Menu

Do you limit your child's "fluff" reading? Structure your library visits?

island-mama

My dd7 is a voracious reader. She has read her way through all the Disney fairy and princess series at our library as well as tons more. She picks books at her reading level and just flies through them. I have let her peruse and choose at will (with some limits-I check to be sure the book is age and content appropriate) thinking that any reading is good, so long as she is reading. Is this really true?

I know that the library format laid out in WTM is that the child would choose one biography, one history, one science, one practical and three personal choices. Do you actually do this, and what is your experience with it? Is 7 a good age to start this? It seems like it might be hard to find biography/history books at a 2-3 gr level on the shelves at my library! I am wondering if too much fluff reading is actually doing more harm than good, and would love to hear any thoughts or experiences with this. I don't want to turn my daughter off to reading by requiring certain books...is this a real concern?

I structure our book baskets (with library and other books) for academics, and stock DD's bookshelf by her bed with a mix of books that I pick and that she picks. She has an afternoon reading time (which is part of our school day) with the book basket books, and an hour or more before bed to read anything she wants (plus whatever she chooses to read at other times in the day). I figure that as long as I'm reading about Stephanie Plum and Isabelle Spellman I can hardly complain about a little Unicorn School or Magic Tree House!

I pretty much choose the library books for my kids at this point, and the books we have at home are all very high quality. I don't think fluff reading, past the point of children actually learning how to read, is of any advantage to them. Now, if the child is still gaining fluency in reading letting them read whatever interests them may be a good idea.

Seems logical to let them choose pretty much what they want. At this point I want reading to be fun and enjoyable. I make sure the shelves are stocked with supplemental books for history, math, art, science, music, etc. I don't need to micromanage another thing in my life (or theirs).

We limit fluff. In ds's hands, 'fluff' means manga. I'm not knocking the genre, but many of the books written for American kids are badly written and very quick reads. If he takes home a stack of 10 they're done by the evening.

We used to do the WTM recs, now we do a book for a book. 1 manga for every "real" book he checks out. There were plenty of times where he wouldn't read any of the real ones he checked out but now we're just as likely to find him with a chapter book in hand as we are a comic.

I structure our book baskets (with library and other books) for academics, and stock DD's bookshelf by her bed with a mix of books that I pick and that she picks. She has an afternoon reading time (which is part of our school day) with the book basket books, and an hour or more before bed to read anything she wants (plus whatever she chooses to read at other times in the day). I figure that as long as I'm reading about Stephanie Plum and Isabelle Spellman I can hardly complain about a little Unicorn School or Magic Tree House!

This is what I do too.

My dd9 was very fluent at 7 and read lots of fluff but there are also many books and authors I suggested that she wouldn't have picked on her own that have become favourites. I didn't limit fluff at all and she has more or less moved on from it.

No, especially not at that age. Childhood fluff, in my view, is an excellent vaccine against fluff in general - if paired up, of course, with an excellent education within which children are exposed to read literature.

In their free time, they can read all the fluff they want. For school, no fluff is acceptable. With the years you notice how they tend to choose less fluff and more quality literature, but you need to let them go and NOT turn the fluff into a kind of a forbidden fruit. Let them pick it, they will get stuffed with time.

I'm not sure what you call "fluff" anyways, because some of what my daughter reads might be considered "fluff", but I don't. Does it have to be classic or award-winning children's lit?

American Girl mysteries or Doll Hospital might be considered fluff, but I do think my daughter learns something from reading these books, which are children's historical fiction.

I think it is unlikely I'd ever limit fluff by any definition, though if I felt my children were reading an excess of fluff I might add additional required reading to make sure they were reading some decent literature as well.

Oh and library visits are unstructured more or less. I places holds in advance for some materials that are part of our studies, including literature. Right now, I do most required literature as read-alouds (me reading aloud to them). Kids are 1st and 3rd grade. I feel they benefit from hearing voice, tone, inflection, and immediate discussion of literature.

I assign reading to move them along, I check out a ton of other high quality books to have around for them to read, and I let them check out what they want. In general, they read through their fluff choices in the first 3-5 days. After that, they will start looking at the other books that I have checked out and usually get pulled into reading several of those. We go to the library every 2 weeks.

