Menu

You are a seventeen year old male...

You see a container of homemade meat sauce for pasta. A full quart.

Why is it appropriate to think "midnight snack" and eat the whole thing. Yes, the whole thing. Why does dad think this is ok, even though we are supposed to budget.

Why are you bewildered that mom is mad.

When will you think "there's a lot here. This must be tomorrow's dinner."

:grouphug:

He's seventeen. And a male. That pretty much explains it.

:grouphug:

Sorry for the used up dinner, though. We have a very firm rule of "ask before getting into leftovers" for this very reason, and mine aren't even that old yet.

Sorry too that your dh is not understanding about it.

One more :grouphug: for good measure.

17 y.o. males cannot think or reason until they are full......he had no ability to analyze the situation......he was hungry.

e:

This.

Label things that are not to be touched, or specify what they can have as snacks, but do not expect a hungry teen to think.

Why is it appropriate to think "midnight snack" and eat the whole thing. Yes, the whole thing. Why does dad think this is ok, even though we are supposed to budget.

I would be annoyed about the ruined dinner plans. That's annoying!

But you can't really be mad about the budget. The kid has to eat, and calorie for calorie, homemade meat sauce is probably more economical than a lot of things he could have chosen.

Sorry about dinner!

YIKES! I better start stocking up the pantry shelves before my sons become teenagers. My kids are so finicky, I cannot imagine them eating that much of anything.

My finicky kid, the one who eats mostly just plain carbs (rice, bread, pasta), is now almost twelve. I always hoped his pickiness meant I wouldn't have this problem. Nope. I discovered when I left him alone with a freezer full of bread that he can go through two loaves of bread in four hours.

The kid has to eat, and calorie for calorie, homemade meat sauce is probably more economical than a lot of things he could have chosen.

Sorry about dinner!

:iagree: My brother used to take a whole large box of cereal and a gallon of milk and a bowl and keep pouring until the cereal and the milk were both gone. He would also eat a whole large pizza and a 2 liter of pop by himself in one sitting. So, a jar of meat sauce is pretty cheap. :tongue_smilie:

When his wife refuses a tea party for two weeks because he messed up the dinner party menu.

Or he may not even get it then. Some males remain clueless forever! :lol:

Why is it appropriate to think "midnight snack" and eat the whole thing. Yes, the whole thing.

HUUUUUNGRRRYYYYYY

Why does dad think this is ok, even though we are supposed to budget.

Dad was once a teen boy.

Because HUUUUUUUNGRRRYYY is important.

When not HUUUUUNNNNNNGGGRRRYYYY

YIKES! I better start stocking up the pantry shelves before my sons become teenagers. My kids are so finicky, I cannot imagine them eating that much of anything. He sounds like a healthy 17 year old, but I understand your feelings. I hate having to come up with a back up dinner plan:).

My uncle actually did this. It didn't work. My cousins simply removed the hinges and replaced the door when they were finished foraging.:D

I feel your pain. My ds ate a pound of bacon that I had precooked and left in the fridge last summer. I asked him why he ate the whole baggie full and all he could say was after the first bite, he just couldn't stop.

Well..I can understand that.

I am bewildered by the meat sauce though, did he just drink it? Eat it on a sandwich? How did he eat it?

Post the menu plan on the fridge and stock up on budget friendly foods for him to eat. Teenagers, especially males, will have days where they eat enough to feed a family of 4 or 5 non-teen adults. I recall (as a non-obese, active teen) eating an entire pizza AND two plates of pasta PLUS salads containing a whole head of lettuce in an afternoon and evening. I grew many inches that year. :001_smile: Now, a smallish plate of pasta OR 2 small slices of pizza can easily be my meal with a normal sized salad.

In my house that would mean that the seventeen year old boy AND Dh would be very very hungry tomorrow at dinner time......

I've always had a strict "Ask before you eat it" policy in my house for that very reason. And I DO NOT come up with back up meals, you get a PB&J.

Edited by Rainefox

See, right there is the problem. Define "a lot" :D I feel for you :smash:

My poor husband asked me the other when I was going start baking cakes again. I said, "when they last more than one day". He suggested I just "tell the boys to only have one piece" :lol: Then he just burst out laughing at his own naivety.

