Menu

s/o: have you been asked how you can teach if you're not certified?

Have you been asked how you can teach if you're not certified?  

1. 1. Have you been asked how you can teach if you're not certified?

• Yes, I homeschool my dc and have been asked that question.
    • No, I have never been asked that question.
    • Other

I never have. And since I had a master's degree (in German, though) when we started HSing, nobody questioned me all those years ago. I mean, I had a couple of comments like "Well, you're highly educated, of course you can homeschool," from well-meaning relatives. But I've never had anybody ask me the other question.

And since then I have actually taught in a public charter school, so the question is totally moot in my case.

Poll hopefully to follow!

Yes, I have.

Most people just need a simple explanation.

Some people need a full blown explanation and the information that I have taught scores of students to read that certified teachers have failed.

Most people, however, do not ask, but some of my older acquaintances who do not know many homeschoolers do ask and do really want to know.

Most of my military friends have seen some pretty bad schools and are very pro-homeschooling, and know many homeschoolers.

I tend to get it more from a legal standpoint also. It is just a lack of knowledge about homeschooling.

I was asked the question by a teacher once and I asked..."How often do you actually use your degree?" They responded with, "Good point."

Never. But, I have an M.A. and teach college writing courses, and my husband has a doctorate and has taught college psych courses, so we really haven't had to deal with people questioning either our ability to teach our kids at home or our educational credentials.

I can't say I've had anybody challenge or question our decision to homeschool. We live in Detroit, and it's well-known that the public schools here are terrible, so nearly everybody has been incredibly supportive. If we lived in an area with good public schools, though, I have a feeling the reaction would be different, particularly from my family.

I have been asked by family members how I will teach them and I am a certified teacher (I used to teach 7th grade Social Studies) and I have my Masters in Middle Grades Education. SERIOUSLY??? I'm qualified to teach middle school age kids but you don't think I can handle teaching my 1rst grader her math, etc.??? I just had to laugh, I mean, what else can you do when posed such a ridiculous question?

I'm shocked at how many people have NOT been asked this! I've been asked a number of times. I was even asked by the local school principal:glare:. (I was so close to asking her how she could run a school without a brain, but I bit my tongue instead.) My family doesn't ask this question because I am considered the "smart" one, which basically means I'm the only one who has never been arrested. My mil, bless her heart, is a 2nd grade teacher. She has hinted that I am not qualified. I've had strangers in town ask me how can I teach if I'm not a "real" teacher. I graduated with honors from our school's gifted program. I have a college degree. That never stops people from asking about being certified.

I have been asked this and the other variety of questions. This is our first year of homeschool, so I tend to answer with "Well, I have a BA in English Lit and my husband has a PhD in Chemistry, so I think we have 3rd grade covered."

It is one of those areas that I want to get more confidence though. I don't believe that you need those qualifications to teach your children at home. I am not brave enough yet though, but I know I want to help change perceptions of homeschooling, so I am going to need to put on my big girl panties next year and try another explanation. I am thinking off " No, you don't need certification (qualifications etc...) to teach your children at home, as long as you are someone who loves learning and can teach yourself, you can teach your children." (Now pass the bean dip) Does that seem good?

Nicole

No, but my kids are young and both my husband and I have Ph.Ds. and teach at the university level (where for better or for worse, you also don't have to have any teaching instruction before they throw you into the classroom). I can't imagine anyone doubts our academic qualifications. Any concerns are probably more along the lines that we're going to turn our kids into friendless freaks.

I'm one of the others. I haven't been asked the question specifically, but when i mentioned DH is a teacher, I was told "that doesn't make any sense" (in a very condencending tone) in regards to homeschooling. So it's lose-lose.:lol: Can't seem to homeschool if you aren't certified, just wrong if you are.

ETA: DH is a middle school math and science teacher. I have a degree in history with emphsis on secondary, social studies education--just didn't get the credential. I'd say we're plenty "certified" to teach our children.

Guest RecumbentHeart

I haven't been asked even though I don't have a degree of any sort. The closest was sincere question as to whether I've taught before.

I've been asked that several times over the years, along with being asked if the state has to approve curriculum.

