Menu

How would you have handled this?

I cannot even imagine a scenario where I would leave a human being in any kind of distress in my yard ALONE.

If I lived in the kind of neighborhood where that was acceptable, I'd get OUT - no matter the cost.

Yep, something awful *could* happen to me. But what would happen to me/my psyche, if I just sat there locked in my house would be far worse, IMO.

I tried to make the original post neutral so maybe I left out too much info? :confused:

She did have the dog (a beagle/JRT mix) so that is part of the issue, too.

She wasn't vomitting. She just told the boy she felt sick. She probably didn't have a "grand mal" type seizure so if you were looking at her from the house, you wouldn't see that. She probably had a partial-complex seizure.

I know there are plenty of valid/understandable reasons why no one helped her besides giving her the phone.

Probably this thread is more about my pain and fear for her and her life/future than anything else.

Thanks for all the input.

I cannot even imagine a scenario where I would leave a human being in any kind of distress in my yard ALONE.

If I lived in the kind of neighborhood where that was acceptable, I'd get OUT - no matter the cost.

Yep, something awful *could* happen to me. But what would happen to me/my psyche, if I just sat there locked in my house would be far worse, IMO.

You say that as if bad things don't come into good neighborhoods.

Your son is playing in the yard. He comes in the house and says a teenage girl is sick on the front lawn and needs to use your phone to call her parents.

What do you do?

Give your son the phone to take to the girl?

Go see what is going on with the girl yourself?

Other?

I don't want to lead the witnesses (ha-ha). I'll post what happened after a few responses.

UPDATE if you're curious in post #18.

I haven't read any responses (yet)

If this happened here.. well, it wouldn't be my son because he doesn't go outside alone (special needs) .. but if my dd14 came in and said that, I'd tell her to watch the baby and ds12 and I'd go out myself.

That said, it likely wouldn't even get that farĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ dd14 has her own phone and would probably hand it to the sick girl right then and there. Whether she came right in to get me would likely depend on her assessment of the situation. (girl has a headache or sprained her ankle and wants mom to come get her versus girl is puking/bleeding and needs care NOW kinda thing.) She has good judgment.

Now to go see what this was all aboutĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

OK -- my DD was the sick girl. She is fine. I think she had a small seizure based on what happened.*

She was walking the dog and started to feel badly (seizure aura?). She saw the boy and said she wasn't feeling good. She asked if he had a phone she could use to call us. He said he had to ask his mom but then brought the phone out to her.

She called us. I drove over and got her. As I pulled up, she was sitting on the lawn, slumped over, holding her head in her hands. She was all alone. I got out and helped her to the car. There were 3 cars in the driveway of the house. I wanted to get her home so I just put her in the car and left. As I was pulling away, DD said, "there's the boy." He was standing in the door so I waved and yelled out thank you.

I got her home. *She said she was exhausted. I put her to bed and she woke up a few hours later with a headache. This is why I think she had a seizure because this is what usually happens after she has one. So even tho' I didn't see the seizure, I think it happened.

The bolded: that would NOT happen here. Either dd14 or I would stay with her until parents/other help arrived.

I'm really hoping that maybe whoever was in the house (how old was the boy anyway?) didn't realize/understand that your daughter was laying there actually ill. If they knew and just left her slumped there on the lawn, alone… :(

Edited by LidiyaDawn
spelling

I would go out and see what was going on and help her.

I never saw how old the boy was. I can completely imagine the boy not telling his Mom what was going on, just because the boy might have been clueless.

When I was about 8, my best friend and I were riding bikes in our neighborhood. I fell off and cut my chin open. I was woozy and couldn't ride home. I told her to go get my Mom. She left and got her Mom and had never even told my Mom what was going on. It's not the same scenario, just that to her what she did made sense but to me it made no sense. I wanted my Mommy not hers.