I think what works is limiting screens and having a lot of good stuff available to read. I don't have to force the reading, because they seek it on their own.

Hooray for fluff! We love fluff! We also love quality, but all the research I have ever read about getting children to love reading says that you should let them pick their own books, regardless of quality, so we do. The librarian the other day told me she thought my children had excellent taste in books and really thought more about the quality of what they were reading more than other kids.:001_huh: But, um, okay, I'll take compliments wherever I can get them.

I don't really know what "structuring a library visit" would even look like. We have a general way we do things - I pick nonfiction, they pick fiction (sometimes with a little guidance and suggestions from me), they sit and read or play with the puzzles or whatever until I'm done, then we usually read aloud a picture book or two. We no longer check out many picture books just for fun (a few, but not many), but we read some in the library every week.

I've recently made a little laminated card with Jessie Wise's Library List on it. I tried telling my DS6 that we were on a scavenger hunt in the library for books on the list. That worked okay, but I think it will be easier to implement after he gets use to the idea. Of course, the last item on the list is "anything you want", so that means to me, as much "fluff" as our book bags can hold.

I've recently made a little laminated card with Jessie Wise's Library List on it. I tried telling my DS6 that we were on a scavenger hunt in the library for books on the list. That worked okay, but I think it will be easier to implement after he gets use to the idea. Of course, the last item on the list is "anything you want", so that means to me, as much "fluff" as our book bags can hold.

I like the idea of taking along the list and having my daughter hunt for the selections! We may not get one of each every time, but I think she would consider this to be fun! Great idea.

Oh my gosh, this is great. I don't know how I've missed this in WTM!

No, especially not at that age. Childhood fluff, in my view, is an excellent vaccine against fluff in general - if paired up, of course, with an excellent education within which children are exposed to read literature.

In their free time, they can read all the fluff they want. For school, no fluff is acceptable. With the years you notice how they tend to choose less fluff and more quality literature, but you need to let them go and NOT turn the fluff into a kind of a forbidden fruit. Let them pick it, they will get stuffed with time.

Great perspective!

No. I don't limit fluff. I read a LOT of fluff when I was a kid, exhausted my appetite for it and now can recognize it at 50 paces.

:lol::lol::lol:

I used to use my allowance money to order the latest Sweet Valley Twins and Babysitters' Club installments off my school's bookclub every month. I'm sure this bugged the heck out of my mom but I don't remember her ever saying anything about it.

We've got limited bookshelf space, so I don't allow the purchase of fluff books. The Rainbow Magic series and similar books are borrowed from the library.

Without planning to, we've essentially limited fluff due to our library's book checkout limits. Between the nonfiction books for history/science, picture books for my son, and a variety of audio books and spanish song cds, we seem to always be low on what remains for pleasure. My daughter selects a few books, and I select a few audio books of books that are either above her reading level or ones she wouldn't normally choose on her own. My daughter loves the rainbow fairies books (what could be considered fluff), but I've whet her appetite to continue to read from series like the Little House and Boxcar children by starting her off on audio books of the first books. The librarian has also been helpful to direct us to more meaty fiction in the same "fairy" genre.

I've also discussed with my daughter the differences between writing style such that she can distinguish for herself, eventually the good from the bad, or books that make her uncomfortable due to language, mean characters, etc. When she was in public school, she decided on her own that she didn't feel comfortable with the Junie B Jones books. I want to value my daughter's preferences and give her a little independance in her reading selections.

So the short answer to your question is that I really don't see the harm in allowing a variety of books as long as it includes some classics!

I didn't read fluff out loud, but I let dd choose some. She also chose to re-read some of our read-alouds, so her ear got used to better language. She really wasn't satisfied by fluff, except for once in a while.

Of course, I expanded my definition of non-fluff to include classic Nancy Drew and Magic Tree House books. But we didn't do Rainbow Fairies or those horrid Animal Ark books.

I've never structured our library visits at all.

