Menu

Purchase home w/violent past (trigger?)

Would you purchase a home with violent past?  

1. 1. Would you purchase a home with violent past?

• No/probably not
    • Yes/past wouldn't be a consideration
    • Other--explain if you could

As someone who has my own triggers for my own violent past, unless the location had personal significance for me, it wouldn't bother me. Unless the subject was brought up over and over in relation to the home. Then it would start to bother me because it would start to have it's own association in my mind with violent subjects.

No. I don't think I could.

My brother was murdered, and I've never been able to go back to the neighborhood where he died.

Last summer my neighbor committed suicide. Her ex-husband is currently readying their home for sale, and I wonder who will feel comfortable living there.

No. I don't think I could do it.

Hmm...maybe?

I would talk to some neighbors and find out if people (and find out how many) avoid letting their children go to the house and how many talk about it and how often they talk about it. I wouldn't want to have it brought up all the time or be shunned because of it.

As someone who has my own triggers for my own violent past, unless the location had personal significance for me, it wouldn't bother me. Unless the subject was brought up over and over in relation to the home. Then it would start to bother me because it would start to have it's own association in my mind with violent subjects.

Yes, that could be a problem, if the house is infamous. You would not want someone greeting you as the person who bought that-house-where-the-man-slaughtered-a-whole-family. That just makes things awkward with the neighbors.

My brother was murdered, and I've never been able to go back to the neighborhood where he died.

Last summer my neighbor committed suicide. Her ex-husband is currently readying their home for sale, and I wonder who will feel comfortable living there.

:grouphug: So sorry for your loss.

Honestly, I just don't know if I could do that or not. My DH is totally logical about stuff like that, but I'm just more...I don't know. It really wouldn't be a trigger issue for me, either, at least that I'm aware of, but I know myself well enough to know that I'd likely be bothered it.

I'd definitely have our priest come bless it before we moved in, but I'd do that anyway, regardless of the house's history. Positive karma, and all that.;)

Okay, now I sound like a nut!

:grouphug: So sorry to read this. I hope they caught the murderer!

:grouphug: So sorry to read this. I hope they caught the murderer!

They did not. I believe it will always remain an unsolved case.

Related to the original topic, I have always wondered if, because the house was a rental, the landlord had to offer the information that a young man was killed there to the potential renters.

I think that sort of thing must be made clear in the case of a sale in our state, but I don't know about rentals.

Honestly, I just don't know if I could do that or not. My DH is totally logical about stuff like that, but I'm just more...I don't know. It really wouldn't be a trigger issue for me, either, at least that I'm aware of, but I know myself well enough to know that I'd likely be bothered it.

I'd definitely have our priest come bless it before we moved in, but I'd do that anyway, regardless of the house's history. Positive karma, and all that.;)

Okay, now I sound like a nut!

You don't sound like a nut. My reasoning for being willing to buy the house will sound a little nutty, but here I go... I figure (unless your talking Amityvil kinda house) what, statistically, are the odds that the same house would have 2 sets of unrelated individuals murdered in it over a set course of time. Sort of like hoping that lightening won't strike the same person twice.

Although I think I watched a show about a woman who was struck twice by lightening :glare:.

See, do you feel less nutty now?

Related to the original topic, I have always wondered if, because the house was a rental, the landlord had to offer the information that a young man was killed there to the potential renters.

I think that sort of thing must be made clear in the case of a sale in our state, but I don't know about rentals.

Oh gosh, that must be maddening! I can't imagine! :crying:

We used to live across from a home where a man butchered his wife while their two little daughters cowered in one of the rooms. He was let off on a temporary insanity charge. This was long before we moved in and we didn't know it until another neighbor gave us a book written about the case. It creeped me out whenever I thought about it. I guess the house sat empty for two years before anyone would buy it.

I would never buy a house knowingly with a history like that.

No for two reasons.

I'm not one who believes in much woo-woo ness but I definitely wouldn't buy one if I knew about a situation like that. I've lived in a house that had a horrifically violent past that we were not aware of when we moved in and, although it sounds weird, it had a different feel to them. I don't do ghosts or psychic stuff but there was some type of bad feeling to that house. My husband and I almost divorced after that year. We moved as soon as possible and right after we moved, things went back to normal between us. It was very odd.

Second reason would be resale. Expecially if the history is well known and recent, the majority of people will not even look at it.

We lived in a rental house once where we were told the renters before us were rough, had bad kids hanging out in the hallway all the time, trashed the place and so on. I just never liked the "feel" of the place while we there. We moved out a few months later and while cleaning before we moved, I found a disgusting, revolting, beyond smutty book up on a back closet shelf.

The whole vibe of the place was never comfortable. I don't like that kind of energy around me-I'm sensitive to it. To live in a house that had a murder or suicide history would be beyond anything I'd want to expose myself or my family to.

