Menu

Am I the only one who finds Dave Ramsey annoying?

We are halfway through the Foundations of Personal Finance with my teen boys. I can't stand the way he talks about his wife. I can't stand his generalizations. I can't stand his patronizing attitude. I know there is a lot of good information in there, but his delivery is bugging me. He generalizes way too much and paints everyone with the same brush. No, Dave, I am not a stupid idiot and don't need him telling me how stupid I am because I may disagree with him on a few points. My boys, who have never expressed much interest in financial matters, are amazed at how stupid the teens are who appear in the DVDs.

Okay, rant over!

I haven't used that program but have heard him on the radio. I think that he gives sound advice for the most part, but I find him a bit arrogant at times also.

Then I have to remind myself, that people are calling for his advice, I guess they are entitled to it. LOL:lol:

We are halfway through the Foundations of Personal Finance with my teen boys. I can't stand the way he talks about his wife. I can't stand his generalizations. I can't stand his patronizing attitude. I know there is a lot of good information in there, but his delivery is bugging me. He generalizes way too much and paints everyone with the same brush. No, Dave, I am not a stupid idiot and don't need him telling me how stupid I am because I may disagree with him on a few points. My boys, who have never expressed much interest in financial matters, are amazed at how stupid the teens are who appear in the DVDs.

Okay, rant over!

:iagree:

I can't stand him, to be perfectly honest.

There, I said it.

There are several people at our church who LOVE him. Like he is THE finance guru (our pastor actually looks exactly like him, which is quite humorous sometimes, but has nothing to do with present conversation :lol: ) of the world and he has ALL the wisdom in the world and if you just do what it says in his book you will ALL be in financial heaven!!!!!!!!

Ugh. This following disgusts me.

Ah, how refreshing... :D

Nope, he's annoying--definitely. annoying. Know-it-all, my-way-is-the-only-way types always are.

Several comments he made about her were patronizing, making her sound like some emotional, irrational bubble head. If my husband talked about me that way, he would be sleeping on the couch.

:iagree: :iagree: My creeped-out alarm and grates-my-nerves alarm goes out anytime I listen to or read him. :)

His attitude and black-and-white view of things bothers me. I guess some people have to be told that they should sell the super-duper truck so the house isn't repossessed, but I don't think that everyone should try to pay off their mortgage. Life can be a little more complicated than that.

We prefer Ric Edelman, who is on the same radio station locally, because his advice goes deeper and is more flexible to different situations.

I admire what he has done for so many people (instilling common financial sense) and providing a clear, simple blueprint to follow for those who become overwhelmed trying to do/find anything more complex.

But I do think he thinks he has all the answers. I do think they - his "people" - deliberately pick stupid people to be featured on his radio program. I do think people worship him inappropriately (that was probably redundant...worshiping any person is inappropriate).

I tried joining his online community for awhile, but found way too much group-think / "you must think like we do or you're stupid" mentality there to remain for very long (whereas, at the Hive, people rarely agree with anyone else on anything and many people make it clear that they think there are many stupid people of all stripes on the Boards...the "joys" of true diversity :D)

So, no, you're not alone.

He's annoying in his arrogance and I disagree with him on a few of his "musts," but I still use his program with my boys because they way he puts things tends to get through to teens and mine have adjusted their thoughts about money (in a good way) afterward - moreso than just by our teaching or modeling.

I do make a point to talk about the points we disagree with however - and why we disagree. So far I've yet to see my boys choose his way over mine. ;)

I've never heard or read anything about him, but I find the information on his website to be worthwhile for the budgetly challenged. I like his car payment video.

I also like Suze Orman's advice as distilled into articles, but dislike her books or when she was on Oprah.

Gail Vaz-Oxlade is my favourite financial advice giver.

I don't care for him bc I think he's made a mint on what should be considered common sense. But with that being said he's helped a ton of people I know.

Suze Orman annoys me, too!

:glare:

I think it's fantastic he's made a lot of money helping people help themselves.

But, no, I haven't drank the koolaid. I find him patronizing, arrogant, gender-scripted, and his attraction to his own sarcasm annoying.

I don't like how or when he starts his "people are stupid" in all the forms it takes. But I do like the appropriate use of the term "stupid tax". :lol:

I am a member of mymoneymakover, I have his books, and I value a lot of what he says if not how he says it. I don't agree with him 100%.

His fans can be just as annoying. Disagree with him and you are shunned.

Okay, rant over!

We are huge Dave groupies but I will try not to get too defensive here. :D Honestly though, a whole LOT of people in this country are stupid about money...hence...recession. We are not only surrounded by terrible financial information but a fundamental lack of delayed gratification. I don't care if he is "annoying" this country needs him.

