summer time I would wake up drenched in sweat.

One Pilsbury dough can DID explode on me because it was expired (didn't think to check), but I was scared before that happened.

Edited by BeatleMania

Crowded places....I just can't stand the idea of strangers rubbing against me....:tongue_smilie:Blech!!!

Loud unexpected noises can and have made me faint....think tipping goats.

My mom's blood....my dh's blood. I can deal with anyone else's blood....but when it is them....call the spatula team!

walking into spider webs ....which happens outside on the porch after a nice warm night. They love our porch. I go out with a broom in front of me....and I don't care if I do look like a lunatic.

Oh, crazy people. I am terrified of crazies.....what is funny is that I am a crazy magnet. They push through crowds to get to me....I think maybe God is teaching me to love them though, because I just can't get away....the crazies follow and somehow become dh's friends......( did I mention I happen to be a bit crazy??)

Edited by Mommyfaithe

The Pillsbury people are cracking me up. Dh is like that, scared to death of the popping. Just yesterday we were making something for church that required opening a bunch of biscuit cans. I noticed that they all seemed less "poppy" than usual (it took a lot more to get them to open) and remarked that maybe there was a whole cohort of people scared by the popping that had been lobbying Pillsbury for less poppy containers. I have to admit I was just enjoying mocking him....but now I'm wondering if maybe it's true. :)

Mice in particular, all rodents in general. Reptiles, too. Flying roaches.

Birds flying in a building (pet or wild) except in the big warehouse stores like Home Depot b/c the ceilings are very high.

Clowns.

Scary movies or tv shows.

Ugly furniture gives me the creeps -- I can hardly stand to peruse Craig's List because of that because I get nauseated.

Eyeballs. Can't put on mascara and freak if I have to use eye drops. I almost fainted in the Ophthalmologist's office when they numbed my eyes and moved that big stick in to pressure test them. When I asked him if a lot of people have this kind of trouble, he said "people who are as fearful as you are about eyes, don't get their eyes checked." I guess that meant that I was the worst he had ever seen.

Can't stand the part in Clockwork Orange when the hold open his eyes with clips. shudder.

My friend is creeped out by eyeballs, too! When I was pregnant, he told me it made him sick to think that there was a pair of eyeballs growing in my stomach.

Wow, you guys reminded me how many issues I have.

Eyes, worms, snakes, the biting/scraping of utensils in one's mouth, and crunching, smacking, chewing noises (including gum--when people pop/crack their gum I want to vomit). Oh, and feet. I don't want to look at your feet, and I don't want to hear your feet--please pick up your feet when you walk (no shuffling).

You are not the only one. I totally have to cover my feet! I used to have dreams when I was a kid that a witch was at the end of my bed ready to grab my feet. But somehow, the trusty old blanket would keep her away!

I know better now...but I still cover my feet!!!

I think I am glad I can only think of a few things.

Someone cracking their fingers. I can handle cracking backs, necks (though it kind of freaks me out personally), feet...anything else. But knuckles? No way.

I get slightly panicky in crowded malls.

I have an irrational fear of being in a tunnel that goes underwater.

There are probably others, but they must not be that horrible. :D

:iagree: All of these for me. For sure.

Plus:

Driving on bridges over water. I literally have to talk myself through it.

Vines. Specifically, I think that since they're alive they could wrap themselves around my feet and legs and devour me.

The sound of people chewing makes me want to hurl. Even my own chewing if it's something gross, like a banana. :ack2:

I'm like this too! I also can't sleep with any of my arms or legs dangling off of the bed. :tongue_smilie:

How could I have forgotten this one? You certainly cannot let anything dangle over the bed, or IT will get you. (And no, I have no idea what IT is, but I'm not going to leave my feet just dangling there for IT to get. No way, no how).

The Pillsbury people are cracking me up. Dh is like that, scared to death of the popping. Just yesterday we were making something for church that required opening a bunch of biscuit cans. I noticed that they all seemed less "poppy" than usual (it took a lot more to get them to open) and remarked that maybe there was a whole cohort of people scared by the popping that had been lobbying Pillsbury for less poppy containers. I have to admit I was just enjoying mocking him....but now I'm wondering if maybe it's true. :)

We hardly ever eat Pillsbury (perhaps because of my pop-o-phobia?), but I might just be one of those people who would lobby. With signs.

My friend is creeped out by eyeballs, too! When I was pregnant, he told me it made him sick to think that there was a pair of eyeballs growing in my stomach.

:lol: Like there were just these two eyeballs floating around in there! Hello there, other eyeball! How are you? Oh, just fine. Float, float, float....

Driving on bridges over water. I literally have to talk myself through it.

The sound of people chewing makes me want to hurl. Even my own chewing if it's something gross, like a banana. :ack2:

Driving on bridges terrifies me. I white-knuckle the steering wheel and stare straight ahead. I'm also afraid when I'm the passenger.

Not chewing in general, but crunching. I can't stand that Kit-Kat commercial with everyone crunching a Kit-Kat bar.

Whistling. It's the one thing Sheldon (Big Bang Theory) and I have in common. It hurts my ears and makes me shudder.

Saliva really grosses me out--especially if it's someone else's and it's dripping. Bobbing for apples is out of the question, as is licking someone else's lollipop. I have been able to lick my own small child's ice-cream cone to keep it from dripping, though.

I don't have any phobias though I don't like things in the wrong place like mice in the house. But I deal with it rationally. So what do I get? Three phobic children. I don't get it at all and it is rather annoying at times. Like when last week, older dd totally freaked out that a spider walked over her foot. It was night time, I was asleep, and I went and killed the spider. She continued to have a freak out panic attack on top of the closed toilet seat. She could at least realize it was totally irrational.

One thing I really hate is disorganized stores. I hate these so much that I never shop at them, no matter how much I could save. I don't have a fear of them, I just hate the mess. I am specifically thinking of stores like Tj Max or other discounters where all the clothes are jumbled on the racks and you are supposed to browse through all the shirts or all the shorts or whatever you are looking at. I like well ordered racks or shelves with identical products next to each other. I can even take well ordered thrift shops where they put all white shirts together, all jeans together, all suits together, etc, nicely arranged by size. I also hate messy grocery stores. They seem unclean to me and totally unappetizing.