Menu

Do you consider Auschwitz to be common knowledge?

Do you consider Auschwitz to be common knowledge?  

1. 1. Do you consider Auschwitz to be common knowledge?

• Yes
    • No

Do you consider Auschwitz is to be common knowledge? In other words if someone saw just the word Auschwitz by itself, would the average person know what it was?

I ask because I didn't know what it was. I assumed it was a German word, but that's as close as I got. I was told I should know that. It's common knowledge. So now I'm curious.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a very educated person. I went to public school and have about 2-3 years of college with an art major.

I learned about the Holocaust in elementary school, middle school and high school. Add to that any documentaries on it, that I have watched.

I learned about several of the camps and recognize the names both in print and when heard, so yes, I would consider it common knowledge of a person with a high school education.

Yes. I think it should be common knowledge. Unless you were confused with the spelling or someone mispronounced it.

But I think a lot of history should be common knowledge and find many people don't know them.

I remember a girl that was a junior in high school who didn't know who won the American Civil War. I almost fell over on that one.

I knew what it was and I have been there. I still voted no because I don't think it is taught in public schools very much, so unless you have a better than normal ps education or are up on your history of Hitler, my guess is that you wouldn't know what it is.

I do believe that someone our age (I am 41) should recognize the the name of the camp and be able to place it on her mental time line even if she does not understand the nitty-gritty details of the Holocaust.

I asked your age because I am not certain what is taught in our public school history classes these days, and I don't imagine that the Holocaust is a regular topic of conversation in most homes.

I've never been a history person.

But, Wow I didn't realize I was so out of the loop. :tongue_smilie:

Guess I better do a History refresher course.

I'm teaching my up coming 5th grader about WWII this year, so it seems we'll both have some learning to do.:D

This is a good question and one spoken of between my Gentile and Jewish friends.

In short, I would say that the older generation has a "better" understanding of it. As we progress through time this tragedy is being forgotten and sadly to say not taught and/or recognized.

For those of us in the homeschooling community, we may do a better job at presenting historical facts and not neglecting it.

I couldn't vote yes or no based on the above.

I remember the summer I learned about all this. I was not taught it in ps, although I didn't finish hs. I was aware there were concentration camps, and I was aware there were Japanese and German internment camps (my GPs went to them in both wars). I learned about Auschwitz because of a song by a now-obscure band called Pearls Before Swine, and a tune called "The Song About The Rose". I think my brother said it was about the White Rose. I read about them, and from there read The Fate of the European Jews. Not a cheery read. I also remember looking up Dachau because of a line in the hysterical movie The Hospital with Emma Peel and George C Scott. "Just where did your nurses train? Dachau?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rose

I have been to Dachau. I will never forget going. Everyone coming out was silent, not a single person talked, we noticed this as we entered and as we left.

I am hopeful that with the opening of the Holocaust Museum, more people in the U.S. and visitors to D.C. will know more about the topic.

http://www.ushmm.org/museum/about/

If it is anything like Dachau, I would recommend not taking young children.

Edited by ElizabethB

I think that it would probably depend on one's age. I'm in my 40's and we studied Holocaust in ps, although I don't believe we were taught the specifics of the concentration camps. However, I read The Hiding Place on my own several times when I was about nine years old ( I was a rather serious child) so that is where I was introduced to the names of these horrible camps.

I just typed out a whole long thing and lost it.

Anyway I recommend Gerda Weissman Klein. She is featured in the documentary One Survivor Remembers.

http://www.kleinfoundation.org/

http://thestory.org/archive/the_story_93_Forgiveness.MP3/view

I think she is a bit more appropriate for children to hear about that some really hardcore horrors.

I learned about the Holocaust a lot in school, but the emotional tone was much too cavalier. I remember being expected to take in unbelievable horrors at a very young age, so, while I think this should be talked about, showing young children gruesome artifacts, to me, is not helpful, as it somehow dulls the reaction to atrocity by expecting someone to look at a lamp made of human skin without mental collapse.

Edited by stripe

Wow, OP, bet you're sorry you asked.

I'm one of the two that said no. I said it because I think that most people know about the concentration camps, but I wouldn't necessarily expect them to recognize/know the name of one of the camps. However, I asked my dh, and he disagrees with me. But he watches WW2 documentaries all the time.

I've been to Dachau. It was truly a horrifying place. Such darkness. I had to run out of the gas chamber because I felt horribly sick. That night my friend and I went and drank a whole lot of beer trying to deal with what we had just seen and where we had been.

But, when younger, my ex thought I was an idiot uneducated person, because I didn't know information about WWII. I knew things about it, like from say.... books... but I hadn't studied it and didn't know a lot about it. I have learned SINCE highschool about it. Can't blame the ps though, I didn't really attend except a couple of months. I HATED war talk, and don't know if I would have listened anyway...