We are huge Dave groupies but I will try not to get too defensive here. :D Honestly though, a whole LOT of people in this country are stupid about money...hence...recession. We are not only surrounded by terrible financial information but a fundamental lack of delayed gratification. I don't care if he is "annoying" this country needs him.

But there are also many people who are financially responsible and have had life situations happen that just couldn't be planned for, especially in this economy with job losses, pay cuts and higher prices on just about everything. Dave just doesn't seem to get that not everyone who has financial issues is a free spending, debt ridden lazy person.

But there are also many people who are financially responsible and have had life situations happen that just couldn't be planned for, especially in this economy with job losses, pay cuts and higher prices on just about everything. Dave just doesn't seem to get that not everyone who has financial issues is a free spending, debt ridden lazy person.

Absolutely agree with you there. The problem is a national attitude toward money that is not smart or responsible. Years and years of that have resulted in this situation that has now gotten so bad that even those who have been responsible are paying for the poor habits of others. I've heard the statements you are talking about and understand the frustration. I think, though, that he is speaking about the nation as a whole and if the collective "we" don't change our habits then this is never going to get better.

Gail Vaz-Oxlade is my favourite financial advice giver.

Ditto. She tells it straight and simple and has most of her resources and advice online for free.

After her most financial gurus seem to be more about making money off their programs then actually helped people get out of debt.

i think he can be annoying too, but we use his steps to the letter:001_smile: we are in a great place financially because of his advice, so i definitely recommend him without hesitation. however, i did find him annoying during financial peace university. i much prefer the book "total money makeover". i received cd's when we took FPU, and i gave them to my sister. i knew i would not listen to them again.

I listen to both Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard a lot (via their podcasts). I like them both, but I like Clark Howard much more. He's much kinder and more humble, and his advice and show topics are much broader.

Also, many times Dave and Clark disagree, and I'm pretty sure Clark is right. I'm not talking about general opinions like should you pay off your student loan or start a Roth account first. I'm talking about specific things like how do you freeze a child's credit, or what if I start a 529 plan and my child doesn't go to college. I don't think Dave is particularly accurate with specific questions like that.

On the other hand, Dave has certainly helped a lot of people get out of debt, including me; and I really appreciate him for that. I heard him, just the other day, talk to a woman who called him up crying hysterically over her financial situation; and he talked her down so kindly. At the end of the call, he told her to stay on the line, and they were going to get her some help. I liked him for that. Also, I like how he gives away his products to the callers who seem to need them the most.

But try Clark Howard's podcast if you like money topics and, particularly, ideas on how to save money.

I admire what he has done for so many people (instilling common financial sense) and providing a clear, simple blueprint to follow for those who become overwhelmed trying to do/find anything more complex.

But I do think he thinks he has all the answers. I do think they - his "people" - deliberately pick stupid people to be featured on his radio program. I do think people worship him inappropriately (that was probably redundant...worshiping any person is inappropriate).

I tried joining his online community for awhile, but found way too much group-think / "you must think like we do or you're stupid" mentality there to remain for very long (whereas, at the Hive, people rarely agree with anyone else on anything and people make it clear that they think there are many stupid people of all stripes on the Boards...the "joys" of true diversity :D)

So, no, you're not alone.

This made me smile.

He annoys me for an ENTIRELY different reason than ya'all. If you're listening enough, and agreeing, you will find yourself saying things to YOURSELF like:

"What would Dave do?"

"Starbucks isn't very gazelle like."

And preventing yourself from joyous splurges on things like curriculum. I am about 90% certain I would have

had a new van in December if it wasn't for the little Dave voice in my head. Sigh. So, yes, he annoys me...

And, in his defense, stops me from buying things.

Edited by BlsdMama

Suze Orman annoys me, too!

I remember when I first saw her on public TV. "Public TV is going to the wow-wows*," I thought, and I don't believe I've ever watched it again.

I've only heard DR once, but I immediately thought of Franny and Zooey ... the line where they remember that Seymore told Franny to "be funny for the fat lady" and Zooey to shine his shoes for a radio show, because of the fat lady. DR is common sense finance for Seymore's Fat Lady.

(Before you leap all over a perceived insult, please read Franny and Zooey AND Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenters first. ;))

*the dogs

Edited by kalanamak

You are not the only one. For the same approach to finances, but with a much more personable tone, try Mary Hunt. Her books can be found in most libraries. The same info is available from her website subscription service, but the books, pencil and paper will get you the same results.

FWIW, her methods helped us pay off the farm mortgage in less than 7 years. After that and another year, we were completely debt free. We do use an operating line of credit to run the farm, but it is paid in full each year, so not debt, per se.