I could see the boy just asking his Mom if he could borrow the phone but not saying why or just saying that a girl needed to borrow the phone. If the Mom looked out the window and your daughter was just sitting there and not obviously sick and the boy left out the sick info I could see her saying yes to be a good neighbor but not realizing she needed to check on your daughter.

I'd rather believe in the cluelessness of the boy than in an uncaring parent.

I never let my kids play in the front yard unsupervised so this never would have happened to me. I also would never let my kids walk the dogs alone either b/c I know for a fact we have registered sex offenders around here and I am way too paranoid. Having said all that, if my child said there was a girl outside sick I would definitely have gone out to check. I think it's awful they just let her sit out there sick. Terrible!

I would never, ever leave a human being in distress alone in my front yard. I say that from the perspective of one who lives in a high crime urban neighborhood. To be blunt--I live in a bad neighborhood, and I know if someone is sick on my lawn chances are that it's a drug reaction, but YES I would go out there and personally help.

I'm glad your dd is safe. I'm sorry she was alone when she needed someone and just so glad the kid did lend her the phone.

I would have him show me where she was and then tell him to stay inside and I would deal with the girl/help her call for help. No knowing what is going on with her, or if she is really actually sick, it could be a ruse kwim. So as the adult I would deal with it and tell him to stay inside with the rest of the kids.

:iagree:

WOW!! I cannot believe that no one came out to check on her. I wouldd have definitely been out there with water, a cool rag etc.. I definitely would not have sent my son out alone. People amaze me all the time!!!!:glare:

I am so glad that your daughter was OK!

WOW!! I cannot believe that no one came out to check on her. I wouldd have definitely been out there with water, a cool rag etc.. I definitely would not have sent my son out alone. People amaze me all the time!!!!:glare:

I am so glad that your daughter was OK!

Is it possible that the boy just got the phone without telling anyone?

I say that fully knowing bad things can happen in good neighborhoods but I will NOT live my life in fear of it. I would never leave a human being out there suffering alone in my front yard.

I would rather lose my family than our humanity.

I say that fully knowing bad things can happen in good neighborhoods but I will NOT live my life in fear of it. I would never leave a human being out there suffering alone in my front yard.

I would rather lose my family than our humanity.

Okay. I'm happy for you.

Obviously we see things differently. Being careful does not mean being inhumane.

Your son is playing in the yard. He comes in the house and says a teenage girl is sick on the front lawn and needs to use your phone to call her parents.

What do you do?

Give your son the phone to take to the girl?

Go see what is going on with the girl yourself?

Other?

I don't want to lead the witnesses (ha-ha). I'll post what happened after a few responses.

UPDATE if you're curious in post #18.

Depends on which kid it is, and how old the kid is.

My 10 year old is dependable and level-headed, and if he asked for the phone I could reasonably trust there's a good reason; I'd hand it to him, then follow in a few minutes to check on things with the girl.

My five year old is dramatic and over-reactive, so if she asked for the phone I'd question her reasons (is this a ruse so she can play on my phone?), question her story, then I'd grab my phone and -with her- bring it to the person outside. Then if it were true, I'd feel badly until I reminded myself that she's trained me to respond this way LOL.

Now I'm going to click and see the update :)

I'd have gone out myself with the phone.

That said, a PP mentioned something about getting another cell phone for your daughter--and I think that's a good idea if she has a condition that could cause seizures. If she walks the dog alone, I'd also probably have her carry identifying info, too.

So glad she's okay!

How many people would say how stupid or idiotic it was for the OP to go check on the teen if the OP's story was that there was some sick teen girl in the yard and when she went out to see about it she got jumped and her kid kidnapped or raped? Honestly we'd all commiserate and be full of sympathy and prayers but many of us would be wondering what kind of person leaves their child unprotected.

But wasn't the boy out in the yard playing?

I guess I can't imagine not responding if I were told there was a sick child on my doorstep.

