Menu

Confession time! I've been dying to ask this...

Ok, I've read so many threads that makes it seem like the only stuff in people's homes are "educational". Like the thread about what to do when you are sick (kid's read, watch, do, breath "educational" things) or all of the threads that ask where to buy "educational" stuff.

So are there people out there that let their kids just read, watch, do at least some "twaddle"? Is this just a classical homeschooler thing (I'm not a classical homeschooler)? I don't mean "twaddle" all the time or anything. Or are people not inclined to talk about the twaddle in their home because it seems to be the unpopular thing on this board? Or do you really just not allow any twaddle at all or what?!?!

Confess the truth about the twaddle in your home...if you dare!!;)

My confession: I read twaddle books as a kid and watched twaddle shows. My girls have twaddle books and watch twaddle shows. I don't have a problem with some twaddle!

ETA: I got the "twaddle" word from this board, I don't use it IRL.

Edited by MissKNG

I let my kids read and watch whatever they choose, as long as it isn't entirely inappropriate for their age or anything.

I've never used the word "twaddle" in my life and never will. We just call it "fun," I guess. :)

~Nance (who identifies as a "relaxed homeschooler" rather than a "classical homeschooler")

I freely admit to some twaddle here. The last thread was about the boys book series. My oldest DS has an occasional love of Captain Underpants, Animorphs and Star Trek books. :D Eye candy for him.

We also have a Wii, which I think is pretty much twaddle. Sure, some of it can be called exercise, but so can a nature walk ... or other things that get you out in the fresh air. We allow some Wii though.

And just now my son was down on the computer playing some stupid game from a website. Spanish on the computer was done so he "earned" his twaddle time.

My 8 year old watches mostly what she wants and mostly for how long she wants to (to an extent). She self monitors pretty well. Her favorites right now are Jessie (I'm on the fence about this one) and Good Luck Charlie. There are some days when I have had enough or I think she has watched too much TV and I tell her it's time to turn it off and do something else.

HOWEVER...about 75% of the time she's 'watching' tv, she's coloring, drawing, writing books or stories, etc so that makes it better in my mind. My husband fussed one time about the amount of tv she was watching. I asked him to start paying attention to what she is doing when the tv is on. He shut up real quick when he realized she was actually writing a book and the tv was just on as background noise. :lol:

My kids watch way too much tv. Most of it is educational, but they watch some crappy tv shows sometimes, too. (I think they saw an episode of Pokemon earlier.) We have toys.....not really educational and twaddle. I guess some have more redeeming value than others. I try to steer my kids to good books, but the series that got my older daughter reading was called Magic Pony Carousel, which we found at a yard sale, and after discovering that she was voluntarily sitting down and READING, I went and bought copies of the volumes our local library did not have. And we eat junk food.

I certainly don't hold myself to only reading or watching educational tv shows.

down time, time for twaddle, is important to me. Yes, my dd gets it but not as much as I wish she did, nor as much as SHE wishes she could. We're working on it.

I can't imagine making her only read books for her education. She doesn't watch much tv, due to lack of time, but she can watch some kid shows...... she loves to watch Ellen.

She just spent the afternoon in her tree house with a friend. They did lots of silly, ridiculous, kid things. I love to see her like this. Puberty is right around the corner. It's going to be gone soon. :crying:

Ummm...for a long time Pigby would only read Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield, and Peanuts comic books. We would do "school" and all, but for his personal choice, those are what he'd always pick up. I must admit to have been worried that he'd never progress beyond those things, but I think he'll be ok.

We borrowed a Reading Rainbow DVD from the library and they had a story about Paul Bunyan so Pigby requested books about tall tales. I got a bunch and he's been reading those. I don't know that I'd call them educational, so I guess they're twaddle. Maybe?:confused:

Right now, they're playing Crossfire. I suppose that would count as twaddle, unless shooting marbles out of a gun is somehow educational.

For other twaddle, he and Digby watch one movie a day while I wash dishes. Those are all definitely twaddle: Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks animation, Sony Animation, Alvin and the Chipmuncks, Blue's Clues, VeggieTales, etc.