I work with a retired elementary school teacher. She's not a fan of hsing. One of her former students, J., is a co-worker of ours, and J. has zero grammar skills and cannot spell or punctuate. I'm sure the teacher about died last week when J. asked, "Does a quarter past 11 mean 11:15 or 11:45?"

The public education here speaks for itself. Literally.

(Although, honestly, I believe J. is not necessarily the norm, thankfully.)

Yes, quite frequently.

If the person seems merely curious or genuinely concerned, I talk about how research has found no difference in test scores between homeschooled students taught by a parent with a teaching credential and those taught by a parent with a bachelor's degree in another field.

If the person seems to be anti-HS, I mention how my SIL told me her B.Ed. coursework was an absolute joke. She felt it was a complete waste of money and four years of her life & wishes she'd done Teach for America instead.

I've never been asked, but most people who know we're homeschooling also know I was a teacher. I've been told that homeschooling is easier for me because of the fact that I was a teacher. That annoys me for a number of reasons but mostly because 1) being a teacher in no way prepared me for homeschooling. In fact, I had to unlearn some of my teaching "skills" in order to homeschool effectively, and 2) I find it incredibly insulting to all of my homeschool friends (virtual and IRL) who are not certified and who are doing a wonderful job homeschooling their kids.

Nope, I haven't been asked… but I've gotten some related assumptions that struck me quite funny.

When we first took the kids out of public school, I had a number of (well meaning) folk say things along the line of "oh. well, I guess it's okay since you're qualified for that" ~ which always made me laugh. You see, it was a small town and I was known as everyone's babysitter - I'd been looking after kids for years and these people were assuming that I must have some sort of early childhood training, teaching degree, or whatever because of that…. not only do I *not* have any of those things, I didn't even finish high school.

So much for assumptions eh? :p

No, never in my 17 years of homeschooling. I mean they do ask sometimes what the regulations are or questions like can anyone do this but never have I been asked about why I am not a certified teacher or if I am one. However, I think it has a lot to do with my personality and the educational level that both my dh and I have. Dh is a PhD physicist and I have done all my doctoral coursework and exams but no dissertation for a PhD in criminal justice with my having a BA in economics. In terms of personality, I am an INTJ on the Meyers-Briggs scale and the common term for that personality is "mastermind". Until I read up more about this personality term, I never knew why people usually deferred to me and also thought I was knowledgeable about things I am not.

Yes I have, and when they find out I don't have a PHd, MA, BA or AA, but only a certificate from a tech school that says I'd make a darn good unit clerk in a Drs office or hospital.

Usually the next question after that is "Well they have a certified teacher check up on you right?" and when they find out that answer it "NO" I usually get a funny look and they stop talking to me. :001_huh:

In terms of personality, I am an INTJ on the Meyers-Briggs scale and the common term for that personality is "mastermind". Until I read up more about this personality term, I never knew why people usually deferred to me and also thought I was knowledgeable about things I am not.

Interesting! I am an INFJ, and I wonder that I hardly ever get negative comments about anything. Even when I have had all my dc with me, I've never gotten a negative comment about family size (like, "Don't you know what causes that?" etc). I've actually gotten incredibly positive comments. I wonder if personality has something to do with it. Of course, we're talking about complete strangers here, so how would they know my personality.

Yes, quite frequently.

If the person seems merely curious or genuinely concerned, I talk about how research has found no difference in test scores between homeschooled students taught by a parent with a teaching credential and those taught by a parent with a bachelor's degree in another field.

QUOTE]

So..... What about the kids that have parents that have no degree? Does one really need to have had 17 years of school to homeschool?

Perhaps this should be another s/o...

The only question I have gotten is "Are you going to homeschool high school?" This was by someone who was truly interested. I am either very sheltered, or live in an area where homeschooling is accepted as normal (there are A LOT of homeschoolers here). I have never had anyone be ugly or snide to me. Envious sounding, yes, ugly, no.

I have been asked, but not from a 'What in the world makes you think that you are qualified to teach those kids???' standpoint. It was from a legal standpoint, as in 'Is it legal for you to teach them without any sort of certification' standpoint.