You made your 17 yob a very happy lad! Just think of all the good things he was thinking as he was eating all that pasta sauce! Some fellas are bottomless pits - the food just disappears. My youngers complain that their olders "take all our snacks" when they come back home from college :)

Really, your son was a happy, grateful young man as he was eating. And that's a good thing :) You might ask him if you should make 2 quarts next time ;)

You made your 17 yob a very happy lad! Just think of all the good things he was thinking as he was eating all that pasta sauce! Some fellas are bottomless pits - the food just disappears. My youngers complain that their olders "take all our snacks" when they come back home from college :)

Really, your son was a happy, grateful young man as he was eating. And that's a good thing :) You might ask him if you should make 2 quarts next time ;)

:lol:

Although, I don't know...food seems to just disappear into DS without him actually tasting it.

We were at the grocery store today and I asked him if the mango he had yesterday was good. Mango? What mango? The mango you ate yesterday. I ate a mango yesterday? I though for sure he was joking with me, but he said he just eats, what he eats hardly matters, as long as he get to eat...a lot.

My 17yo son replied, "Because it's meat sauce!"

YIKES! I better start stocking up the pantry shelves before my sons become teenagers. My kids are so finicky, I cannot imagine them eating that much of anything. He sounds like a healthy 17 year old, but I understand your feelings. I hate having to come up with a back up dinner plan:).

My uncle actually did this. It didn't work. My cousins simply removed the hinges and replaced the door when they were finished foraging.:D

Stocking up, not locking up. ;)

My dh would do this. He might eat some RAW pasta with it if it was easy to find. He would prefer cooked pasta but would not even think to look farther in the refrigerator for it.:lol:

My 18 year old male was reading over my shoulder and said that sounds like a midnight snack to him. He would not look at it and think "We're on a budget so this must be tomorrow's dinner for the whole family." I'm pretty sure my husband would have eaten it too, only before midnight.

Poor Betty, I'm sure she posted to vent and hope for some sympathy, only to find we've gone over to the dark side.;)

Oh my goodness, that sounds familiar. I have had the shelves absolutely emptied on weekends when there are always extra teens here. If I don't want them to eat something, I have to hide it. Seriously.

LOL! I know someone who has locked her groceries in the trunk of her car, so her teenage sons can't get at them!

We have a strict "ask before you eat" policy. We also have the week's menu posted on the fridge so they can look an see what items are slated for use in meals later that week so they know not to ask to eat the pound of ground turkey meant for tacos or the stuffed shells prepped and in the fridge for tonight.

Children are like locusts, descending upon a newly-stocked pantry and picking it clean before the grocery check has cleared. Having the menu posted makes them stop and think about whether they are eating a meal for 5 or a snack for one. Having to ask to eat makes them think about whether they are really hungry just bored.

All I can say is be glad you don't have triplets! :D

OK my boys are babies still, but I've seen teen boys eat, and frankly mine are going to eat me out of house and home. At every stage so far they've eaten twice what a normal baby would eat, and they're 98th percentile for height (and likely to stay there). I've already come to terms with the fact that feeding them is going to be..interesting. 100oz+ of formula a day (only two babies...) was probably my first hint.

However I can't even imagine how I'm going to keep the fridge stocked for two teen boys (and a teen girl). How do you do it with three? Tips? I'm gonna need them...

Teen age girls can put the food away sometimes too. Everyone in this house now buys some of their own foods and everyone lables their food along with dire warnings should it be taken. There are certain things that the kids will always leave the last for mom, even if it isn't labled and sometimes they even bring me snacks they no I like jut because (well at least that is what they would like me too believe but I have been around the block once or twice and I know that they are just banking points for when they are going to need them).

OK my boys are babies still, but I've seen teen boys eat, and frankly mine are going to eat me out of house and home. At every stage so far they've eaten twice what a normal baby would eat, and they're 98th percentile for height (and likely to stay there). I've already come to terms with the fact that feeding them is going to be..interesting. 100oz+ of formula a day (only two babies...) was probably my first hint.

If it's any hope to you, my baby that started out huge off the charts for the first years of his life was about average size by the time he started kindergarten.

However I can't even imagine how I'm going to keep the fridge stocked for two teen boys (and a teen girl). How do you do it with three? Tips? I'm gonna need them...

My sons were this way as babies and toddlers as well. Start saving now :lol:

We go through so much food..... I swear I have a horrible time keeping up. It seems like I'll shop, and then the next day the fridge is empty and the cupboards are bare again.

No tips. Nothing to be done about it. Food prices are killing us right now.