I am not going to lie though. The BEST thing we have ever done is get rid of the TV. I just did not have any self-control over the dang thing. I can handle a little twaddle. But that just cut out the majority of it. Life is much better without it. However, if things like Netflix and Hulu didn't exist though, I would never have gotten rid of the TV. Just saying:lol:

We have a Wii. That's pure twaddle.

We play on Webkinz. (I love Webkinz!) Pure twaddle.

The kids love Dora the Explorer STILL. Twaddle with a pinch of Spanish.

And I'll read whatever in the world they want to read. Sometimes twaddle. (I'll lost control of that when they are better readers, I'm sure.)

We proudly enjoy some "twaddle" here too. We do read educational and classical books and play educational games, but we also all watched Tangled the other night and the kids love the new Thundercats show. We have a Wii and like to play together. I have a few shows and book series that I like that are just for fun. Why can't my kids?

Twaddle? Me?? Nevah!

But we have been known to

....stay in our jammies until it's time to get back in them and watch the Jersey Housewives re-runs (sociology)

....remark on how lovely the day is and decide to go around the corner and walk through the park (nature study/PE)

....WHAT?! it's snowing in October?!?! put on Christmas music & make cookies (home ec)

....can you believe what happened yesterday?! this calls for a Starbucks. right. now. (student counseling)

....the new Harry movie is coming out soon! we should watch ALL of the old ones so we're "ready" for the new one! (current events, cultural knowledge)

But twaddle? Nah, not us.

We have never been a family that focuses on nothing but educational items and activities; however, we do see educational value in everything we do. Yes, reading and playing are all learning. We cannot do anything in life without learning along the way.

Twaddle makes life worth living, IMHO.

All work and no play makes Beth a dull woman.

We have a Wii. That's pure twaddle.

We play on Webkinz. (I love Webkinz!) Pure twaddle.

The kids love Dora the Explorer STILL. Twaddle with a pinch of Spanish.

Webkinz rocks, although Pizza Palace is my nemesis. :toetap05: And I really, really want that pink Whimsical Dragon this Christmas.

Dare I admit that my favorite coffee cup is a Dora coffee mug? :tongue_smilie:

My older son is currently playing Xbox. When he first got home from school (he attends PS as a high school senior) he spent some time playing his guitar. He takes his final SAT subject tests tomorrow, so I think he's relaxing before a late study session.

The younger son (part-time PS/part-time homeschooled) generally tries to get all of his homework and homeschool work done by 4pm so he can watch Ellen. He is extra happy if he gets done really early so he doesn't miss Anderson. He also plays video games for some period of time on weekends.

I think we strike a good balance between the books and the junk.

Webkinz rocks, although Pizza Palace is my nemesis. :toetap05: And I really, really want that pink Whimsical Dragon this Christmas.

Dare I admit that my favorite coffee cup is a Dora coffee mug? :tongue_smilie:

Pizza Palace is MY game!!! I can now get to level 15 regularly now. I'm so proud of that. :D

I can also cook a full dinner in between levels. :lol:

Edited by Jennifer3141

I try to push the educational stuff as much as I can. Until I need to do things which require children to be right out from under my feet. Then I reach for the Wii, DSs, Spongebob, Garfield, Ben 10. Sometimes we go for long periods without any of these things. At other times we have a week off school so that I can catch up on all the other things I should be doing with my life, and then they binge for hours on such junk. I do feel guilty. Well, a bit.

Our kids have picked up our tastes for both twaddle AND good literature and media. I think we're all doing OK. :) They can read whatever they like and can fit in between their school readings because we've taught them all to have good discernment between twaddle and just plain crap. Plus we have a nice home library to browse and *I* control what it contains! LOL

I personally think "twaddle" in moderation is fine. Just like junk food. There's, IMO, nothing wrong with just kicking back and indulging in something that's light and easy and just plain fun.

