Menu

Who has finished school for the summer?

What about summer holidays?  

1. 1. What about summer holidays?

• We are done, done, done...!
    • We are done...but did not finish all our subjects as planned
    • Not finished, yet, but optimistic to have a real holiday a bit later...
    • We will school through...as planned
    • We will school through...as an emergency measure
    • We will start back before August 15th
    • We will start back after August 15th
    • Other...

We are done (actually, we were done with most subjects by about the beginning of March, and started the next year's materials then). My plan is to start back in July once we get back from vacation, but that may change. DD is really, really enjoying gymnastics camp (and I'm enjoying having her gone for a few hours every day more than I'd expected), so I'm considering letting our break become two months long and letting her go to camp for the weeks in July when we don't have guests.

We are done, but we only take June off. We finished up everything I had planned toward the end of May -- the kids doubled up on some stuff so they could finish earlier than I had planned. We will start back right after Independence Day with a light summer schedule, then start our full schedule when PS resumes at the end of August.

We finished our first year in April. The tornados that hit Alabama caused us to end a few weeks earlier than expected but we were already done with everything I had planned for our first year. We took 5 weeks off and have now started our next year as planned.

We are finishing up. We will probably be done by the end of June. I had planned to school year round then couldn't handle the thought of finishing in August. So we are actually finishing earlier than scheduled. We have some "summer stuff" that we will do all summer. I want to start back in early August instead of September like last year. I still want to school year round but want to work my way up to starting in June and ending in May.

We have a few academics to finish up this month, but always do math, grammar, and Latin year-round. My oldest pre-reads his literature books for the next year so that he doesn't get bogged down during the year. We plan to do some hands-on science in July and August when it is too hot to go out, and my younger one and I do some additional art and sewing.

I have prep work for my fall teaching gigs.

Love summer!

We finished our regular schedule near the beginning of May and went to a summer schedule (math, Sonlight, a bit of science, test prep). The boys took their standardized tests at the end of May, and then we took a week completely off. They're supposed to be doing Math and we're supposed to be reading SL for the next two weeks, then they'll get another week or 2 off before we start easing into next year (our new year starts July 1).

I voted other. We've been stopped for about a month. Getting ready for vacation, vacation, recovering from the 5 hour time change on vacation, church camp, 2 weddings, family from out-of-state, and a birthday have been one after the other.

We will start back next week. Math, reading, spelling, and writing. I pretty much keep those going year-round.

My son was really really finished by the end of May.

Since then we have been doing math and reading everyday (or as close to that as possible).

My daughter is finished except for math and spanish which will be finished sometime in August (but that was planned so no surprise).

I always try to start up again by August 1st because we take some time off in September. Plus then I don't panic by December if we have taken off days here and there.

We school year-round, however, we are on Week 5 of the new school year (May - April.)

Us too :D

We finished in April, because of a blunder with our tests. There are some subjects we're not done with, but I'm alright with letting some things end when we come to the end. Being 'behind' doesn't concern me. So, fourth grade math will be over next week, Algebra I may take most of the summer :p. Everything else is on schedule.

We are finished. A few things we didn't get to, but that's okay. I have a couple of online links for some interesting stuff that we might or might not get to. We'll be taking a break for a few weeks, so that we're ready to start next year right at July 1. I do normally school year-round, with breaks as needed, but this year, starting July 1 will let us have plenty of time to complete our required 180 days and the material we want to cover, while allowing us a good 4-8 week break when our new baby arrives.

We finished our 180 back in April, so we've been doing "school lite" since then, just trying to finish up some history, science, and literature.

We go year-round. Our current year ends June 30th, and we start back up again August 1st.

My ds is finished with his year's worth of work, and my girls are almost done (they finished VTI Algebra today, yay!, and dd is already into next year's Latin) and have a few other things to finish up this week and next,) so we will be done early.

I go to school Spring, Summer, and Fall (June-Dec,) with Winter off, so I am in the middle of my schoolyear. :(

ETA: I just did an inventory with them, and here's what it is left:

13 yo has to finish VTI module F

both girls have a few last papers to write/finish for history

15 yo needs to take her final for Wheelock's (and I need to grade her term paper for her to revise :D)

we need to dissect a frog, 13 yo has some "fact quizzes" to complete for DIVE, and they both have a bit left in their SAT-II study guides

13 yo has a few chapters of VFCR C to finish (we did A, B, and half of C this year)

So close.... 15 yo said, "Now I just have three more years of this, plus four years of college. I'm an eighth of the way there. :D"

Edited by angela in ohio

We're on our summer schedule now. The only subjects we're doing over the summer are art and Japanese, and a little math. We're going to learn all our hiragana over the summer, to be ready for Japanese I. We're doing some drawing. And just a little bit of math review. Oh, and I got ds a book about programming with Alice, and I'm encouraging him to work on that over the summer, too.

