Menu

It's time for the annual Christmas gift HITS and MISSES thread! Post yours here!

Almost all hits here!!! :D Most played with so far:

Digital cams for dd12 and ds8. It is like the paparazzi is in my house-lol

Dd12 also loves the mp3 w/ video and Pride and Prejudice paper dolls.

Ds8- crossbow from Vision Forum and Air Hogs remote helicopter (and of

course the massive number of Legos-he has lots of aunts/uncles)

Dh: vintage copper/brass chess set from Greece w/ mini Greek figures

me: merino wool long sleeve undershirt and socks, all the cashmere stuff from

the Land's End sale: I will finally be WARM!! good books!

No misses at all for dc except a wrestling doll and a singing doll for the dc from one aunt, but she got them a TON of other stuff they loved.

The only miss for dh was his Land's End coat-he absolutely LOVED it to death but it came with a rip in it and they have no more in stock!!!! And won't be restocking this particular one!

List your hits and misses-it's so much fun to read them!

Chris in Va, That does sound stinky. Especially the part about what your ds did with the cash from his aunt. Ugh.

:grouphug:

Praying he sees the light, Chris. Would love prayers for the same for my dsd. While she is not astray in the same direction as your ds, she is astray all the same. I love that girl, and we get along fabulously. But still; prayers for her would be appreciated.

We do the 3 present thing and some stocking stuffers, mostly thrift store or dollar store finds. But we do try to get one nicer new thing.

DS#3's nicer thing was a pretty cool sled. (and it was the one thing on his Christmas list I could do) It has yet to snow. It *always* snows here. It's usually solid snow for 3 months AT LEAST. I don't know what's going on, but no snow in sight. It is a bummer to get a sled and not be able to use it. I kind of bombed with his littler things too. :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug: to Bethany & Chris!

We didn't have any real misses here as far as presents go; the kids liked what they got. It was just a fairly lean year. If it weren't for my parents, the kids wouldn't have had anything.

The biggest miss was DH's attitude. We haven't had a great Christmas. That and the flat tire on Christmas day when we were trying to do a good deed and drop off the glasses a friend forgot at church. The tire is ruined and we can't replace it right now, so not sure what we will do. :(

Hits for the boys: Swing Set, Laser Light guns, and Skylanders

Hits for Dh: Firepit, Gas Tank on wheels (for fueling the boat), new cell phone

Hits for me: The entire collection of Walking Dead graphic novels, Walking Dead Season 1 DVD, Nikon camcorder, and a new Gateway computer (my old computer was 10 years old, and Quickbooks wouldn't run on it anymore). I also love the new Nutcrackers my boys added to my collection. <3

Misses for the boys: their own set of tools, and the wooden tool box to build. I thought they would love it, and they've barely even looked at them. :(

Miss for Dh: none. But one item I really wanted to get for him was on backorder. Thankfully, he has a January birthday, so hopefully I'll be able to find one by then.

Miss for me: none. It was my best Christmas ever.

Are stars and stripes winter scarves popular somewhere for teen boys?

Hogwarts? :D

HITS: Just Dance 3 and the Karaoke machine. We had such a BALL with all the family over Christmas night! iHome headphones were total hits with dd14 and ds12.

Only slight MISS was that Zelda Skyward Sword requires a Wii accessory that we do not have, so ds has not played it yet.

Hits:

Everything dinosaur for DS11

The $1 dice in different colors we got on our trip to Vegas. Everyone now has 6 of their own color so I can tell who left theirs out :tongue_smilie: I got tired of it being no one. They have been playing Greedy with the dice for hours. (And yes each of my kids has a "color" that I buy plates, etc in :tongue_smilie:)

The Smithsonian Animal Encyclopedia they had at Costco! LOVE it! Thank you Uncle!

Misses:

Somehow when I ordered my DS11's jeans from Gap I didn't get a slim but a husky so now he can't wear them and I have to find time to take them back.

No real misses here this year. Both girls actually declared it their best Christmas ever. The biggest hits were Boo-Boo's Kinect from Santa and a doll house from Grandma. Sweet-Pea's biggest hits were her Nook Simple Touch and a 4-foot tall sock monkey.

Dh and I decided to buy a new TV for the living room this year as our gift to each other and we got a new sewing machine from MIL. It was a lovely Christmas overall.

Hits: New Bikes for both.