This actually happened, well, sort of, to me. I was driving in my neighborhood and saw a girl on the ground and a little boy with her. I stopped and asked the boy if the girl were okay. He was crying. So, I got out and called 911. I stayed with her until the ambulance came and they found her mom. (She also had had a seizure.)

Anyway, I guess if it happened at my house, I'd have taken my phone out and let her use it. Then, I'd have stayed with her until the mom came. I may have even talked with the mom to see if I should call 911.

:grouphug: I pray your dd is okay!

But wasn't the boy out in the yard playing?

I guess I can't imagine not responding if I were told there was a sick child on my doorstep.

But the description wasn't a sick child on the door step. It was a teen girl being sick. This teen could be 13 or 17. The original description didn't even include walking the dog.

In today's economy more and more people are turning to crime. It is entirely too easy to fake an illness and when the lone woman comes out to check on the poor child she is held up, her kid threatened or worse.

To add insult to injury, most teen now have their own cell phone. 20 years ago it would not be unheard of for a kid to need to use a strangers phone due to injury or illness. Today, not so much. To a certain extent it is even a bit odd to not have either one's own phone or mom's phone when going out alone.

I don't live in a bad neighborhood. Nor do I live in a gated community. I'm pretty much right in the middle of town. I have no neighbors on either side. (Empty houses) I have no one home during the day across the street. Essentially I'm on my own if dh is at work. Ironically the SO and ICE are within rock throwing distance, but I can't see either of them from the yard. But I can only count on myself for dd's and my protection.

If the description had been a vehicular accident in front of the house, or a kid falling off a bicycle or even one of the teens boys from up the street having a skateboard trick going bad in front of my house, yes, I'd go out and offer assistance. I'd even go so far as saying if the original description had been a "young teen girl walking her dog" I'd not automatically conclude something nefarious.

But a teen girl sick on the front lawn is a red flag incident for me. Like I said in my first post in this thread, I am highly suspicious of people. I do not trust easily or quickly. There are reasons for this. And I know if I were to ask dh about it he'd agree with me 100%.

Edited by Parrothead

I think it's most likely that the boy went inside said "Mom, can I use the phone?" She said "Sure." Of course, if my son was young enough to ask to use the phone, I'd ask why he wanted it....but not everyone is like that. Or maybe mom was busy and he didn't even ask. I'd assume the mom didn't even know what was going on.

If my son came in and said someone (anyone, really) was sick outside, I'd tell him to stay in the house and go check it out. If the girl seemed at all incoherent, I'd probably call an ambulance. I'd certainly call her mom (or let her call).

I guess I don't see any huge glaring problems with the scenario the way it played out. No one knows how the boy painted this picture in the house to his mom, and who knows if he actually even talked to her. What I would do depends quite a bit on what my child said when they came in our house. There are kids in and out of our house all the time and even kids that have asked to use the phone. We have a safe neighborhood, so if my son walked in and said "some neighborhood girl wants to use our phone", I wouldn't think twice about sending it out the door with him. If he said it in a panicked tone or said someone wasn't feeling well in our front yard, absolutely I would go out and check. At that point, I might tell my kids to stay in the house. I guess I wouldn't assume this family was negligent or unreasonably paranoid by any stretch. They did help her, which is good. The dogs add another layer of complexity there.

I'm sorry this happened! Hope your daughter is feeling better!

Edited by kck

I tried to make the original post neutral so maybe I left out too much info? :confused:

She did have the dog (a beagle/JRT mix) so that is part of the issue, too.

She wasn't vomitting. She just told the boy she felt sick. She probably didn't have a "grand mal" type seizure so if you were looking at her from the house, you wouldn't see that. She probably had a partial-complex seizure.

I know there are plenty of valid/understandable reasons why no one helped her besides giving her the phone.

Probably this thread is more about my pain and fear for her and her life/future than anything else.