We're going on vacation next month, and I'm in a play. Dh and ds are talking about making a movie together.

Wendi

I choose other.

We are done, finished everything, finished our ITBS. We are taking 2 weeks off and then will do light summer school with just Bible, math and LA twice a week. The one summer I didn't do anything we spent over a month re-learning the basics. I might also do Latin, I think the friend we do Latin with wants to keep doing it over the summer. If so, my daughter's Latin would count as her LA for that day.

No summer break here. It's so hot out that it makes sense to do lessons inside. We take our breaks during the months when we can enjoy the outdoors. We also usually take the month of December off. For the summer we just keep on treckin' with our normal load.

We finished most subjects, so my daughter can tell people she has finished first grade, but we'll just keep going. We'll continue with math, handwriting, some fun nature projects, and probably begin German. We'll take a few weeks off in July.

I chose Other. 16yodd entertains herself quite well and has several things to finish over the summer.

12yods is pretty much done with his school work, but he needs something to do this summer. If I don't assign anything, he's likely to spend all of his time rotating on the computer, Wii, tv, DS, over and over again. Poor kid, I kind of feel bad making him do more work, but he does have another option!

I said we're schooling through summer both "as planned" and "as an emergency measure." It is planned, but it's planned because I'm having a baby in early August, rather than because I just generally prefer to school through the summer. We're shifting the break back a couple of months, so that we can take some time off after the baby comes. The plan is to do school through June and July, and then take it very easy in August and most of September (DS will probably do a little math and a little writing each day with his dad, and have a reading time, but that's it), and plan to be fully back in the swing of things by the time October starts.

Very similar here. :) We do math all summer (minus 2 weeks for our camping vacation and time to recoup) every year and it's planned that way, but this year we're behind in math, science AND history because we didn't have the money for everything we needed. It's been a very scattered year and this summer will actually be more focused than usual. I'm hoping for some concentrated science time for experiements and dissections.

Tomorrow is our last official day. I voted we're done but didn't finish all subjects, but that's not entirely accurate. We let history and science trickle through summer kind of on purpose because we tend to get sidetracked exploring and don't finish by the end of the school year. But LA and math that aren't finished will be completed tomorrow, right on time.

We don't start again until after Labor Day.

Cat

I said we are done and didn't finish everything as planned. We didn't finish math, but it was more that my son is working ahead and it was just time to take a break.

We were going to start back up on August 1st. That being said - it's hot, the kids tend to disagree a lot when we have so much free time, and I am taking us shopping WAY too much in the name of sanity. :tongue_smilie:We may pick up a little earlier than I had planned and then take some time off in the fall when it cools down and we can actually go outside and play.

Public school has yet to be finished around here and we are running at least a month behind public schools. I voted other. We will be done around the end of July and start in September. We will continue science in the summer at ds's request and keep up with math.

We have a school year schedule, a transition schedule, and a summer schedule. lol I like to schedule. We are in our transition schedule right now, which includes Math, English, Spelling, and 30 mins of reading per day. In 2 more weeks we will switch to summer which is only Math or English each day along with 30 mins of reading. We will take off 3 weeks in July for various camps and activities and start back to our full schedule the day after Labor Day.

I'd like to be done for the year but we are not. our schedule will not go into a summer schedule. Instead of 5 days a week it will be 3 days a week. We have finished some books but not others. I would like to finish them up Everyone has about 20 lessons each to finish in their LA and Math but other subjects we still have four or so more weeks.

We have 12 more days of her math book, which is the official end of 1st grade for us, since she is ahead in all other skills. I dropped her original 1st grade curriculum half-way throught the year because of two moves and a home renovation, and casually kept up with her math. We're going to keep on, keepin' on because I have a baby coming, and another move, and I know we're going to need the time.

We finished just about everything. We do math through the summer, so I don't count that as ever finished, and we couldn't do the stargazing I had planned this year due to a really cold, wet, yucky spring. I plan to do it this summer, but I don't think of it as "school" per se, just fun summertime stuff. We also didn't finish one of our literature selections for the year but we will read it together through the summer. The core subjects (Latin, grammar, writing, reading) are all done though, so that counts as done to me!

We plan to start back on August 15.

We usually school a "regular" year from Labor Day - around the third week of June, which is pretty much the school year in these parts.

This year, we've shaved two weeks off the end of the school year, because 2/3 of my kids are heading off to Germany this Sunday, so we've had to scramble to get everything done. They just finished the Spanish book today, science is done, and they're both finishing their respective math books tomorrow. Yay!

We'll do a limited summer school schedule in Jul/Aug (math & foreign languages for the most part, but with different, more "fun" materials than we use for the school year - oh, and history is year-round) till we start up again in Sept. Actually, I'm also planning on having them finish up a unit or two of LLit8 we didn't get to this year over the summer as well... I'm having them bring the book to read in Germany. :D