It hurts me to hear that people have no idea what Auschwitz is.

Very very sad.

But, it doesn't mean that they don't know about camps and such in general and HATE what was allowed to happen!!!!! I think most of us would agree that it's a terrible thing that happened... and we should be SCARED of what is happening in parts of the world, RIGHT NOW. Yup... shouting... scared... and bad things that shouldn't be happening...... :( :(

We watched a documentary film about the Holocaust and Auschwitz in junior high or high school. It left an indelible mark - as it should. One day we will visit the Holocaust Museum in D.C.. Dd was too young when we were there last.

To the OP - it's okay that you didn't know. Now is a great time to learn about it and to make sure that your children know as well. When we were doing Core Knowledge in the elementary years, I learned so much I had never heard before.

I do but both my grandfathers were in the military during WWII and they have wounds and stories to tell. Dds would know because they knew both of their greats and heard the same stories I did. I've met many who knew about the history but didn't really know specifics. It's never too late to learn so don't beat yourself up.

Personally, I know what it is, but cannot remember where I first heard the name, when or where I learned it. It's one of those things I just know, and in that situation, I tend to assume that it is common knowledge.

That said, we all have gaps in our education, things that we "should" know that we just never came across. I never studied world history in school, and only became familiar with the full scope of European history (not only the World Wars) in college because I was a romance language major. The rest of world history? Thanks SOTW ;).

Another beauty of homeschooling: filling in the gaps in our own education while learning alongside our dc!

Maus by Art Spiegelman is an interesting approach as well.

I think the Holocaust (including camp names) should be common knowledge. I think it's tragic that people don't know what happened. Unfortunately, I'm not surprised that people don't - and I really don't want to know how many people don't know.

It hurts me to hear that people have no idea what Auschwitz is.

Very very sad.

:iagree:

Who was the general that wanted the photos and documentation so that the world would never forget? Even with the photos and documentation seems people are already forgetting. I can't fathom how that is happening.

I think every person should know it. I went to a ps during part of my middle school and was taught about this event. Our teacher even recommended a movie which I watched with my family. This particular event so moved me that I tried to read everything about WWII, particularly the Holocaust, when I was 13.

I've never been a history person.

But, Wow I didn't realize I was so out of the loop. :tongue_smilie:

Guess I better do a History refresher course.

I'm teaching my up coming 5th grader about WWII this year, so it seems we'll both have some learning to do.:D

I'm 44 and we studied a lot about the Holocaust. Junior high was probably the first real exposure.

The joy of homeschooling is that you can learn ahead or with your children.

But, it doesn't mean that they don't know about camps and such in general and HATE what was allowed to happen!!!!! I think most of us would agree that it's a terrible thing that happened... and we should be SCARED of what is happening in parts of the world, RIGHT NOW. Yup... shouting... scared... and bad things that shouldn't be happening...... :( :(

Knowing about "camps and such in general" is not good enough. Knowing that "it's a terrible thing that happened" is not enough. Knowledge loses its power if it is not specific and detailed. Personally, I find it shocking that anyone doesn't know the name Auschwitz. As a Jew, I experienced the original post as a punch in the gut. As an American and an inhabitant of the world, I find it inconceivable and depressing that anyone 42 years old could have managed not to come across it in books, newspapers, movies, etc.

I apologize in advance to the OP; I do not mean to criticize you personally.

I do, but I grew up in Germany (went through the German school system from 1st-8th grade and then attended a private American high school in Germany). I was born in the U.S. but my mother is from Germany, and decided to move back when I was 4 months old to be near her family.

I've visited a few of the concentration camps - that is something I'll never forget. Because of my upbringing, I'm very well versed in German/European history - but I'm now playing catch-up on certain parts of American history as I educate my kids.

Wasn't sure what results to expect from this poll - glad to see that the overwhelming majority consider this to be common knowledge. Allowing future generations to forget such horrific periods of history is dangerous -we can never forget the Holocaust.

Edited by Dandelion

I voted 'no' b/c I don't think the average American would recognize the camp in a conversation. I think age makes a difference, and the OP's age would fall into a timeframe where most students were taught it. I know it b/c of my junior high education, but guys many Americans can't find their own state on a map!!! I just don't expect that the average person would know the name of a holocaust camp this many years later.

From Justamouse:

Yes, I knew.

Don't be too hard on yourself, we all can't know everything. :grouphug:

:iagree:

As others have said, usually the younger generation (further removed) are less aware of the details of WWII.

Likewise, I have seen my generation and older generation in my family be less aware of history within the last two decades. (I am 41yo). The genocide of Rwanda, for example, is unknown to them...among other historical events.