However, I think there's a lot to be said for setting the bar high. I'm super, super picky about the foods my children eat for their first couple of years, and when we started allowing movies, I made sure the first several they watched were ones that I considered to be very good. With books too -- I have always tried to read them high-quality literature, and if they then choose to read twaddle sometimes, that's okay. :)

I let my kids read and watch whatever they choose, as long as it isn't entirely inappropriate for their age or anything.

~Nance (who identifies as a "relaxed homeschooler" rather than a "classical homeschooler")

:iagree: my kiddo's big into video games and other electronics (cell phone-ipods-etc) so there is alot of that going on in between studies or on free days or whatever....he can watch whatever as long as it's age appropriate......:lol: never heard of :bigear:"twaddle" before LOL

Edited by SweetMissMagnolia

I've never used the word "twaddle" in my life and never will. We just call it "fun," I guess. :)

Tmi

Edited by LibraryLover

I personally think "twaddle" in moderation is fine. Just like junk food. There's, IMO, nothing wrong with just kicking back and indulging in something that's light and easy and just plain fun.

However, I think there's a lot to be said for setting the bar high. I'm super, super picky about the foods my children eat for their first couple of years, and when we started allowing movies, I made sure the first several they watched were ones that I considered to be very good. With books too -- I have always tried to read them high-quality literature, and if they then choose to read twaddle sometimes, that's okay. :)

:iagree:

I agree with this. As long as the content isn't totally age inappropriate our kids watch and read whatever they want to. I really hate the word twaddle, just typing it makes me cringe. I like to read for fun, I don't like my reading material to be heavy and deep unless I'm researching something. When I'm sick, like can barely drag myself out of bed sick, my kids can do whatever they like as long as they don't burn the house down or do anything that would cause them or a sibling to lose a limb.

I cannot repeat STAR WARS enough! OMG Star Wars books, Star Wars visual dictionaries & encyclopedias, Star Wars Legos, Star Wars movies, Star Wars action figures, Star Wars ships......

Oh, you've been to my house? I am SO SICK of Star Wars! Bring back the Sound of Music or LOTR obessions, pleeeeeeeease! Before having children, I put my foot down and said "No Barney, no Barbie in my house." (No offense intended; those two are just my personal pet peeves.) Going on ten years, and we are still blessedly free of the annoying purple dinosaur and the blonde chick with all the shoes. Wish I'd included Star Wars in there too.

(And the Rainbow Magic fairy books. So glad DD got tired of them, because the plots looked to be all the same. At least when I read Baby-Sitters Club books, the plots varied a bit.)

My kids , with the exception of being at grams house never watch twaddle. They also never listen to twaddle books, or read them.

Mind you my kids don't watch tv. They just don't like to. My eldest is newly into reading and likes reading off the sunlight lists. My youngest is still working on CVC words, couldn't read twaddle if he wanted to.

Mind you if I want to keep sounding twaddle free I should refrain from mentioning that they play RIFT. We have one rift account for the family. Both kids now how to play, my eldest can easily navigate the maps, and whatever else you can do in the games. All my boys (this includes my husband) watch how to play RIFT stuff and talk about strategy, and other things that i consider boring.

I am for the most part the only one in the family who watches tv. But Bones and Castle are not twaddle! :tongue_smilie:

Ummm...for a long time Pigby would only read Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield, and Peanuts comic books. We would do "school" and all, but for his personal choice, those are what he'd always pick up. I must admit to have been worried that he'd never progress beyond those things, but I think he'll be ok.

We borrowed a Reading Rainbow DVD from the library and they had a story about Paul Bunyan so Pigby requested books about tall tales. I got a bunch and he's been reading those. I don't know that I'd call them educational, so I guess they're twaddle. Maybe?:confused:

Right now, they're playing Crossfire. I suppose that would count as twaddle, unless shooting marbles out of a gun is somehow educational.

For other twaddle, he and Digby watch one movie a day while I wash dishes. Those are all definitely twaddle: Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks animation, Sony Animation, Alvin and the Chipmuncks, Blue's Clues, VeggieTales, etc.

