Menu

Weird non-food phobias

Things that you can't bear, that give you the nails-on-blackboard feeling, or that scare you.

I hate it when people tear tissues/Kleenex. It makes me shudder - it's almost painful. And what did our dog decide to do when pregnant and nesting? Yes, get into waste-paper bins and tear up tissues. It's worse if I watch it happening, but even thinking about it sends shivers down my spine.

How about you?

Laura

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Centipedes terrify me to the point of panic attacks. I can't even describe how much I dislike them!

As far as the fingers on the chalkboard feeling - it would be when people clink their forks against their teeth, actually biting their fork (I have a friend who does this).

Also metal on metal sounds - so scraping a pan with a knife, etc. Those scrrechy metal sounds bother me!

I'm first aid phobic, particularly CPR phobic. I can handle minor cuts, minor bruises, minor burns and epileptic fits. If you want to damage yourself in some other way, please wait until someone else shows up. :eek:

Ever since getting pregnant with dd, I get nasty sensory feelings about icy pole sticks. When I was younger, it was only corrigated cardboard. Ugh..

Rosie

The feel of velvet or fake velvet. Just touching it makes my skin crawl and my teeth actually feel weird, almost painful.

I always feel a little panicky when leaving a professional sports game in a large crowd. Given some behavior I've seen I'm not sure if that's weird or not though. :glare:

Styrofoam..the feel of it, the squeaky sound it makes when it's moved. Gives me the willies just thinking about it.

Wet hair. Not on my head, but in the tub, on the side of the sink, and god forbid I see it in the pool (private community pool)...I'm out of the pool for a good week when that happens. Makes me gag literally.

What exactly do you mean by this? People touching their own navels? Touching other people's navels? Navel to navel contact? :tongue_smilie:

STOP SAYING IT!

Any kind. You touch yours, touch mine, touch someone else's, I'm outa there.

Seriously. I've dug people's random body parts out of strange places, cared for the mangled parts left. I will decompess your chest, try to stop your arterial bleed, change your diaper, clean you... You pull your belly ring out? I'll pass out cold.

Oh, and I really, really don't like the feel of wet acrylic fabric. :ack2:

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

STOP SAYING IT!

Seriously. I've dug people's random body parts out of strange places, cared for the mangled parts left. I will decompess your chest, try to stop your arterial bleed, change your diaper, clean you... You pull your belly ring out? I'll pass out cold.

Oh. My. WORD.

I just literally lol'd. :D

Snakes, pictures of snakes, anything snake related.

Also teeth as in the wiggling and losing of baby teeth. I can't stand it. Don't ask me why...it's a mental disability or something. All of the children have had to go to DH when it was tooth losing time or they were allowed to bring the tooth to me without discussing their experience or the bloody whole in their gum. I just.don't.want.to.know.

Faith

This is so funny to read. :tongue_smilie:

My DDs both have sensory issues:

DD1 can't stand any fabric that feels "slick" to her (silk, polyester, etc.) and hates to hear the slick fabric rub against itself

DD2 can't stand touching any type of fleece

Snakes, pictures of snakes, anything snake related.

Also teeth as in the wiggling and losing of baby teeth. I can't stand it. Don't ask me why...it's a mental disability or something. All of the children have had to go to DH when it was tooth losing time or they were allowed to bring the tooth to me without discussing their experience or the bloody whole in their gum. I just.don't.want.to.know.

Faith

:iagree::iagree: The teeth freak me out! I didn't lie to my kids when I told them I wasn't the tooth fairy. No way, no how!!

Styrofoam..the feel of it, the squeaky sound it makes when it's moved. Gives me the willies just thinking about it.

Wet hair. Not on my head, but in the tub, on the side of the sink, and god forbid I see it in the pool (private community pool)...I'm out of the pool for a good week when that happens. Makes me gag literally.

:iagree: And this. Styrofoam squeak is awful! And I agree w/ the hair in the pool too. Ewwwwwww!

Toilet paper in the toilet bowl. Any kind of wet tissues make me gag. I have to use washcloths or antibacterial wipes, I cannot use wet toilet paper or paper towel.

Also, wet hair. It sticks to you and takes forever to come off.

Scraping silverware across dishes/teeth. Gives me goosebumps.

ETA: Also, loud noises. A motorcycle or fire truck passing by make me queasy.

Edited by BeatleMania

I think this one might win. :D

Edited to add: Oh my! I couldn't contain my curiosity and did a Google search on "fear of naval touching" and IT HAS A NAME:

Omphalophobia

Related to omphaloskepsis, the pondering of one's navel. (which I find annoying when my children are doing it, but do not find faint-inducing. :tongue_smilie:)

My kids are great at doing a spider walk with their fingers. They are forbidden to do it to me because it totally creeps me out. Real spiders? I can handle them. Just not the crawly feeling.

