Menu

Dr Hive- Son passed out and is tingling

Virg

Last night my DSS15 walking into the kitchen to frost the cake he was making and completely blacked out. He fell on the floor but didn't hit his head. He had his eyes open within a second but just stared blankly and didn't seem to recognize me. He finally realized I was asking him what happened and said, "I don't know. I saw red spots and then everything went black."

I helped him up after a few minutes and he couldn't walk on his right leg. When he got to his bed I called his dad and after he calmed down enough we started asking him questions. His right arm started shaking violently. He said his entire right arm was tingling and painful. His right leg was tingling, his thigh hurt and his foot was numb. His dad rushed home (he only works a few minutes away) and we took him to the ER. I had to basically carry him out to the car.

At first the ER seemed really concerned. They immediately drew blood, put in an IV, and started fluids before the dr even came in. They asked if he had eaten (day after Christmas he had been snacking all day lol) and if he does drugs or drinks. Which he doesn't. The dr seemed concerned also and ordered a CT scan and and EKG. His blood work came back with his white blood cell count normal and they said he was very slightly dehydrated. (Of course he had been crying for 20 minutes from the pain and the fact he was terrified.) The EKG was normal and his CT scan didn't show any bleeds. His arm wasn't shaking anymore. They said he must have stood up too fast (he had been standing for a full minute or two and said he felt fine until the second before he blacked out). At that point his right arm and leg were still tingling but he was able to limp to the car.

We took him home and put him to bed, they said to rest so he has. This morning his arm feels "fine" but his leg is worse. The whole leg is tingling and his thigh hurts really bad. When he moves his foot his leg tingles even worse. I called his dr and they wanted me to take him to the ER, when I told them they had sent him home like this they were really confused and finally scheduled us for Thurs morning. They didn't think he had stood up too fast.

A couple people have suggested a seizure and that was never mentioned at the hospital at all. He has FASD and when I looked up seizures and epilepsy last night there was a bunch of links about the connection between them. Does anyone have any ideas? advice? gone through anything like this? I am kind of freaked out and am waiting for our health ins liaison to call me back.

ETA: Sorry so long! Thanks for reading it all! :)

What did he look like? Did he look like a ghost or zombie before he fell? If so, here is what my middle has- neurally mediated hypotension. What that means is her nerves by her heart are wired wrongly. When she is supposed to get higher blood pressure, instead the incorrect signal is that her blood pressure should be lowered. The blood goes to the legs and she ends up looking ghastly and then she faints. Often she doesn't faint but does near fainting. She feels out of sorts for a day or so after any significant incident. It took us a long time to get it figured out. Part of the reason for it being harder for her diagnosis was that she takes adhd medications which raise blood pressure and helped control the problem for her while she is on them. They also helped mask the problem when they did a tilt test in the morning with her on the medications. But she definitely has it. She is now on two different medications to increase blood pressure and has to drink 60 oz. of sports drinks a day plus put salt on many foods and eating processed foods is good for her (lots of sodium). With neurally mediated hypotension, it is much more commonly a female problem but I am sure it exists for some males too. The problem often resolves by mid 20's but not for all people. The person who follows her is a cardiologist- used to be a pediatric cardiologist and now a cardiologist who specializes in electrical problems with the heart (more commonly arrhythmias but also this type of problem too).

We do have a children's hospital up in SLC. Do you think just take him to their ER?

He says he felt fine until immediately before he passed out. He "zones out" a lot but never gets dizzy or anything. He goes running every day, even in the 20º weather and has never had a problem before.

Oh they are calling me back! will update

Keep us posted.

I know this can be scary. Has this happened before? Is he accurate with his descriptions of how he is feeling/sequence of events, etc? I know my son with FASD can have a hard time with this which makes figuring out what is really going on harder.

Neurologist sounds like the way to go or a Children's hospital ER where they would have a neurologist on call that could see him today yet.

We do have a children's hospital up in SLC. Do you think just take him to their ER?

He says he felt fine until immediately before he passed out. He "zones out" a lot but never gets dizzy or anything. He goes running every day, even in the 20º weather and has never had a problem before.

You're here in Utah? Yes, take him to Primary!! They are amazing and will check him out thoroughly and get an accurate diagnosis for you.

How scary....I agree with the other posters-I'd see if I could go to another e/r (children's hospital if possible)--goodness how frustrating that they sent you guys home....

:iagree: Sounds more like a blood clot to me.