Same experience here.

It's a topic they had not considered prior to meeting us, and were/are merely curious.

I never thought the question a challenge to my intellect, or to my dh's. :)

I never have. And since I had a master's degree (in German, though) when we started HSing, nobody questioned me all those years ago. I mean, I had a couple of comments like "Well, you're highly educated, of course you can homeschool," from well-meaning relatives. But I've never had anybody ask me the other question.

And since then I have actually taught in a public charter school, so the question is totally moot in my case.

Poll hopefully to follow!

Yes, I was asked that by the sad excuse for a k-2 teacher at the local town school when we first decided to homeschool. She did not know me. Poor her. :p

I told her my PhD trumped her little BA anyday and that if I could teach university students to deconstruct Shakespeare, I could certainly teach a 5-year-old to read.

Yes, I was asked that by the sad excuse for a k-2 teacher at the local town school when we first decided to homeschool. She did not know me. Poor her. :p

I told her my PhD trumped her little BA anyday and that if I could teach university students to deconstruct Shakespeare, I could certainly teach a 5-year-old to read.

Can I disagree? :tongue_smilie: I feel completely equipped to get my PhD in History.... but this whole, teaching reading thing has been tough! :lol: (Maybe I should have held on to that double-major in English... is that where I went wrong? :D) I feel like once she can read I can teach her anything. Or, even better, she can teach herself and I can just guide her. We are making huge strides (she read her first Dr. Suess book the other night- Hop on Pop- all alone!!!), but geez, what a journey.

I definitely feel more confident in front of a classroom/panel than I do with my own daughter. Is that sad?

Can I disagree? :tongue_smilie: I feel completely equipped to get my PhD in History.... but this whole, teaching reading thing has been tough! :lol: (Maybe I should have held on to that double-major in English... is that where I went wrong? :D) I feel like once she can read I can teach her anything. Or, even better, she can teach herself and I can just guide her. We are making huge strides (she read her first Dr. Suess book the other night- Hop on Pop- all alone!!!), but geez, what a journey.

I definitely feel more confident in front of a classroom/panel than I do with my own daughter. Is that sad?

You know, I agree. I cry wolf sometimes.

I don't teach certain things as well as great teachers I have known. Some people are really good at their professions. I know some really lovely and excellent teachers. I often wish they were at my side during the day.

This doesn't mean I want to send the kids to school, but it does mean that some folks are very good at what they have chosen to do as their work/life vocation, and I wish my hsers could experience the dynamic of being in their classrooms. My oldest majored in hstory+ because of a dynamic teacher.

It's simply a fact that I am not nearly as good a teacher as some of these folks. I often wish my children could experience their energy.

Edited by LibraryLover

You know, I agree. I cry wolf sometimes.

I don't teach certain things as well as great teachers I have known. Some people are really good at their professions. I know some really lovely and excellent teachers. I often wish they were at my side during the day.

This doesn't mean I want to send the kids to school, but it does mean that some folks are very good at what they have chosen to do as their work/life vocation, and I wish my hsers could experience the dynamic of being in their classrooms. My oldest majored in hstory+ because of a dynamic teacher.

It's simply a fact that I am not nearly as good a teacher as some of these folks. I often wish my children could experience their energy.

:iagree:I have known (and continue to know) some really passionate, wonderful teachers. But even the best of them will admit their shortcomings in the classroom- and most of that has to do with the fact that they have so many children to attend to. I like to think that I overcome my lack of... skill as a teacher with the personalized attention. :D Being a professor (which is my goal) is a totally different beast than being a teacher... and I think I'll be much better suited to it. My poor DD just has to suffer through it... (Although, she gets my passion plenty, probably too much, when it comes to history, languages, and world cultures. :tongue_smilie:)

As a side note, it's amazing how having a good teacher can affect one's life. You mention that your oldest majored in history because of a teacher. I changed my major to history because of a history professor, and then changed my area of focus (from Europe to Latin America) because of the influence of a wonderful professor, who has really inspired me.

Wouldn't it be amazing if we could all hire private teachers to be with us as assistants? :lol: It'd be the best of both worlds.