Menu

Now we are charging for BIRTHDAY parties???

My ds 13yo is going to a birthday party today for his friend. It is at a paintball facility.

I just found out last night that the cost is 50 per kid!

First, I have never been charged for attendance at a birthday party before. Second, we are still supposed to bring a gift and most teen parties here do cash gifts and the typical going rate is 50.

So this party is now going to cost me 100. :glare:

Fine. Whatever. I just think if you are going to throw a party for your child you should either pick a place you can afford or suck it up and pay it. To charge my child to attend plus gift is ridiculous.

Last year my ds wanted the paintball party too. We told him he can have the party (which we would pay for) OR he could have nice gift from us, but not both.

I guess I am just old-fashioned but all these new birthday party, engagement party, wedding trends just seem tacky to me.

We had a joint paintball party for our son with another couple and their son last summer. We jumped on some Groupons that we saw for the facility, because it IS expensive. The boys both knew that the party was their present from their parents. Of course we didn't make anyone pay! That's ridiculous!

That's crazy-I would reduce the amount of the gift to $20 so I would at least only be out $20 more than anticipated. I hope this trend doesn't continue as Iam alwaysthe last to know and almost never have cash on me when dropping my kids off for birthday parties. :tongue_smilie:

My ds 13yo is going to a birthday party today for his friend. It is at a paintball facility.

I just found out last night that the cost is 50 per kid!

First, I have never been charged for attendance at a birthday party before. Second, we are still supposed to bring a gift and most teen parties here do cash gifts and the typical going rate is 50.

So this party is now going to cost me 100. :glare:

Fine. Whatever. I just think if you are going to throw a party for your child you should either pick a place you can afford or suck it up and pay it. To charge my child to attend plus gift is ridiculous.

Last year my ds wanted the paintball party too. We told him he can have the party (which we would pay for) OR he could have nice gift from us, but not both.

I guess I am just old-fashioned but all these new birthday party, engagement party, wedding trends just seem tacky to me.

Like $50 in American $$$??? Seriously?? That's crazy! Is it really that much for paintball? Per child? Wow!!!

I really like hotdogs and homemade cake. :001_smile:

I do too. One thing about this island is their need to "one-up" each other. There seems to be no such thing as a simple backyard party (well, no one has a backyard but you know what I mean!). Everything has to be this big shindig.

I didn't have a birthday party this year for my 2yo and people here were genuinely shocked. :glare:

You buy $50 birthday gifts for friends? I don't spend that much on my husband! My birthday is coming up... friend. :D

:lol::lol: My birthday was a couple of weeks ago. *wink, wink*

That is insane. We couldn't afford for our children to go, best friend or not. That's crazy!

my dc's friends usually have backyard parties, the same as we do. ONce, my son went to a party (kid from co-op) not really a good friend, there were pony rides, clowns, etc. I sent him with the usual gift costing around $20 and nobody passed around a hat to pay for ponies or clowns. The parents of birthday boy paid for all that

You buy $50 birthday gifts for friends? I don't spend that much on my husband! My birthday is coming up... friend. :D

MINE TOO. :):001_smile:

NO WAY NO HOW

I barely spent $100 on my boys parties when they were younger. AND they have had the MEMORABLE parites. Parties that everyone wanted to come to. the Totally cool party to say the least.

and we did all but one at our house. That one was at the beach, with hot dogs, and drinks, and noodles for playing in the water. And a Sandpail birthday cake that eveyone thought was totally cool.

We had a mildly similar experience once during hockey. One of the players' birthday was during an out of state tournament and the parents wanted to do "something fun" for him which translated to Dave and Busters. They got a "great deal" that would only cost $35 per person, and we could pay Mom and Dad when we got there.

The other parent I was staying with and I both thought "so.... we're spending $70 ($35 each for parent & child) to go to your son's birthday party, and if we don't EVERYONE will know and we'll be the ones who skipped Snowflake's party. Super." So, we shelled it out. Which I KNOW was our choice and we could've been very adult about it, but at the end of the day there were a bunch of kids all talking about all the things they were going to do at Snowflake's party (games! food! tickets!!!!!!). We bought a birthday card and called it done.

My girls' birthdays are in July and August. Hot and Humid. And we don't have a big house. So a couple of times we've had their parties at Chuckie Cheese (yeah, I know, I just like the chuckie word) and at a gymnastics place. But we paid for it. Now we have a pool, so the girls have a pool party. With a rain date. I canNOT imagine charging people to come to our party.

That's the most tacky, ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I've never heard of being charged to attend a birthday party we were invited to. If that ever happened I don't think I'd be able to refrain from going, "Are you serious?"

We would not be attending on principal. My kid could play paintball and do fun things another time. There's no way I'd shell out $100 for some kid's birthday party entrance fee and gift. No way.

Twice. Kid gets excited about the invitation, and then I find out that we pay for part or all of the fun. First time I agreed because it was local and the cost was doable, but the second time we found a convenient excuse. An hour each way plus costs there in order to "join" in, which include the parent that drove them (so at least two admissions, gas, and lunch).

Our parties usually involve having a family or two over for dinner. And no, I don't charge :D.

Last summer when ds turned 17, he wanted to invite a bunch of friends to play laser tag- enough that we could rent out the place and be the only ones playing. We agreed to a three game set, and he invited friends, knowing that the party was his gift from us. A lot of teens showed up and EVERY ONE of them expected to pay. They were pulling wallets out left and right! I was stunned and made them put them away.

So...maybe it's not that uncommon around here. But I sure was shocked.

I wouldn't let my dc go even if it were his best friend. I simply don't want to feed the fad and follow the dirty suit. If everyone sends their child to go to their friend's ridiculously expensive party because they don't want to disappoint their child, then this kind of party will sooner or later become the norm and you will always have to pay for some extravagant parties that other people throw to you from now on. It is a trap and a vicious cycle.

SIMPLY DO NOT GO and stand firm for your own standards, values, and priorities. Do not do things the way other people coerce (pressure) you to do if they go against your own conscience.