I am not going to lie though. The BEST thing we have ever done is get rid of the TV. I just did not have any self-control over the dang thing. I can handle a little twaddle. But that just cut out the majority of it. Life is much better without it. However, if things like Netflix and Hulu didn't exist though, I would never have gotten rid of the TV. Just saying:lol:

Calvin and Hobbes is NOT twaddle. You take that back!

DONE! :lol:

I was mostly worried that he'd try to copy Calvin's crazy (and unsafe) shenanigans, but so far all he's done is make a duplicator out of a diaper box and have me refer to him as #3 and dress up as Stupendous Man for Halloween. Digby on the other hand will not be allowed to read C&H until he's 15 at least! That kid is already crazy enough. I have a feeling he'll pull some stunts even without the help :lol:

I don't believe in twaddle. But that doesn't mean what you may assume :D.

Since my kids work hard, they also get down time to play, and play-- relaxed, unprogrammed, just fun play, is important to a healthy person and is therefore not twaddle.

It doesn't hurt their brains to read comics. It doesn't hurt their brains to read fun and funny and even sarcastic books. Run outside and bonk each other on the head is a wonderful game.

My kids are currently watching "The Simpsons Movie."

I'd defend it, except I don't need to . . . because there's nothing wrong with it :).

Yes, in some of my posts it sounds as if I'm killing my kids with work, but we take vacation days, and when their work is done, or if we just decide to have an off day, they're "off-duty." Sometimes, they actually pick up their school books anyway, but if they choose to watch The Simpsons, I'm okay with that! And it is not "twaddle." It's recreation, which is important to the brain and to becoming a human being, just as sleep is :).

Yeah... :lol:

My 5 yr old LOVES to read Calvin and Hobbes. I figure they're educational. Have you seen the vocabulary Watterson uses in these cartoons?!

(Okay, I admit, my ds has tried to start a GROSS club. His sisters haven't exactly gone for that idea. Sigh.)

DONE! :lol:

I was mostly worried that he'd try to copy Calvin's crazy (and unsafe) shenanigans, but so far all he's done is make a duplicator out of a diaper box and have me refer to him as #3 and dress up as Stupendous Man for Halloween. Digby on the other hand will not be allowed to read C&H until he's 15 at least! That kid is already crazy enough. I have a feeling he'll pull some stunts even without the help :lol:

Thanks!

The kids on my cul-de-sac actually play Calvin Ball.

Thanks!

The kids on my cul-de-sac actually play Calvin Ball.

Pigby has tried to start a game with Digby. I said "No" bc I don't want Pigby getting hurt. :lol:

(And just to be clear, I LOVE C&H. I only included it with the "twaddle" since I had never heard of "twaddle" before and didn't know exactly what it was. I am oh so educated now :tongue_smilie:)

I don't consider myself a classical homeschooler, but I do use a few classical things. As far as "twaddle"? Yes, we are twaddlers over here. :D And for the record, I've never used that word in my life LOL.

My kids favorite shows are My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake. We don't own very many classic books....my kids have oodles of those short character story books about Dora, Biscuit, The Bernstein Bears, etc. When we're sick, we don't do school or educational things at all....we watch TV and lie on the couch. We don't go to Disney for homeschool days....we go for the rides and characters.

Yes, I want my kids to be smart and well-rounded, but I also want them to have fun.

We do. Right now my kids are sitting in the room with me watching Stargate Atlantis on Hulu :D

We are watching that too! I consider Stargate a mini cultural history lesson ;) especially SG-1!

I cannot repeat STAR WARS enough! OMG Star Wars books, Star Wars visual dictionaries & encyclopedias, Star Wars Legos, Star Wars movies, Star Wars action figures, Star Wars ships......

We also have the Wii game....

DD is currently into My Little Ponies....on tv, toys, and books.

We have a lot of fun here. Part of the benefit of HS for us is that my kids can learn advanced subjects and still have time for the non-academic things they love.