DD1: 1 yard of fur fabric whoda thunk?

DD2: Play Dough and make-up kit

No real misses so far.

My Hit: SMART PHONE!!!! I had a blackberry that, I would swear, is NEGATIVE G, but now I have a smartphone that is 4 G. Oh. My. And I got my Zo bread machine :) :) :)

Mostly all hits here.

Dh's favorites: Steve Jobs' biography, vest, car stereo (from me). His only miss: a fancy tea press from my mom (he used to drink a lot of tea, but doesn't drink much anymore). Oh, well.

Ds's favorites: iPod Nano, Super Nintendo console and three games he wanted, Nintendo belt, t-shirts. Miss: t-shirt my SIL got him, that's not really his style. It's hard when you don't live close.

My favorites: Kindle Touch, dashboard holder for my iPhone, poster of a photo collage made by ds (he's getting interested in photography). No misses for me, although I haven't tried on the sweater my SIL got me yet, and it might be a little snug. But I'm trying to lose weight, so I'm sure it'll fit next winter.

Wendi

The kids' gifts were all hits. The girls asked for a dollhouse to share and the boys received lincoln logs and imaginext batman stuff. I dyed a bunch of playsilks. Kiddos are happy.

Dh really tried. He bought me two pair of really ugly boots (one pair in black, one pair in brown) two sizes larger than I wear. You'd think after 13 years of marriage he would know my shoe size.... :lol:

The new puppy makes up for that mistake, so all is forgiven!

All hits! Fave gifts: Tickets for my 4 older kids to see TobyMac in concert in January, a framed Troy Polamalu poster and Steelers bean bag chair (FREE from a generous soul advertising it on Craigslist!) for ds12, 3 horseback riding lessons for dd6 (great deal found last minute on Groupon for a place only 10 minutes from us!), Ripstick for ds8, lots of Batman and Baltimore Raven stuff for ds10. Hard to surprise the teens, but the TobyMac tickets were certainly a surprise!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to Bethany and Chris. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

The biggest hit here was that there was happiness and joy -- last year we were reeling from daughter Stacey's pregnancy loss late in her 2nd tri.

That being said, all of us here were mindful of and in prayer for friends whose 12 year old son drowned in a tragic accident in September. I just could not stop thinking of their family yesterday (or any other day).

The kids loved their gifts, and we all loved that we had such a special Christmas Eve: Botanical Gardens, Mass at the Basilica and then dinner out.

Praise G-d!:)

Many hits here. Among the top were handknit socks and micro-RC cars for ds2. The cars were a last-minute attempt to even out the loot and were a surprise success. The only misses were minor: ds2 got a dark chocolate bar in his stocking and he doesn't like dark chocolate, and dh and dd are a bit disappointed that they didn't get handknit socks this year. Lately dh has been raving over his only pair of handknit socks, so I think I will try to make him a few more pairs this year.

Hits:

We got a karaoke machine and cd's for the kids. We have been having concerts all day and they are working on the songs together. Huge Hit!

Santa had some fun teasing with bacon items this year. Fudge, air freshener, socks, toothpicks, and Chapstick. Who knew you could get so many bacon themed items?

No misses so far.

Dh really tried. He bought me two pair of really ugly boots (one pair in black, one pair in brown) two sizes larger than I wear. You'd think after 13 years of marriage he would know my shoe size.... :lol:

I got boots in the wrong size, too... after 13 years of marriage! :lol:

I bought dd a skirt that is too short. I also bought dh a game (that he has played with friends but we don't have) that, unbeknownst to me, HE bought for the kids. Phooey.

Well, I think I have you beat! We have been married almost 11 years and I got granny panties that were at least 5 sizes too big and a set of measuring cups :001_huh:. Let's just say, DH needs some serious help in the gift department.

Biggest hit with DD5: DS Lite.

Biggest hit with DD4: Melissa & Doug Wooden Foldout Castle.

Other big hit with DD4: a very fancy dress that some friends bought her - my first thought was "what?" but she is crazy about it.

Other favs: tabletop air hockey, sleeping bags, pillow pets

Probably a delayed reaction: Guitar. I think they will like it once they really figure out what to do with it.

Miss: some stone jewelry a friend ("Auntie") got them. They both separately opened the boxes (purportedly from Santa) and then gave them to Auntie saying, "you can have this, I don't want it." LOL. Today Auntie revealed that she'd bought them, and DD4 said "that's what I've wanted my whole life." LOL.