:grouphug:

I don't know what happened at the boy's house, but reading this I knew right away what I would have done. I can even hear myself:

"Oh my goodness!" Then me running out to the front yard with the phone, giving her the phone to call her mom, asking her if she was sure we didn't need to dial 911, talking to her mom, asking her if she wanted me to call 911, offering to bring her inside where it's cooler/more comfortable.

I'm not very street smart, so it wouldn't occur to me that it might be a ruse.

Hope your dd is feeling much better, Unsinkable!

I don't think it's about the neighborhood. We all have to weigh our willingness to risk our safety for that of another person. Certainly a feeling of safety in a particular neighborhood will factor into one's decision, but I think this issue is more about a feeling of obligation to help others in distress than the safety of the neighborhood.

I helped an ill stranger in a far less safe situation than a lone teen girl sitting in my front yard. I would not have felt right about just walking on by. But because that was *my* choice, I certainly don't fault the people who looked at the man I helped and avoided approaching him, because he looked pretty scary.

Of course horrible outcomes are possible every time we walk out the door, every time we encounter another person. And I think it's ok for one person to say "I couldn't live with myself if I didn't help," and another to say, "I wouldn't be willing to risk my safety and that of my children," without either of those stances being completely wrong or right. We all have to weigh each situation and the potential danger for ourselves.

Cat

Of course horrible outcomes are possible every time we walk out the door, every time we encounter another person. And I think it's ok for one person to say "I couldn't live with myself if I didn't help," and another to say, "I wouldn't be willing to risk my safety and that of my children," without either of those stances being completely wrong or right. We all have to weigh each situation and the potential danger for ourselves.

Well said, and :iagree:.

Unsinkable, you answered before I had a chance to say what I would have done, but let me assure you that had your daughter been in my yard I would have been outside immediately with the phone to help her and I would not have left her alone out there until you arrived. I hate to think of her sitting out there alone!

It's sad to me that caution overshadows compassion sometimes. :(

:iagree::iagree:

OK -- my DD was the sick girl. She is fine. I think she had a small seizure based on what happened.*

She was walking the dog and started to feel badly (seizure aura?). She saw the boy and said she wasn't feeling good. She asked if he had a phone she could use to call us. He said he had to ask his mom but then brought the phone out to her.

She called us. I drove over and got her. As I pulled up, she was sitting on the lawn, slumped over, holding her head in her hands. She was all alone. I got out and helped her to the car. There were 3 cars in the driveway of the house. I wanted to get her home so I just put her in the car and left. As I was pulling away, DD said, "there's the boy." He was standing in the door so I waved and yelled out thank you.

I got her home. *She said she was exhausted. I put her to bed and she woke up a few hours later with a headache. This is why I think she had a seizure because this is what usually happens after she has one. So even tho' I didn't see the seizure, I think it happened.

You mean to tell me that your dd had a seizure and was visibly altered and no adult did anything about it? :eek: That is so beyond unbelievable I don't even know how to respond to it. Rest assured, if it had happened in my yard we would have been out there immediately and probably called 911. I am so sorry.

Are you getting her her own phone for walks? AND does she have a medical alert bracelet? My nephew has seizures, and we always worry about people not knowing.

I would get your DD a cell phone. Or have her take your cell phone when she's out walking alone.

I would have brought the phone out to the person myself. As a paranoid person, I probably would have thought there was some crazy person outside trying to kidnap my kid or some such. I would NEVER have sent my child back out there with the phone. I can't imagine the boy really asked his mom like he said.

I'm not sure what was going on with the mother (sick? shower?) but I would have gone out to check on the girl myself, brought the phone, then called the mother and asked her to either come get her, to tell me what to do while I waited, or asked if I should have driven her home myself. It's odd that she never appeared, but after having my head packed in ice two days ago due to a throbbing migraine, I may be able to understand if she was debilitated herself. And if it were me and I couldn't go out, I'd be watching ds or having someone else watching him to make sure HE was safe.

