Menu

Would you leave your 5 yo...

Of course, and they would have been fine. My boys have never tried to get out of a car or get out of their car seat without permission. They were out of my sight very often in the house as well, and they could have run out of the house if they wanted to.

Edited by nestof3

Yes, as long as safety is considered. The weather is the biggest factor here. If it's too hot or too cold, no I would not. But if the temp in the car was fine, the doors locked, and the child was not howling away, then yes I would. Some folks would never get that, but that's okay. That's when I mention that they should read The Cat in the Hat! :svengo:

No. But only because I had a friend do this and went through an incredibly horrifying ordeal with CPS because a worker at the store she was parked at called the police. She did absolutely nothing wrong - this lady is a very dear friend of mine and would never put her children in any kind of danger - but this nutso worker called the police and my friend had to go before a judge (several times) and finally got the charges dismissed. It was terrifying for her and her entire family. Therefore, even though, technically, I see nothing wrong with your scenario, I just don't trust people not to be nuts.:tongue_smilie:

Well, since mine is related to someone who totaled a car at 4 after being left in said car with 2 year old brothers for a few minutes (back when everyone left kids in their cars), I might think twice.

It's a really funny story, actually, the kids love it when we tell it.

No. But only because I had a friend do this and went through an incredibly horrifying ordeal with CPS because a worker at the store she was parked at called the police. She did absolutely nothing wrong - this lady is a very dear friend of mine and would never put her children in any kind of danger - but this nutso worker called the police and my friend had to go before a judge (several times) and finally got the charges dismissed. It was terrifying for her and her entire family. Therefore, even though, technically, I see nothing wrong with your scenario, I just don't trust people not to be nuts.:tongue_smilie:

Because of what happened this afternoon, your scenario makes me paranoid now. I did leave my 5 yo and when I opened the car door to get back in, the woman in the car next to me got out and walked over. She was very nice but told me that I should consider next time before doing it again because someone could have come along and grabbed my dd out of the car. (I think I would have noticed that...and she was buckled in!) I thanked her for her concern and left. I was very grateful she didn't call the police!

It truly was only 4-5 minutes and I truly was about 15 ft from the car the whole time. It wasn't hot and the windows were down halfway. It's a stick shift so she couldn't have started the car even if she had the keys. :) She was buckled up in the back and waiting very patiently. It wasn't busy. The lady parked next to me was the only one nearby. Everyone except a baseball coach and a couple of kids was on the other side of the field. We were parked by my son's baseball field on a neighborhood street. Just down from the city courthouse in fact. It really surprised me that someone would be so concerned over it to talk to a stranger. I don't think it was a gross neglect situation. I'm pretty relaxed but wondered if maybe I was getting too lax! I did read in the paper the other day about a woman leaving her 2 yo in the Walmart parking lot while she went in to cash a check. I do look young for my age so she might have assumed it was my first child and was worried I would try the same thing.

Edited by Cricket

It really depends on the situation? Is it hot or cold outside? Is the car running or off? Is the child sleeping? What is the parent doing? Talking on the phone? Conversing with friends? Where would the car be located? A busy Walmart parking lot? A gas station? A church parking lot?

I'm really not sure, but leaning more towards no. I don't ever leave my kids in the car alone for any reason no matter what the situation. A year or so ago there was a woman that left her child in the car, her car was taken with her child inside! I'm sure that's not the only incident like that that has ever happened.

I guess I'm just paranoid. Maybe you should had done this as a poll?

Also in my neighborhood, a woman was frantic because she accidentally left her 2 yr old locked inside her car.

Edited by parias1126

Only if one of my older kids are in the car with my 5 year old. I won't even leave her if I park directly in front of the RedBox to rent or return a movie, she is always right by my side. That's just me and what my comfort level is.

Because of what happened this afternoon, your scenario makes me paranoid now. I did leave my 5 yo and when I opened the car door to get back in, the woman in the car next to me got out and walked over. She was very nice but told me that I should consider next time before doing it again because someone could have come along and grabbed my dd out of the car. (I think I would have noticed that...and she was buckled in!) I thanked her for her concern and left. I was very grateful she didn't call the police!

It truly was only 4-5 minutes and I truly was about 15 ft from the car the whole time. It wasn't hot and the windows were down halfway. It's a stick shift so she couldn't have started the car even if she had the keys. :) She was buckled up in the back and waiting very patiently. It wasn't busy. The lady parked next to me was the only one nearby. Everyone except a baseball coach and a couple of kids was on the other side of the field. We were parked by my son's baseball field on a neighborhood street. Just down from the city courthouse in fact. It really surprised me that someone would be so concerned over it to talk to a stranger. I don't think it was a gross neglect situation. I'm pretty relaxed but wondered if maybe I was getting too lax! I did read in the paper the other day about a woman leaving her 2 yo in the Walmart parking lot while she went in to cash a check. I do look young for my age so she might have assumed it was my first child and was worried I would try the same thing.