Hit: DH ~ his remote control truck. Traxxas Stampede 4x4, french press and coffee

Miss: DH ~ truck came with a broken part so he's gotta go to the store tomorrow, tea kettle that leaked

Hits for the girls: Playmobil sets (their new love), remote control trucks

Misses for the girls: shoes bought in the wrong size, duplicate playmobil set, they are having a hard time waiting for the corrections

Hit for me: Ice cream attachment for the Kitchenaid

Only miss was an AirHog racer that needs to be returned because it didn't work.

Good hits: Ds8's new pet snake. Ds11's ipod shuffle.

Both loved their new legos and video games.

Dh and the boys surprised me with some vintage crocks for my kitchen. I collect antique/vintage kitchen utensils and such. They each picked out 1. I have a nice trio and the perfect place to put them.

My brother got my name this year and got me a very cool changing color ipod dock. Love it!

My own personal hit is a pair of slippers from dh. They are Manitobah.ca moccasins and they are amazing! This is me (lots of me) doing the happy dance! :party:

Ds12 has been playing with the RC helicopter constantly.

Ds6 spends all day alternating between the kiddie digital camera and the Star Wars Play-Doh kit. His older sister likes the camera, and *all* the kids have been enjoying the Play-Doh. :lol:

Dd9 is thrilled with a mini American girl and book set (<3 Costco!).

Dd2 likes her older sister's boots and her brother's Play-Doh. She tried to walk off with that AG doll, too, but she was intercepted.

We've all been playing with the Perfection game. (I love it when the kids enjoy playing the board games I had as a kid.)

The magic kit (wand, handkerchief, sponge balls, trick cards) was a miss. Oh well. You can't win 'em all.

The biggest hit this year for my daughter is the Kindle Fire. She loves downloading apps, music and books. She also loves her Fijit Friend and all the books she got which include a whole set of Little House books, a National Geographic almanac and a book on the Titanic.

My biggest hits were Amazon and Barnes and Nobles gift cards. I can't wait to use them!

Dh loved his new wallet and his CBD gift card.

We had no misses this year:001_smile:

Everyone very happy this year. I am SUPER happy, because neither child had a meltdown. ;)

DD- Biggest hit, a Playmobil Horse Barn. It's so awesome I caught DS playing with it too. Minor miss-- the socks that my sis knitted her don't fit, apparently she didn't use sock yarn and so they don't stretch enough to go over her heels. Oh well, DD is so cheery she immediately adopted use of them as mittens, instead. :001_smile:

DS- Lego. You can't miss with Lego.

DH- The Snap Circuits I bought for DS. :lol: I bought the biggest set and while I'm sure DS will be into them after the Lego has worn off, DH is into them big time in the meantime.

Me- DH surprised me with an awesome little rugged, waterproof video camera. And I got a lot of books from my mom, yay! She also gave me a weird sweater I'm going to have to return/exchange but oh well, I kind of like an excuse to go shopping. ;)

Oh, and the Spyro's Adventure for the Wii, wow, DD and DH have been playing it non-stop today!

Hits:

DH: The remote control helicopter I picked out for him. He looooves it. :D

Me: The Canon Rebel camera DH got me, the fleece pj's DD picked out for me, and the KA attachments from my parents.

DD: Hands down, her My American Girl doll from Santa.

DS5: HUGE set of Thomas the Train with stations and sheds and a big crane and lots of new trains.

DS2: More Thomas the Train.

Misses (not that many):

One of the pairs of fuzzy socks DH got me already had a huge hole in it.

DS5: *Hated* the pj's I got him for Christmas Eve. Flat out refused to wear them. But guess what he's wearing tonight. :glare:

We had a very blessed Christmas this year. :)

We had a great Christmas!

My mom got DH a Waring Pro double waffle iron! It flips and beeps when it is done. She got me a new set of Caliphon pots and pans!!! I have never been so excited about a gift!!!! I was completely surprised. I have wanted absent for years. I currently have my mom's pans from before she got Caliphon. They are older than me. I also have a set of Pampered Chef pans from my wedding shower, but they are in bad shape after 11 years or use.

DH is getting me (us) a new fridge because ours is too small for what will soon be a family of 5 and again...it OS older than me!