Deep water that I cannot see the bottom of. I just KNOW there is something lurking beneath me.

Every two months I have to get an infusion of Remicade. You know how they tap your inner arm to find a vein? Completely freaks me out. I have to concentrate hard not to pull my arm away. I don't care how they dig around with a needle or how many times they have to jab me, JUST DON'T TAP TAP TAP TAP!!

Every two months I have to get an infusion of Remicade. You know how they tap your inner arm to find a vein? Completely freaks me out. I have to concentrate hard not to pull my arm away. I don't care how they dig around with a needle or how many times they have to jab me, JUST DON'T TAP TAP TAP TAP!!

HEY! That's YOU in your avatar! :D

Getting shocked-I even make my kids open freezer doors for me at the store. I have a mini panic attack if I have to open one. Dh did note that I do get shocked uncommonly often and uncommonly hard-you can see the sparks. He chalks it up to my crazy large salt intake.

Worms-my mother is literally phobic and so am I. She taught me to be. :glare: I will scream, cry and have a literal panic attack if I get near one. I love to garden, so that can be awkward. I feel the same about slugs and other things without arms & legs, like maggots.

Many sounds-I've had 2 ear surgeries, so my ears are sensitive.

Little dogs-they attack me every friggin time. I will carry wasps outside to safety but I will jump up on the couch if a little dog comes near me.

White dogs-I have been bitten or attacked by every white dog I have ever been within 10 feet of. Seriously. I will cross the street to get away from them and would never ever own one.

Anyone being hurt in the eyes. I have contacts but get seriously ill if someone gets their eye hurt IRL or in movies. I can watch brain surgery in person no problem, but eyes freak me out.

Anyone touching my ears. See above about ear surgeries. I get panic attacks.

Wow. I am crazy. :lol:

Dry-fit clothing. It doesn't scare me :), but the texture of it gives me the nails-on-chalkboard feeling.

I like to work out in work-out clothing, but it is difficult to find the styles I like with enough cotton in it to be tolerable and enough other stuff to be stretchy.

Cotten balls, especially in aspirin bottles.

Corrugated cardboard. I am getting better at tolerating it.

I have issues with chemicals. We came home from vacation and someone at my office had cleaned with Pine Sol, evidently because I wasn't there to stop her. I walked into my office and cried. I realize I have a problem.

Air fresheners and febreeze products. See above.

Scented candles.

Pruney fingers. Can't. Stand. It. Whatsoever.

If I'm in the pool and my hands are pruney, I can't touch anyone. If my kids want to play I can't touch them, but will use my arms. I could never, ever be a swim lesson instructor.

In the bath, I keep my feet and hands out of the water if I am soaking.

Yes, I look rediculous when my hands are pruney. :lol:

STOP SAYING IT!

I know a guy who told me that if anyone touched his belly button, he would stop breathing. He literally would STOP inhaling air.

Getting shocked-I even make my kids open freezer doors for me at the store. I have a mini panic attack if I have to open one. Dh did note that I do get shocked uncommonly often and uncommonly hard-you can see the sparks. He chalks it up to my crazy large salt intake.

Worms-my mother is literally phobic and so am I. She taught me to be. :glare: I will scream, cry and have a literal panic attack if I get near one. I love to garden, so that can be awkward. I feel the same about slugs and other things without arms & legs, like maggots.

Many sounds-I've had 2 ear surgeries, so my ears are sensitive.

Little dogs-they attack me every friggin time. I will carry wasps outside to safety but I will jump up on the couch if a little dog comes near me.

White dogs-I have been bitten or attacked by every white dog I have ever been within 10 feet of. Seriously. I will cross the street to get away from them and would never ever own one.

Anyone being hurt in the eyes. I have contacts but get seriously ill if someone gets their eye hurt IRL or in movies. I can watch brain surgery in person no problem, but eyes freak me out.

Anyone touching my ears. See above about ear surgeries. I get panic attacks.

Wow. I am crazy. :lol:

My DH and my FIL are like this. If you touch their ears they get MAD. Neither has ever had any ear surgeries though.

As for me, I hate crumpled up napkins. When I use my napkin, I fold it over and when I need a clean spot, I fold it again. Crumpled napkins give me the willies. I HATE to clean them up and I waited tables for nine years. I would either get a clean unfolded napkin to drape over it to pick it up or use something else on the table to knock it into the bus tub. At home, I recruit the children to get them. :tongue_smilie:

I also hate anything that has tons of small holes that are connected to each other (wasp nests, honey combs, sacs of tadpole eggs). It makes me feel like there are tiny little eyes or something inside each little hole. Weird, I know.