Now she's in a rebellious state, and won't read what I suggest. She has to come to it on her own. In fact, the other day she picked up something I told her about last year that she'd wrinkled her nose at--said it was a really good book. Bit my tongue and didn't say "told you so..!"

But she'll have to read what I suggest for school next year. :D

I call these candy bar books because he finishes them so fast but unlike actual candy, I let him have as much as he wants. His favorite "fluff" is the Boxcar Children, Wimpy Kid, Hardy Boys, a-z mysteries type stuff. He has finished with Magic Treehouse etc.

But I do assign both fiction and non-fiction books that are more challenging and in-depth. And he will pick those on his own as well. I suppose the only reason I would limit the fluff is if he was refusing to read any harder books.

When I was a girl, I read all of those Babysitter Club books. Not notable literature. But I also read classics and harder books. Had my parents restricted the BSC type books, it just would have been a power struggle and might have soured me on reading. So long as the material is not harmful, I don't see what good can come of telling a child not to read something.

I'm a book snob, I admit it. I don't read adult fluff and I can't stand reading aloud kid fluff. We rarely go to the library, but when we do my dds bring home a pile of it, which is fine, but those that can't read only get it read to them once and then I'm done.

I buy lots of books for our own home library to encourage non-fluff reading. I don't think I would ban it if dd decided she wanted to read a fluffy series, but the opportunities are few and far for her to get her hands on some.

My dd7 is a voracious reader. She has read her way through all the Disney fairy and princess series at our library as well as tons more. She picks books at her reading level and just flies through them. I have let her peruse and choose at will (with some limits-I check to be sure the book is age and content appropriate) thinking that any reading is good, so long as she is reading. Is this really true?

I know that the library format laid out in WTM is that the child would choose one biography, one history, one science, one practical and three personal choices. Do you actually do this, and what is your experience with it? Is 7 a good age to start this? It seems like it might be hard to find biography/history books at a 2-3 gr level on the shelves at my library! I am wondering if too much fluff reading is actually doing more harm than good, and would love to hear any thoughts or experiences with this. I don't want to turn my daughter off to reading by requiring certain books...is this a real concern?

I don't limit what my daughter can read, but I do require her to read what is on my list :001_smile:.

Yes, but DD is not really aware of it (so far). Gentle steering rathr than any firm veto. At this point my young reader will pick up anything I suggest happily. Or that our librarian (who is fabulous and tuned in to HSers!) suggests. Just the American Girl books and MTH and fairy tales and whatever non-fiction stikes her fancy fill up her library card, so I don't have to do much to have pretty good things come home.

Fluff is fine as long as it is wholesome. Real literature for school, however.

I try to steer their interests, but I don't really limit. DD loves to get a Berenstain Bears book almost every time we go and my 3yr old loves the Trucktown books. They almost always love the "good stuff" I pick out as well.

They are given a lot of books from family members and I would say 95% of that is junk. ;)

(another BSC fan!)

I guess it depends what you mean by "fluff".

My dc read a variety of books, all of which I believe are age and content appropriate.

They have a session of Oral Reading a week (McGuffey's primers), and Assigned Reading (one book a week/fortnight that stretches them) which we discuss when they are done. But they love reading and I often see them picking up and reading all sorts of books - fiction and non-fiction, just out of interest.

Well, it seems I'm in the minority. My dc have quite a bit of freedom in book choices, but there are things I just flat out say no to. I discuss my reasons. Still, some fluff I allow, some I discourage, and some is flat out not allowed in our home. That's just the way it is. There really are a lot of books at our library that make me shudder. We talk a lot about what makes high quality writing. A lot of fluff my dc have limited on their own just because it doesn't appeal to their tastes, which have been largely shaped by our read alouds. The fluff they do read they tire of quickly. They tell me their brains start to feel sick the same way their tummies would if they ate too much candy!

Most fluff doesn't hang around in our home either. It finds its way into the donation piles. A book must really earn a spot on our shelves since we have so little space!

Shannon

I don't limit fluff. I don't want to put up with the pouting.

I do refuse to read fluff aloud or spend my money on it.

I try a variation on the assigned check-out list.

