Menu

Do you lend out curriculum? Would you ask to borrow from a friend?

I'm wondering where you stand regarding loaning out/borrowing curriculum. I've never had anybody ask me to borrow curriculum but I imagine if it's not something I was using that at the time that I would loan it out to someone I trust. I've offered to lend people some hs'ing stuff but usually they don't want to because they don't end up using it or it's something they'd rather own themselves so they don't take it up on me.

The flip side of that is would you ask someone to borrow something they owned? A friend of mine owns something that I would really like to borrow rather than purchase (it's $75 and I don't know if I'd use it again with subsequent children) but I'm too chicken to ask. I'm worried she'll feel obliged to lend it to me even if she doesn't want to or that she'll think I should simply buy my own.

So, where do you stand regarding these things?

If you would loan out your hs'ing materials - are there limitations to what you would lend? For example- Not anything on CD or not anything not that was OOP ... or only books that aren't "curriculum" (or vice versa) or ... only for "X" amount of time or ... I dunno... what would *your* stipulations be?

How about borrowing? How do you feel about asking someone to borrow something they own? Is it too forward to do that?

Of course, I know the old saying, neither a lender nor a borrower be and I'm hesitant about it all but on the flip side, it sure would be nice if us hs'ers could help each other out from time to time. HS'ing can get so darn expensive, especially when there's usually the uncertainty that something is going to work for your child.

I would only lend what I was willing and able to give away and repurchase.

That is the ONLY way to be sure that no matter what bazillion possible ways it could either never be seen again or in the same condition, a friendship isn't strained.

I would ask a VERY good friend and I would absolutely handle with uber care and I would feel zero upset if they said no.

I only loan out what I am willing to give away, as many times they do not come back.

When I loan something out, I always tell the person...."I am loaning this to you in new condition, if something happens to it, I would expect that it get replaced in new condition". We usually laugh and I tell them the story about me lending a laundry basket of books for a week, to a fellow teacher who was putting together a unit study. She was previewing my books to decide which ones she wanted to purchase. She had over $300 worth of my books, many which were BRAND new books. It rained and she forgot that her truck leaked. Every book was ruined. She wrote me a check and paid for everything, but it was really hard for both of us. I knew she didn't have the money to pay me, but I needed the books replaced.

I have other friends who have loaned things out and then the person returns it with water damage from a glass being placed on the cover, or spilled on the pages. I have seen people loan books and the the person who borrowed them is never seen again...assumably they moved and never contacted the person to give back the books. I know others who have loaned out materials, and then when they ask for them back the borrower, the borrower loaned it to someone else. Another common tale is that the borrower says they never borrowed that item from the person, but they instead bought their own copy.

I do have one friend who I loan things out to for a year at a time. She always returns them in a reasonable condition. I also know that she would replace them, if she damaged them beyond normal wear and tear.

I have borrowed items too. But, I am super careful with books and my friends know this. When I borrow, I ask for a date the person would like it returned on. I don't let them say, 'whenever' because that can mean different things to different people. I ask "one week, one month or 3 months"....that lets them set a deadline and I am able to honor the commitment.

I've borrowed items that I was considering buying for a short-term trial (a few weeks) to make sure that it was a good "fit". I wouldn't feel comfortable asking to borrow something long-term.

I've lent items out selectively, to people whom I can trust to either return or replace if it came to that. Knock on wood, I've always gotten everything back in fine shape.

Just had this conversation today. There are some families I would not hesitate to loan books or curriculum or to ask if I could borrow from them. There have been times when the answer is no due to scheduling conflicts. That happens, but with these families, it never hurts to ask.

Now, there are some I will not loan to, therefore I do not ask to borrow. They have a tendency to loan loaned books out to other people or to not take good care of the books.

So, I guess it depends on your relationship with the folks and how comfortable you feel about lending and borrowing with them.

If I was at her house regularly enough to take it off a shelf when I need it and wave it around and say "Hey! I'm taking back my xyz book!" then yes . :lol: I am cool with loaning and asking to borrow but if we had younger kiddos who might use something at the same time I might be more apt to just buy my own copy.

Nope. I lent a bunch of stuff to my former pastor's wife and I'm still waiting over a year later to get the items back. I won't ever lend again unless I'm SURE I don't care if I get the item returned. Maybe that's not all Christian-like, but I now have to replace some of these things and *I* am the one who is low income!! Argh.

