Menu

s/o Circ - and courtship When to discuss?

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it turned out fine. I found a rather clinical picture by searching Google Images and uncircumcised doesn't look that different from circumcised to be honest. Here's a link if you want to look for those gals like me who are uncircumcised know-nothings.

*Edited to get rid of link since a link was posted upthread*

I also found a picture of what is supposed to be a paparazzi picture of Prince William urinating on the side of a polo field with a close up of his....well, anyway, let's just say he's not Jewish. ;)

I watch Downton Abbey and miss all the fun!

And they most certainly do look different in person. Cir'd ones have Darth Vader helmets;).

Considering that men generally don't have a say in whether they are circ'd or not...their parents decide that and they just tend to live as they are...I'm not seeing where it's a matter of likemindedness. My husband is circ'd, but he's not for RIC.

Clearly, then, the discussion would need to be with the young man's parents...OK, now I get it...

Roflol. I'm wondering the same thing.

And she seems to have waffled about whether the initial question was about the potential husband and *his* p*nis or about potential sons and what to do with *theirs*. Perhaps she thinks this is the same thing?!?

Hasn't Lamarckism been disproven?

Clearly, then, the discussion would need to be with the young man's parents...OK, now I get it...

I don't see even where his parents would need to have the conversation either. In my case, we did something different with each son. Where I stand now is not where I stood as a first time mom. I would be extremely offended if anyone thought that my making a decision on that matter, and what the decision was, should determine whether my son was good enough for their daughter. I don't think so.

Now, if a couple wants to discuss potential decisions (irt future children) with each other, that is different. If the young couple CHOOSES to invite their parents' opinions in on the matter, that is their option. If grandma finds out a boy is soon to be born and asks the mother/father if they would like information on the subject or gently asks, "have you considered the different options?" on such a matter, then that is also different.

Edited by mommaduck

If you don't want to make clothes for hotdogs, just look at a male dog.:)

Well, YEAH, if you don't care to get all crafty and Martha Stewart about it!

Some of us care about style, ya know!

(Oh, can you IMAGINE?! She'd have that foreskin bedazzled, bejeweled and glittery before you can say RumpleForeskin!)

Well, YEAH, if you don't care to get all crafty and Martha Stewart about it!

Some of us care about style, ya know!

(Oh, can you IMAGINE?! She'd have that foreskin bedazzled, bejeweled and glittery before you can say RumpleForeskin!)

I finally have to enter THE THREAD!!!!! I just spit out my Jell-o! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Really late on this, but I had to comment:

Hijacking, but I know a very conservative Christian family who encourages their son to prolifically sow his oats before he even considers marriage. I thought the boy was teasing my dd, but the fact was verified with his father who told me that he wants his son to be faithful to his wife and not think about other women constantly.

:svengo: That's nuts!

That's an interesting statement. My girls know the difference, even at their young ages, because I tell them what it is when we come across the word in our bible reading. Well, I know my oldest knows and understands the mechanics, my middle knows but probably can't actually picture it, and my youngest has heard me talk about it but probably doesn't remember or care.

Anyway, do you think families following a "true" courtship model don't discuss circumcision at all?

I don't know about courtship, but I do know that I didn't know what male parts looked like til I got married (aside from babies. Which is totally different.) and I didn't know whether DH was circ'd or not til I asked him. I hadn't seen an uncirc'd male til I was changing a diaper in the church nursery (after DS7 was born). :) So anyway, was just throwing out there that I don't think circumcision is a necessary conversation or anything for most people. :)

My 500th post. Hot dawg!

A milestone this important had to be celebrated in this Thread of the Year contender.

:spam: <----- This guy wants to see how he looks in a little sweater, too.

Congratulations, but no, no,...NO!! A thousand times no!! Spam in a sweater is just the sort of blasphemous talk we can't have around here.

Sheesh! You think you can have a nice respectable discussion about hotdog sweaters and then someone has to sully it with spam talk.

The neighbourhood's goin' downhill, I say! :toetap05:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I was thinking the same thing. Why would it possibly matter? (I'm assuming we're not talking about any kind of religious reasons here.)

I'm sorry -- I know you specifically said you weren't here to debate why, but this just boggles my mind.

I can't think of a single graceful way to mention something like that, especially when it's a "non-negotiable" issue. It's not like the poor guy is going to do anything about it if he's not trimmed to her specifications, and I can't comprehend why anyone would consider not marrying a man she loved because of the status of his foreskin.

Personally, if it's that big a deal to her, she's not ready to marry anyone. (Wouldn't she think it was shallow if the guy said he wouldn't marry her because although he loved her, her b**bs were the wrong size?)

:iagree:

Sorry, not helpful to the op, but honestly how shallow can a person be?