Sparkle is required to check out

1 science book on something alive

1 science book about something not alive

1 biography

1 geography / history

She is also allowed to check out as many other books as she is willing to carry herself.

She has been doing this for over a year.

Some weeks she has only the 4 required books.

Other weeks she has those four books plus an additional 4-6+ books.

Sparkle knows exactly where in the library the

science/biography/geography books are shelved.

On the other hand, she almost never ever reads

the non-fiction that she checks out. So I'd say the

method is a failure in our house. On the other hand,

it requires no effort on my part to maintain, so I still do it.

She pigs out on fluff books, and reads the same books

over and over again, and checks them out week after week.

Meanwhile I try to fill up my book bag with tempting books.

I'll check out 4-10 books hoping that one will peak her interest.

Occassionally I find a book that she's interested in, but she

is rarely interested enough to find more books by the same author

on our next library visit.

I think that I'm going to start assigning required reading this school year.

We are just beginning to HS and I never had any taste for literature until the last year or so :) I have always encouraged the kids to read to their interests. Both love animals and they have load of "puppy place" "animal ark" "pony whatever" books. I have no problem with it right now. But I would like to start steering them towards richer reading. I think what I'll do is assign them certain books as part of their school day and then allow other time for reading to their interests, but slowly steering them to better literature and more biographies & nonfiction. We also have started reading good literature every evening, and more audio CD's in the car, so they ARE being exposed to good literature. They are wanting to get the sequels to the Sonlight Readalouds we've been reading :) That is reassuring!

I assign a good non-fluffy book to read. We read aloud non-fluffies. I fill up the bookshelves with quality literature. If they want to borrow other books from the library they can have at it. DD plows through those fairy/unicorn/magic puppy books, I don't have a problem with that. :) (though I do limit it to a few a week - time, weight and book borrowing limit constraints)

I don't limit their reading in a bookstore or library, nor do I refuse to bring home (most) books from the library if asked; however, I am very selective as to what we purchase. FWIW, I don't assign reading fluffy or not, but rather have numerous good books available to read at will and tend to classics or unusual or distinguished recent works for our read alouds.

I suspect my definition of fluff is less stringent than that of many people here, though I'm strongly Disney averse (I loathe those fairy books) and avoid works that don't list an author (who writes these, anyway?) or deal with an extensively cross-licensed "product."

Edited by nmoira
grammar

As an adult, I love fluff! If a book I'm reading turns serious or depressing, I quit reading. I want happy easy stuff that doesn't make me think! I admit that my reading is shallow, and I like it that way. :lol:

So of course I allow fluff, but no graphic novels. But classic Peanuts is fine. :)

I suspect my definition of fluff is less stringent than many people here, though I'm strongly Disney averse (I loathe those fairy books) and avoid works that don't list an author (who writes these, anyway?) or deal with an extensively cross-licensed "product."

What? Wasn't that you raving about how well your girls have done with M&M math? just kidding Because of you, I checked out some Geronimo Stilton books from the library.

I don't think all reading should be serious. But it shouldn't be inane either. Just like desserts. A scoop of ice cream is nutritious compared to a lollipop.

I limited fluff reading to none. Even when they were learning to read or picking up their reading speed, I chose classics for them.

We have a large home library of classics that I have collected from library sales, used book stores, gifts, etc. My dc can read any of those at any time. When we go to the library, we work off of lists of books that I have. They also choose as many non-fiction books about subjects of their choice as they want.

Now I have loosened up with my two older dc, and they have read a fluffy book or two. Their tastes were set, though, and they went right back to classics. They read constantly in their free time, and they really enjoy a challenge. I don't think they would be where they are at if they had spent the time reading fluff that they spent instead reading classics.

I'm a book snob, I admit it. I don't read adult fluff and I can't stand reading aloud kid fluff. We rarely go to the library, but when we do my dds bring home a pile of it, which is fine, but those that can't read only get it read to them once and then I'm done.

I buy lots of books for our own home library to encourage non-fluff reading. I don't think I would ban it if dd decided she wanted to read a fluffy series, but the opportunities are few and far for her to get her hands on some.