I have borrowed a book to use for one year; I've happily lent out a few things, including a DVD language curriculum. In general, I'm not very willing to borrow or lend curriculum though. Its purpose is to be used, and I don't want to get it back any more used than it already is!

A friend of mine owns something that I would really like to borrow rather than purchase (it's $75 and I don't know if I'd use it again with subsequent children) but I'm too chicken to ask.

I would ask if she would might consider selling it. That gives her the option to offer to lend it to you, or you might be able to buy it for a good price.

It depends on the friend. One of my neighbors and I borrow and lend books to each other. Wouldn't think twice about it.

A couple of week ago I lent books to another friend to look through. Without asking me, she lent them to one of her friends. When I got them back they stank like stale cigarette smoke. UGH! That friend, she won't leave my house with another of my books.

I've borrowed things before, when someone has offered. It was harder for me because I like to write in books and this curriculum I fought the urge to do so.

I generally don't lend because I'm anal about the condition of my books. Plus I make notes all over my novels and teaching material. From the outside they still look new though, most of the time.

I do give away things that I know I won't use again and tell people to do with as they please. It's easier that way I feel released from it and don't have to worry about it.

I broke my rule and loaned out my Curly Girl book that had been a gift. I never got it back and never will at this point.

I don't think there is any harm in asking. I'd have a harder time asking about something that would be hard to replace if I damaged it.

With most of the people I know I wouldn't think twice when it comes to lending, even if I might not be bold enough to openly ask to borrow something I suspect they might wish to use. It goes without saying, though, that items are borrowed and lended under the tacit condition that they will not be lended to third parties without my consent, that they will be taken care of and returned within a reasonable time frame in a good shape.

With people that I don't know well enough and/or who have a "history" of not returning other items they borrowed from me (or other people I know) I might be more cautious and limit myself to lending only those items I don't care for if they're gone - or just not lending.

I also don't have a problem with openly asking the thing back if I believe that reasonable time frame has expired.

Edited by Ester Maria

I've only loaned curriculum to one friend, who is very trustworthy and always returns items....even when I've forgotten she's borrowed them. Other people, I'm happy to have come over and look at the material if they're debating about purchasing something I own....but I don't let it leave my house.

I never borrow anyone else's curriculum. If I ruined something, I'd never forgive myself. LOL

I would only lend to let a person preview the curriculum, not to use it the whole year. I'd be happy to let her give a few lessons a try to see if it would work for her and maybe even until her order came (assuming she ordered it promptly).

I would only ask to borrow something as a preview, not instead of buying it myself. I rarely get the chance to see something beforehand and would greatly appreciate it if I could borrow something for a week to look through it before deciding to purchase, but I wouldn't use a friend's curriculum to avoid buying it myself.

I don't feel comfortable borrowing unless it's to look at with the intent of figuring out whether or not I want to buy it. Same goes with lending something. I don't want to pay money for something only to loan it out with the intent of them using it and saving money. They can have it for a few days to look it over but then I want it back. That way there are no hard feelings amongst friends.

I am happy to lend things to friends to look over in the short term, and to lend out non-consumable texts which I am not currently using, eg. the Saxon Algebra I text we'll be using in the fall. I don't lend things which I cannot replace, either due to finances or to rarity. I figure that a little sharing goes a long way! :D

• 2 months later...

wow. i guess i have a REALLY good friend... she had been giving me hs advice to help me take the plunge! I had spoken about using calvert. she was like ummmmm here borrow my sonlight, please, please!!

she loaned me core 3 and 4. almost complete, a few books missing here and there, and i had to buy the consumables. Oh, yeah, and core 4 is missing 2 weeks of the schedule...

In return, I had her landmark history book spiral bound, (that thing was falling apart) and put her notes in a new binder (that thing was falling apart, too). And she said I would probably return it to her in better condition that she gave it to me. (still hoping to find someone to send me those 2 weeks of the schedule to add back to the IG)

i've had them for over a year. I finished core 3 and just started core 4.

she was going to loan me some science but that I was nervous about destroying. maybe next year.

I am going to loan out my Teaching textbooks 5 to a different friend but she is loaning me 7!!

Robin

I would borrow curriculum only to look at it and see if I would like to order it myself. I would not feel comfortable asking to borrow it long-term. Maybe from my very best friends and sister I would, but they do not homeschool.

