Menu

Would you rather have 5 boys, or 5 girls?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I will eventually have three teenage boys, but I seriously don't think I'll ever have three teenage girls, as I doubt we're likely to have three more daughters. Good question! Five boys would be a lot of food, but the single biggest surprise to me about parenting has been just how much I like having little boys of my own. Emotionally, they seem way easier than girls. But five girls -- a bunch of mini-mamas, more girls to play dress-up and dolls with. . . I sincerely hope I get another little girl some day. (I'd be happy with another son too, but DD and I still have a yearning for a live girl doll, LOL.) The teen years with five girls might be a bit much on the emotions and drama!

Boys! And I was well on my way to 5 until the last one caused me medical problems :). Anyways, I had 2 sisters and no brothers and I've truly enjoyed having all boys. And it will save on the cost of toilet paper :) Boys may eat more, but they also appreciate a good meal more. And when you hurt their feelings, they are far more forgiving that we girls were.

But let me say that I'm thoroughly enjoying ds#1's girlfriend :-) She is a dear.

I think I would rather have 5 boys regardless of age. The little girls I've babysat have been so whiny. I'm sure it's different when it's your own child, and I do wish I had a girl, but I can only go off my own experience. By teenage years I'm sure there is some cattiness I'd rather not deal with.

The boys that I came across tend to be destructive and loud. Not all teens have cattiness. I think that's a stereotype of women that gets perpetuated. My girl has never been a whiner.

My teen DD has been a dream but I think that the worry about teen girls being hard, etc has all to do with girls and sexuality. Yet, boys are doing most of the same and don't get the same focus. The thing is, boys act out just as much, or more, and are much more likely to crash cars, commit crimes and be violent in general. That scares me!

Edited by YLVD

I saw this earlier and I have a hard time answering this because I have one AMAZING son and one AMAZING dd, then I have one son and dd that are VERY challenging and difficult.

If I had to answer, though, I'd say 5 dd's. The bond is just different and special on an entire different level. I feel guilty even typing that.

I saw this earlier and I have a hard time answering this because I have one AMAZING son and one AMAZING dd, then I have one son and dd that are VERY challenging and difficult.

If I had to answer, though, I'd say 5 dd's. The bond is just different and special on an entire different level. I feel guilty even typing that.

I totally get this. My grandma has 12 kids and admitted to me that her bond was different with the girls than the boys although she ADORED every one of them. She just says that it's different and that the boys tend to spend more time with their wives families as adults and the girls stick around. That can be good or bad, depending I guess, lol:001_smile:

My grandma made me promise not to tell anyone she said that.

Wow that depends too much on the temperament of the child.

I would rather have 5 of ds16 than 5 of either of my girls. BUT, mainly because he is super mellow and easy going. He is a lot like me in personality.

My girls are balls of fire. They are vibrant and require SO MUCH energy to keep up with. Not the easiest thing for me.

But there are some of ds16s friends over the years (boys) that I was soooo very happy to see go home at the end of the day. If those boys were the ones I would get five of.....bring on the girls!

I don't know how I'd answer because I love and enjoy both my boy and my girl, but I do have to say that I am from a large family of all girls. Now that we're all grown we are very close and keep in constant contact. We all live fairly far from each other, but if one of us is struggling it's not uncommon for us to join together and send cards, small gifts, phone calls, etc. I'm not sure we'd have that if there were brothers in the mix. I love my sisters.

I grew up with 4 sisters so 5 girls seems normal to me (it also makes books and movies like Pride and Prejudice and Fiddler and All-of-a-Kind Family funner to read and watch). I only have boys though, so I guess that seems normal too. Having both boys and girls in a family is something I've never experienced.

I have both, so I could never choose as they are all lovely people. :) I'd take one more of each, I suppose. ;) But 5 years ago. Not now. The sleep I currently enjoy is too good. lol

Now I feel bad. All my kids are wonderful, too. You probably have more teens than I do. I have 3 right now.

I do think my boys are easier. Feed them, give them exercise, let them hang out with other guys, praise them for being responsible and they are pretty easy.

I love my girls. Love them. They are females. Sometimes they are moody, hormonal, or emotional.

