Menu

How many of you have a passion area outside of family and homeschooling?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two things.

Weaving - learned how to weave about 18 months ago and I love, love, love it.

End-of-life care... I'm currently a hospice volunteer and go visit patients once a week. I really wish I could do it more. Even though I'm no longer homeschooling I can't believe how quickly my week fills up, so once a week is about all I can do right now.

Rescuing animals, hiking, gardening.

I'm also a want to be artist. This year I'm taking time for myself to do for ME. I'm trying to find someone who can teach me to make dichroic glass.

I'm gifted musically and hope to take time to use my gifts one day.

Saving/rescuing/helping animals, even the human kind, biggest compassion.... By far.

Photography. It's perfect for me, because I can make a record of our family life while doing something creative that I enjoy.

:iagree:

It can get a bit expensive though. :tongue_smilie:

I'm thinking this may be the year I upgrade my camera body (Nikon d40) - and let's not even talk about what my amazon wishlist looks like right now. ;)

Latin American history- particularly Brazilian history. It's what I study in school, and what I'll (hopefully) be going to graduate school for.

Also foreign languages. I study French and Spanish, starting Portuguese soon, and hope to eventually learn Arabic.

And reading. I read probably... 5-7 books a week. Almost a book a day.

Knowledge in general is my "passion" I guess. :tongue_smilie:I love to learn new things.

Foraging, natural medicine, gardening, crocheting and spinning, and theology. I still love our horses and teaching the kids to ride/show/train, but that is taking a bit of a back burner.

Right now I am focusing on preserving the foods I forage/grow/raise and crocheting piecework.

I started taking martial arts 18 months ago, and it is my passion outside of family/faith/home schooling. I absolutely LOVE it and I love what it has revealed to me about myself. I take three classes a week, and am hoping to add a sparring class to that soon. We study a variety of martial arts - MMA, Escrima (stick fighting), boxing, Mouy Tai, Tai Chi along with a bunch of others. LOVE it all!!!! People who have known me for a long time are always shocked that I am so into martial arts. :D

Roller derby.

My career in non-profit management and fundraising- on slow track now with PT work from home but I have tremendous passion for the work I did do and will do again in the future.

I want to get to a point where I say "fitness" in general but I am not there yet.

ETA: I would say that homeschooling is a necessity for us dictated by the circumstance of who our son is, not something that I am passionate about. I care about it and try my best, but that is a byproduct of trying to be a good parent and knowing that school is not the best place for my son.

Edited by kijipt

Self-education in an area I could never have anticipated.

:iagree: I totally hated school when I was there. Now all these years later I find the learning part fun. I've outlined several topics I won't get to until ds graduates. Since he's my only, I'm already lining up things to do once he's in college. I don't think he'll want me calling him every hour to see what he's doing. :lol:

i go through phases & tend to obsess about something intensely and exhaustively & then move on. currently i am in love with vegan/raw food eating. before this i was in love with doll making. then i went through a jane austen phase (does that count? lol) and couldn't get enough british romantic time period movies to save my life. then there was crocheting, t-yarn, wreath making, fermenting food, gardening, homemade products, and the list goes on.

i rotate between many of these things over and over, but i find my desire to love them faithfully and without breaks doesn't work well for me. so i just rotate through things & pour into it until i tire of it, and usually pick it up again sometime much later.

however, i do tend to always love running. i'm a terrible runner, but i really love how it makes me feel on every level. i've not been in any races lately (which i use the word "race" loosely, lol)... but i do love to participate in half marathons and strive for a full one.

oh. frugal living. simple living. and tiny living. those are all things that are on my radar fairly often. i love tiny house blog!

Performing, theatre, and most specifically ballet! I teach ballet 5 days a week. It makes me happy, it keeps me sane, and it inspires me.

I started choreographing recital dances today. It was wonderful to be creative in such a beautiful artform!

We start rehearsals for Hairspray in a week. I am choreographing that as well. I am excited :). But ballet is my Passion!

I'm not homeschooling anymore, but my passion for writing about parenting started years ago.

My passion for tournament poker (texas hold em) began while still homeschooling.

My passion for helping others recover from alcoholism has also been present for a couple of decades.

Edited to add: Spirituality.

I'm supposed to do something outside of homeschooling and family???

I didn't leave the house until my baby was 4.

Now, I'm a semi-professional bellydancer. I say semi-professional, because I barely break even :D I teach 5 classes a week and direct/choreograph for my student troupe, but I also take 3 classes a week, perform with a professional troupe, travel to out-of-town workshops and shows, and buy deliciously sparkly costumes, books, DVDs, etc. It's amazing for my body and soul. It's cheaper than therapy and husbands generally do not complain when their wives turn into bellydancers.

It all started with a class just to get out of the house one night a week.

Playing the piano. I used to practice a couple hours a day, that was before I had kids. Now I am lucky if I get 30 min. a month:tongue_smilie:.

Art. I love drawing and painting. My favorite though is drawing portraits.

Digital art. I have enjoyed teaching myself how to use photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, etc.

Fixing holes in my own education. I never enjoyed reading until about a year ago. My husband jokes that I have turned into my mom because I much prefer reading non-fiction over fiction now. I am constantly learning how much I don't know!

ETA: The other day my Dd6 was surprised to learn that I had things I liked to do other than (in addition to of course) being a mom, feeding a baby, and planning her school! LOL! I thought that was pretty funny!

Edited by ForeverFamily

Photography. It's perfect for me, because I can make a record of our family life while doing something creative that I enjoy.

:iagree: Although I'm finding myself really drawn to landscapes. Probably because I don't have to bribe them to hold still or beg them to look at the camera :glare:

:iagree:

It can get a bit expensive though. :tongue_smilie:

I'm thinking this may be the year I upgrade my camera body (Nikon d40) - and let's not even talk about what my amazon wishlist looks like right now. ;)

I just upgraded to a D7000 and I love it. I switched from Canon, so I only have a 35 mm so far and I'm already dreaming about another lens. I'd love a 24-70 but we have a lot of stuff we need to do with our house this year. . . little things like fix the roof and replace the A/C. . . :svengo:

Yes, sewing. I love it with a passion. But, homeschooling, family obligations, and running children all over town for their social lives impedes upon my own creative time right now.

I do look at life as made up of "chapters," though, so I try to not miss it too much and hope to get back to it again very soon. :001_wub:

Reading, reading, books and more books! The family and future homeschooling is all to justify the 20 boxes of books I've been carting about every time I move house!

I like food too. The recipes, the eating, the talking and reading about it, but not often the cooking.

Rosie