Menu

Weird non-food phobias

Yes. This one too! :ack2: I start getting white knuckles in the waiting room when I hear the whirring of that drill thingy. :svengo:

For me, it's the blasted suction thing. Keep it out of my mouth. I practice my Judo moves in my head on the hygienist when she's doing that...helps relieve my stress.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, I am terrified of heights, wooden bridges, and the Ferris Wheel. My poor kids would never go on fair rides if it weren't for dh!

Oh I have this too except for the wooden bridges. That one doesn't scare me maybe because we don't have them here. :D My legs start to tremble and shake if I get too high. I remember once when I was a kid, my mom had taken my brother and me to the mall and they had walked up the stairs already and were at the top and my mom was yelling at me to come up the stairs. I was pretty tiny at the time, maybe kindergarten aged can't remember exactly, but I remember so vividly taking like 5 steps and then my legs just started trembling horribly. My mom was yelling at me to hurry up and get up there, but I just couldn't do it. I had to get down and start crawling up to which she came back down the stairs and picked me up and carried me up. I just can't do tall heights.

I also hate anything over my head. Like those tube things they have on playgrounds. I can't go in those things. When I used to SCUBA dive, I could never do caves or even coral tunnels. Just no.... nothing over my head. :tongue_smilie:

I have a serious dentist phobia. I hadn't had a cleaning in years, and went last year. I cried through the entire thing. I just wish they would knock me out. I nearly hyperventilated in the waiting room, and my husband sent me out to the car because I was freaking out the kids.

I am terrified of mice. And the thought of mice, and opening the cabinet under the sink because we have had mice in there, and getting my feet too close the stove because a mouse could run out, and being downstairs alone at night because there might be mice, and anything that moves out of the lower corner of my eye, it might be a mouse too. I have had the girls hide under the table and roll a small ball across the floor just as I walked in just to see me totally lose it. I had one run out from under our piano once and fainted dead away. It is the only thing I hate about living in the country. If it weren't for my daughters cat phobia, we would have at least one in the house. We have 4 barn cats, so I am less afraid of the barn than I am my own kitchen:tongue_smilie:

How could I have forgotten this one? You certainly cannot let anything dangle over the bed, or IT will get you. (And no, I have no idea what IT is, but I'm not going to leave my feet just dangling there for IT to get. No way, no how).

IT sometimes appears as Pennywise the clown, sometimes as a giant spider thing... It is as old as time and wants nothing else than to devour you.

Brrrrrrrrrr. That book gave me nightmares.

It is actually illegal to pump your own gas here in Oregon. I had the opposite problem - I had never had to pump my own gas. The first time I got gas out of state I sat at the station for 10 minutes before I realized nobody was coming to pump my gas! Then I had to ask someone how to do it!

:lol:

It's not a phobia, but doing any craft that involves styrofoam, especially cutting it, gives me the heebie-jeebies. :tongue_smilie:

I also hate cheap trade paperbacks and refuse to read them. The scratchy paper makes me nuts!

Edited by WordGirl

I cringe at just the thought of touching microfiber cleaning cloths. I also hate touching nylon fabric, especially if it has "pilled." Ugh!

Teeth touching wood, chalk, other dry stuff makes me salivate and not in a good way. Egads!

A manicurist (or even me) poking at my cuticles sends shivers up my spine. Eeek!

I love this thread!

I have to have my wrists covered in bed and can never have them inner wrist exposed for long periods of time anytime. I also fear bugs crawling in my ears and have to have hair or covers over them while I sleep.

Deep dark water and the vastness of space creep me out.

Popsicle sticks and metal on metal...SHIVER. I can't stand to sand wood with sandpaper...all that dryness....ick. Powder on my hands drying them all out...ick!

Sunlight...beating down on me.... It is too hot, too bright, and damaging. Bright lights in general make me feel naked and exposed. Social phobia thing!