I remember some years ago, after I scrimped and save to buy the Videotext Algebra sets, a friend (not a close friend) asked if she could borrow all of my books/tapes as I finished using them. It was a little awkward, because here I had saved so hard to get them, and she was getting them for free! Plus I needed them all back in another year for the next child down.

In the end, I decided to lend to her; her family was going through difficult times and I wanted to help her out. And, she ended up paying me $20 for each set that she borrowed. I did get them all back.:)

I have borrowed and loaned books often over the years. In fact I have some copies of books that I still own just so I can loan them out (I'm on my 3rd copy of So You're Thinking About Homeschooling, for example.)

But for more expensive stuff, I generally loan to people that I'd be comfortable loaning my children to. If I'm not close enough to them that I'd send my kids there without qualms, then I probably don't know them well enough to loan books I need back.

I also would loan more readily to someone I see often (church, scouts, sports) than someone I see infrequently (park day, bowling).

What I have also done is met someone at Starbucks with a bag of books so they could preview them before ordering their own. It gives them a better sample than the couple pages they might find online, and they can ask lots of questions. But then I go home with my books.

One other thought is to help a support group to start a lending library. The first IRL group we were with (back when the oldest was a preschooler) had a small lending library.

It was mostly how to books, but also had a few items like Jim Weiss tapes or kids' books on particular subjects (especially local history or US govenment).

You could see the list of materials or just browse when it was laid out at a meeting. There were check out cards and everything. It was quite a blessing.

I have no problem lending curricula that I am not currently using to others. If I plan to use something in a set period of time, I just tell the person that I'll need it back by ____ date. I know that curriculum can be expensive, so I'm happy to help someone else save some money. I love curricula/books, so I have more than enough to go around. :tongue_smilie:

I have borrowed from others, but mostly to check out something before buying. I can't think of a time when I just used someone else's for an extended period of time, but it's possible that I have I suppose.

I've only loaned curriculum to one friend, who is very trustworthy and always returns items....even when I've forgotten she's borrowed them. Other people, I'm happy to have come over and look at the material if they're debating about purchasing something I own....but I don't let it leave my house.

:iagree:

I took the last part of the quote out because I have also borrowed from this one friend...I am VERY careful with my books and such, so we never had a problem...Her kids are in private school now, so I guess my borrow and lending days are over...

To the OP, I would ask to look at it with her, either at her house, a park you meet at, or where ever you see her...I wouldn't ask to borrow it though...If she offers to let you use it, then it is fine, but I wouldn't ask because I don't like when people ask to borrow my books and things if I can't afford to give it away...

I have 3 kids and find it hard to borrow now anyway because I want to have things on hand to use with my younger children...I ended up buying a lot of what I borrowed for that reason...

I loan ALL the time. I've homeschooled for almost 24 years now and have always been blessed with the ability to purchase anything we've ever needed. I show gratitude for God's generosity to me by being generous towards others. I try not to even see it as "MINE". There have been a few minor losses, nothing to cry over. Blessings are intended to flow like a river...:001_smile:

Geo

Edited by Geo

That is the ONLY way to be sure that no matter what bazillion possible ways it could either never be seen again or in the same condition, a friendship isn't strained.

I would ask a VERY good friend and I would absolutely handle with uber care and I would feel zero upset if they said no.

:iagree: This sums up my feelings perfectly.

Same here.

That said, I have a LOT of curriculum stuff that is in that situation, that I'll likely end up giving away anyways (because I got it for free in the first place).

I also understand that sometimes you have to really try something for a bit before knowing if it will work for your family, not just look it over. Maybe something looks great, but the kids end up screaming every time they see it after one or two lessons. Sometimes something isn't impressive at first glance, or doesn't appeal to me personally, but ends up working well. I'd hate for someone who is struggling to buy something based on their first impression and have it end up being a bad fit for them.

I'm unlikely to lend out things that we're actively using, or that I know we're going to use in the future. But other things I'm not too picky about.

Edited by ocelotmom

I loan ALL the time. I've homeschooled for almost 24 years now and have always been blessed with the ability to purchase anything we've ever needed. I show gratitude for God's generosity to me by being generous towards others. I try not to even see it as "MINE". There have been a few minor losses, nothing to cry over. Blessings are intended to flow like a river...:001_smile:

Geo

I think this is lovely. I have stacks of curricula and worthwhile books. There are people I know who I would like to lend to, but for now I don't lend. If I'm ready to part with it, I just give it away. With Dh's job we could be transferred at any time. It wouldn't be practical to get a two week notice of a transfer and ask people for my stuff back in the middle of their school year. Once the baby is through each level, I will lend out most things. If it doesn't come back, it won't matter so much then.