You don't sound like a nut. My reasoning for being willing to buy the house will sound a little nutty, but here I go... I figure (unless your talking Amityvil kinda house) what, statistically, are the odds that the same house would have 2 sets of unrelated individuals murdered in it over a set course of time. Sort of like hoping that lightening won't strike the same person twice.

Although I think I watched a show about a woman who was struck twice by lightening :glare:.

See, do you feel less nutty now?

My father was struck by lightening three times. He was never in the same place twice though ;)

I think I would buy a house that I otherwise liked regardless of what may have occurred there. I might have one, or many, people come bless the house if it had negative vibes to it.

I would worry about resale value, but it would likely sell to the first buyer at a drastically reduced price compared to market value and living there without issue would increase the value (by simply putting distance between the next buyers and its past).

A bigger concern is how the neighbours feel about the house. I wouldn't want to be shunned, or for the other kids not to play with mine because of our house.

No, couldn't do it. I believe that houses hold vibes/atmosphere however you want to say it. I also think the physical knowledge would creep me out.

This. We lived in a house for four years that were the most miserable of my life. It was a very old house, parts of which dated back to the 1400s (Oxfordshire, England). I was never told of any violent history, but I became convinced within six months of living there that it was having a terrible effect on me. DH would never accept it and resisted moving for a long time even though I was so terribly unhappy. We eventually had to move because of a job change and have been very happy in our present house (it dates back to 1820 and we are friends with a man whose grandfather owned it from the 1920s and have also had a family visit whose great aunt lived here before that, the stories we've been told are of lots of children enjoying blissful childhoods here, and I can sense that quite strongly).

If I knew before purchase I'd be hesitant simply because I'd feel creeped out. That said we had a neighbor who took his own life. It was all very sad and awful and painful for many.. The house was on the market and sold within weeks. So it clearly doesn't bug some people. :D

No, couldn't do it. I believe that houses hold vibes/atmosphere however you want to say it. I also think the physical knowledge would creep me out.

Resale, how the neighbors would feel, etc, etc.

You guys are going to think I'm a crazy lady, but I have been thinking about this all evening/morning. I was looking at a house yesterday actually (looking to buy), and it felt evil. It felt as if someone were watching me. I was without my husband. I left my kids in the car to go look in the windows of the house, and I half expected to see someone looking back at me, so strong was that feeling. I started to walk around to the back, but felt very uneasy leaving line sight of my van with my kids in the car. I got back in and my baby was screaming for me. The girls said he wanted me. :sad: That was unusual too.

The house is a great deal and what we want, but I've been thinking that I might just have to pass on this one. I don't know if I can get over those feelings I had. I haven't even told my husband about the experience because the thought is so crazy to me. I just told him I thought the house was creepy.

Oh Crissy! :crying: I am so so sorry. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Resale, how the neighbors would feel, etc, etc.

:iagree: :iagree: What she said. I used to live in a neighborhood where the entire last street had a bad vibe. I would start to get scared if I were riding my bike and got too close to it. I don't know if anything violent happened while I was living there or before, but I know years later after I had moved away, there was a violent double murder in the house on the corner of that street. I read it in the newspaper and when I saw the address I almost choked! Horrible.

I'm curious to know if they do have to tell renters about things like that also. My next door neighbor committed suicide last October. We have a young family living in there now who are renting the place. I've never said anything about it and I don't know if the other neighbors have either (how do you even broach a subject like that?? ), but I've talked with the couple several times and they've never mentioned it to me so I don't know if they don't know or if they know and don't care. :confused:

I am so sorry about your brother. :grouphug:

You guys are going to think I'm a crazy lady, but I have been thinking about this all evening/morning. I was looking at a house yesterday actually (looking to buy), and it felt evil. It felt as if someone were watching me. I was without my husband. I left my kids in the car to go look in the windows of the house, and I half expected to see someone looking back at me, so strong was that feeling. I started to walk around to the back, but felt very uneasy leaving line sight of my van with my kids in the car. I got back in and my baby was screaming for me. The girls said he wanted me. :sad: That was unusual too.

The house is a great deal and what we want, but I've been thinking that I might just have to pass on this one. I don't know if I can get over those feelings I had. I haven't even told my husband about the experience because the thought is so crazy to me. I just told him I thought the house was creepy.

I've learned not to discount feelings like that. In our previous house, which I did not see before dh bought, I was never comfortable. I had a very wicked dream the first week we moved in, it was about a violent death. I've had premonition type dreams before, so I pay attention. However I thought it was simply fatigue. Come to find out it would have been highly likely that this type of violence took place on the PROPERTY before the house was built. I had no knowledge of this before we moved. I never felt scared, but there was an air of discontent the entire time we lived there.

Our current home has a peace that is hard to explain. We suspected before purchase and found out afterward it was a drug house. It was a party house and the occupants were all arrested. Knowing that doesn't change the feel of the house. I'm not even afraid to go in the basement after dark, which is saying a lot for me and basements.

