Menu

Question of the day! Do you re-wash a "returned" dish?

I rewash not because of invisible cooties, but because it likely sat around since washing, maybe on a counter, near raw meat or something, then bounced around in a trunk or back seat....so, kind of yucked out by that, so I'll just toss it in the dishwasher and know it's really clean!

From the Unusual Actions of In-laws Files (UAIF):

One IL brought a dish to share. Most of it was eaten and the Bringer IL instructed the Hostess IL to simply scrape the remains in the garbage and insert the very dirty pan into the plastic bag the Bringer IL was holding open just for that purpose. Hostess IL told Bringer IL that she would wash it out quickly in the sink filled with warm sudsy water and turned to do so.

Bringer IL shouted out NO! Just put it in the bag! Which Hostess IL hurriedly did.

I was Innocent Bystander IL and I still haven't figured out what THAT was all about. It was an ordinary Pyrex 13 x 9 dish. And Bringer IL didn't leave for quite a while after that. IOW, it wasn't a special dish or they weren't in a hurry to leave.

Just another story for the UAIF...

Funny, it never occurred to me to rewash a returned dish, unless it obviously hadn't been cleaned.

I understand everyone's valid points about not knowing where it had been, collecting dust, bouncing around in dirty cars, etc. I'm just not that nutty about germs. Especially if said dish is going into a hot oven anyway, the heat will kill anything that may have been on it.

My friends are clean people and I trust them ;).

I understand everyone's valid points about not knowing where it had been, collecting dust, bouncing around in dirty cars, etc. I'm just not that nutty about germs. Especially if said dish is going into a hot oven anyway, the heat will kill anything that may have been on it.

I wasn't assuming it was a casserole dish that would go in a hot oven.

I inspect it, sniff it... if it seems truly clean, into the cupboard it goes. If there is any trace of anything, it gets rewashed. I certainly don't rewash it based on invisible cooties. ;)

:iagree: I don't think I've ever had a dish returned dirty, but do look it over.

From the Unusual Actions of In-laws Files (UAIF):

One IL brought a dish to share. Most of it was eaten and the Bringer IL instructed the Hostess IL to simply scrape the remains in the garbage and insert the very dirty pan into the plastic bag the Bringer IL was holding open just for that purpose. Hostess IL told Bringer IL that she would wash it out quickly in the sink filled with warm sudsy water and turned to do so.

Bringer IL shouted out NO! Just put it in the bag! Which Hostess IL hurriedly did.

I was Innocent Bystander IL and I still haven't figured out what THAT was all about. It was an ordinary Pyrex 13 x 9 dish. And Bringer IL didn't leave for quite a while after that. IOW, it wasn't a special dish or they weren't in a hurry to leave.

Just another story for the UAIF...

I always rewash. But what you mentioned is just bizarre. I mean, at least let the person wash the dish and then rewash at home. Why anyone would want to carry around a dirty dish is very strange to me.