Same here. I will read their books only once if I find them to be nonsensical. We don't own many silly books either. But she sure brings them home from the library! Rainbow Magic is definitely a favorite. But I won't read it aloud :)

No I don't limit it beyond helping pick appropriate books for thier age (they are still young and need guidance). The books I choose to read we call "school books" and they are free to choose whatever else they want to read. Which in our house means anything fairies, trucks and dinosaurs :glare:

The only time I would intervene is if my child was ONLY reading books way below their level and I would encourage (but not require) them to try something a little more difficult.

WTH is fluff? is my answer...I could care less what he reads as long as he's reading. I choose our literature selections ahead of time and we read tons of great literature, but his free-reading time is just that...free to read whatever he wants. I hate words like "fluff" and "twaddle"...it's offensive...like those authors aren't worth the pages they printed...I ADORED Baby Sitters Club and similar books when I was a kid, and I still managed to read a lot of great literature too...I don't see what harm could possibly come from whatever it is people consider 'fluff'...

sorry...off soapbox...

I don't limit TOO much what is brought home from the library. I always check through their piles before we leave and if I'm iffy about anything it's out of the pile.

I don't love 'fluff' but I do allow my children to read it on their own time as long as they continue to willingly read my suggestions and their school books.

Yes and no.

A couple of years ago when I was struggling with getting my son to *love* reading, he read a lot of what I would consider fluff reading- The Dragon Slayer's Academy. There was no way I was going to take issue with it- I was just delighted that he was reading and enjoying books. Now, however, that he's developed a love for books and reading, I tend to keep a closer reign on what he reads. It doesn't mean that it all has to be classic lit.- but I will typically suggest a few books and let him choose one, after which he can pick a "fluff" book if he wants. My goal at this point is to introduce him to quality literature. Right now he's reading "Where the Red Fern Grows" and loving it. He's completed several other quality books from MY book list this summer and is wanting to finish the Gregor the Overlander books so I'll let him read those next. So, after all that rambling, for our family it just depends on what the current goal is in regard to their reading. :P

We love 'fluff' DH calls them "junk books" lol At the library, I use MY card to check out homeschooling-related books. Both of my girls use their cards to check out whatever they want.

However, when we visit a bookstore, for every "junk book" they get, they must pick out a good book. The 'junk books' are usually Barbie books, Olivia and things like that. But hey, whatever gets them reading! The funniest thing about it is they say, "Mommy, can we get a junk book? pleeease?" or "I LOVE junk books!!!!" lol

We do not limit the fluff our daughters read, reading skills actually improve with all reading.

I suggest befriending one of the children's librarians to find bios for your daughters age group/reading level. We know most of our librarians by name and they know ours. Their first question they ask me is usually, "What are you looking for today?" lol I have found they are a great source of information, even for books the library does not carry.

Marsha

We just went to the library yesterday evening for the second time since we got library cards. The first time Dd8 was so excited to find a Shakespeare adaptation that included Romeo and Juliet because the two at home don't have it. This visit she picked out a stack of non-fiction childrens books about holidays and going to school during the Civil War. She also picked a mystery book. I did veto a book on magic because of the subject matter. For the first three weeks of school, her required reading will include Augustine the Farmer's Boy of Tagaste, Beorn the Proud, The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow, Viking Quest Series 1-5, Beowulf (a children's adaptaion), and various picture/Usborne type books. She will also have a book basket of approx. 5 chapter books each week. In the book basket, I choose two or three books and she chooses two or three books. Since we usually choose from our home library, her choices are somewhat limited by what I've stocked our shelves with. I do buy huge lots of books though. There is plenty of fluff on our shelves if she wants to go that route. She loves mysteries so I have provided hundreds of mysteries for her to choose from. Once she finishes her assigned readings and book basket she can read whatever she wants to read as long as I approve the general subject matter.

Ds7 will follow the same basic guidelines but with fewer/easier required books. He is working on a Star Wars chapter book right now. It is a stretch but still within his zone of proximal development. I think it is great that he wants to read it and have bought several more for him. I wouldn't put it on a required reading list but I am glad he is reading it.