Perhaps we could knit the sweaters? A somewhat similar idea:

http://theanticraft.com/archive/lugh06/familyplanning.htm

:lol:

That might be inspiration enough to get me to learn to knit.

I can already see myself sitting there nonchalantly at the library with my little basket of yarn, when some poor soul will come up to me and ask, "So, what are you knitting?" :tongue_smilie:

That might be inspiration enough to get me to learn to knit.

I can already see myself sitting there nonchalantly at the library with my little basket of yarn, when some poor soul will come up to me and ask, "So, what are you knitting?" :tongue_smilie:

Hah -- I've seen some interesting knitting projects before.

(WARNING! LINK CONTAINS ARTICLES IN POOR TASTE)

http://crochet.livejournal.com/2775763.html

Congratulations, but no, no,...NO!! A thousand times no!! Spam in a sweater is just the sort of blasphemous talk we can't have around here.

Sheesh! You think you can have a nice respectable discussion about hotdog sweaters and then someone has to sully it with spam talk.

The neighbourhood's goin' downhill, I say! :toetap05:

Hotdog sweaters are about as respectable as it gets, but I'm pretty much a hooligan. :D Sorry 'bout the neighbourhood. :001_smile:

Sounds like you are confessing to trolling.

Except that she started a thread in the past about observing the Torah. Which could point to this having been a religious question. Which would have gotten respect, I think. But also questions as to why you wouldn't just ask if the other person is also observing the Torah since I would think that circumcision would come under this.

This is the first time I've been stumped by a thread.

It looks like a religious issue. I keep thinking, well, if she's Christian the New Testament makes it clear that Christians don't need to be circumcised. So it's not a Christianity issue. Maybe she's Jewish, but in that case a she'd already know that the guy is circumcised. Same with Islam, right? So I'm scratching my head trying to figure out in which religion it would be important and a person wouldn't already know the answer without needing to ask.

!!! :iagree:

Well, I can't believe this thread, but here's my 2 cents:

if said young lady wants to inquire, why not have a conversation about a baby boy nephew or friend's baby boy, whose parents can't decide about it and what would he advise them???

Maybe it's possible to have a conversation about circ in general which would lead her to understand what her beloved's "situation" is without having to ask it??? Or without him having to actually say it???

Not for anything, but I'm wondering why the OP hasn't been banned for this. People have been banned for a lot less lately, and it seems like this thread was started with malicious intent.

She wouldn't have to be banned forever, just long enough for it to serve as an "object lesson." :glare:

Not for anything, but I'm wondering why the OP hasn't been banned for this. People have been banned for a lot less lately, and it seems like this thread was started with malicious intent.

She wouldn't have to be banned forever, just long enough for it to serve as an "object lesson." :glare:

I think the mods might be taking Sunday off.

Wow, this is amazing!! The only reason I can see to ask, is if the guy wanted to make sure my son received more of a certain type of attention. UGH... way too personal of a question for asking my son. I believe I would ABSOLUTELY freak out if I found out my son was asked this question. I would PAY my son not to date this person, in hopes that we weren't connected by marriage. BUT luckily, sounds like we wouldn't be anyway. And I care enough about my future daughter in law to have taken her into consideration when I made my decision regarding my son and his bits.... I can not believe that my sons parts would be the deciding factor in a marriage acceptance. Scary freaky thought!! In a way, I think this sounds like a fake question. Seriously, it's almost like asking all the personal questions we could think of for a woman..... :(

I watch Downton Abbey and miss all the fun!

And they most certainly do look different in person. Cir'd ones have Darth Vader helmets;).

un cir'd ones have Darth Vadar helmets too, they just cover up and put their toys away when they are not using them.:lol:

To answer someone else's question, yes they look just the same when they are ready to *ahem*

Except that she started a thread in the past about observing the Torah. Which could point to this having been a religious question. Which would have gotten respect, I think. But also questions as to why you wouldn't just ask if the other person is also observing the Torah since I would think that circumcision would come under this.

Because it wasn't a genuine question. She was not sincerely asking for advice on dealing with a religious issue. She stated in the post I quoted above that she was giving the board an "object lesson." Whatever that means. IMO, it's akin to trolling - asking insincere questions in an attempt to provoke a big response out of the community. Quite successful too!

Edited by RanchGirl

I was the person who considered that the original poster may be giving us an object lesson, but my statement was not meant in a malicious accusatory manner toward original poster. I interpreted the original post to be an obviously transparent silly hypothetical question and a wacky all-in-fun enactment of exactly how one would go about determining a potential mate's circ status.

It was only when people began replying seriously that I assumed I was wrong and made the post about how I had interpreted original post.

By the way, some observant Jews choose to forego circumcision of infants. There was at one time, and may still be, a support group for them. It can be very difficult decision to buck centuries of religious and cultural tradition.

Edited by annandatje