Menu

Shortening in Cookies

What do you use for fat in your cookies?  

1. 1. What do you use for fat in your cookies?

• All butter
    • All shortening (i.e. Crisco)
    • All margarine
    • Some combination of butter, shortening, etc. (please explain)
    • Other

Real butter, always. Everyone raves about my chocolate chip cookies. I'm not tryin' to brag; but seriously, EVERYONE says how good they are. :D I just use the tollhouse recipe, honest. Nothing special. But you have to use real butter. Not margarine, and certainly not shortening.

(And don't overbake them. That's the other thing that will ruin a cookie every time.)

(And don't overbake them. That's the other thing that will ruin a cookie every time.)

:iagree: They need to still be soft when you take them out of the oven! They should be turning golden but they should still be somewhat soft. They will need to cool a couple of minutes before being removed to a rack. If they are firm when coming out of the oven, you've let them go too long.

I think most shop bought shortening contains hydrolyzed vegetable oil which turns into trans fats when heated. Many products also include genetically modified soy and/or corn.

The only oils/fats we use are butter, olive oil, sunflower oil and very occasionally organic beef dripping.

I only use butter for cookies.

Real butter, always. Everyone raves about my chocolate chip cookies. I'm not tryin' to brag; but seriously, EVERYONE says how good they are. :D I just use the tollhouse recipe, honest. Nothing special. But you have to use real butter. Not margarine, and certainly not shortening.

:iagree:

So far I'm the sole shortening (butter flavored crisco) user. I really only use it for Tollhouse cookies. My mom always made the best cookies and she started when shortening was on the official recipe. I have continued and they are always delicious.

I will also add that you need to take the cookies off the cookie sheet as soon as possible - don't let them cool on the cookie sheet or they will be too hard.

Lard and butter. Lard has less hydrogenated fat (aka trans fat) than shortening, and is much, much cheaper. It's also awesome in pie crust and biscuits.

I used coconut oil when I was a vegetarian, and that was a good substitute for butter or shortening. But it costs even more than butter.

No way would I bake with shortening. I try to avoid it in storebought stuff, too.

I think shortening is "gross" too and tastes processed. But whole foods sells a shortening that is all vegetable and totally non-hydrogenated (no trans-fat). And I am happy with that product. I do have "butter" cookies and other cookies made with this shortening, and yet others that are a blend. Depends on the recipe. People ask me for cookie recipes on a regular basis and I always recommend this shortening. It is "softer" than other shortening, but it's a good compromise. Refrigerating dough before baking and not over baking are important cookie quality things too. :D

I voted for the combination. I tend to use all butter for most cookies, but when I decide I want jumbo cookies, then I use half butter/half shortening, because it gives the cookies the best spread and they cook evenly. If I use all butter in jumbo cookies, the edges get too dark or thin. I've been in a jumbo cookie mood as of late, so right now most cookies from my kitchen are a combo.

Only butter.

Shortening leaves a greasy film at the top of your mouth when you use it, and it doesn't carry flavor.

Alton Brown's chocolate chip cookie recipe is *the best* it's called The Chewy. over 900 reviews and 5 stars, it's THAT good. Don't substitute ingredients-like he has bread flour as the flour-it won't come out right if you use regular flour.

OK, I have had it. I make terrible cookies and I'm wondering if it's the fat I'm using. So, if you make good cookies, please let me know what you use.

I used to use all butter, but my cookies were always flat and spread-out. Because shortening melts at a higher temperature, the cookies have time to rise and set.

I use Spectrum shortening, though, because Crisco is hydrogenated.

I used to use all butter, but my cookies were always flat and spread-out. Because shortening melts at a higher temperature, the cookies have time to rise and set.

I use Spectrum shortening, though, because Crisco is hydrogenated.

That's my problem. They flatten and spread out. THe edges are crispy. All of my cookies are a disgrace and I find that odd since I can bake excellent bread, people love my pies, but my cookies are just horrible.

I use butter. It has a certain taste that I need to feel like I'm getting a really good cookie.

For those who are getting flat cookies, your dough is not cold enough. It either needs to be chilled in the bowl or (my preference) chilled in the freezer while already on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes. Also, if you are making more than one sheet, the cookie sheet needs to either be cooled or you need to use another sheet for the next batch.

H'mm - so letting the butter soften at room temperature may be making it too warm to use successfully?

I let the butter soften at room temperature to make it easy to mix with. However, I then chill the dough in the fridge for several hours, or in the freezer for 10 minutes on the cookie sheet before it goes in the oven.

Only butter.

Shortening leaves a greasy film at the top of your mouth when you use it, and it doesn't carry flavor.

Alton Brown's chocolate chip cookie recipe is *the best* it's called The Chewy. over 900 reviews and 5 stars, it's THAT good. Don't substitute ingredients-like he has bread flour as the flour-it won't come out right if you use regular flour.

Yep, that is my choc chip cookie recipe too! It makes the best choc chip cookies ever. I believe it's the bread flour that makes the difference.

Only butter.

I'm going to have to try this. I love when recipes have you weigh ingredients. The recipe always comes out as intended.

It also sounds like you need to add a bit more flour. Most recipes do not have quite enough flour for a nice, plump cookie.

Cook at 25 to 50 degrees less than recommended and cook on parchment paper, that should also help. Cook until just a hint of light brown appears. Depending on your oven, you may have to rotate the cookies about 2/3 of the way through cooking time. Some ovens cook evenly and rotating is not needed.

And yes, butter!