Lately, my oldest girl and I have been butting heads. She has expectation of me that I don't always understand. It would be so much easier if she would tell me what she needs. LOL I had to pull this girl into bed with me this morning so we could cuddle and talk. It was worth it, but she needs more emotional bonding than her brothers. That takes more time, and I have to remember to give it to her at some point in my busy day. If we don't spend this time together then things don't go as well.

So, while I would take teen boys over teen girls, I know the investment in my teenage daughter will build a solid relationship that will serve us over our entire lifetime. It's just more work. :D

As far as raising kids is concerned, I'd rather raise 5 boys. For their adult years (and my old age), I'd rather have daughters. Is that possible? Can I change my teenage daughter into a son and retrieve her when the teen years are over :lol: Just kidding - actually it was only bad for 2 years (when she went through the change). Things have settled down since.

Anyway, to answer OP - 5 daughters since the adult years far outweigh the teen years and it's easier to be "close" to daughters (shopping, talking, etc) than sons. I also think that in training a daughter, I'm kinda training the next generation too since moms ..., you know.

I'm a talker and am overly sensitive to noise. So I am very happy I got 6 girls and a boy rather than the other way around.

Honestly? I think it's just easier to have all of one or all of the other. The different parenting style I have to use with my son than I'm used to with my daughters is the toughest part.

Barb

I think girls are easier. Maybe my personality is more suited to them? Or maybe it's the fact that my son is the dramatic one and my daughter is so calm and sensible even as a teenager.

Both my kids were in scouting and I SWEAR that managing 20 Brownies is easier than corralling 5 Tiger Cubs. Groups of boys are just so consistently noisy and always bouncing off the walls. I'll take occasional emotional conversations over that chaos any day. From what everyone told me, I expected a group of girls to get cliquey and mean at some point, but I never saw it. I was surprised to see how little boys could be sneaky and bullying when they thought no one was watching. I think they're just less mature and civilized as a group.

Being a girl, myself,:D it's just easier to raise them in my opinion. I understand my daughter. Sometimes I really do feel like my son is from Venus and I am from Mars.

Granted, my son is a teen and my daughter is only 9. My story may change in the next few years.

When my son is home, the noise, arguing and craziness always picks up dramatically. My daughter and I get along famously. We never have any problems when we're alone.

I adore my son though. He is so sweet and it's amazing watching him grow to be such a wonderful man. I can't even begin to imagine my life without him.

My biggest problem with the males in my life is their lack of good communication skills. My husband apologizes all the time for being a cave man in this area. :D My son thinks I should be able to read his mind.

Well, I love both. :)

I have three girls then a boy. Granted, he's only 18 months but I think he's easier. He just needs a helmet and a pile of dirt or rocks. The girls are so emotionally complex and they are all so different from each other (and one has special needs). They mentally exhaust me. :) And they are only 10,6,5 but the oldest has hit hormones. My middle one is the VERY (!) dramatic one, and my 5 year old has the special needs.

Girls, definitely. Teenage boys get into too much trouble (or can, if you don't watch them!). In my extended family of origin, it was the boys who were always making their parents crazy. My sisters and female cousins and I were all pretty easy. Of course, this is very subjective - I realize it's not this way in all families. But I must say that from the beginning, our son has been MUCH more challenging that either of our girls.

Also, I agree with other posters that girls will usually remain close to their siblings and parents. And the bond between sisters is wonderful!

"A son is a son, until he takes him a wife; a daughter's a daughter for all of her life" - My grandmother used to say this all the time - she had 4 daughters (plus me) and 1 son.

I would want some of each, (which is what I have). They all have their good moments and bad.

My teen son is a huge help and he loves his mama, kisses me goodbye in front of his friends, is pretty laid back and there isn't much drama. But even he has made some bad choices that have been hard on his parents, he is human and young and foolish.

My only dd is just 9, but she is hugely helpful and loving too. She is more mature and pays more attention to detail, I can always count on her to do a job right. My boys mean well, but often overlook important details. I love having her to talk about girl stuff with and I hope we'll always be close. She's pretty laid back too, not prone to much drama. The most drama right now comes from my 7 yr old, who is a boy. He's at a very emotional stage.

I don't think the way a teen will be can really be predicted by gender.