Menu

Question of the day! Do you re-wash a "returned" dish?

From the Unusual Actions of In-laws Files (UAIF):

One IL brought a dish to share. Most of it was eaten and the Bringer IL instructed the Hostess IL to simply scrape the remains in the garbage and insert the very dirty pan into the plastic bag the Bringer IL was holding open just for that purpose. Hostess IL told Bringer IL that she would wash it out quickly in the sink filled with warm sudsy water and turned to do so.

Bringer IL shouted out NO! Just put it in the bag! Which Hostess IL hurriedly did.

I was Innocent Bystander IL and I still haven't figured out what THAT was all about. It was an ordinary Pyrex 13 x 9 dish. And Bringer IL didn't leave for quite a while after that. IOW, it wasn't a special dish or they weren't in a hurry to leave.

Just another story for the UAIF...

Umm....well...I tend to quietly move my dish (including whatever bits of food may be left) into my car before anyone has to trouble themselves washing it, and that may have been the in-law's intention also. I think of it as being a kindness done for the hostess, that they don't have to wash my pan/dish after kindly welcoming us for a meal. I try to do it very unobtrusively, though after reading your story, I'm wondering now if I'm just very veeery strange. :001_unsure: :blushing:

Umm....well...I tend to quietly move my dish (including whatever bits of food may be left) into my car before anyone has to trouble themselves washing it, and that may have been the in-law's intention also. I think of it as being a kindness done for the hostess, that they don't have to wash my pan/dish after kindly welcoming us for a meal. I try to do it very unobtrusively, though after reading your story, I'm wondering now if I'm just very veeery strange. :001_unsure: :blushing:

I know what you mean. I've done the same thing as you. We do that to lessen the stress of the hostess, or to be kind, etc...

The strange part was shouting at the hostess about washing a dish. It certainly doesn't lessen her stress or show kindness, KWIM?

I'm really glad you posted this, because I've secretly been feeling guilty all these years about the fact that I rewash. :tongue_smilie: Like I've been making some sort of judgement about the returner of the dish or something. Which I'm not, I swear! It's totally all me, and the fact that I just feel better having washed it myself.

Man, I over-think things sometimes. :D

I have a thing about dishes traveling in a car...so yes, I always wash them when they come in.

I don't really think that's rational.

:iagree:

From the Unusual Actions of In-laws Files (UAIF):

One IL brought a dish to share. Most of it was eaten and the Bringer IL instructed the Hostess IL to simply scrape the remains in the garbage and insert the very dirty pan into the plastic bag the Bringer IL was holding open just for that purpose. Hostess IL told Bringer IL that she would wash it out quickly in the sink filled with warm sudsy water and turned to do so.

Bringer IL shouted out NO! Just put it in the bag! Which Hostess IL hurriedly did.

I was Innocent Bystander IL and I still haven't figured out what THAT was all about. It was an ordinary Pyrex 13 x 9 dish. And Bringer IL didn't leave for quite a while after that. IOW, it wasn't a special dish or they weren't in a hurry to leave.

Just another story for the UAIF...

:001_huh::lol:

[quote name=unsinkable;3361540

The strange part was shouting at the hostess about washing a dish. It certainly doesn't lessen her stress or show kindness' date=' KWIM?

Oh yeah, I kwym. I just have this uneasy feeling that I could see myself doing that someday--'cause I'm getting older and weirder every day. :001_huh: I might not realize I've behaved irrationally like that. What if I keep my habit of sneaking the dish away, but then I see one day that I've missed my chance, then become agitated because I've failed to do the "kind" thing? :rolleyes:

I keep telling my kids to enjoy me now, because I'm going to probably be terribly difficult when I'm older. :D

Depends on who it came from..

Sil .. no, I just put it away.

Mil.. yes! It's not because she's my mil, but because she has poor eyesight, her own tupperware is always greasy even when it's "clean", and her cups often smell of ick. So, I thank her and put it on the counter and when I have a moment alone I sneak it in the dishwasher. ;)

I agree:

I rewash not because of invisible cooties, but because it likely sat around since washing, maybe on a counter, near raw meat or something, then bounced around in a trunk or back seat....so, kind of yucked out by that, so I'll just toss it in the dishwasher and know it's really clean!

Never know where it has been. Even if they washed it in front of me and I took it to the car - it is still not going straight into the cabinet.