I was thinking that too--hope you get some answers and that it's nothing serious....:grouphug:

What did he look like? Did he look like a ghost or zombie before he fell? If so, here is what my middle has- neurally mediated hypotension. What that means is her nerves by her heart are wired wrongly. When she is supposed to get higher blood pressure, instead the incorrect signal is that her blood pressure should be lowered. The blood goes to the legs and she ends up looking ghastly and then she faints. Often she doesn't faint but does near fainting. She feels out of sorts for a day or so after any significant incident. It took us a long time to get it figured out. Part of the reason for it being harder for her diagnosis was that she takes adhd medications which raise blood pressure and helped control the problem for her while she is on them. They also helped mask the problem when they did a tilt test in the morning with her on the medications. But she definitely has it. She is now on two different medications to increase blood pressure and has to drink 60 oz. of sports drinks a day plus put salt on many foods and eating processed foods is good for her (lots of sodium). With neurally mediated hypotension, it is much more commonly a female problem but I am sure it exists for some males too. The problem often resolves by mid 20's but not for all people. The person who follows her is a cardiologist- used to be a pediatric cardiologist and now a cardiologist who specializes in electrical problems with the heart (more commonly arrhythmias but also this type of problem too).

Hhhhmmmmmm. We are finally getting answers for dd12. She has been having issues since she was 4. She will be seeing her 14th doctor next week, an electrophysiologic (sp?) cardiologist. She was diagnosed last year with vasovagal syncope. I looked up your dd's condition, they appear to be the exact same thing. Dd has the same symptoms, and we were told about the blood rushing down to her legs. I finally know why dd's face turns blue. She has gotten EXTREMELY tired and weak lately. Did your dd's symptoms worsen as she got near puberty?

OP, I do not see a link to seizures. The limbs tingling, especially prolonged tingling, don't sound like seizures. I am wondering if your son has anything like Christina's and my dd has. Pay attention to symptoms if they happen again.

I definitely think a good children's hospital is a good idea, as well as a good pediatric neurologist.

I know how scary it all is.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

"zoning out" a lot most definitely could be seizures. :sad:

Praying for your son!

I suffered from clonic tonic seizures that started at age 18 and came intermittently for three years...they ended just as quickly as they started. I did not zone out, but would just fall...all the muscles in my body for one split second would stop receiving messages..so I would crumple and watch it happening on the way down...all tests were normal but on the sleep deprivation test I had an abnormal EEG...so get whatever testing you can.

My brother would zone out with seizures...when he zones out make specific notes as to how many times it takes for him to unzone...film it if possible...let us know! My brother could be talking on the phone and jst lose the ability to talk.

"zoning out" a lot most definitely could be seizures. :sad:

Just seconding this. I had a student years ago who had a seizure disorder. You'd be sitting talking to her and she'd suddenly get all glazed over as if she was just "zoning out." Then she'd be fine a moment later - "Huh? Yeah, blah blah blah..." as if nothing happened and she was just caught in a thought. If her mother had not come and given us all info so we could help her track this and recognize it, you never would have known.

Good luck and hugs! I hope you get the help you need.

I don't know anything...

but did they check for stroke?

That would be my question...

:iagree: The prolonged tingling/difficulty using his leg and arm (on the same side of the body) worries me. Kids can have strokes, and they are much less likely to be recognized promptly because they're just not on the radar screen of many physicians dealing with kids. It's probably not likely, but I would definitely want someone medical to think about it.

I hope you got some answers. Please update us. :grouphug:

My son had a stroke during delivery. Children can have strokes. Most of them have an underlying clotting disorder that usually doesn't get diagnosed until the child has a stroke.

The arm and leg shaking sounds like a seizure. My son has epilepsy and that is exactly what happens to him. His arm or leg are limp for a while after he has a seizure but he hasn't mentioned a tingling feeling though.

Hope you get some answers soon!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Praying for your son!

I suffered from clonic tonic seizures that started at age 18 and came intermittently for three years...they ended just as quickly as they started. I did not zone out, but would just fall...all the muscles in my body for one split second would stop receiving messages..so I would crumple and watch it happening on the way down...all tests were normal but on the sleep deprivation test I had an abnormal EEG...so get whatever testing you can.

My brother would zone out with seizures...when he zones out make specific notes as to how many times it takes for him to unzone...film it if possible...let us know! My brother could be talking on the phone and jst lose the ability to talk.

Those sound like drop siezures, not tonic-clonic siezures. They sound "atonic." You lose consciousness with a tonic-clonic seizure and your body convulses.

What ever they were tho', seizures $uck. I'm glad yours stopped.

Praying. :grouphug:

Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome can happen within 10 minutes of standing, greatly increase heart rate to the point of fainting, and decreased heart rate also means not enough O2 to muscles which would cause pain. Any cause of orthostatic intolerance could do so, and I know there are many, many causes of it.

But, yes...certainly a connection between FASD and seizures. There's a knowledgeable mom on the board about FASD... littleWMN