I voted that I would purchase the house and here's why...

When I was five we moved to a house in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. It was just off the parkway. In fact, if you take the tram to the ski resort (which wasn't there then) you can see the house as you go up the mountain. It was a much nicer house than our previous house. My dad was a minister at First Baptist Church.

I did not know until after I was grown that the house had been the scene of a murder. There were plugs in one of the doors from filling the bullet holes. I was the youngest of five so I don't know if my older siblings knew while we lived there or not. I'll have to ask them sometime. Anyway, my parents were apparently perfectly comfortable, thankful for the opportunity to have the house, and we had many good memories there.

So...for the most part I think it's what you make it...although I would never live somewhere like Nicole Simpson's house due to the notoriety and people never forgetting so I guess the community reaction would play into my decision. Although this is somewhat different, when we were building this house we went through a horrible time in our lives. DH was laid off, we nearly lost the house and, most painful of all, the day they laid the carpet we learned that our daughter that I was seven months pregnant with had died. I really wasn't sure after all that pain if I could still make this house a home. Now 17 years later these are where the majority of our family memories have been made.

If you feel this is the right house for you, you can turn that history around.

If I knew the people involved or had any personal relationship with them, then I could not buy the house. If they were perfect strangers, then I would have a much more mercenary philosophy because you could probably get a great deal on the house. While I was a prosecutor, there was a triple homicide in the kitchen of a restaurant that was frequented by the courthouse folks. None of us could ever go back to eat there and the restaurant closed. To be fair, another factor was that we had seen the state of the kitchen and freezer and it was disgustingly dirty.

I voted yes.

If any "mess" were completely cleaned up. If I knew people wouldn't be coming around and peering in my windows to see "where IT happened" and if I had no connection to the people, yes I would.

I would certainly not mention it to my children, but it wouldn't bother me.

I grew up in a four story Victorian home that was a bed and breakfast in the late 1800's through the 1950's. A grand total of 21 people were shot, 9 killed in the house/on the grounds. Affairs happened. Children were born. A little girl was horribly mangled, losing her arm (One-Armed Osborn was said to still haunt the home and surrounding woods). And, Al Capone was a regular guest, and caused a lot of the commotion.

My parents, knowing the history of the home, were excited to be a part of the history, even if it was pretty dark. We, however, were the talk of the tiny community on Lake Michigan. My parents didn't care at all. Not only did we get an amazing deal on the house, my parents refurbished and updated the entire house, staying true to the age of the house, filling it with accurate antiques and made the entire home a stunning piece of work. We were featured, year after year, in the Parade of Homes in our town as one of the most beautiful properties.

My parents have since sold the property, and I was truly devastated when they did. We are good friends with the homes new owner, though, and she has also done amazing things with the home.

If every home that had a sadness/death/traumatic incident/etc happen inside went uninhabited, we'd be close to being homeless. My dad always said, "It isn't the walls of the home that promote the stigma of sadness, it's the people." I guess we're pretty practical when it comes to stuff like this?

On a sad note, :grouphug: to the people who shared losses of friends/family members in this thread. I've experienced many losses, and it never gets any easier.

The physical knowledge would creep me out.

This is part of why I wouldn't. Just knowing that someone was murdered there would bother me. Then there are the practical things such as resale value of the house, how the neighbours will react, etc.

I was looking at a house yesterday actually (looking to buy), and it felt evil.

While I'm not worried about ghosts, etc, if I get a strong feeling that something is wrong with a place, I don't see any point in buying or renting it, because whether or not there is something wrong with that place, I'm not going to be happy living there.

Am I the only one thinking that it would be kinda cool to live in a house that might have a ghost or three?

(If there's such a thing. I don't know what I think about that right yet.)

Logically speaking though, if you buy an old home (like someone mentioned their old victorian above) the chances are pretty good that 'stuff' happened in that house - some of which people may never have even known about.

I chose other because DH and I bought a house with a past that we didn't know about.

---

DH and I bought a house that had been vacant for awhile. We couldn't understand why the realtor was so happy to have it off the market. The comments from the neighbors began about two days after we moved in.

"Did you know that the previous owner committed suicide in the closet?"

"You must be really brave to live in that house."

"Do you get nightmares from the spirit living in the house?"

What got me is that people would talk about the house's history in front of my young (6yo & 2yo) children.

We only lived there for about 18 months before we sold and moved out of state. I don't know if we would have stayed in the house much longer without the relocation.

THe violent past wouldn't in and of itself be the deciding factor- what it really felt like in the present might be. We have cleared negative energies from homes before- in fact we do it every time we move into a home. If the home was in every other way ideal for us- sure, it might be ok. But it would be unlikely, I feel, because we might well just get a sense of "no way" immediately.