Menu

Blogs are Mandatory??? (S/O Low post count thread)

In the other thread about low post counts, I read this post:

I understand the importance of the post count and am trying to post often to get the count up. Also, I understand a blog is mandatory too so I have been working diligently to establish one. :grouphug:

I also read this explanation (and there may be more by now:)

It is not that blogs are a "must" as they are proof that you are real!

Blogs help to link us all up to each other. I like them. :) OK, I am addicted to them!

I want to start by saying that I am not quoting these posts because I am angry or annoyed or anything like that. The concept that blogs are in any way "mandatory" or even "strongly preferred" is entirely new to me.

Why would it matter if I have a blog? Why would a blog make me "more real" than someone who didn't have one? We have all read stories about people who are not as they appear, so if I wanted to invent an entirely new online identity for myself, I would think it would be great fun to start a free blog somewhere and add a bunch of photos and comments. After all, I'd be trying to fool people and it would be part of the "gain peoples' trust" portion of my plan.

Personally, I hope blogs are not "mandatory" or even "strongly preferred," because I don't have one, and I can't imagine why anyone would want to read it even if I did. Speaking strictly for myself, I'm not that interesting, and I certainly have no inclination to post personal details or photos of myself and my family, as I think it would be more of an ego trip for me than for any other reason, as it's not like I have a ton of friends and family members who live far away and want to keep up with my life -- and I don't particularly want complete strangers to know everything about me, either.

Maybe it's because I'm quite a private person, but it's probably also because we had a personal security issue in the past, but I am amazed at how much personal and identifying information people share on their blogs -- I actually worry about some of our homeschool acquaintances, because anyone could read a few months worth of their blogs and be able to show up at their house at any time. If I had a blog, it would probably be so generic that anyone who clicked on my link would be bored to tears within minutes.

That said, I do enjoy reading blogs from time to time and find some of them to be very informative and entertaining. But I don't have time to set up my own right now (and if I did, it wouldn't be one of the more personal ones,) and would hate to think that others may believe I'm "not real" because I don't have one.

Have any of you other "non-bloggers" out there (and there must be more than just me, right? ;)) ever thought about the idea of seeming more or less real based upon whether or not you have a blog?

And again, CarolfromIL and ChrissySC, I only quoted your posts because I was wondering about this, not because I was in any way offended by your posts -- you both seem very nice -- but I wanted to know if this was a "majority opinion."

THANKS! :001_smile:

Some of us are just non-bloggy people. I tried to start one once but couldn't think of anything to say. Same thing for facebook for me.

I suppose that having a blog of posts about your life spread over the last year is an indication that your online persona is sort-of real, anyway.....even if you aren't real yourself. :D

No they are not mandatory. Back a bit ago when we were having issues with several trolls it was mentioned that it was easier to judge if someone was for real or not if they had a blog. That does not translate into mandatory to have. Not everyone enjoys having or reading blogs. There is no one here that is going to harass someone for not having one.

I have no blog, no Facebook account, etc and have posted about some of my beliefs which I am sure the majority consider pretty strange ;), so I suppose it's quite possible some folks may think I'm not "real." I have posted occasional links to my husband's blog because he has already addressed a question someone asked about our beliefs and how we got there, but it wasn't to show that I was "real." It was to avoid a lot of extra typing!:D

Since I haven't felt any great need to "prove" that I am "real" on this forum over the last 7 years or so that I've been posting (including the old board), no, can't say that I've worried about it.

At the time that thread was going, we had an onslaught of trolls and potstirrers. I belive the person who wrote the op about blogs was stating some of the steps she cognitively checks off when someone has gone on their radar as a troll/potstirrer. It is by no means full proof.

Thar was a difficult thread, because we had back to back trolls.

FWIW, I have one on my radar right now, but they are not being particularlly divisive at the moment, so I am content to let it be. :D

At the time that thread was going, we had an onslaught of trolls and potstirrers. I belive the person who wrote the op about blogs was stating some of the steps she cognitively checks off when someone has gone on their radar as a troll/potstirrer. It is by no means full proof.

Thar was a difficult thread, because we had back to back trolls.

FWIW, I have one on my radar right now, but they are not being particularlly divisive at the moment, so I am content to let it be. :D

ooohh totally curious now about who is making your trolldar ding. (I can't help it I am completely nosey)

I'm also quite a private person.. I have a blog, but it's not the kind of blog where my home and life details are really shared. It's just a place where I write random thoughts. I don't even write in it much - it's just there if I want it.

I don't think that having a blog, or not, makes much difference in the real stakes - after all, if you were really that bothered, you could create an elaborate online persona, complete with blogs and forum memberships and so forth - and who would really know? I suppose the only way anyone can prove that they are real is to have a network of boardies who know each other, so by different connections we end up meeting each other.

