Menu

How do you pronounce Nutella?

from the nutella website-

http://www.nutellausa.com/faqs.htm

What is Nutella® spread?

Nutella® (pronounced "new-tell-uh") is a tasty unique spread made from the combination of roasted hazelnuts, skim milk and a hint of cocoa. Nutella® has no artificial colors or preservatives. It can be used on a wide variety of breads. For more information on the rich history of Nutella®

www.nutellausa.com/faqs.htm

What is Nutella® spread?

Nutella® (pronounced "new-tell-uh") is a tasty unique spread made from the combination of roasted hazelnuts, skim milk and a hint of cocoa. Nutella® has no artificial colors or preservatives. It can be used on a wide variety of breads. For more information on the rich history of Nutella®

Thank you!! It never occurred to me to just ask the folks who make it.:tongue_smilie:

www.nutellausa.com/faqs.htm

What is Nutella® spread?

They are clearly confused. It is pronounced "nuh-tell-uh". Rhymes with duh.:D

Maybe I'm not hearing it correctly, but in this commercial it sounds like NEW-tella to me.

It's New-TELL-ah.

It's not a product from an English speaking country; it's from Italy. That's how it's pronounced where it's from and I can't manage to pronounce it in any sort of hacked-up American way. :tongue_smilie: In Italian (original language), U is pronounced "oo". Always. Never like in nut. That's how they pronounce it in Germany too (where I first ate it). :)

Here, listen to the video here.

When I first tasted it in Austria back in 1987, I was told it was "new-tell-uh".

It's possible to kind of like that thick, black German rye bread if you slather it with Nutella and slice a banana on it. ;)

Dang it. There's a jar in my kitchen right now, and I wasn't going to have a bedtime snack.

Dd18 said two of her friends corrected her when she pronounced it "New-tell-uh." They said it is "Nut-ell-uh."

I found this:

How do you pronounce it? She wants to be sure she's right before she sets her friends straight.;)

And, no, we haven't got anything better to do right now.:D

Her friends are dopes, and she is correct :D

Bill

It's New-TELL-ah.

It's not a product from an English speaking country; it's from Italy. That's how it's pronounced where it's from and I can't manage to pronounce it in any sort of hacked-up American way. :tongue_smilie: In Italian (original language), U is pronounced "oo". Always. Never like in nut. That's how they pronounce it in Germany too (where I first ate it). :)

Here, listen to the video here.

noo-TELL-ah. It's the Italian pronunciation and it's an Italian product (made by Ferrero).

What does the name mean then? Because neither the Italian nor the German word for nuts has a t in it. If you are going to name your product with a bastardized English word, then you can expect native English speakers to pronounce it in a similar manner to the original word.

...no "new" and absolutely no "nut"...sure...:)

(I am German, grew up in Italy...and was brought up with the stuff:D)

How *do* you say it then? ;) :bigear:

I never heard it pronounced "new-tella" until I moved to Texas. We always said "nuh-tella" in Quebec.

EDIT: okay, I looked it up on Wikipedia and here is what it says (in Italian it is "new-tella, and English it is "nuh-tella" Yeah, Everyone is right, now everyone go eat some - I'm allergic to cocoa so someone eat my portion too.

"Nutella (Italian pronunciation: [nuˈtɛlla]; English: /nʌˈtɛlə/ or /nuˈtɛlə/) is the brand name of a chocolate and hazelnut spread

Edited by jenr

is a US commercial (that drives me nuts- no pun intended- because she insinuates that it's a healthy start to the morning, but I digress...) and she pronounces it new-TELL-a. I figure that's the way the company pronounces it in America, even.

Me, I call it overpriced waste-of-calories, but I know that view is not popular around here. :leaving:

is a US commercial (that drives me nuts- no pun intended- because she insinuates that it's a healthy start to the morning, but I digress...) and she pronounces it new-TELL-a. I figure that's the way the company pronounces it in America, even.

That's so funny--I've seen that commercial a lot, and I've always thought she said nutella, with a short u!

I do think nut butter on toast is a healthy start to the day. Is it because there's more sugar in nutella that you think it's unhealthy?

is a US commercial (that drives me nuts- no pun intended- because she insinuates that it's a healthy start to the morning, but I digress...)

It's a part of a healthy breakfast, when eaten with a bowl of oatmeal, an egg white omelet with spinach and salmon roe, a head of broccoli, an orange, and 3/4 c. of milk, of course. Just like Super Choco Marshmallow Cookie Pops are.

I pronounce it "get-in-muh-bellay."

:iagree:

The first time I was introduced to the delightful yumminess that is Nutella was in Australia, and my friends all pronounced it Nuh-tella. I avoided even trying it at first, since it looked suspiciously like another dark spread that is popular in Oz but that I never acquired a taste for... :tongue_smilie: