Menu

What do the children of the hive want to be when they grow up?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6yob: "Um... I don't know. Why do you want to know?"

Me: "Someone online wants to know what homeschooled kids want to be."

6yob: "Well there are tons of things I want to be and I can only be one."

Me: "You can be lots of things. What are some of them?"

6yob: "Here's two of them. I want to be both a doctor and a teacher."

Me: "Why do you want to be a doctor?"

6yob: "So that I can help people"

Me: "And why do you want to be a teacher?"

6yob: "So that I can teach people stuff."

Me: "What would you teach them?"

6yob: "I don't know what I would teach them, because I don't know what I would know when I grow up. . . Although being a doctor of Earth and being a teacher of Earth does not mix with being an astronaut."

The 9yob and 11yob are not home right now, but I know the 9yo wants to write graphic novels and the 11yo wants to go into mechatronics design.

This is what my siblings say:

Older Brother 19: No idea (lol)

Me: Trying to decide, but probably something like Accounting, History or Creative Writing

Younger Sister 15: ASL interpreter (it changes every so often)

Younger brother 8: firefighter

Younger Sister 7: Wants to own a Pet Shop

Younger brother 5: Policeman

Younger Sister 3: she wants to be Eden (that's her name lol!!)

Baby Brother: Just wants to enter this world!

So pretty diverse here.:)

The 4yo wants to be a Roman.

Translation: I think he wants to be a centurion or Ancient Roman general. To early to commit to such specifics, though.

:lol:

Only a classically educated home scholar.

----

DS wants to be an engineer and a chemist, but not a chemical engineer. He just discovered electrical engineering over the holidays, though, and I think he may be veering off in that direction. (I haven't had a kitchen table since Christmas day, when it was overtaken by his current project. :tongue_smilie:)

I asked my 6yos and he said "A Fireman, no, no, a Police Man, oh, no, a Rabbit Taker(I'm thinking breeder) So I can take one. :001_huh:

4yos---"Jimmy" This is his older brother, he is 19. (He is pretty cool):D

11yod--"An Artist and a Chef":001_smile:

9yod--"Zookeeper":001_smile:

14yod--"Veterinarian":001_smile:

Such a fun thread to read through!

14dd Famous singer (NOTE: she doesn't like to sing in front of people though she is very musical and has a great voice. So, not sure how that's going to work. :lol:)

11dd One of those people that help in retirement homes....you know, reading to people, pushing them around in their wheelchairs..... (Hmm. Ok. She has recently also talked about being a pharmacist, CSI person, anesthesiologist, post surgical/recovery nurse, or a physical therapist. She's got options! ;))

8.75dd Professional ballet dancer or an artist, but I don't want to make sculptures, I just want to paint. (Note that she takes 1 dance class a week and it's a musical theatre dance class, not ballet. :001_huh:)

DS11: Paleontologist missionary

DS11: Air Force Officer

DSD12: Chef

DSS16: Enlisted Marine

The first DS11 is convinced he can do both. He will look for bones during the day in some far out place and at night preach sermons and teach Bible classes :) Never mind he is allergic to dust and himself (literally he has an autoimmune that produces histamine and fights his own blood lol). I told him he better marry a doctor to take with him!

Second DS11 has wanted to be this for years. Hopefully the Academy takes kids with speech, language processing and reading disorders!

Edited by ds4159

Ds 11- actor (broadway or film)

Singer

Detective (possibly psychic!) -He was watching Psych while answering!

Ds 10- baseball player

Lego designer

Orthodontist (because they drive better cars than dentists!)

Ds 9- actor

Tennis player

Geologist

My husband says that we should go ahead and dig out a basement so they all have a place to live and play video games when they are older!

Reading all these posts reminded me of some of the things ds used to say he wanted to do.

--rob houses (I had a real hard time with that one. Why? Oh, why, I wondered. What was even the point of homeschooling if that is his aspiration.:D)

--work at a gas station (Which seemed fine to him because his cousin did and was his answer to why he didn't need to learn to read/do math/anything basically. Whew, I'm glad we're past that stage.)

dd17 (senior) - "photographer, kitty cat owner, wife, mother, wouldn't mind living on a ranch or a palace or be a princess" She said I didn't have to put all of that, just photographer, but I told her that you wanted word for word. She laughed and said "well, then, a pixie." :D Her more serious answer is "she is content wherever God wants her to be" but "She wouldn't complain if her husband owned a horse, one (the husband) with armor and a white steed." :lol: She's read a bit too many fairy tale books lately! And she is planning to study photography when she graduates. ;)

dd11 - "a writer, a mom, a wife, hmm, I want to be a chef and have my own restaurant, an actor. That's about it! Though I'd like to own a pegasus." :D This dd has mentioned a writer and a chef for a while now. She loves watching Food Network. Not sure where the writer part comes from.

DS7: Surgeon (has said this since he was 4-5) or, more recently, an astronaut - space surgeon (so he's still on the surgeon thing); he also wants to own businesses or real estate and plans out a lot of different types of businesses he could be owner of, but hire others to do the work. LOL, he's been our little entrepreneur since about 3.

Edited by Tigger

I have an 18 year old who was homeschooled 10 of the 12 years in school. He is a business and finance major at University of Tennessee on an academic scholarship. He says he wants to be in business with his dad and me. I am a little bit proud!:D My 16 year old daughter who was homeschooled for 8 years has just started community college classes full time and will join her brother next year at UT.She wants to be a pediatric oncologist and that is what she shall be. She has never wanted anything else. She wants to adopt children and cure cancer. I'm a little bit proud of her, too.:D My youngest is in the 7th grade and has always felt that schoolwork gets in the way of his athletic endeavors. He recently told me that "just in case this football thing doesn't work out, I better start working on my math." Yes, he is his own man and we are crazy proud of him. He wants to be a sports broadcaster. I want to own a brew pub, I am in the process of putting it together. My husband and I work together and work all the dang time. We might as well do something we love. He loves this business, I want to own a pub.

DS14 - Design weapons for the military.

My BIL does this. It involves long hours, boring meetings, lots of stress, and quite a bit of travel - at least at the senior level. For the past three years, it has also involved job insecurity and companies not getting paid for the contracts they've already completed. But if your ds still has an interest in this field later, I bet I could set up a meeting with BIL.

"A doctor/secret agent. But mostly like Finn" (MdMissile, from Cars 2). ds5

"Mmm, I don't know. Why do you ask?" (I explain). "I thought I was going to start my life making my own restaurant. I just know that my door is still open to many things." dd8