That was a difficult thread, because we had back to back trolls.

Ooops, sorry. In a thread a few months ago CarolfromIL had a similar post. I thought you (OP) were posting from that thread. Did not realize there was a entirely new thread on this, that Carol had just posted on. ;)

...and in case anyone is curious, Carol is not who has gone one my radar! :D

I enjoy looking at the blogs here from time to time. It made me want to start one. And, I actually did. But while working on it...it freaked me out that there was a thing that tells you how many people have viewed your blog...and there were views when I never had told a single soul about it yet (unless it was counting every time I personally went to it). That just made me uncomfortable and I switched it to private (there's no way I want some stranger on their computer looking at pics of my kid on my blog. Too weird). I figured I'd just invite my family (mom and sisters) to view it. But, I never ended up doing that either. I haven't added anything to the blog in months. I just don't have time. As far as I know...blogs here are *not* mandatory here(whoever said that has their wires crossed). If, for some reason, they ever did make it mandatory....then I'll just have to leave.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I was interrogated for suspicion of trollness after I'd been here for about a week. I refuse to lose sleep over that.

No, I don't have a blog, nor a facebook page, I don't post my real name or details of my kids, and I haven't been here for years.

One, I don't have time to keep a blog. Two, nobody would want to read it - except for someone whom I'm trying to avoid (weird ex, who is the reason I don't put our real names and stuff out there, either).

I have to say that I don't understand why the "troll alerts" here are so compelling. Personally if I sense a troll, I refrain from giving said troll any of my attention. I mean, what can they really do to me? We're only dealing in bits and bytes. (I guess a troll could byte me?)

Personally, I hope blogs are not "mandatory" or even "strongly preferred," because I don't have one, and I can't imagine why anyone would want to read it even if I did. Speaking strictly for myself, I'm not that interesting, and I certainly have no inclination to post personal details or photos of myself and my family, as I think it would be more of an ego trip for me than for any other reason, as it's not like I have a ton of friends and family members who live far away and want to keep up with my life -- and I don't particularly want complete strangers to know everything about me, either.

Maybe it's because I'm quite a private person, but it's probably also because we had a personal security issue in the past, but I am amazed at how much personal and identifying information people share on their blogs -- I actually worry about some of our homeschool acquaintances, because anyone could read a few months worth of their blogs and be able to show up at their house at any time. If I had a blog, it would probably be so generic that anyone who clicked on my link would be bored to tears within minutes.

Just wanted to add that :iagree: completely with the bolded parts you said (in regards to myself)....especially the bolded I underlined.

Cat, your OP describes exactly how I feel about blogs. I don't have a blog or a FB account. I am real, not a troll, but enjoy my anonymity. I have been on this board previously as 'myself'; however, a nosey family member who knew I came here found me (it's not difficult as there aren't many UK members) and reported back personal stuff to people who really should never have known. Once bitten, twice shy. It's sad, because although I feel a lot happier now being anonymous, I do feel as though I can't make real connections to anyone here, and I do so love you all :001_smile:.

Cassy

Another non-blogger here - for many of the reasons that Cat already mentioned. I am real, but if someone wants to think I'm fake, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I do know at least one other member here IRL if someone needs verification that I'm "real." :001_smile:

Originally Posted by Catwoman viewpost.gif

Just wanted to add that :iagree: completely with the bolded parts you said (in regards to myself)....especially the bolded I underlined.

:iagree: with what you "agreed" with. I don't have a blog, nor FB, and I have a pretty low post count for being here since 2008; however, I do know a few WTMers IRL and can assure you that I'm very real! :D

I love reading blogs but I don't think I could ever author one because I am dull. Plus I get really self-conscious When reading them because often times they make me feel like a total slacker. I do have friends who keep amazing blogs that I adore but it's just not me.

I hope I am not on somebody's radar as a troll. I have been a member a long time as I came to buy curriculm. Not to chat. Now I have started chatting some. I have a blog which is for quilting...not schooling.

If anybody ever asks I do have feedback on diaperswappers and ebay.

Jenn

ooohh totally curious now about who is making your trolldar ding. (I can't help it I am completely nosey)

Trolldar -- that's a great word! :D

I'm suspecting a certain poster at the moment and am wondering if it's the same one that simka2 has in mind...

BTW, I've started blogs twice. The first one fizzled quickly because I couldn't think of anything to write. The current one is for family/close friends only, has only about two readers, and I keep forgetting to write anything. I will leave the clever witty blogs with artistic photos for others to write, and I'll content myself with reading them!

I agree about the privacy issues. There is someone I'd prefer not be able to find me. Although, in this day and age, I'm sure it wouldn't take much. As someone else said, "once bitten, twice shy". I don't want to expose my children to anyone who may have some issues. I have a friend who bought something off ebay years ago who was harassed by the seller because she gave him negative feedback. Just too many unknowns...