Edited by Meriwether

While we use the library a lot, we don't spend much time there. I will compile a list of my choosing, mainly from homeschool catalogs or Amazon browsing, and request everything at home on the computer. Then I just walk up to the counter with my library card and I'm out again in a minute. My bookworm happily devours it all at home.

When I do take the kids to the library, I let them pick out stuff, and the occasional fluff finds its way to our house which is fine. But it is not a major part of the diet. :001_smile:

I don't have time to read the whole thread, but I can share what we've done/will do.

I keep a book basket in the living room with books I plan to read that go along with SOTW. I check out lots for each chapter, even though I know I won't read them all aloud, because DD8 will often spot books in it that she wants to read, and she'll read them on her own. In fact, she often gets to them before I manage to :lol: These are often high-quality picture books or storybooks, because the content is less fluffy and directly engaging, and more pictures help hold her attention better.

In the last few months, I've added a requirement to our library trips. She can check out any and all fiction that she'd like to, but she also has to check out one book of poetry (any kind), one biography (on anyone), and one nonfiction book (about any subject). I won't budge on this, and no new books can be taken out until the required books are finished and ready to be replenished. She can pick these however she wants--I've told her that some of the best books can be found by just trailing your hand along the stacks and pulling a book out at random, or closing your eyes and pointing and pulling whatever you end up on. She can either read these on her own or I can do them as readalouds. She grumbled at first, but it has turned out to be a really great way to introduce new things to both girls. They both used to claim they hated poetry, and now they love it! DD8 has even started writing haikus.

This coming year (she'll be 9), we'll be doing a mother-daughter book club. I'll be picking the books, we'll each have a copy of our own to mark up and dog-ear as we please, and we'll discuss periodically. I'm picking high-interest books, but still books that are higher-quality (better vocabulary, more complex sentence structure, etc.) than she would normally choose.

Beyond all this, I don't worry (too much) about her self-directed reading choices. I will still suggest things, but I don't push.

HTH!

We love 'fluff' DH calls them "junk books" lol At the library, I use MY card to check out homeschooling-related books. Both of my girls use their cards to check out whatever they want.

However, when we visit a bookstore, for every "junk book" they get, they must pick out a good book. The 'junk books' are usually Barbie books, Olivia and things like that. But hey, whatever gets them reading! The funniest thing about it is they say, "Mommy, can we get a junk book? pleeease?" or "I LOVE junk books!!!!" lol

Do you not distinguish between Barbie books and Olivia? (I assume that these are the Olivia books by Ian Falconer.) What's your definition of a "good" book for your children's ages?

I'm curious because I think the Olivia books are great. They're packed with cultural references, include some good vocabulary, and are humorous in a way that requires kids to draw inferences. If that's junk for a three-year-old, I can't imagine what qualifies as not-junk.

Do you not distinguish between Barbie books and Olivia? (I assume that these are the Olivia books by Ian Falconer.) What's your definition of a "good" book for your children's ages?

I'm curious because I think the Olivia books are great. They're packed with cultural references, include some good vocabulary, and are humorous in a way that requires kids to draw inferences. If that's junk for a three-year-old, I can't imagine what qualifies as not-junk.

Rivka-

Oh, I didn't mean the original Olivia books by Falconer! (I love those books!!) I meant the newer books like Olivia and the Fashion show-- based on the TV series. DH (who is a librarian) calls ANY book based on TV shows "junk books" Hence Barbie, Olivia, Dora, Wonderpets, etc. Sorry I didn't clarify that before! I hope that makes sense!

Rivka-

Oh, I didn't mean the original Olivia books by Falconer! (I love those books!!) I meant the newer books like Olivia and the Fashion show-- based on the TV series. DH (who is a librarian) calls ANY book based on TV shows "junk books" Hence Barbie, Olivia, Dora, Wonderpets, etc. Sorry I didn't clarify that before! I hope that makes sense!

Oh, whew. I didn't know there were TV-based Olivia books. Yeah, my rule is that I don't read anything based on a movie or TV show. They can read those books to themselves.