• Kath
    • Kay
    • Katherine only
    • Other, please specify

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our dd is a Kathryn. I had thought about calling her Ryn but it just didn't fit her. We have called her Katie or Katie Beth (her middle name is Elizabeth) since she was born. Daddy calls her Boog, lol! We also call her Kat and Kate. Pretty much the only time she is called Kathryn is when it's combined with her middle name and she's in a lot of trouble which is constantly so she gets called Kathryn almost as much as she is called Katie or Kate, lol! When she's older we will call her whatever she prefers.

My first name can't be shortened into anything and I never liked it so it was important to me that our kids have names that they could have choices of what to be called. Just my thing. :001_smile:

If the child's mother prefers the child to be called Katherine then that's what she should be called.

My first name can't be shortened into anything and I never liked it so it was important to me that our kids have names that they could have choices of what to be called. Just my thing. :001_smile:

I feel exactly the same way!!! I wanted my kids to have lots of options for their names.

My hypothetical future baby Katherine Joy (Snow White, great minds think alike!) is "Baby Kate" in my head, though I would endeavor to call her Katherine. (My first son is Andrew, and while we don't mind Andy, we prefer Andrew, so we've always called him that, and nobody calls him Andy. He prefers Andrew himself. So it is possible to avoid nicknames if you're firm.) But for someone else's Katherine, I'd call her whatever she wanted to be called, or whatever her parent(s) introduced her as.

Edited by happypamama