One of the reasons we homeschool is because I love to read. And while I'm very outgoing in person, at home I prefer to read! I've been a member of several boards for years and have incredibly low post counts. Some of us are busy learning from all of you and don't want to post something if we don't feel we can really add to the conversation.

I took the blog requirement as tongue-in-cheek, but have seen several posts mentioning lack of a blog, low post count, and no fancy siggy line as being possible troll indicators. Honestly, I was clueless; I've never bothered with any of that except a blog and it's not public (not hs related). When the boards changed, our lives and homeschool were in an uproar so I didn't even re-register immediately or post very much. I post more now that my son has graduated. After all the years of getting good advice here, I wouldn't know how to buy an appliance without consulting the hive first. :D

I have to say that I don't understand why the "troll alerts" here are so compelling. Personally if I sense a troll, I refrain from giving said troll any of my attention. I mean, what can they really do to me? We're only dealing in bits and bytes. (I guess a troll could byte me?)
:lol:

I have a blog because I think it is fun and I like reading other blogs for ideas. I don't care if other posters have a blog or not though. I might remember a poster better from their siggy but it's not a requirement.

Thank you for all of your replies -- I have a high post count, but I haven't been around the forums very much this year, so when I recently returned, I thought I must have missed something re: the whole blog thing.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only blogless one! :001_smile:

No blog here, and a low post count to boot.

Does that mean I am imaginary or a troll? I sure hope not. I love this place. :) Not that I read all the threads, or keep up with everything ... but it is a source of sanity (reading that others feel and think the same way I do) and information ... This place is a lifesaver! DH has even commented that he's noticed my stress level has gone down, since I've found this site.

I worry about security, and the blogging idea just simply ... scares me. I kick the idea around at times - it would be fun, it would be a great way to link up with people, it would even be a good way to share with what we do with family, and a record for the kiddos ... but the thought that *anyone* can view it frightens me. Does anyone else worry about that? Anyone who *does* have a blog worry? How do you alleviate that concern? ...Okay, I'm getting way off topic here... But it would be great to know how you handle those worries, and maintain a blogging presence... do you just keep it fairly anonymous? Sorry, still rambling off topic!

No blog here, and I still have a pretty low post count as well. But yes, I'm real.

I've tried to blog and couldn't get past the first post. I think I'm too boring anyway. I don't even know what I would write about. I'm too private to post details about my everyday life and pictures of my family. I've thought about starting a recipe blog, but have yet to find the time.

I am imaginery. You are not actually reading this. I don't have a blog and probably never will. If I did, an imaginery fairy would have to do the updates.

So, to re-cap. I do not exist; you are not reading this. Shhhh....don't tell the rocketry team because they still function with the hallucination that I am real and do what I tell them to do! :D

Faith

Thank you for all of your replies -- I have a high post count, but I haven't been around the forums very much this year, so when I recently returned, I thought I must have missed something re: the whole blog thing.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only blogless one! :001_smile:

I have been meaning to say, "welcome back!" I have missed seeing you around these parts!

No, it has never crossed my mind that people wouldn't think I was real.

On the other hand, this board is not real life.

I do not *want* my IRL identity that public that if I had a blog I would link it here. I suppose someone really determined could track it down, but I have never knowingly shared enough about my location, etc. to be tracked down unless someone knew me pretty well IRL also posted here.

Of course they aren't mandatory! Honestly, I think some of the troll hunting that goes on here is more trollish than anything the vast majority of new posters post.

:iagree: I have to say I agree with this. And quite honestly, I don't understand the correlation between a "troll" and a low post count. :confused:

I would think that if someone had the time and inclination to go on to a home education forum and create a fake persona, they would probably be more likely to have a HIGHER post count than an actual person with several children and a busy life.

FWIW, I have been here for a few years, but have a very low post count. Namely, because I don't have a lot of free time and so I tend to read far more than I post- and because I try to only post when I feel like what I have to say adds to the discussion. If the advice/opinion that I would give has already been given by others- I usually leave it at that.

I have always considered this place to be one of the friendliest, most welcoming, and diverse places on the internet. I've learned so much here.

I'm saddened by the tone that's been adopted by a few (not the vast majority, certainly) people here who have self-appointed themselves the "guarders of the gates" of the WTM forums. It's led to a few interrogations and some flat-out mocking of new people for no other reason than the fact that those few thought their questions seemed "odd".

I truly believe that this is to the detriment of the board as a whole. New and fresh ideas, backgrounds and opinions is what will keep this place lively and active.

Anyway, that's just my thought- I hope that after a few years of being here I've earned the right to express it- despite my low post count. :tongue_smilie:

(And yes, I'm real. I think. ;) )