DS loved Lego Pirates of the Caribbean for Wii from us, his Slave trader legos from my parents, and Mario Yatzee from my sister.

DD has played constantly with her Hello Kitty duplo doll house from us, and loved the giant bag of hair accessories, bracelets, rings, and necklaces from my sister.

The kids also received a box of art supplies from my parents!!

Miss.....bikes. :( So far they have each done two pedals and then come inside. Maybe they will like them when it warms up. At least we got a good deal on Craigslist. $20 each is better than $60 each for something they don't like.

The biggest hit were the gifts for my nieces and nephews. They girls did not put their purses down all night after I gave them to them. Two of my SILs have asked me to make them for their birthdays. :) I was so happy, I spent hours making the bags. We gave the boys Beyblades and sent them to the garage. It was the quietest family get together ever.

Hits: A Keurig coffee maker for dh, a unique locally made shirt for dd and a beautiful infinity scarf that will go with just about anything, Lego Atlantis sets for ds, especially the Gateway of the Squid!!!! and a disc shooter (so now there are discs all over the house. He and Daddy can chase each other and shoot.)

Misses: from my mother. LOL Ds received a heavy horse head that was supposed to be a stick horse, but there is no stick. A broom handle is too big to work. Dh got a rock and a nail file. (The rock is a cut and polished one that I wanted, but he didn't.) and I got a Pyrex Bake-A-Round from the 1970s!! I don't really bake yeast breads and this thing will also take up a good amount of space. That is all we got from her. Our dd liked her gift, so all was not lost. We also brought along a new Lego kit, so our son had something to play. I don't think that gift giving is one of my mother's strengths.

Niece 17months: a toy vacuum cleaner (which was also a hit with her two year old cousin :tongue_smilie:), a kimono style pjs that she didn't want to take off to put on her Christmas dress :D, and a bunch of wooden toy cars I got at a sale earlier in the year.

My dad: A kindle.

Everyone else was very happy, but those were the very clear hits.

I really used the suggestions from a former "Hits and Misses" thread to round out our Christmas gifts. Thanks for suggestions from the past.

These were suggested and were hits here:

• Rocket Balloon Launcher for both
  • Book "Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction" for ds, 14 (He has made "weapons" non stop for days!)
  • "Baby Cakes" mini donut maker for dd, 12
  • "The Mary Frances Sewing Book" for dd
  • Book "Founding Gardeners" for dh

Hits for the boys: Scooters. They have been on them since they opened them Sunday am.

For dd 13: An iPod touch

For my older kids: Superfood and other vitamins

For dh: Croc work shoes....oh so comfy!!

For me: an electric tea pot.

We kept it all relatively simple....just spent time with each other...and enjoyed it greatly.

Faithe

No misses here and at least one huge hit.

DS 5: Big gift was a big Rokenbok set with RC vehicles and extra blocks. Wow, this stuff is so fun!!! DH picked it out and I'm so glad he insisted on the extra vehicles because we are all having a great time playing with it together. I'm including a link because I had never heard of this toy until we saw it recently at a children's museum.

We had such a nice Christmas; I think one of the best things was that we paid for everything cash. We've done this the last few years, but we've had pretty small Christmases. This year I would say we bordered on overdoing it, but it was cash. :)

I don't think we had any misses, nothing needs to be returned. Greatest hits? My Kindle Fire, dh's gift that he said "blew him away" (I don't even know what I got him, something for the garage that he mentioned he wanted briefly 6 months ago!) and for the kids - they love the last minute Thomas train pillow pets we got, the walkable Littlest Pet Shops, the legos, oh, and my son got a wheelbarrow with tools and orange cones, so he can "work" on our backyard. Had a great day.

HUGE HIT here is the Skylander's game for Wii. My ds got it, but my dd has been playing it with him. (That is HUGE because they usually argue most of the time).

DD loved her jammie bottoms and elmo shirt and the family gift of a trampoline.

I am loving my second gel floor mat thingy for my kitchen. I had one, but I wanted another for the other workspace in my kitchen (one by the sink and now one by the bar).

Misses - legos - I keep getting them for my ds hoping he will want to do more than video games, etc. I know he will play them when I say no ELECTRONICS, but overall - he is not jumping up and down excited over them.

Miss for my dd - got her a hoodie she has been wanting, but it is way too big.

Other than that - really great gifts and everybody is really happy.