Larry Burkett, RIP, had more or less the same content and a style I liked and respected a lot more. I miss him.

My MIL loved Dave Ramsey... and on one visit tried to get us all to sit and listen to his TV program. Her son, my husband, turned to another channel. She demanded to know why he did that. I blurted out that Dave Ramsey's attitude was know-it-all and rude. I said I loved Larry Burkett's sweet demeanor better. We laughed when FIL blurted out a hearty YES too. (He never speaks his mind to MIL. MIL ruled the roost and was a know-it-all and tactless.) LOL :D

This made me smile.

He annoys me for an ENTIRELY different reason than ya'all. If you're listening enough, and agreeing, you will find yourself saying things to YOURSELF like:

"What would Dave do?"

"Starbucks isn't very gazelle like."

And preventing yourself from joyous splurges on things like curriculum. I am about 90% certain I would have

had a new van in December if it wasn't for the little Dave voice in my head. Sigh. So, yes, he annoys me...

And, in his defense, stops me from buying things.

Starbucks is totally gazelle-like if you work it into your food budget. :D So is curriculum if you have an education category! Dave is like the Weight Watchers of finance, nothing is really "forbidden" if you budget it in.

I did read his "Total Money Makeover" out of curiosity - it is a quick read, alot of repetition of his central idea. But that's how he drills the ideas in your head I guess. Sure he has some good ideas, but nothing new it under the sun. Plus what works for some, doesn't for others.

I tend to turn away from "motivational" speakers like him. For some this is encouraging and is the push they need to get going in what area they are needing help in. For me I find it too much.

I enjoyed Larry Burkett. I really like his mild-mannered approach and his sold thoughts on finances. He seemed very sincere and not at all condescending (not that I'm pointing a finder at DR!).

IAnyone have some suggestions for a teen study???

Yes, check out Crown Financial Ministries' products for teens. Larry Burkett, who has been mentioned in this thread a few times, started Crown Financial.

Although I've already commented about Dave, it also really bothered me that his curriculum for teens was so outrageously priced (~$100). Come on! Dave would not be advising me to spend that much money on a half credit course!!

After her most financial gurus seem to be more about making money off their programs then actually helped people get out of debt.

:iagree: I see them as making money off the backs of the people who can least afford it. A person could easily spend $100 or better getting all the books and media needed to go through the program.

So no, I don't like DR on principle. We will be debt free in July without him.

He might be annoying, but I would love to go back in time 10 years and follow his advice from the start. :glare: I have done my share of dumb things, for sure.

And I love that someone is finally telling people that a college education isn't always worth what you pay for it. All through college, I heard that student loans were 'good debt'. Bologna!!

I think we may be one of the few couples at our church who aren't gaga over Dave. Everyone tells me we need to use his program . We manage our money very well and always have. Both our parents did a great job of teaching us about money.

I seem to notice my friends who love Dave have made some really poor money decisions. Buying houses they can't afford, new cars, etc. and now expect Dave to fix it so they can keep their life. They want to know who we manage on one income.....let's see no satellite tv, no dream vacations every year, no IPhones, no eating out every week.

Of course he's annoying, but that's part of why he's helped so many people. Repeating the same simple approaches over and over again, and refusing to nuance instruction to the individual helps keep people's minds on the big picture in a way that helps them change their behavior. He will be especially annoying to people for whom a different approach is working very well, but they are not his audience. His audience are those who either don't know sound financial principles or, like I did, struggle with putting them into practice.

I've never heard him say anything negative about his wife. And I have heard him deal compassionately with hurting people who call his show.

I looked at his budget planner on his website this week and laughed when the lowest sample salary was way higher than Dh's. We would love to have that lowest monthly income! And I laughed when I noticed that the monthly budget for the lowest salary only allowed $150 for utilities. I don't know anyone who pays only $150 on utilities! Does that mean we do without a phone or electricity or gas or water or ???

I know that I could have created a 7 day free trial account and plugged in my own numbers, but seriously, I do not want the hassle of canceling the account before they charge me for it. I would just like to see a realistic sample. I thought that his figures were offensive to those of us on low incomes.

I always wonder if Dave Ramsey would laugh at our homeschooling endeavor and tell me to go back to work, given our low income. We certainly share his ideas about staying out of debt and are doing a good job with that, but he might be shocked at how little we are able to save. During this season of our lives, homeschooling and being with our children is a higher priority than funding our retirement account. I don't think that we will regret this choice.

That said, I sometimes enjoy listening to him and filter his sometimes arrogant attitude from the good information.