I'm sorry about your dd. :sad::grouphug:

I can't imagine not going out there to see what was wrong.

:iagree: Unless I lived in the terrible part of NYC I lived in, where this would have been a set up for robbery. But, no yards there, no child playing outside, either.

I would have had kiddo stay inside, and I would have gone out with phone.

(BTW, kiddo would have probably come in and said there was a mental patient on the front lawn. We used to live near a psychiatric group home, and had various lost, dysfunctional people at our door.)

Edited by kalanamak

How many people would say how stupid or idiotic it was for the OP to go check on the teen if the OP's story was that there was some sick teen girl in the yard and when she went out to see about it she got jumped and her kid kidnapped or raped? Honestly we'd all commiserate and be full of sympathy and prayers but many of us would be wondering what kind of person leaves their child unprotected.

I can understand that, but on the other hand, how many people would say how stupid it was to stay inside if that child had died on the lawn? It's just a really tough concept to bat around as a *What If* scenario because so many things could affect how the situation is truly handled.

Go see what is going on with the girl myself.

Off to read post #18.

ETA: Oh MY!!!! Your poor dd. I'm glad she found help in that little boy.

Are you wondering why the parents in the house didn't do more? There really is no telling what the boy actually said to his parents. Maybe, even though he told your dd he had to ask, maybe he didn't. Maybe he just ran in and got the phone and brought it back. Who knows? Maybe the mom was on WTM forums and when son asked her for the phone 'cause there was a sick girl on the lawn she didn't really hear him and just said "uh-huh" . Not that *I* would do that. But it could happen. :001_unsure:

Hope your dd is O.K. :grouphug:

Edited by silliness7

I'm not really sure what I would have done. I think I would have taken the phone out myself and checked on her and made any calls she needed. I would not have given her the phone. I would have wondered why she didn't have a cell phone because in our neighborhood all the kids seem to have one. I'm just not really sure. I don't distrust everyone but I am very careful about weird things like that around my kids.

I would have been just as upset as you about seeing my sick dd alone. I think eventually I would have understood it was a weird situation and not been upset with others. I hope she's ok now. :grouphug:

I would walk out to check on her, and stand there while she used the phone.

ETA: After reading post #18, I would add that I most certainly would have waited with the girl until her parents arrived. I probably would have offered to drive her home, with parental permission, of course.

Edited by nd293

Now I've read through all the responses I'll say that there really is no cause to be miffed at the parents in the boy's house since there is no reason to believe that they had any idea what was going on with your dd. I really can't imagine someone who *knew* to just leave her there alone.

Unfathomable. Without fathom. (Sorry. Kids were watching Despicable Me today)

I can't believe the parents were concerned about being robbed or whatever because boy came back out with the phone.

I still say the parents did not know what was going on and boy didn't communicate anything that gave them concern.

My boys were walking around the street that circles our house a few years back and ran home telling me a girl had fallen off her scooter thingie (I forget what those things are called) and had hurt her ankle. So I hopped in the car with them and they took me to her and I helped her in my car and drove her home. I do not think that is an amazing thing to do. I tend to think that 99.9% of people would do the same.

A few responses:

She's an older teen. I feel funny putting too much identifying info about her.

She usually takes a cell phone with her. She does not have her own. And she is usually pretty good about doing a "mental checklist" at the door. Dog. Poop bag. Cell phone. Bye! :)

But she guesses she tapped her pocket where the cell phone should have been and must have felt her MP3 player. :confused:

Yes, she needs a medi-alert bracelet or necklace.

She didn't have tonic-clonic seizure (grand mal). So it wasn't that obvious.

Only read the 1st 20 responses.

I'd have assumed that the boy didn't tell his family about the girl--just asked to use the phone w/o giving details. I would figure the family didn't know she was out there.

But I tend to believe the best about people most of the time. I'm either refreshing that way, or naive that way.