I will not swim in water that I cannot see the bottom. Pools only. This is because I nearly drown several times as a child. In fact, even though I can swim, I don't go any deeper in any body of water than chest level where I can firmly plant my feet on the bottom if necessary.

Food in the sink weirds me out as well. The stuff that catches in the strainer in the drain after you wash dishes. We don't have a garbage disposal or a dishwasher and I get pretty upset when people don't scrape their plates properly before putting them in the sink.

I cannot sleep with my back to the door of the room. This comes from a pretty traumatic childhood though.

I should probably stop listing mine now before everyone thinks I'm a wackadoodle. lol

I think I am glad I can only think of a few things.

Someone cracking their fingers. I can handle cracking backs, necks (though it kind of freaks me out personally), feet...anything else. But knuckles? No way.

I get slightly panicky in crowded malls.

I have an irrational fear of being in a tunnel that goes underwater.

There are probably others, but they must not be that horrible. :D

That thin wire "explorer "thing that dentists use to tap and pick your teeth .It makes my teeth and spine ache. I have enough anxiety about getting dental work and that just makes it 10 times worse. Even with Valium and the Nos mask it still hurts and makes me wince. And I have to go in on Wednesday :glare:

Other things include those stairs you can see through (the flat part is there but the riser is gone, I am convinced that it will collapse under me, ) wasps / bees / hornets, and bridges / heights.

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

:svengo: Sorry. LOL

Navel touching.

Shudder.

I cannot stand to have anyone touch my navel! I don't have an issue touching other peoples, though.

I am completely and irrationally driven to panic by gas station attendants pumping my gas for me. It was an incredible relief when credit card pumps became common. I do a lot of deep breathing in New Jersey and probably only stop for gas there bc it's so darn cheap and my frugal side of me overrides the panic. If I'm driving and dh is in the car I will actually jump out and let him take the seat (and run in for a Diet Coke )rather than hand the man my credit card and speak to him. Is that crazy or what?

I hate chalk and chalky things like Altoids mints. I can barely even touch chalk without getting a full-body shiver. But I'm getting a bit better - I discovered that sidewalk chalk, or basically any fat piece of chalk, isn't so bad. Which is a good thing, because we have a HUGE chalkboard in our entryway (former school chalkboard I got at a thrift store for 98 cents!) and I like to write quotes and other things on it. So, I'm a recovering chalk-o-phobic, but I believe I will always have a problem.

I also can't stand to see the seeds from stone fruit (apricots, cherries, olives, etc) on people's plates. As a kid, I would cover these up with napkins on the plates of my family members because it made me feel nauseated to look at them.

I love quirky threads like this. :)

Edited by Alphabetika

Puke. I hate puke, I panic sometimes out of the blue thinking "oh my gosh what if my kid pukes here or pukes in church or pukes at the wedding in 6 weeks" on and on and on. I haven't puked in 10 years. I am scared to death about the next time I might puke. Yes, I am totally puke crazy.

I also HATE wet toilet paper or tissues. Makes me gag and I dont like to gag because....then I might puke :001_huh:

STOP SAYING IT!

:lol:

Ever looked closely at the underside of a fern? :001_huh: It makes my skin crawl.

:lol:

Deep water that I cannot see the bottom of. I just KNOW there is something lurking beneath me.

Mystery water. Lakes, rivers, oceans. I don't DO mystery water.:glare:

~shudder~ yes, this exactly. Also the sound of cotton balls being torn; plastic that has been bubbled by heat--for some reason it grosses me out, even though I know it makes no sense. :tongue_smilie:

I cannot stand to have anyone touch my navel! I don't have an issue touching other peoples, though.

I am completely and irrationally driven to panic by gas station attendants pumping my gas for me. It was an incredible relief when credit card pumps became common. I do a lot of deep breathing in New Jersey and probably only stop for gas there bc it's so darn cheap and my frugal side of me overrides the panic. If I'm driving and dh is in the car I will actually jump out and let him take the seat (and run in for a Diet Coke )rather than hand the man my credit card and speak to him. Is that crazy or what?

I didn't know there were places that still HAD attendants that pumped your gas for you. I have NEVER in all my driving years seen that.

I can't sleep if my feet aren't covered up by a blanket. I know why, when I was very young I was convinced that whatever creepy thing lived under the bed couldn't get me if my feet were protected. By the blanket. Yep. So now, I have to keep them covered or it feels weird.

And the monster can't grab them. :D

And opening Pilsbury dough products. I hate the noise, I hate anticipating it popping, I hate the feel of it popping, and I'm just sure it's going to explode all over me.