I do have issues with my books. If any one person wrecks my stuff, I probably wouldn't lend to them again. But that wouldn't stop me from lending in general.

I loan things out to people who I know will take care of the stuff and get it back to me in good condition. I've never had a problem.

I have borrowed things to look at them and see if I wanted to buy them myself, but I'm not so crazy about borrowing other people's things to actually use them. Though, now that I think about it, someone did lend me 5 or 6 of the SL core 4 books this year, which was nice. Most of the time, I'd rather buy something myself than borrow it because I worry about the item getting damaged or even just not being in as good condition as when I received it.

Lisa

In general, my answer is no. It would have too much potential for angst & friendship problems.

However, there has been one exception: a friend who lived nearby--walking distance--would borrow books. Random books that I didn't mind loaning. Over the years, we used ea others' homes as extensions of our own wrt books. She *always* remembered what she'd borrowed & returned them.

W/ her, I would have felt comfortable borrowing/lending just about anything, down to an actual kid.

As a rule, though, I like people too much to risk messing up a relationship w/ borrowing/lending. Or I don't like them enough to risk extra reason for dislike. :lol:

My gut reaction, w/o reading any other responses is no.

However, I have no problem with doing show & tell with my friends if they wanted to look at something they knew I had before they bought it.

:iagree: I don't feel comfy enough with anyone here yet to trust that I'd get materials back, and I definitely don't trust my kids not to spill water or splatter pasta sauce all over the borrowed curriculum!

What I much prefer is to have a small get-together, with everyone bringing over the materials each other is interested in and rifling through it all. I love being able to ask others' questions about the curriculum in action, I get to see more than a few samples pages of something and I don't have to stress about remembering to return something to this person, etc. It's worked out great, and it's a fun opportunity to talk shamelessly about how awesome all the stuff we use has been for DD. :tongue_smilie: I'm actually thinking of doing this sometime this summer with friends as they keep nagging me to help them figure out what to use as I'm the 'only one who's actually doing anything'. :lol:

I lend out curriculum that I'm not using. In fact, each year, I loan out my MUS teacher's materials to a dear friend whose daughter is one year younger than my oldest. She "checks" out my teacher's materials for the year and returns them when she's done (because I plan to use them with my next child in a few years). She is very careful about taking care of them and has already said that if anything ever happened to damage any of the materials, she would buy me a brand new copy. It has not been a problem and I am happy to be able to encourage friends to be wise stewards of our resources ($) by sharing materials.

• 2 months later...

I would (and have) lent out to others. I only lend out things that I am fine with not getting back. In fact, I often forget I lent things and when they're returned it's like Christmas, LOL!

I won't borrow from others. Things tend to be heavily used at our house and it would cause too much stress on me to be sure everything was well taken care of. For this same reason (and a tendency to forget) we don't use the library, either.

I only loan out what I am willing to give away, as many times they do not come back.

When I loan something out, I always tell the person...."I am loaning this to you in new condition, if something happens to it, I would expect that it get replaced in new condition". We usually laugh and I tell them the story about me lending a laundry basket of books for a week, to a fellow teacher who was putting together a unit study. She was previewing my books to decide which ones she wanted to purchase. She had over $300 worth of my books, many which were BRAND new books. It rained and she forgot that her truck leaked. Every book was ruined. She wrote me a check and paid for everything, but it was really hard for both of us. I knew she didn't have the money to pay me, but I needed the books replaced.

I have other friends who have loaned things out and then the person returns it with water damage from a glass being placed on the cover, or spilled on the pages. I have seen people loan books and the the person who borrowed them is never seen again...assumably they moved and never contacted the person to give back the books. I know others who have loaned out materials, and then when they ask for them back the borrower, the borrower loaned it to someone else. Another common tale is that the borrower says they never borrowed that item from the person, but they instead bought their own copy.

I do have one friend who I loan things out to for a year at a time. She always returns them in a reasonable condition. I also know that she would replace them, if she damaged them beyond normal wear and tear.