:001_huh: Sounds like she completely overreacted.

:iagree:So much can happen.

In fact I was probably that nutso clerk the other day. I took my oldest son to the eye Dr the other day and as I was helping him unload I saw 2 very young children in the car next to us.(18 month and maybe 3-4 month olds). I sort of hung around for a few minutes while my ds was trundling to the back where the ramp was. Still no adult. I quickly went inside and told the receptionist that there were two very young children in a car in their parking lot. She went into over drive to find the parent. The mom was over trying on glasses. The receptionist told her that she would need to either go out and bring the babies in or go out and stay and the receptionist would bring glasses out to her. The mom was not happy at all.

I know that the child you are talking about is older and you said that you would only be 15 ft away but..........

No, but only because I have a vivid memory of my dad leaving my younger brother and I in his truck. We were in my grandparents driveway and the truck was not on but my brother accidentally put the truck in neutral (kicked it with his foot). I remember watching my dad chase us down the road, rip open the door, and hitting the brake. He wasn't mad at us but I will never forget the look on his face and how scared he was. I never leave my dds in the car alone but I don't think bad things about those who do in safe situations.

ETA: I noticed this was my 1000th post!!

It truly was only 4-5 minutes and I truly was about 15 ft from the car the whole time. It wasn't hot and the windows were down halfway. It's a stick shift so she couldn't have started the car even if she had the keys. :) She was buckled up in the back and waiting very patiently. It wasn't busy. The lady parked next to me was the only one nearby. Everyone except a baseball coach and a couple of kids was on the other side of the field. We were parked by my son's baseball field on a neighborhood street. Just down from the city courthouse in fact. It really surprised me that someone would be so concerned over it to talk to a stranger. I don't think it was a gross neglect situation. I'm pretty relaxed but wondered if maybe I was getting too lax! I did read in the paper the other day about a woman leaving her 2 yo in the Walmart parking lot while she went in to cash a check. I do look young for my age so she might have assumed it

was my first child and was worried I would try the same thing.

You should look up the law in your state. In Texas, it is legal to leave a child of any age unattended in a car for five minutes. So even if the lady had called the police, you weren't breaking the law (in Texas:001_smile:). I can't speak for other states.

sitting in the backseat of the car for 4-5 minutes while you stood on the sidewalk about 15 ft away, staying in full view of the vehicle at all times?

(I just want to know which one is the nutty one. :D)

Um. Yes. I would. I have. Drycleaners, Convenience store, dropping off a bill....all sorts of situations like this....

You should look up the law in your state. In Texas, it is legal to leave a child of any age unattended in a car for five minutes. So even if the lady had called the police, you weren't breaking the law (in Texas:001_smile:). I can't speak for other states.

I found a place online that says Arizona does not have any laws regarding unattended children in cars. It is left up to the discretion of law enforcement to charge adults under existing child endangerment laws. How's that for vague!

Without a problem... however, I would have to consider the temperatures here. If it's hot, no way, because I am paranoid about leaving a child in a car while running, even buckled in a car seat. The ONLY exception would be if I was *right* there standing next to the driver side door. If it was nice weather, I would leave the window rolled down, maybe even let her out of her seat, and I'd be facing where I could see the car at ALL times. I would also make sure to call to her, so that others saw I was right there, watching her the whole time. I don't consider that "unattended". Unattended would be walking away from the vehicle, and going into a store. In that scenario, it is more like I got her in the car and someone caught me on way to catch up with her at church or something.

ETA: I would go into a store and leave my 5 yr old, but only if it was to pay for gas, or run into the Post Office and drop something in their inside mail slot (no standing in line). But I swipe my card for gas, and never have to go to the P.O>, so it's a non-issue.

Edited by missesd

:iagree:So much can happen.

In fact I was probably that nutso clerk the other day. I took my oldest son to the eye Dr the other day and as I was helping him unload I saw 2 very young children in the car next to us.(18 month and maybe 3-4 month olds). I sort of hung around for a few minutes while my ds was trundling to the back where the ramp was. Still no adult. I quickly went inside and told the receptionist that there were two very young children in a car in their parking lot. She went into over drive to find the parent. The mom was over trying on glasses. The receptionist told her that she would need to either go out and bring the babies in or go out and stay and the receptionist would bring glasses out to her. The mom was not happy at all.

I know that the child you are talking about is older and you said that you would only be 15 ft away but..........

I should add there was no wall between us. :D I'd be uncomfortable leaving dd in the car even if it was 15 feet but I was inside a store and she was outside.

