Menu

would you purchase a TV series on DVD?

This has nothing to do with my other TV thread, I am just curious.

I personally only watch a TV show once. I may catch a rerun if nothing else is on, but I wouldn't watch it on DVD more than once.

I have often wondered why people buy a TV series on DVD and if they watch them multiple times.

Dawn

Some, yes. We have (that I can think of at the moment):

Buffy

Brother Cadfael

Jeeves and Wooster

Young Indiana Jones

Forever Knight

Looney Tunes

Animaniacs

Kamichu

Pink Panther

Fawlty Towers

The Muppet Show

We've been given Babylon 5 on vhs, which we will have to see about (haven't watched it yet). Others we might consider are Firefly and Doctor Who. We had Angel, but sold it. We are actively trying to winnow down our collections (books, cds, dvds).

We do not pay for cable, and where we live now, couldn't get all the US shows anyway even if we wanted to.

We buy TV shows on DVD for that reason. Some we watch more than once, others no.

Even when we lived in the US we bought a few, mainly those were because we did not start watching a show until it was already in the 2nd, 3rd, etc. season. So, we bought season one and started there to "catch up."

Then, we much preferred the ability to watch an episode a night vs. waiting a week, dealing with weeks of re-runs, etc, as well as having it on our schedule and not the network's. Yes, even though that meant, once we caught up, we had to wait a year for the newest season to be released.

Also, I realize many of the shows are available on network websites, hulu, etc. but those are not viewable outside the US (so don't work for us) and we don't like to watch on the computer screen (too small).

Of the shows we've bought, only a few do we watch over and over again. Still, at $30 or so on average per season, that's roughly what? a month? of cable costs.....(where we lived before, we'd have needed cable to get decent, watchable reception at all). So, in the end it is still cheaper for us to buy the DVD sets rather than pay for cable every month. And then we do have something we can either re-sell, pass on to friends, or watch again if we choose.

Really makes a lot of sense, at least in our case.

This is one of my problems with going to Netflix only...we would need to get the DVD rental as not everything is streaming.....and even when it does come out, it is quite a bit of time after the season is over.

Dawn

If Mad Men was on Netflix(streaming) I would not have bought them.. I have watched Firefly a few times as well, but since that is on Netflix streaming I won't buy it.

We do have Netflix and that factors into our decisions (and we don't have cable or satellite, so this is the way we watch shows). We just got a Roku for Yule, which has made watching streaming infinitely easier (and I love some of their free channels). Things that are streaming don't always stay that way, so I don't necessarily plan to get rid of something we already have and value if it becomes streaming. We're not that tight on space.

I personally only watch a TV show once. I may catch a rerun if nothing else is on, but I wouldn't watch it on DVD more than once.

I have often wondered why people buy a TV series on DVD and if they watch them multiple times.

Dawn

You are SO not a fangirl! :lol:

I currently own seasons 1-4 of Grey's Anatomy, seasons 1-8 of smallville, my dh owns many seasons of Lost as well as some Star Trek Seasons. I can't even remember how many times I've watched my Grey's Anatomy DVDs. I love them for weekends when we have downtime and there is nothing good on to watch or during the summer. We LOVE tv in our house, I'm sure we'll own many more TV series sets on DVD as time goes on.

The TV upstairs, which is in the bedroom I had lots of clothes and books to sort, files of my Mother's to sort thru, and the TV was not digital, so was not really useful except for DVDs and VHSs, so I would buy something entertaining, but not too engrossing, and I'd watch them several times, kinda catching new details as I repeated. It was things like JAG and several seasons of Frasier. If I put on a good movie, I'd get interested in that and watch it, rather than work. Then, I got Netflix, so the TV is wonderfully useful now, for watching at my convenience.

I don't think I would ever sit down and watch a series of TV shows, one at a time over a period of time, mostly because I'd probably want to watch one right after another. I'm watching the "Bones" on Netflix, now, while working at the computer, only. Well, tryin'

LBS

That was the greatest show, ever! I really didn't think it needed to end yet.....I miss it.

Dawn

Only LOST ever seemed worth owning--to re-watch, study, think about.

And then it ended. :svengo:

Now to figure out how to find someone to buy the ones I've got. :lol:

I would buy Carol Burnett on DVD if I could find it where it didn't cost a fortune. I loved her show growing up. :) I also want to buy Que Pasa, USA? on dvd. I loved that show, but it costs a hundred dollars for the set! :eek: so I haven't done it yet. But I've wanted it for years!

We like watching without the horrid commercials, and some of the shows we want to watch aren't available for streaming. Also we buy a lot of shows that we want to be able to share with our dc when they get older.

We have all of the Sharpe's Rifles episodes that we got from the UK cheap (we figured out how to get a zone free dvd player)

Sapphire and Steel, another British show

Fawlty Towers

Black Adder

Monty Python

Prime Minister

Babylon 5

Star Trek (original)

Battlestar Gallactica (original)

Davy Crockett

Little House on the Prairie

...I'll stop there.

Oh, I forgot about Firefly and Buck Rogers!

;)

I've enjoyed watching Firefly more than once and having Lost on hand was a great way to keep from getting...well, from getting lost.

Firefly was recently at amazon and Target for $14.00.

I do buy the things I've really loved because I tend to be a rewatcher. I'd much rather rewatch something I enjoyed than watch something new that I'm so-so about.

Who (Yes, I have Doctor Who also ) knows though, Netflix has opened up a lot of new stuff for me, so maybe that will change.

When I'm on the treadmill I usually watch Survivor and the Amazing Race the day after each episode is aired. When I don't have one of those episodes to watch, I go through three tv shows that I have on dvd: Gilmore Girls, Firefly, and Friends. I don't know how many times I have seen them, but they are some of my favorites.

This has nothing to do with my other TV thread, I am just curious.

Dawn

Yes Star Trek: The Next Generation. I can watch that over and over and over... have in fact!

We have done this with several series. We wait until they are finished, then purchase them and watch them. We are less likely to do this now because of Netflix and DVR, but it was a nice way to watch episodes when we wanted to and not worry about the whims of once a week scheduling and such.:001_smile:

Guest momk2000

We have The Brady Bunch, my girls love it, and they wach the episodes over and over. Sometimes I enjoy watching with them. I loved the Bradys when I was a kid. :D

I admit that I have all 7 seasons of Buffy on DVD.

I also just caved and bought the first 3 seasons of Big Bang Theory.

Please pretend I never posted that. ;)

LOL Buffy had THE BEST opening song of any show! hehehe My dh used to watch that one all the time. :)

We absolutely watch shows more than once, which is what makes them worth buying. I have Buffy the Vampire Slayer, all seven seasons, and I've watched it at least 5 or 6 times. We have Babylon 5, and I have watched it at least 3 times in its entirety, DH probably a few times more than that.