I have borrowed items too. But, I am super careful with books and my friends know this. When I borrow, I ask for a date the person would like it returned on. I don't let them say, 'whenever' because that can mean different things to different people. I ask "one week, one month or 3 months"....that lets them set a deadline and I am able to honor the commitment.

:iagree:This has been my experience as well. I have very similar stories.

So, where do you stand regarding these things?

I have loaned curricula many times. In return, I have borrowed a few items.

If you would loan out your hs'ing materials - are there limitations to what you would lend? For example- Not anything on CD or not anything not that was OOP ... or only books that aren't "curriculum" (or vice versa) or ... only for "X" amount of time or ... I dunno... what would *your* stipulations be?

So far the stipulation has been for the user to return it by the time I need it again in usable condition. I did offer to lend something on CD, but to someone who I know takes exquisite care of things. I suppose I am a bit more careful of those than books.

How about borrowing? How do you feel about asking someone to borrow something they own? Is it too forward to do that?

Well, ordinarily I would say it's not too forward, but I guess it would depend on my relationship with the person. I know I recently bought something I am perfectly aware my SIL owns (somebody I have given and lent a number of items).

I would only lend to let a person preview the curriculum, not to use it the whole year. I'd be happy to let her give a few lessons a try to see if it would work for her and maybe even until her order came (assuming she ordered it promptly).

I would only ask to borrow something as a preview, not instead of buying it myself. I rarely get the chance to see something beforehand and would greatly appreciate it if I could borrow something for a week to look through it before deciding to purchase, but I wouldn't use a friend's curriculum to avoid buying it myself.

I did this one time with my VP Omnibus I TM, not exactly a cheap book. This was a new teacher that needed to look through it for "maybe 3 weeks". I finally had to ask for it (multiple times) a year and a half later :glare: The copy I got back wasn't mine and not as nice. Apparently he let a child use my copy and he had written his name in it :confused:

Now I ONLY lend if I don't care what happens to it or to my family, because I know they'll replace it with a new/like copy.

Funny you should ask. I haven't homeschooled for years, but I was recently asked by a fairly new acquaintance if I would mind giving her any or all my leftover homeschool materials. This request came out of the blue.

I was utterly dumbfounded. I barely know this woman. The nerve!!

To answer the questions, I would not loan materials. If I no longer needed them I either gave them to someone in need or sold them. I only asked to borrow a book once, and gave it back within 48 hours (and this was from a very close friend).

I very, very rarely shared my crayons or markers with other kids in school. They always messed them up. You think I'm going to loan an expensive curriculum? Only if you were a super close friend with a reputation for taking very good care of stuff.

As far as borrowing, I would think about asking to borrow something for the short term, like to try it out for a week or 2 to see if I wanted to buy it. I don't think I would feel comfortable keeping something borrowed for months.

wow. i guess i have a REALLY good friend... she had been giving me hs advice to help me take the plunge! I had spoken about using calvert. she was like ummmmm here borrow my sonlight, please, please!!

she loaned me core 3 and 4. almost complete, a few books missing here and there, and i had to buy the consumables. Oh, yeah, and core 4 is missing 2 weeks of the schedule...

In return, I had her landmark history book spiral bound, (that thing was falling apart) and put her notes in a new binder (that thing was falling apart, too). And she said I would probably return it to her in better condition that she gave it to me. (still hoping to find someone to send me those 2 weeks of the schedule to add back to the IG)

i've had them for over a year. I finished core 3 and just started core 4.

she was going to loan me some science but that I was nervous about destroying. maybe next year.

I am going to loan out my Teaching textbooks 5 to a different friend but she is loaning me 7!!

Robin

This makes a difference because you both have something invested in the transaction.

I have lent out materials and borrowed materials, but only to/from a few people I knew well and trusted. Usually the persons did not ask to borrow, I volunteered the materials. The same with what I was lent. I did not ask for it, the other persons offered. I've also given freely given away material to people I knew needed it, but they did not ask for it.

no and no.

If I borrowed something from somebody else I would be terrified that someone here (kids, cat, me, who knows) would do something that would get it into a condition it was not in when it was lent to me and then I'd feel responsible for that, and all stressed out wondering if that would happen etc.

Likewise, if I lent something out, I would be afraid that it would get lost or not get returned or come back to me in a worse condition than it was when I lent it out in, and I would not be happy about that.

Better to just stick to my own curriculum stuff- and keep it here at home, with me!