Menu

Suppose someone shaved their sheep, put it in a bag, and gave it to you

Well, since I am a spinner, I'd probably be jumping up and down for joy- provided it was in good shape and not too terribly dirty. Scouring wool with lots of vegetable matter (grass or weeds or other icky stuff) can be a pain in the behind! Aw, heck, even if it was dirty, I'd probably be pretty excited.

So what kind of sheep was it? How many pounds of fiber do you have? You could probably find a spinner that's willing to buy it from you if it's in good shape.

I am SO tempted to use this as an excuse to get a spindle. But don't you have to clean the wool somehow first? This stuff still has mud on it. (Please be mud. Please be mud.)

Ummm....It's probably mud, but even if it isn't, you can still clean it! If you're going to spin it up (spindle or wheel,) you'll also need to card it. In a pinch, hand cards can be made from slicker brushes for dogs.

Yes, it has to be washed first. (and it the shearing was done right, it IS mud)

I'd be you tubing and googling wool processing and likely annoying/amusing my dh to no end.

:iagree:

This. I would use it as an excuse to undertake another experiment in frontier-type homemaking. DH absolutely doesn't get it.

I have spun myself but recently sold my wheel for lack of use and tkaing up space.

However my mother is an excellent and proliferate spinner and weaver- I would pack it up and send it to her, and probably receive the gift of a handmade garment in return later in the year.

So...what did you say that led this someone to believe you'd like a bag of wool?

Well, I was felting an egg, you see, and my cousin who lives upstairs came down and said, "Gosh, my co-worker just offered me a bag of wool." Then I said, "Does he still have it? I'll take it! That'd be great!" So cousin texted his coworker. The next day when I came down after having dinner upstairs with aforementioned cousins, there was a bag of wool half the size of the piano next to the instrument. I stared at it for a few seconds, then came to the Hive to find out what terms to Google.

Ummm....It's probably mud, but even if it isn't, you can still clean it! If you're going to spin it up (spindle or wheel,) you'll also need to card it. In a pinch, hand cards can be made from slicker brushes for dogs.

2 slicker brushes can work.

You can also build a hand drop spindle:

http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/make-dropspin.shtml

Go to a craft store or Hobby Lobby for wooden dowels and wheels. Have fun!

There is a cute story by Tomie de Paola:

Charlie Needs A Cloak

Animated book in a cartoon by Weston Woods:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A16Hv6Gx41M

You can build this into a unit for sheep, farmers, wool, natural dyes, knitting, crochet, etc.

Edited by tex-mex

Well, I was felting an egg, you see, and my cousin who lives upstairs came down and said, "Gosh, my co-worker just offered me a bag of wool." Then I said, "Does he still have it? I'll take it! That'd be great!" So cousin texted his coworker. The next day when I came down after having dinner upstairs with aforementioned cousins, there was a bag of wool half the size of the piano next to the instrument. I stared at it for a few seconds, then came to the Hive to find out what terms to Google.

:lol: You know you're a homeschooler when....

Gosh if it were me I would be on the phone with my mom, who knows all about this stuff and wondering why I never paid attention when I was a kid. I think you wash it, and then depending on what you want to do with it you might need to boil it to get the lanolin out. And then card it. And stuff. I can probably get more specifics from Mom if you can't find what you need online. A whole fleece really is a LOT of wool. It's astounding.

Depending on the type of sheep it came from, the "mud" could be thick lanolin deposits.

If I were you, I'd do some googling about washing wool fleece, wash it, and then see if it felts.

Of course I'm not you, so I'd google about washing wool fleece, use the picker on it a little bit, and not wash it for fear of felting it in the tub. (I really do need to get working on the 4 fleeces we have in big bags from last spring...)

PS: One of our two ewes had a lamb today! Our first lamb! hehe

When this happened to us a few years ago, DH did some carding with the kids and talked about wool, then we used the bulk of it around the base of our new plants, held down by visipore fabric. It's still there doing a great job holding in moisture.

Erica in OR

This happens to multiple people?!? :svengo:

:lol::lol::lol:

This happens to multiple people?!? :svengo:

Only here, Lolly, Only here!

I must add, I read the title to this thread and didn't think twice about the bag containing a naked sheep, until I read the first line of the first post. THEN I started laughing hysterically, and couldn't even read it to DH. It was one of those times when you take a deep breath, start to read it, and then burst out laughing. He used to THINK I was crazy. Now, he KNOWS!!!!

When I first read your title, I thought someone had given you a naked dead sheep. I was prepared to be grossed out and indignant on your behalf.

I was relieved to read your actual post, but have no idea what I would do. Probably try to get rid of it as fast as possible and pretend I wasn't wondering if any bugs were stowing away in the wool. :001_smile:

Here's hoping you find a more practical and fun suggestion!

The wool, not the sheep. You could fit a sheep into this bag, though.

What would you do next?

I am, yes in fact, in this very position.

:lol: I've read the title oh, five or six times tonight wondering why on earth someone would give away a bald sheep, in a bag, no less. Finally it occurred to me that the wool-not the sheep-was in the bag. Sorry, I have no idea what I would do. This reminds me of the book Ive read to each DC about the little red coat that was made from the wool of a sheep. Now I'm off to read the replies because I'm curious.

I am SO tempted to use this as an excuse to get a spindle. But don't you have to clean the wool somehow first? This stuff still has mud on it. (Please be mud. Please be mud.)

Ruth took it to a nearby stream and pummeled it by hand in the flowing water.

Laura