I found a place online that says Arizona does not have any laws regarding unattended children in cars. It is left up to the discretion of law enforcement to charge adults under existing child endangerment laws. How's that for vague!

Yep, pretty vague! When I looked up the TX law, I recall reading that you can leave children in a car supervised by someone 16 and older...but not under the age of 16. (I'm pretty sure I have the age of the teen correct.) At this point, I would feel comfortable leaving my three youngest kids alone with my 15 year old overnight...for 24 hours, etc...but it would be illegal for me to leave them in a car with her for over 5 minutes. :tongue_smilie:

The only law on the books here is as follows:

RCW 9.91.060 (Leaving children unattended in parked automobile) provides: "Every person having the care and custody, whether temporary or permanent, of minor children under the age of twelve years, who shall leave such children in a parked automobile unattended by an adult while such person enters a tavern or other premises where vinous, spirituous, or malt liquors are dispensed for consumption on the premises shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor."

We had a policeman talk to our MOMS group and he said that as long as the car isn't running and you aren't in front of a liquor store or a bar, there is no law against it.

I've left the kids in the car (locked, keys in my hand) for a minute or less while I ran in to grab my mail but only if I can park directly in front of the mailbox place (that has glass windows so I can see them the entire time). I wouldn't think anything of leaving the kids in the car while I stood outside it talking to someone for a few minutes.

There was a news story not that long ago where parents were standing outside there car little one asleep in the car talking to some one else they were travel cross country with when a man showed up out of know where and stole the car. No thanks I would drag my five year olds hiney to stand next to me.

Only if one of my older kids are in the car with my 5 year old. I won't even leave her if I park directly in front of the RedBox to rent or return a movie, she is always right by my side. That's just me and what my comfort level is.

I agree. I do leave my 4yr old daughter to open the door to DS' preschool when we're running late but I'm literally 5 feet away and the director always stands outside with me while I sign him in. I'll also buckle her in to return the cart if its in the same aisle but that's the extent of my willingness to leave them. Drycleaner, redbox or ATM--nope.

I also wanted to add that behavior doesn't have to be criminal to be considered negligent. I don't think that your actions would be considered negligent under the circumstances, and I wouldn't have said anything to you but lots of mamas in my neighborhood would have given you another minute or two to come back and would have called the cops. In my old town, the preschool warned a mother that if she left the little ones in the car while she signed the elder sibling in again that they would call the cops. You can see the whole parking lot from the sign in area but the school had received complaints and was worried about their license. I live in the heart of yuppie suburbia though.

Christine W

Edited by ChristineW

I think you were fine. My kids (ages 9 and 7) got ahead of me one day in the grocery store and turned the corner before I did. I was literally seconds behind them. Some old bat got in my face and proceeded to tell me that I could go to jail for not watching my kids. Really? People should just mind their own business.

Only 15 feet? Yes. And this is coming from someone who is queen of the paranoid parenting club. I'd lock the doors of course and have the keys with me. No way would the keys be left in the car.

:iagree: And no purse in sight. Just to not have the child frightened by a snatcher.

Poor hubby gets the cops called on him because they don't think of him as a parent. Recently he took his binoculars to watch the birds while kiddo played. Someone called him in as a pervo there without a child. By the time the police arrived, they were on their way out of the lot, and my son, before the cop could talk, said "We know, you're sorry, but you have to check out all calls."

Or young mothers think our son is alone because they don't approach the old man on the bench with a laptop and ask him. Or ask my son. This park is near some apartments, and there is evidently a few "escapers" who flee home and go to the playground.

I think you were fine. My kids (ages 9 and 7) got ahead of me one day in the grocery store and turned the corner before I did. I was literally seconds behind them. Some old bat got in my face and proceeded to tell me that I could go to jail for not watching my kids. Really? People should just mind their own business.

I think at 9 I was riding my bike to the store by myself to pick up a couple things for my Mom.;)

Totally OT but your "old bat" comment reminded me. When DD was about a year old, we were out on a fall day, she was wearing long sleeves and leggings. This old lady stopped us and said to DD "you should tell your Mommy to put a sweater on you!!!!". It was 75 degrees outside.:rolleyes:

:iagree: And no purse in sight. Just to not have the child frightened by a snatcher.

Poor hubby gets the cops called on him because they don't think of him as a parent. Recently he took his binoculars to watch the birds while kiddo played. Someone called him in as a pervo there without a child. By the time the police arrived, they were on their way out of the lot, and my son, before the cop could talk, said "We know, you're sorry, but you have to check out all calls."

Or young mothers think our son is alone because they don't approach the old man on the bench with a laptop and ask him. Or ask my son. This park is near some apartments, and there is evidently a few "escapers" who flee home and go to the playground.

That is crazy! I've met your husband and he seems the most harmless of all men! I'm so sorry he (and your son) deal with this!